Nightwatch

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    londondyke
    Participant

Thank heaven my exams are all finished…I watched a cool Russian film called Nightwatch last night. I liked it a lot. Didn’t know WHAT THE……was going on for the first 20 minutes. Great ending.  

londondyke
    Participant

Has nobody else seen this film then? It is Russian. I liked the surreal elements, that behind humanity there was an eternal battle between the forces of light and darkness going on. 

fisk0
    Participant

I saw the first film in the series a few years ago, had some moments, but over all I wasn’t that fond of it.

Russia has made some fantastic sci-fi though like Stalker and Solaris, and some beautiful animated stuff, like an animated short based on one of Ray Bradbury’s Martian Chronicles short stories. It’s on youtube somewhere, though I can’t remember the name of it right now.

londondyke
    Participant

If you remember the name of it fisk0 let me know (the animated one). I found out there was a sequel to Nightwatch, I found it last night on Amazon for 1p + postage,  all the reviews I read were good so I had to have that.

Solaris…..should I watch the original or the George Clooney version?    

fisk0
    Participant

Watch both, they are pretty different, I like the sets and the tone of the Tarkovsky film better, but there Clooney version has some great moments and a fantastic minimalistic soundtrack by Cliff Martinez (the soundtrack for the russian film is also great, but mainly consist of classical organ music by Bach).

The english title of the soviet animation was "There will come soft rain", available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfI69DC_jaw

londondyke
    Participant

Wow thanks fisk0 that animation is so cool. So sad.

londondyke
    Participant

I got hold of Daywatch and started watching it last night , but I was so tired I fell asleep before the end. That is not to say it was boring or anything, the bit I saw was very good, honest.

londondyke
    Participant

I took time out and watched the whole of Daywatch the other night (without falling asleep this time!)  I liked it just as much as the first film. The ending was neat, (in the sense of tidy) so  neat that I don’t really know how they are going to  get a third film out of that  (I read it was always planned as a trilogy) unless thay are going to use a diferent set of characters….the character of Anton Gorodetsky is quite interesting, he should be a minor player really, he is a fool who drinks too much but  everything happens around/because of him, he is a catalyst.   

SadGeezer
    Keymaster

They are both defo very cool.  I need to go and watch them again  🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.