Brigadoom vs The Game

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Brigadoom vs The Game

• This topic has 49 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by FX.
Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Is the Game really the new fan favourite? or does Brigadoom still hold that title? Personally I still think Brigadoom is the classic Lexx episode and though the Game, whilst excellent, lacked plot. The Game was a superb idea, excellently directed,acted and written but didnt really have a story as such.

Anonymous

Actually Brigadoom has less plot than the Game.

Brigadoom:
    Kai/Xev/Stan watch/praticipate in a musical.
    Stan decides to fight Mantrid.

The Game:
    Kai/Prince play chess with Stan/Xev’s lives or Kai’s soul on the line.
    Kai wins but Prince just walks off.

Headgehog
    Participant

This is a tough call. I loved each of them. Both episodes were excellent. Brigadoom was exciting in an epic story sort of way. Whereas The Game had an exciting chess game. Well as exciting as chess could ever be. Both eps had their moments of siliness, but both had a very intelligent plot. Brigadoom had good music , The game had Prince, Vlad and better scenery.
    Stan was very annoying in this Brigadoom, to the point of me wanting to reach through the screen to whap him. (It ruined by first impression of the episode, all I could think of was his childishness) Yet the Games’ bells and ding-dongs coupled with the rules got on my nerves a lot. (I know how to play the game well, certainly not as excellent as those two, but good nonetheless, so all the intructions kind of insulted my intelligence. BUT I realize that not everyone knows the intricities of Chess so it was helpful and neccesary to the ignorant.)

I liked The Game infitisimaly more, but I have a pesonal connection with Brigadoom,
    so in conclusion:
    Head its Brigadoom
    Tails its The Game

Anonymous

I’ve watched Brigadoom a few times since the Game. Both are such *unique* episodes. Brigadoom is a homage of “Brigadoom” which is a story about a ship that appears from no where (I think, cant remember too many drugs). In Lexx its the same, they come upon the Center of the Universe and these Imps appear. Creatures that live outside of Time and Space but have purpose. That purpose is to get Stan on the right track or capture the Lexx crew forever (imo)

The vechile for the episode is the Story of Kai, Last of the Brunnin-G. Here in song we finally learn what we always suspected. That Kai, much like Stanley was once put on trial and damned by his own people. And at least imo we find out why Kai defended Stan at his trial.

In any event, we get a taste of the Living Kai of the past. The Hero, the Visionary, the Leader. Michael McManus voice isnt mindblowing but its not bad. Xenia on the other hand pulled a dirty trick. Most fans werent aware that this young lady has an out of this world voice.

The thing with Brigadoom however is its the climax of Series2. Its the moment where Stan realizes what he has to do. That he cannot run away from Mantrid. Its a cowards death and all that. This scene has the identical effect as the final scene of Kais game where he claims “I have won, you have lost” such an epic line! Who could think monotonous delivered lines could be so great!

Brigadoom also allows Kai some leeway with emotion. We see him with a brief smile when Xev asks him “Did all this really happen?” and Kai smiles saying “Yes” and immediatly the smile melts off his face.

As for guest stars we dont have much. We have the tremendous PatZ who in my eyes can do no wrong. But we see a new aspect of her squeaky voice. Shes actually a great singer!

But in the end Brigadoom was all about turning Stanley around and fighting Mantrid so much like The Game, its the climax of its series.

Now for The Game.

This ep just like Brigadoom starts in earlier episodes. We see hints from the game Kai and Prince play. Then we have the promise given that Kai will play Prince once more.

But first this episode starts with a whopper. Kai *wants* to keep his promise. I think its that moment that Prince can convince Kai that he’s not really dead anyway. Much like Vlad noticed in Magic Magic Baby, Kai is not truly dead anymore. He clearly has some sort of wont to protect Stan and Xev until they find a home or dont need him anymore. I think the key is *need*. As long as Xev and Stand *need* Kai, he *needs* them.

Anyway. Kai betrays his friends in favor of keeping his word. The incentive being that he can finally die and his soul will be allowed into the Dream Zone.

At this point we’ve already learned brand new things no one ever predicted. Especially after Series3 when we thought we knew all there was about the afterlife!

Then Kai travels to an unstable failed Universe. Another Universe, what!!??!! Its interesting to note that the Dark and Light Universes are just the Main ones. That there appears to be all sorts of Planes and Quantum spheres is news to me!

