brigadoom vs the game, II

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx brigadoom vs the game, II

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    FX
    Participant

on the previous thread, jumping jedi asked:

Is the Game really the new fan favourite? or does Brigadoom still hold that title? Personally I still think Brigadoom is the classic Lexx episode and though the Game, whilst excellent, lacked plot. The Game was a superb idea, excellently directed,acted and written but didnt really have a story as such.

bonnee
    Participant

I’m struck by the fact that two of the most self conscious and atypical episodes – one’s drawing attention to and celebrating their own artifice in quite different ways – are cited as pinnacles within the series. I certainly like both episodes, but I’m not sure I understand their particular high regard. I agree that both episodes deserve to be singled out and esteemed, but the Game struck me as being much less worthwhile. It hardly gets Seven Seals of approval from me, and it often felt as if two seals were swimming on the sidelines congragulating Lexx for its own audacity. Aar! Aar! clapping sounds could have easily figured on the soundtrack to this episode.

Unlike Brigadoon, a largely expository episode seemed to be entirely self referencing and self motivating. Its almost as if every move needed to be explained and mapped out as a result. The exposition was clumsy to the point of being eye rolling in places. The conversation on the Moth, for example, was lame in the extreme. I have to agree with Prince : what’s the other zone? Talk about a sudden and inexplicable setting up of the episode’s premise in order to render it servicable in some way. The scenes on the bridge with Stan and Xev literally disappearing were plain awful.

The Game constantly walked a fine line between being utter crap and sheer genius. Part of the fun was wondering which side it was going to invariably fall on. The shifting landscapes mirroring the psychological state of play below were obviously quite beautiful, and the special effects were wonderfully and seamlessly integrated into the actual playing of the game. I’m not sure if the Mantrid images were intended or inadvertent – the floating head pieces making their way across the chess board were striking regardless. I particularly liked the way that despite all the banal and innane talking heads (the episode’s manifest weakness), the game was itself quite suspenceful and effortlessly rendered. I was grateful for the chance to want to watch a season 4 episode many times over, acting as a constant reminder as to what can be so great about Lexx in the first place. We have to give full credit to Lexx for being so audicious (again), but I found the handling too awkward and self conscious in places to merit a full seal approval.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.