Ahhh, the Memories!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub Ahhh, the Memories!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jennicide
    Participant

Well, here goes: my first attempt at my own thread! yay me!

Sadgeezer asking about that long remembered show got me to thinking about the numerous tv shows I watched in my child hood, and how I have often thought about the apparent lack of quality in children’s shows today. So I wondered to myself, which shows would be in the highly coverted position of ‘best kid’s tv shows you ever watched’?

my list was pathetically long:

samuri pizza cats – I mean, who could go past cats who not only ran a pizza shop, but saved the world when off duty?

teenage mutant ninja turtles – sadly i had a kind of crush on Donatello
    though the very poor movies are not included in this, only the cartoons themselves.

anamaniacs – so much better than Loony Tunes, I even got excited when I finally realised the play on words both those titles are. lol, poor kids don’t know what they’re missing out on before their vocabulary grows.

the simpsons – of course. I was still a child when this classic first came out. in fact i remember the night it first graced our screen.
    Bart: “kwidgibo (spelling?) – short, fat, balding north american ape…with no chin. ”
    Homer: “why you little…”
    Bart: “aggghhhh”

I can’t remember what the name of the show is, but they had these mechanical dinosaur things… one was a sabre-tooth tiger or were they all tigers? and they just came out of different areas? like water, or lava?
    yeah, i think thats it… ohh, is it voltron?

and then there was the show that I mentioned in SadGeezer’s thread – the lost city, or the city of Gold or something along those lines.
    I remember my brothers and I would race home in the dismal Melbourne rain and we’d raid the kitchen coz mum was at work. we’d get our hot milo and our snack which was guaranteed to get us in trouble because we wouldnt be able to eat dinner, and we’d go and plant ourselves in front of the tv for this half hour show. every day we’d do this, without fail.

It’s actually a lot of fun to remember this stuff. ๐Ÿ˜‰

FrostGeezer
    Participant

Jennicide,

Lovely post! ๐Ÿ˜€

My list o’ childhood favorites would have to be released in a multi-volume set the size of Texas, so I’ll pare it down. In fact, being that this is a sci-fi stronghold and all, I’ll stick to sci-fi shows.

Here goes:

Right off, I’ve got to agree with “Voltron”–in both of its incarnations: the first with the robotic cat forms and the latter with a multitude of land-air-sea vehicles.

“The New Adventures of Flash Gordon”–Filmation’s late 70s version was strangely compelling. I watched it religiously. I can’t hope to tell you why, because I loathed Filmation’s later creations (“He-Man,” “She-Ra”… ugh, don’t get me started! At least “Fat Albert” rocked!)

“Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors”–the charming story of a boy and his cohorts who ride around in specialized whack-a-mole machines putting the smackdown on evil, plant-based vehicles that grow out of pods. The animation was surprisingly good, and the weirdness factor kept my interest. It was a guilty pleasure of my teendom. I think the animators must have really loved their “plants,” though. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Although it wasn’t technically a kid’s show, “Space: 1999” was an important part of my childhood. I had a major crush on the woman who could morph–cool eyebrows. The show got me interested in science, space and the NASA programs. Granted, I ended up in graphic design, but I tried. NASA wanted to see more on my resume than just a list of the sci-fi shows I’d been a fan of over the years. C’mon, that’s all you really need, right?

A can’t end in this post without mentioning “Thundercats.” Despite the sometimes wooden, sometimes over-the-top voice acting, the show was another of my teen comforts. The concept was cool and the animation was dynamic (for its day). It’s weird cousin “Silverhawks” was goofy, but I watched it, too. I’m a moth when the TV’s on.

I could go on for days, but I’ll put on the brakes. Thanks for the reminiscence, Jennicide!

Frostgeezer

Flamegrape
    Participant
    FrostGeezer wrote:

Although it wasn’t technically a kid’s show, “Space: 1999” was an important part of my childhood. I had a major crush on the woman who could morph–cool eyebrows.

