The Fifth Element

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    londondyke
    Participant

My filmology increases! I saw this last week and I think it is my favourite scifi film so far. It was so visually exciting and had a really British feel to it although lots of American actors were in it. The fat aliens/robots? at the beginning were so hilarious and it just went from one crazy scene to another without getting boring.

t times I really liked Milla Jo-whatever and then other times I found her very irritating but that’s just me, I think overall she was OK as was Bruce Willis. I think what I liked  aprt from the visual aspect was lots of asian characters and black characters and  some of uncertain sexuality which all seemed right for the plot somehow.

It didn’t try to explain itself too seriously it was just there to look at and enjoy. Does anyone want to discuss this film?

theFrey
    Participant

I rewatch this at least every couple of months. It really picks up for me when they are in the air/spac port. From there to the end it just never stops. ๐Ÿ˜€

londondyke
    Participant

Yes I think it is  a film I could watch over and over. . I like the beginning part and also that moment when Leloo is standing on  the ledge and sees the city for the first time. The music and everything, and the scared expression on her face-that’s a great moment for me. And the sleep buttons on the space ship is a great idea. 

fisk0
    Participant

I love the setting, the visual style and most of the music, but I never liked the humour in it, and there are parts of it where they just go on and on with terrible jokes. The action sequences are awesome though.

londondyke
    Participant

Hi fisk0,  I think the humour   is OK,  but I can understand why you  might not. The weakest part for me is where Leeloo beats up the aliens in the  spaceship/hotel suite. Her martial arts skills are rubbish here and she looks weak. Can’t understand why more effort wasn’t made , she was much better in Resident Evil.

scifisarah
    Participant

This is a great film! Doesn’t take its self too seriously and is just fun to watch. Milla Jojovich looks ace as well, every time I watch it I end up wanting bright orange hair!

theFrey
    Participant
    I had read years ago that the director was concerned that Chris Tucker would refuse to wear the Ruby Rod get ups.  So he had some even more outrageous sketches and costumes made and shown to Mr. Tucker .

Apparently Chris was so glad when they decided not to use the dresses and to go with the jumpsuit outfits that he didn’t even complain about the weird hair.
    londondyke
    Participant

I like bits of trivia like that. Ruby Rod was a great character.

TikTok
    Participant

I loved the scene where Leeloo was recreated from a fragment of Monagewan DNA, it reminded me of Carry On Screaming where John Pertwee recreates a new version of Oddbod from his missing finger! Except the FX were better!

londondyke
    Participant

John Pertwee was the third Doctor Who wasn’t he? So was that a Dr Who episode TikTok? Not heard of that one.

TikTok
    Participant

Pertwee was indeed the 3rd (and my favourite) Doctor. In the film Carry On Screaming he had a bit part as a police "scientist" and hence the "regeneration" scene. Carry on Screaming was a later Carry On film starring Kenneth Williams, Jim Dale, Fenella Fielding and Harry H Corbett (Steptoe and Son). The film was a take off of late 60’s horror movies (Hammer House of Horror, Roger Corman etc…).

theFrey
    Participant

Yea the recreation scene was good. The smirky doc was wonderful. But I also liked the general, he added a nice bit of humour whenever he was on screen.

It’s a shame about him though. Brion James, the general,  gave an interview in Aug of 99, one of the things that he spoke of was that the main ‘baddies’ like Gene Hackman and some of the others were in their sixty’s. He was hoping as they shlowed down he would get bigger parts. He died later that month. ๐Ÿ™

londondyke
    Participant

I liked Brion james as Leon in Blade Runner the best. I just looked him up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brion_James

TikTok
    Participant

Brion James was a superb actor, I loved him in Blade Runner. He also had more bit parts (A Team, Diagnosis Murder, Columbo etc) than you could shake a stick at. He was good friends with Tim Thomerson (Trancers, Zone Troopers etc) and the two of them provided a really strong second string of actors though Hollywood tended to ignore them in favour of first string actors regardless. Check out "Nemesis" (with Olivier Gruner, NB not the Star Trek movie) as a good example of their work.

londondyke
    Participant

Thanks TikTok I will go hunting for Nemesis

ecsange
    Participant

Hi – Yes, excellent film. It is such a wild ride. But, I do have to agree with londondyke. Milo was annoying and I don’t know why they chose her. She was supposed to be the most beautiful woman and I found her to be too skinny, flatchested, not that pretty and ho-hum. Anyway … I don’t cast. Nevertheless, I loved this movie and haven’t seen anything that has wowed me in the theaters since, really.

I saw Matrix – gr8 film and a bunch of others, but Fifth Element had it all.

Elaine

@inkdipped

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.