A Midsummer’s ‘Ent’mare…

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx A Midsummer’s ‘Ent’mare…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

This is both Lexx and Lord of the Rings – related, and is meant for those who have read the books at least once.

I was reading The Two Towers the other day, and I discovered a starnge resemblance between the tree-like Ents in the book and the singing trees in “Midsummer’s Nightmare”. Does anyone else know what I’m talking about, or should I post this thread in a different section?

Princess of Fire

lizard
    Participant

Singing Trees???? I can’t wait to see this episode. There are also talking trees in the wizard of oz.

I have to admit that I was not able to get through any of “The lord of the rings”, but I liked the movie.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Princess of Fire:
    I was reading The Two Towers the other day, and I discovered a starnge resemblance between the tree-like Ents in the book and the singing trees in “Midsummer’s Nightmare”. Does anyone else know what I’m talking about, or should I post this thread in a different section?

Yep, I know what you mean. But the trees in Lord of the Rings were very different as far as I can remember. They had a certain amount of substance and possibly a sence of purpose that was different from simply singing the praises of the King for all eternity.

I don’t think we can draw comparisons on that level. I wasn’t very impressed with A Midsummer’s Nightmare I’m afraid.

You are right though, LotR most certainly had trees in it ๐Ÿ™‚ (oh. And you are definately right in posting in this section).

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by lizard:
    I have to admit that I was not able to get through any of “The lord of the rings”, but I liked the movie.

The Lord of the Rings currently rates as one of my all time fave films, but the books are MUCH better. Once you get past the first 75 pages of the first book it will grip you. I highly recommend it if you haven’t yet read it.

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by lizard:

what saddy said; sometimes fantasy is very hard, or else just plain doesn’t suck you in…but frequently i find that when i stick with it, i suddenly find myself unable to put the book down where originally i had to force myself to pick it up

as for midsummer’s nightmare, well, i find the shakespeare tough going as well…i like the serious shakespeare all right, but the farcical stuff just doesn’t do it for me, whether shakespeare or something more modern…having had my experiences with wiccans, neo druids and the like, i found the set up amusing for the satire of all those little groups…i guess so far i still like walpurgis night the best

lizard
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

The Lord of the Rings currently rates as one of my all time fave films, but the books are MUCH better.

i will attempt to read the books again for sure, since someone with such good taste recommends!!!!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Princess of Fire:
    This is both Lexx and Lord of the Rings – related, and is meant for those who have read the books at least once.

Princess of Fire

Err…. I know what you mean, but I think Celtic myth was around long before Tolkein was a twinkle in his mummy’s eye, and trees containing the spirits of people captured by the lord of the trees is a common belief attributed to the celts (who never really wrote anything down, so it is all a bit speculative, but all the same). Basically, Tolkein borrowed bits from various mythologies when he was creating Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit.

Shame the two towers had the indescribably boring Mordor trek in it. Not looking forward to THAT bit of the film, I can tell you

Peace and light,

Doggie!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.