Then we have a great Nigel Bennet scene. With arms held high, he lives once again. No one hams up a scene like Nigel, truly a great actor and a fantastic counterpart to MM.

Now the Game is tricky, who will the pieces be??? It musta been a hard choice for the Beans. But I was quite happy with it except maybe for the pawns.

So you end up with

Kai -King
    Xev -Queen
    Time Prophet -Bishop
    Stanley -Knights
    790 -Rooks
    Moth Breeders -Pawns

Prince -King
    Bunny -Queen
    Vlad -Bishop
    His Divine Shadow -Rooks
    ATF agents -pawns

Now some were wondering why Vlad and Time Prophets for bishops? My reasoning is that this games opening is Bishops opening, granted its only the first 2 moves, but it is always the opening that determains the game. And Vlad and the Time Prophet are the same person after all…. Okay that was never proven but at the very least Vlad is the one who killed the Time Prophet so it was very apropos imo.

Now the plot to the Game is earthshaking. Its Kai’s soul vs Stan and Xevs. The scenary and direction is brilliant. Actually having the characters on a big chessboard playing their moves. There’s never been an episode like this in Television history. And most likely when a mainstream series does it in the future they will get credit not Lexx. Much like Brigadoom. Buffy does a musical and it gets raves for being so original and doing something no Sci-Fi/fantasy/horror series has ever done. That was such BS.

The Game has some great dialog as well. The banter between Kai and Prince is incredible. We see Kai play the physcological game versus Prince and Kai beats em hands down. Its like in that early scene when Kai says “I will not lose” then explains that Bio-Vaziers made him so he wouldent lose in simple strategy games like this.

Later comes probably my most favorite lines this series. Its a candid scene between Kai and Prince like the one in the Underbelly of Hell in Series3. Except here Prince explains he does not understand the living and never did. But in a new universe like this one….

Hinting perhaps at the fact Prince may take over the “Other Zone” and bend it to his own will. Can anyone say Cycle of Time perhaps?

The Game had good sound too. The hard crunching and grinding of gears that move the pieces. Singing by Stan and Priest. Minna(Vlad) her usualy sultry evil self. Does anyone else kinda wish the Vlad arc had been in Series2 so we coulda seen more of her? Vlad has quickly become one of my favorite baddies of all time. Sexy, mysterious, possibly could be a big part in the time-cycle etc…

The dialog and banter between the pieces was excellent as well. Lots of double entendres and observations from their POV. I love when Stan tells Vlad
    “I think you should apologize to Kai now”

In the end imo The Game just blows away Brigadoom. But its not totally due to the fact that The Game was a better ep. They both were groundbreaking eps, but imo The Game is going to be more important because its the moment where Kai regains his Soul. And if Prince does not keep his promise then the game might not beat out Brigadoom. Its hard to say with finality until the series is up.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    Brigadoom is a homage of “Brigadoom” which is a story about a ship that appears from no where (I think, cant remember too many drugs).

Okay, boys and girls! Let’s get this one straight once and for all!

Brigadoon was the first big hit for the magical team of Lerner and Loewe. Inspired by Germelshausen, a german story by Friedrich Gerstäcker, Brigadoon revolves around two American tourists, Tommy Albright and Jeff Douglas, who stumble upon a misty little Scottish town. Tommy soon falls in love with a local lass, Fiona MacLaren, but as the two men quickly discover, this mysterious little town only reawakens for one day every hundred years.

Brigadoon opened at the Ziegfeld Theatre on March 13, 1947 and ran for 581 performances. It established Lerner and Loewe as the successors of Rodgers and Hammerstein. The 1954 screen version featured Gene Kelly , Cyd Charisse, and Van Johnson.

Described by its authors as “a whimsical musical fantasy”, Brigadoon is set in a magic Scottish village which comes out of the Highland mists once every hundred years, only to disappear after one day. Two American tourists — Tommy Albright and Jeff Douglas — on a visit to Scotland get lost in a forest. They hear distant voices (“Brigadoon”), then see a village come hazily into view. Entering it, they come to MacConnachy Square, in Brigadoon, where a gay fair is taking place. Andrew MacLaren has come there with his two daughters, Fiona and Jean; the latter is soon to be married to Charlie Dalrymple, much to the displeasure of Harry Beaton, who wants to marry her himself. Meg Brockie, a brash young woman, expresses surprise that Fiona is not jealous of her sister, since becoming a bride is quite an event and achievement in Brigadoon. Fiona explains by giving Meg a clue to her personal philosophy (“Waitin’ for My Dearie”). When Jeff and Tommy are observed all the activities in the square stop short, for they are not only strangers but strangers from a distant land. Tommy is immediately attracted to Fiona. When the latter announces she is going to gather heather for her sister’s wedding, Tommy insists he be allowed to accompany her. At first Fiona declines, but she grows more amenable after Tommy has sung a plaintive tune to her (“Heather on the Hill”). They now go off, hand in hand.

