HTML question

• This topic has 23 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    DalekTek790
    Participant

I’m not sure where to post this, but I have seen posts with stuff like bold lettering and different colored font and I was wondering how the #$%* you do all that neat stuff. Some of SadGeezer’s posts have whole photos in them, do you have to be a moderator to do that? And is it possible to post stuff in italics?

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

Anonymous

Hey, Dalek, good question! And, since I am still learning this groovy stuff, too; I’ll list a few of my favorite places to bone up and practice.

1. DCN
    2. HTML in 7 Easy Steps
    3. “Home Page” Home Page
    4. Writing HTML
    5. Annabella’s HTML Help
    6. 7’s Practice Editor
    7. Easy HTML

‘Annabella’s’ is really user friendly and you can try everything out on the ‘Practice Editor.’ There are tons of sites! If I can find my ‘cheat’ tags page, I’ll add it later. Now, I can only hope I won’t have to sit editing this all night ‘cuz, like I said, I’m still learning, too! This stuff looks like a jumbled mess before the computer spits it back out lookin’ good. But, if I can learn it, so can your poodle!

PS: It’s not the one I wanted but it looks as simple: Quick Guide to HTML Tags. And, it’s got italics! Hopefully, Sad will tell BOTH of us how to do that picture thing.
    ——————
    “Time begins then time ends, and then time begins once again.”

[This message has been edited by BlackCloud (edited 01-30-2001).]

Anonymous
    Inactive

You can use standard HTML in posts, but you can also use UBB code, click the link to the left when replying or look at http://www.sadgeezer.com/ubb/ubbcode.html

DalekTek790
    Participant

Thanks.

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by BlackCloud:
    Hopefully, Sad will tell BOTH of us how to do that picture thing.

Oki, the picture thing. I’ll tell you the html rather than the UBB code since you can do a lot more with the html tag.

The objective is to get the ‘Cult TV Sci Fi SadBOARD’ logo into this message. I also want it to be placed on the right and have the text wrapped round it on the left.

For placeing pictures this way you need to use the tag. The syntax is:

All I need to do now is fill in the address of the image. I right click on the image above and find that it’s full address is
    http://www.sadgeezer.com/ubb/%5B/url%5D

So I put that into the code and get:

I place this code at the start of the paragraph (I.e. And there it….) to get the following:

And there it is. You can see that the text is now wrapped around the image which is aligned right. Simple huh?

You ned to make sure that there is no space between the ” (I couldn’t do it because the Board tried to execute the code – silly board

——————

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited 01-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited April 03, 2001).]

Anonymous

Okay, here goes nothing!
    Hey, that UBB looks pretty cool; and less coding? Oh, waitaminute…when we edit messages, the messages are converted to this UBB code, isn’t it? I’d see the [ * ] thingys and just thought it was a fancy spancy way of rendering . How do you spell, D’OH! **as the eyes move left and finally “see” the words “*UBB Code is ON” Observant, ain’t I?

——————

Anonymous

Omigarfish, Sad, that is soooooo kewl!!! And, here I thought it was magik gettin’ those photos in there! Thanks for spellin’ it out nice and simple like. ‘Course, now I’ll be ‘picturing’ everyone to death!

——————

DalekTek790
    Participant

Okay, I’ll try this…

[This message has been edited by DalekTek790 (edited 01-31-2001).]

DalekTek790
    Participant

Okay, I’ll try this again…

[This message has been edited by DalekTek790 (edited 01-31-2001).]

DalekTek790
    Participant

This is apparently beyond my capacity.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A lot of people dissalow HTML in posts for security reasons, so UBB code is provided as an alternative for simple formatting and linking, although the [ img ] tag can be disabled individually to prevent people spamming the board with large or undesireable images.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:
    A lot of people dissalow HTML in posts for security reasons, so UBB code is provided as an alternative for simple formatting and linking, although the [ img ] tag can be disabled individually to prevent people spamming the board with large or undesireable images.

Security reasons? Spamming the board? Still too new to me, Cat; would you mind expanding on this? Inquiring minds like to know.

——————

Anonymous
    Inactive
    I mean stuff like posting lots of large images so people have to wait for them to load and posting dodgy images in places where they aren’t appropriate. You can also post a string of articles with really large letters in to disrupt a conversation etc etc etc…

[This message has been edited by Cat (edited 02-01-2001).]