That was Maya. I thought she was really cool too.

Fatguy
    Participant

For me…..the series went bad when Mya (Catherine Shell , I think)came in and Barry Morse (the scientist) left. The show became juvinile. An alien that morpes was a real …..Who cares…..my two cents…..

Maurice

DaveCole
    Participant

There aren’t very many that I would still enjoy today but here are a few.

Dungeons and Dragons A great show to bad they never finished the last episode.

Plastic Man

Any of the Sid and Marty Kroft Shows Can’t remember the names of all of the shows they did but I enjoyed them all.

Fraggle Rock Didn’t get to see as much of these guys as I would have liked since I didn’t have HBO back then, but I did get to catch a few at a friends house.

Dragons Lair Not as fun as the game but still enjoyable.

There are many many others but these are the ones that I remember the most.

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Folks,
    Here’s my favourite kid shows I watched when I was a little girl & would definitely watch them again, if I could.

Land of the Lost, Sigmond the Sea Monster, Bigfoot & Wildboy, Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, the Bugaloos, Dr Shrinker & a couple of others I can’t remember at the moment.

Fat Albert, Looney Toons, Disney

Captain Kangaroo, Mister Rodgers, Electric Company

Voltron, Ultraman & a couple of others I can’t remember

All of these, or at least most of them, kept me still when I had asthma when I was in the 5th grade, onward; some of them even before then, when I had casts on both feet, due to corrective surgeries. I watched a couple of them during the ’80’s when I was having my last surgeries on my left foot & was helping take care of the house.

Childhood memories Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

lexxrobotech
    Participant

I grew up on He-man, I had, and still have today, more than 220 He-man toys. Action figures, castles and accesories. I was never able to give them away, and am super stoked I kept them now days.

The thing that most influenced me was watching Robotech. I used to rush home from school and get the tape ready an hour before hand. I taped everyone and used to watch them again and again.

I also grew up on comics. I have a huge comic collection, supposedly one of the best in the province. I am a DC man, with almost every single Green Lantern (Hal Jordan ones) from 1969 to 1992. I also have just about every single Justice League (A,E&I)from the start until the early 90’s. I have thousands of comics. All sorted and sealed.

Of course, I still watch cartoons. At the moment, my top 5 would be :

1)Spongebob sqaurepants (I like it so much I bought some dvds off amazon)
    2)Rocko’s Modern Life (Aussies make me laugh. So do fat people. How could I not love this?)
    3)Batman of the Future (Damn, those cartoon chics are hot!)
    4)Dextors Lab
    5)Southpark

lexxrobotech
    Participant

I have no idea why I just said what I did in the above thread?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good thread! Some of these are not specifically kids shows, but they’re the ones I watched as a very young child and left an indelible impression on me. I was very young when I developed my taste for sci-fi big-time.

Dr. Who, Space 1999, The Prisoner, Star Trek, Land of the Lost, The Tomorrow People, Lost in Space, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, and Batman. Loved the super-duper supermarionation classics like Fireball-X, Thunderbirds, and Stingray.

Also enjoyed the cartoon versions of Planet of the Apes and Star Trek. And still watch the old Spiderman and Hulk cartoons when I get the chance. Also loved The Muppet Show and Scooby Dooby Doo.

The Hulk has the best TV theme tune ever!

Doc Bruce Banner,
    Belted by gamma rays,
    Turned into the Hulk.
    Ain’t he unglamo-rays!
    Wreckin’ the town
    With the power of a bull,
    Ain’t no monster clown
    Who is that lovable?
    It’s ever lovin’ Hulk! HULK!! HULK!!

lexxrobotech
    Participant

I’d have to disagree Logan,

The Gummi Bears had the best TV theme tune ever!

Dashing and Daring
    Courageous and Caring
    Faithful and friendly
    with stories to share,
    All through the forest
    they sing out in chorus
    marching along as their song fills the air…

GUMMI BEARS, BOUNCING HERE AND THERE AND EVERYWHERE
    HIGH ADVENTURES THAT …

~ah, memories.