Later, in the MacLaren home, Jean is preparing to pack in preparation for her imminent wedding. The bridegroom, Charlie, comes to inscribe his name in the MacLaren family album, after which he sings of his intense longing for his bride (“Come to Me, Bend to Me”). Then Fiona and Tommy return from their expedition, late and happy. When Jeff appears, Tommy confides his feelings for Fiona (“Almost Like Being in Love”). Jeff and Tommy come upon the family album. Glancing through it, they remark the peculiar coincidence that a hundred years ago, on this very day, a Fiona MacLaren was married to a Charlie Dalrymple. It is their first clue that something eerie is happening around them. Fiona refuses to enlighten them, so they seek out one of the venerable citizens of Brigadoon, Mr. Lundie, and learn from him of the strange history of this town that lives one day every hundred years.

The wedding ceremony now takes place, with the festive townspeople enjoying songs and dances. Suddenly Harry Beaton arrives, determined to prevent the marriage from taking place. He lunges at the bridegroom with his knife, but, fortunately, Tommy arrests his hand. As Harry flees, Jeff trips him; Harry falls on his head and is instantly killed.

When the wedding is over, Tommy confesses to Fiona he loves her dearly (“There But For You Go I”). Because of Fiona he is determined to stay in Brigadoon, come what may. But Jeff convinces him that it is impossible for Tommy to live in a dream, that reality dictates Tommy must return home to New York and marry his fiancée, Jane Ashton. Sadly, Tommy realizes the wisdom of Jeff’s words. He bids Fiona a tender farewell (“From This Day On”) and leaves Brigadoon with Jeff.

Back in New York, Jane Ashton upbraids Tommy for having failed to “come to me” as soon as he had returned from Europe. The words “come to me” strike a responsive chord with Tommy. In a mist he sees Fiona before him in Brigadoon. This vision convinces him that he must break with Jane Ashton once and for all. It also convinces him that he must return to Scotland. With Jeff once again as his companion Tommy is back in the forest outside Brigadoon. Somewhere in the mist, whispers Tommy, there is a girl he desperately wants but knows he will never get. Jeff inquires if this is the reason Tommy has made the long journey back to Scotland. Tommy now reveals he simply had to convince himself that Fiona and Brigadoon belong not to the real but to the dream world. Suddenly Tommy hears voices in the distance, and sees Mr. Lundie approaching him. He takes Tommy by the hand to lead him back to Brigadoon. “You see,” explains Mr. Lundie, “love can do anything — even miracles.” Waving farewell to Jeff, Tommy follows Mr. Lundie into the Highland mists.

Brigadoon was a red-letter day for the American theatre, if only because it was the first major Broadway success by Lerner and Loewe, the words-and-music duo that later created the history-making My Fair Lady. But even if My Fair Lady had never been written, Brigadoon would still have earned for its authors an honoured place in the American musical theatre. The Drama Critics Circle singled it out as the best play of the season, the first time a musical had been thus honoured. And there was sound reason for this choice. Brigadoon is one of the most delightful fantasies that the American musical stage has known — fresh and innovative in its characterizations, dialogue and lyrics; utterly enchanting in its melodies. As Brook Atkinson said of it: “The incantation is complete and easy.”

Anonymous

LexxLurker = School’d

Thanks Flamegrape Id never seen or read it mearly heard it mentioned over my years.

Anonymous

quote:

..where a gay fair is taking place

So the end of season 2 is actually an opening for season 4?

Anyway, Brigadoon

Definition: a place that is idyllic, unaffected by time, or remote from reality. Brigadoon appears to rise from the mists of time, then disappear again. It marks a place
    between space and time if only to displace it again.

Anonymous

bah! I still find 791 to be the best episode.