I’m really really sorry, but I had to take the piccy out

If you want to see it (and it’s really cool) click here

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited February 08, 2001).]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Which is where board moderators come in handy.. *cat hides*

Anonymous

Well, I hadda ask! A very “graphic” explanation, Cat. Thanks. I was wondering what the hay happened to the width of this page, as I scrolled down to the latest posts! I can see how uncontrolled html by cyber-cretins could be a pain. (Nice photo of the Lexx, though! )

——————

DalekTek790
    Participant

SadGeezer-I follow your directions, but all I get is boxes with a little x in the corner. Is there something more I need to know?

——————

DalekTek790
    Participant

Cat-Could you please edit your post and delete that big picture? Because of that, it takes 3 hours, 15 minutes for the page to load (seriously )

——————

Anonymous

You almost had it:

I had a look at your last post. Take another look at the ‘img’ tag that didn’t work, it was almost right except for:

There was no space between the ‘img‘ and the ‘scr‘ and the image is called title1.jpg (the water01.jpg file is in the lexx directory not the ubb directory).

All I’ve done is edit your post by placing a space in the right spot and changing the water01.jpg to title1.jpg

You almost had it dude!

I hugely recommend the links that BlackCloud gave above, especially the onling html tutor – it’s bloody wonderful! http://html.digitalsea.net/editor.shtml

——————

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited February 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited April 03, 2001).]

DalekTek790
    Participant

Okay, now I feel stupid.

——————

DalekTek790
    Participant

New question: how can you quote people?

I tried what it said on one of those instruction sites but it didn’t work.

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    New question: how can you quote people?

I tried what it said on one of those instruction sites but it didn’t work.

There are two tags that you can use the first is the QUOTE tag it is a left and right indent command and requires that you leave a ctart and end command eg.

[ QUOTE ]this text will appear as a quote [/ QUOTE ]

Please note, there should be no spaces between the [ and the ‘Q’ and the ‘/’

The other command is simply the B (for bold) [ B ] (you must use a [ / B ] at the end and please don’t forget to delete the spaces between ‘[‘ and ‘B’ and ‘/’ and ‘]’

Finally you could alwars select the icon in the top right hand corner of the message that you are reading. This will automatically reply to the article and quote the text for you.

There is a page that explains UBB code (that’s what we use to format text and graphics in this Bulletin Board) here: http://www.sadgeezer.com/ubb/ubbcode.html

I also have a small basic html page that you might find useful here: http://www.sadgeezer.com/basichtml.htm

Hope that helps.

——————

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited March 26, 2001).]

DalekTek790
    Participant

X

[This message has been edited by DalekTek790 (edited March 26, 2001).]

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

There are two tags that you can use the first is the
    QUOTE tag it is a left and right indent command and requires that you leave a ctart and end command eg.

[ QUOTE ]this text will appear as a quote [/ QUOTE ]

Please note, there should be no spaces between the [ and the ‘Q’ and the ‘/’

The other command is simply the B (for bold) [ B ] (you must use a [ / B ] at the end and please don’t forget to delete the spaces between ‘[‘ and ‘B’ and ‘/’ and ‘]’

Finally you could alwars select the icon in the top right hand corner of the message that you are reading. This will automatically reply to the article and quote the text for you.

There is a page that explains UBB code (that’s what we use to format text and graphics in this Bulletin Board) here: http://www.sadgeezer.com/ubb/ubbcode.html

I also have a small basic html page that you might find useful here: http://www.sadgeezer.com/basichtml.htm

Hope that helps.

[/B]

Thanks for the tech support, S.G.!

Maybe I shouldn’t’ve chosen three cyborgs for my handle, it implies that I know something about technology.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior, The Daleks: Episode 4-The Ambush

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist, The Dark Crystal

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790, Lexx 1.1: I Worship His Shadow

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:
    If you want to see it (and it’s really cool) click here

Woah! It is really cool! Thanks, Cat!

——————
    Why don’t you smegging well smeg off, you annoying little smeggy smegging smegger?
    -Arnold Rimmer

[This message has been edited by littlestar (edited March 29, 2001).]

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.