Jennicide
    Participant

I have to say that I agree. Gummi Bears rocked.
    I was actually only talking about them the other day with my housemate trying to remember the words.
    Sadly we couldn’t recall all that much of it.
    Thanks lots. I shall pass it on and most likely that that theme in my head for the next few days.
    It’s all good though. It reminds of simpler times, when the most pressing issue was how to convince your mum that getting an ice cream from the ice cream man driving down the street, was not going to ruin your appetite for dinner.

fluffy bunny
    Participant

Ah, cartoons- I could go on all day. Off the top of my head though,

ulysses 31 (watched a few reruns the other day, and it still seems pretty deep)
    Seven cities of gold
    Around the World in 80 days
    top cat
    Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin
    The Smurfs
    Bananaman
    Superted
    Gummi Bears
    Inspector Gadget
    Defenders of the Earth
    Knight Rider
    The A team (who else could build a tank out of a few bits of junk lying around)?
    Dungeons and Dragons
    Conan the Adventurer
    Thundercats
    Mask (though the reruns don’t seem to be that good)
    Bravestarr
    Masters of the Universe (though looking at it today, seems a bit naff animation and theme tune wise)
    Fraggle rock
    The Racoons
    Top Cat
    Batfink (My wings are like a shield of steel)
    Loony Toons
    Tom and Jerry cartoons (what happened to them anyway)
    Dangermouse (though it did seem very annoying when I saw it again a few weeks ago)
    TMHT
    Button moon
    Fingermouse
    Sesame street (before it got ‘trendy’)
    Muppet Babies/ the muppets
    Captain Planet
    Scooby Doo (though the reruns seem a bit naff now)
    Ewoks
    Roland Rat

There was a show where the hero used an amulet or something to get a totem pole to turn into a giant tortoise, bear and eagle to save the good guys from the little guys, but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was called

Oh there were good tv shows I can remember when I was younger- krypton factor, crystal maze, gladiators (well before it got repetitive), rolf’s cartoon club, postman pat, fireman sam, portland bill, thomas the tank engine

Anonymous
    Jhevz wrote:

Hi Folks,
    Here’s my favourite kid shows I watched when I was a little girl & would definitely watch them again, if I could.

Land of the Lost, Sigmond the Sea Monster, Bigfoot & Wildboy, Electra Woman & Dyna Girl, the Bugaloos, Dr Shrinker & a couple of others I can’t remember at the moment.

Those are some of the great shows put together by Sid & Marty Krofft, whose output comprised some of the most inventive and surreal kids’ shows ever created. I watched their stuff religiously. The above-named programs and more can be found on the DVD set The World of Sid & Marty Krofft.

–Aleck

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seven cities of gold

Mysterious Cities of Gold
    (tries to figure out how Ulysses was misspelt in my email but right here without the post being marked as edited..)

Anyone remember Telebugs? Most people don’t for some reason.

Anonymous

My earliest TV was the Electric Company and Sha-Na-Na.

My parents used to watch Mary Tyler Moore and Soap, so I saw those too.

as for more kid shows hrmm

Voltron
    Robotech: Macross
    FraggleRock
    ThunderCats
    Dennis the Menace <No one mentioned this!>
    Tom and Jerry <MY FAVORITE!>

that’s all off the top of my head =/

Fatguy
    Participant

I have to chuckle at some of the “memories” of the younger ones here…..you are too young to have memories. ๐Ÿ˜†

If I step back and take a broad overview I can see that my childhood shows always involved guns, death, and mega-tons of Western idealism. War shows (like “Combat”, “Rat Patrol, etc.) were everywhere; plus I was also at the age where I got the tale end of the Cowboy and Indian shows (so racist, our government up here in Canada places restrictions on it’s airing).