Shake your lilly white ass!

DalekTek790
    Participant

Why is the episode called Brigadoom? Does anybody know?

I mean, was that the name of the theater? Is it a Brunnen-G term? Is it an X-Files-style arcane title that is actually a word that somehow connects to the episode? The word (name?) “Brigadoom” is never spoken in the episode’s dialog (in the U.S. cut, at least), so its significance is unclear.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:

Headgehog nudges DT to look up a few posts where Flamegrape just gave the ANSWER.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Headgehog nudges DT to look up a few posts where Flamegrape just gave the ANSWER

And Bonnee provides a definition which (hopefully) helps explain Flamegrape’s answer. Given this definition, the versus aspect of this thread might be thought inappropriate and instead encourages the notion of thematic continuity. Indeed, it helps provide a bridge between the two universes, and suggests that the notion of the (ass) End of the Universe coincides with the thematic of a new beginning/ending. Or , as stated above, the end/ing of season 2 offers a literal opening for season 4. Correspondinly, the notion of Lexx not really being about sex is also antithetical the show’s impetus/trajectory. Not only does the show constantly posit the idea that the universe’s life force is essentially libidinal, the symbol of Lexx as dragonfly underlines the themes of fertility and renewal. The dragonfly/flying penis motif is itself the messenger or midwife (read: bridge) between universes.

[ 27-03-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

I still vote for Brigadoom!! Seeing a Live Kai singing and jumping about is better than seeing a Kai King who’s just ahead.

Besides I still get weepy when I hear Kai and Xev singing “Two Hearts.”

MM

dgrequeen
    Participant

And Bonnee provides a definition which (hopefully) helps explain Flamegrape’s answer. Given this definition, the versus aspect of this thread might be thought inappropriate and instead encourages the notion of thematic continuity. Indeed, it helps provide a bridge between the two universes, and suggests that the notion of the (ass) End of the Universe coincides with the thematic of a new beginning/ending. Or , as stated above, the end/ing of season 2 offers a literal opening for season 4. Correspondinly, the notion of Lexx not really being about sex is also antithetical the show’s impetus/trajectory. Not only does the show constantly posit the idea that the universe’s life force is essentially libidinal, the symbol of Lexx as dragonfly underlines the themes of fertility and renewal. The dragonfly/flying penis motif is itself the messenger or midwife (read: bridge) between universes.

Why not just say: “Brigadoom” is a play on the word “Brigadoon”, and leave it at that? And read Flamegrape’s posted synopses of the original.

We got it the first time, Bonnee. For your information, life is libidinal. There’s nothing esoteric about that.

[ 27-03-2002: Message edited by: dgrequeen ]

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Why not just say: “Brigadoom” is a play on the word “Brigadoon”, and leave it at that? And read Flamegrape’s posted synopses of the original.

We got it the first time, Bonnee. For your information, life is libidinal. There’s nothing esoteric about that.

For the reasons that were (apparently)overstated. My remarks weren’t intended as a corrective, but as supplementary. Clearly they weren’t welcome, but it seems to me that Lexx is working with an esoteric notion of sexuality – even if it is slightly tongue in cheek. My feeling is that our respective backgrounds predisposes us to experience lexx in different – but equally valid – ways. The idea of leaving something the way it is does not encourage me to question why it might be that way in the first place. Sorry for overstating what you insist was obvious the first time, but your remarks indicate that I haven’t made myself clear at all.

DalekTek790
    Participant

I know it’s from Scottish folklore, but what does that have to do with the episode? And why is one letter changed? Maybe somebody should ask one of the Beans.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Bonnee:
    Correspondinly, the notion of Lexx not really being about sex is also antithetical the show’s impetus/trajectory. Not only does the show constantly posit the idea that the universe’s life force is essentially libidinal, the symbol of Lexx as dragonfly underlines the themes of fertility and renewal. The dragonfly/flying penis motif is itself the messenger or midwife (read: bridge) between universes.

What?!? If this is an extention of your pet theory that the Lexx is a phallic symbol, I find that very unlikely.
    At best it’s eisegetic speculation and requires serious loosening of associations, at worst it’s borderline psychotic sexotropic pareidolia. Explanation: If you have sex on the brain, you’re going to see sex images everywhere. The Lexx is shaped like an insect. Nothing else. Not a male organ, not a nude woman. It has a distinct head, thorax, and abdomen, compound eyes, and an all-around arthropoid construction. It’s a dragonfly with no wings.