If you look at the type of cultural saturation we kids got in the Cold War…..then it is easy to see why a guy like me constantly prattles about freedoms and rights. If you look at who tolerates this or endorses it at this board, you will see it is the older crowd that was also brought up on this programing on T.V. (not just T.V. but also in the schools, etc.). The younger kids here actually get very annoyed when I go there, and probably find it irrelevant, a sign of the environment they were brought up in. Another point I should bring up, is that the younger crowd seems to have been pacified by the “nerf ball” environment of recent history. Over here in Gay rights, you will see that it is still the baby boomers who protest while the younger crowd stays away. This is a recurring problem and I think this has been deliberately bred into our youngsters…..little did you kids know…..

Just something to think about…..

Maurice

Anonymous

Again, you have nothing to base your assumptions on re: the political activities of those on this board, *except* what is said on this board. To claim otherwise is to extrapolate into areas of which you have no first-hand knowledge. I generally don’t post about what actions I’ve been involved in or what political causes I’ve demonstrated in favor of or against. I have most likely made clear in the past where my political sympathies lie, but as this board almost exclusively entertainment-oriented, I feel no real need to constantly harp on my political beliefs or activities. It’s not in context. If a discussion arises in one of the more “off-topic” areas such as the Pub, I have no problem joining in, but I don’t feel the particular need to flog my politics non-stop.

And as far as the Gay Rights movement goes, I don’t know about your area, but all of the demonstrations I’ve seen and/or participated in (in DC, Los Angeles and Seattle, WA) have largely consisted of people in the college-age-to-mid-thirties range, regardless of when the demonstrations have taken place. The Boomers *are* there, but it’s never been strictly limited to them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s very often those in college who are the most passionately political of all. As age mellows one, and deadens the spirit, it’s easy to become more conservative. As cogs in the machine, we grow less likely to actively oppose the staus quo. We have other responsiblities of day-to-day life to preoccupy us.

I know that I was far more of a political activist in my early twenties than I am a decade later. I’ve become jaded, more cynical, less idealistic, less certain that I can make a real difference.

Fatguy
    Participant

I hear you Aleck. However, even sci-fi of my era was heavily saturated with Western idealism. A spill over from the space race (anyone old enough to remember that ๐Ÿ™„ ) was sci-fi. Take the original Star Trek, the writers never failed to promote American idealism through it’s scripts. Lost In Space looks positively dated with it’s concentration on the nuclear family and traditional American values. Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea is a third. As I see it, the politics started to leave sci-fi around the mid to late seventies when more international concerns started producing widely distributed sci-fi. Of course, my memory is not what it used to be…..too many cracks on the head from my protests as a young “whipper snapper”.

Maurice

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thinking generally of kids shows, Space Monkeys looks pretty good.
    http://www.spacemonkeys.net/

Have many people here watched it?

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Sha-Na-Na… was the alley with a whole lot of singing? Kind of like the muppets, but Italian-American style?

Anonymous

I grew up on He-man, I had, and still have today, more than 220 He-man toys. Action figures, castles and accesories. I was never able to give them away, and am super stoked I kept them now days.

Good – you can have all my Masters of the Universe stickers, I have heaps of them, He-Man in particular! ๐Ÿ™‚

If you love He-Man you probably would have loved living in South Oz in the late 80’s/early 90’s. We kids had He-Man (and Skeletor) merchandise *everywhere*.
    Anyway, to my TV memories – He-man (of course),
    Gummi Bears,
    Play School,
    Sesame Street (who can honestly say they didn’t Sesame Street?!)
    and anything sci-fi and cartoony I could get my hands on. Actual sci-fi came much later and I have never looked back ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

Little me will admit to watching

Maid marion
    She ra (i didnt like he man though and i cant remember anything about it other than i liked it)
    The tribe (thats only a few years back though)

I used to watch other things but i couldnt watch them now, eg ninja turtles, power rangers, byker grove etc

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.