Anonymous

quote:

I know it’s from Scottish folklore, but what does that have to do with the episode? And why is one letter changed? Maybe somebody should ask one of the Beans.

Brigadoon is a musical. It’s about a place that exists, to some extent, outside of time and space. The LEXX episode “Brigadoom” is a musical, and the episode is set in a place that exists, to some extent, outside of time and space. One letter of the original title was changed in order to create a pun, or play on words. As the musical is about the destruction of the Brunnen-G, and the episode is set during a time in which pretty much everyone is guaranteed to face an ultimate destruction, the episode was cleverly titled “Brigadoom.” Doom, get it? Death, destruction, doom and gloom? It’s a pun.

–Aleck

dgrequeen
    Participant

The theater appeared in space, out of nowhere, just like the original Brigadoon appeared out of the mists. It exists out of space and time, like the original. And it dealt with the ultimate doom of the BrunnenG — hence “Brigadoom”, the play on Brigadoon. But, hey, who knows what goes on in the minds of the Beans?

Bonnee, I didn’t mean to imply that your remarks weren’t welcome. I only meant that I didn’t see where Season2 led directly to the anal humor in Season4 (which is what I assumed your remarks meant). IMO, the whole series has been about appetites of all kinds, which is just basic human nature (Dalek excepted).

Anonymous

quote:

At best it’s eisegetic speculation and requires serious loosening of associations, at worst it’s borderline psychotic sexotropic pareidolia. Explanation: If you have sex on the brain, you’re going to see sex images everywhere.

So, would it then follow that if one *doesn’t* have sex on one’s brain at all that one would be less likely see sexual images *anywhere*? Even where intended? Like, say…umm…some intriguingly-designed watering cans?

Just checking.

–Aleck

theFrey
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    So, would it then follow that if one *doesn’t* have sex on one’s brain at all that one would be less likely see sexual images *anywhere*? Even where intended? Like, say…umm…some intriguingly-designed watering cans?
    Just checking. –Aleck

Aleck shoots, he scores! Yeahhhhh

sgtdraino
    Participant

The Game was good, but Brigadoom is still my favorite.

IMHO, Brigadoom was revolutionary and nearly flawlessly executed, while I felt The Game did have a few weak points:

1. Kai says he gains the memories of those he kills, something that’s never been hinted at before. Probably a misspoken line.
    2. Kai says he “wants” and “likes” something, when before he’s always said the dead have no wants or likes. And this is, of course, before he wins the game, so he can’t have a soul already.
    3. Kai speaks of the Other Zone and the Dream Zone, two things that seem to come out of nowhere, from way over in left field, out of the blue (enough metaphors?).
    4. I thought the Stan and Xev “disappearing” effects were lame.
    5. The end of the episode seems abrupt and anticlimactic. There’s no real hint that anything was accomplished.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d still rate The Game as one of the best Lexx episodes of all time. But for me at least, Brigadoom retains the number one spot.

Anonymous

I would have to say that in a real contest between Brigadoom and the Game, I would have to give it to the Game.

Brigadoom would take the lead in the contest quite early, and would likely hold it for a considerable time. After all, their cast has bodies, are brightly coloured, and move around a lot in intricate ways.

In contrast, the Game is just a bunch of heads. ‘Ha!’ The Brigadoom players would
    go, ‘we mock you with our monkey pants!’

Oh wait, wrong series.

‘We mock you with our elaborate costumes and hairstyles and bodies full of limbs!’ The Brigadoom players would go and the Game-sters would wail and gnash their teeth and turn around in circles like they do when they’re frustrated.

But, I think I’d have to say that the Brigadoom players have no staying power. Sooner or later, they’d be distracted by some shiny object and start singing about that. All that choreagraphy is very nice, but does it control a board? Nope.

In contrast, the Gamesters, notwithstanding their really crap hats, are steady players. They finish what they started, and they’ll stick with it through to the bitter end.

Also, the Gamesters are far more organized in pursuing their goal. As the Brigadoom players dance back and forth, the Game players would be relentlessly making their moves.

And of course, the Game players are all heavily armed. What’s the closest thing to a weapon the Brigadoom players have? Their pennant flags? The Master of Ceremonies walking stick? Give me a break, one shot with a mace or battle ax and they’re toast.

Superior armament and an emphasis on organized tactical maneuvers would win the day. The Brigadoom players would dance their hearts out, but in the end, when cornered and confronted with a couple of
    knights and rooks with axes and bludgeons, what are they going to do: Sing?

I don’t think that’s going to work. Nope, one by one, the Game players would corner the Brigadoom players and slaughter them in really bloody ways. It might take a long long time, but that’s the way it would turn out.

The end

Join us next week for our next existential
    deathmatch, the speed of light versus George Orwell. And the week after that: Rocky Balboa versus the colour blue.

Anonymous

I’d still vote for Brigadoom. Suffice to say it was easier to follow. THey did an amazing job explaining chess and the movtivation behind certain moves, but I still felt I would have to get out a chessboard and recreate the moves to know how Kai won. It also explained a backstory of Kai’s existence instead of a bunch of the cast taunting just taunting each other.
    I liked the episode, don’t get me wrong. It’s just no contest between the two.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Bonnee, I didn’t mean to imply that your remarks weren’t welcome. I only meant that I didn’t see where Season2 led directly to the anal humor in Season4 (which is what I assumed your remarks meant). IMO, the whole series has been about appetites of all kinds, which is just basic human nature (Dalek excepted).

I suppose what I was trying to suggest is that the anal humour has a deeper connotation. Anu(s) is the god of the sky and re/creation in various mythology, and the notion of anus as displacement connects up with the notion of an end/ing as a new beginning. Indeed, if you look up the Book of the Dead, you’ll find the idea(d) of Anu as day of judgement and deliverance. I include a copy and paste of Anus as deity.

“While Alalus was supreme in heaven, Anus became more powerful. After serving as Alalu’s cupbearer for nine years he then overthrew him, banishing him to under the earth as Zeus did Chronos in Greece. He then held the throne with Kumarbis as his cupbearer. Kumarbis then also rebelled, and Anus fled in the sky. During his flight Kumarbis bit off and swallowed his phallus. Through this act Kumarbis was impregnated with the Storm-god, the Aranzahas (Tigris) river, and Tasmisus.

Anus then retired in heaven, recalling the castrated Ouranos’ myth in Greece. From there he advised the Storm-god on exit strategies from Kumarbis. After the Storm-god’s ‘birth’ (regurgitation’), the triad brothers plotted to destroy Kumarbis and, with his other children, apparently succeeded . This story recalls Zeus giving ‘birth’ to Athena from his head and also Zeus’ overthrowing Chronos”.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

What?!? If this is an extention of your pet theory that the Lexx is a phallic symbol, I find that very unlikely.
    At best it’s eisegetic speculation and requires serious loosening of associations, at worst it’s borderline psychotic sexotropic pareidolia. Explanation: If you have sex on the brain, you’re going to see sex images everywhere. The Lexx is shaped like an insect. Nothing else. Not a male organ, not a nude woman. It has a distinct head, thorax, and abdomen, compound eyes, and an all-around arthropoid construction. It’s a dragonfly with no wings.

I think I might need to explain something to you – pareidolia is eisegetics. To ascribe meaning to something involves acts of inscription. Meaning is only possible via associations and is explicated/generated accordingly. Explanation: if you have meaning on the brain, you are going to see meaning everywhere. The question is where the meaning is really to be found. The answer is not (just) out there. Indeed, the world is not so much found but made in the finding. Despite what dgrequeen implied elsewhere, meaning is the most esotoric property imaginable (read: imagined). We need to distinguish between the model of reality and the reality of the model in order to better account for the relationship. The relation we are really talking about is the one between signifier and signified. I would therefore encourage you to invoke two other big words you seem disinclined to cite – that of semiotics and hermeneutics. You seem to want to rely on a literal or identity notion of meaning, but this is untentable within the context of making sense of anything, including that of (say) a penis or dragonfly. There is a disjunct between word and wor(l)d, and the one can only be generated by way of assosiation with the other. One thing (a word, concept, sentence, picture, etc) stands for or signifies another thing (object, event, property, situation, etc). Within the context of a language that encourages you to distinguish between pareidolia and eisegetics, you are invariably having recourse to language’s own pre/determinations (speculations). In other words, the relation between words explains the relation between word and world, and such a (semiotic) process is interpretive (or hermeneutical).

Indeed, the concept of meaning you seem to be defending is only relatively recent and culturally specific, and is inclined to interpret away its own symbolic status (relation to the world). What is at issue between us, then, is not a pet theory about Lexx’s symbolic function per se, but the role we seem to think a symbol plays within the universe. Everything is symbolic in so far as it possesses a content and exhibits a referent. The way symbols bridge this gap/cross the divide turns on the way content and referent relate to each other. As I indicated elsewhere, semiotics regards everything as a sign that refers (back) to other signs by way of interpretation and exeggesis. One way to illustrate this is the way you invoke one category of meaning to distinguish it from another (the ideas of ‘insect’ and ‘phallus’ respectively). These concepts, however, have already been mapped out for you in accordance with the way they function as signs within culturally determined significations (you might otherwise know their functional status as conceptual schemes or paradigms of meaning). Take the example of those planetary objects that continue to go by the significations of deities, even if WE do no deify such objects within our own accounts of the universe. Another way to illustrate this that via the notion that the universe is written in the language of mathematics. When you recognise a star as a star, however (or indeed, your own penis) it is not in the form of an equation – it is rather by way of an interpretation enabled by certain relations enacted by your own assumptions, as mediated by certain significations. The next time you go to the toilet you could (if you were say an Indian who subscribed to a different notion of meaning) be conceivably reaching for a dragonfly by some other name.

quote:

The Lexx is shaped like an insect. It has a distinct head, thorax, and abdomen, compound eyes, and an all-around arthropoid construction. It’s a dragonfly with no wings.

Hey, nice description of a penis.

[ 28-03-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Brigadoon is a musical. It’s about a place that exists, to some extent, outside of time and space. The LEXX episode “Brigadoom” is a musical, and the episode is set in a place that exists, to some extent, outside of time and space. One letter of the original title was changed in order to create a pun, or play on words. As the musical is about the destruction of the Brunnen-G, and the episode is set during a time in which pretty much everyone is guaranteed to face an ultimate destruction, the episode was cleverly titled “Brigadoom.” Doom, get it? Death, destruction, doom and gloom? It’s a pun.

So you’re suggesting “Brigadoom” is a portmanteau word, “Brigadoon”+”doom?” Does that come from an official source, or is it just speculation? That seems very out of place in terms of Lexx titles. Season two titles fall into 5 groups:

1. Proper names, usually referenced in dialog (Mantrid, Woz).

2. Nouns dealing with elements in the episode, usually referenced in dialog (Terminal, The Web).

3. Phrases from dialog (Wake the Dead, Patches in the Sky).

4. Straightforward titles, not referenced in dialog (Stan’s Trial, The End of the Universe).

5. Sayings/expressions, not referenced in dialog (Love Grows, White Trash).

The word/name “Brigadoom” is never spoken in the episode, so that rules out 3. 4 and 5 are clearly exempt. After checking the Oxford English Dictionary, Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary, and MacBain’s Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language, I came to the conclusion that “brigadoom” is not a real word, therefore not 2. So it would seem the only logical category it could fit in is 1 (the most common type of season two title). It looks like something is called Brigadoom, whether the phantasmal theater or Kai’s ghostly home town. But that is not clear (unless possibly on the D.V.D. or an interview I have not read). The title of Brigadoom is an enigma.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

No, it means their judgement would be sound since it would be free of such illusionistic elements. How people perceive the world is largely based on their own biases and mindsets, so things they see tend to conform to their mental architecture.

On a semi-related note, I feel I must confess that more recent research in the area of the alleged symbolism of the watering cans in Garden has unfolded in a manner not entirely supportive to my argument. I was running a still of the episode by people to settle the argument, and I felt that the study wouldn’t be complete until I got the opinion of a female subject. So I found a young lady who is level-headed and I’m sure does not have inappropriate thoughts about the male body and asked her what she saw in the picture of Stan and Lily. Much to my surprise she commented on the shape of the watering can and her interpretation of the image was identical to the one a couple members of the SadBoard perceived. So perhaps it was intentional symbolism. But it is so subtle as to be almost imperceptible to the average viewer.

Anonymous

quote:

That seems very out of place in terms of Lexx titles.

So, “Fluff Daddy” isn’t a portmanteau word? A play on the name “Puff Daddy” referencing Stan’s job as fluffer? Portmanteau titles are uncommon in LEXX, to be sure, but not unheard of. “A Midsummer’s Nightmare” is never spoken in the episode, and is a humorous comment on the action within the episode, referencing Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.” Again, the adaptation of a theatrical title to comment on the action within. “Texx LEXX” is a pun involving a style of cuisine (or music, for that matter, if you count Doug Sahm and the Texas Tornadoes), “Tex-Mex.” “ApocaLEXX Now” is a humorous take on the title of the film Apocalypse Now. It remains to be seen whether or not anyone actually *says* that in the ep, but I doubt anyone would. “Viva LEXX Vegas” is a reference to the hit song (and film) by Elvis (later covered to great effect by the Dead Kennedys), “Viva Las Vegas.” Again, it remains to be seen whether or not this is *spoken*, but again, I doubt it.

Season two titles fall into 5 groups:

Is this classification something you derived from statements from an official source? Or is it speculation?

The title of Brigadoom is an enigma.

Only to some. Er, I mean one.

–Aleck

[ 29-03-2002: Message edited by: Aleck ]

Anonymous

quote:

How people perceive the world is largely based on their own biases and mindsets, so things they see tend to conform to their mental architecture.

And what they *don’t* see also conforms to their own mental architecture.

So perhaps it was intentional symbolism. But it is so subtle as to be almost imperceptible to the average viewer.

Again, define “average.” Seeing as how most people *here* have seen it, most people exposed *to* the image by people here have reported seeing it, etc., I tend to think that your cross-section of subjects isn’t as varied as it should be (you admit that you chose this woman that you were sure didn’t have “inappropriate thoughts” about the male anatomy, was she chosen specifically for this trait?).

–Aleck

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

So you’re suggesting “Brigadoom” is a portmanteau word, “Brigadoon”+”doom?”

That’s exactly what it is, a portmanteu.

quote:

Does that come from an official source, or is it just speculation?

Neither. It’s totally obvious.

quote:

That seems very out of place in terms of Lexx titles. Season two titles fall into 5 groups:

1. Proper names, usually referenced in dialog (Mantrid, Woz).

2. Nouns dealing with elements in the episode, usually referenced in dialog (Terminal, The Web).

3. Phrases from dialog (Wake the Dead, Patches in the Sky).

4. Straightforward titles, not referenced in dialog (Stan’s Trial, The End of the Universe).

5. Sayings/expressions, not referenced in dialog (Love Grows, White Trash).

The word/name “Brigadoom” is never spoken in the episode, so that rules out 3. 4 and 5 are clearly exempt. After checking the Oxford English Dictionary, Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary, and MacBain’s Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language, I came to the conclusion that “brigadoom” is not a real word, therefore not 2. So it would seem the only logical category it could fit in is 1 (the most common type of season two title). It looks like something is called Brigadoom, whether the phantasmal theater or Kai’s ghostly home town. But that is not clear (unless possibly on the D.V.D. or an interview I have not read).

It’s interesting that you assumed that the titles of Lexx episodes follow a predetermined formula or pattern. However, I don’t think that’s the case.

It’s worth noting that the TV series, La Femme Nikita, followed a very obvious pattern to the naming of their episodes. First season episodes have one-word titles, second season episodes have two-word titles, third season episodes have three-word titles, etc.

However, if you insist on categorizing episode titles, then Brigadoom falls under the sixth category. Finish your list and move on.

quote:

The title of Brigadoom is an enigma.

*SIGH*

Just because you’ve never heard of the musical Brigadoon doesn’t mean that it has nothing to do with the Lexx episode Brigadoom. A number of us here on SadBoard have thoroughly explained the nature of the Brigadoon reference, yet you refuse to believe us. We are not trying to fool you.

I remember vividly the first time I saw Brigadoom. When I saw the title of the episode displayed on the television screen, I instantly made the connection between Brigadoon and Brigadoom. A building appears out of thin air, it’s a musical, the universe is doomed, Kai has his doom, Brigadoom. It is very, very, very, obvious.

At this point you’re probably thinking that I’m picking on you. I’m not. I’m being patient. We are telling you the truth.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

And what they *don’t* see also conforms to their own mental architecture.

True, but not relevant.

Again, define “average.”

Average is me.

I tend to think that your cross-section of subjects isn’t as varied as it should be (you admit that you chose this woman that you were sure didn’t have “inappropriate thoughts” about the male anatomy, was she chosen specifically for this trait?).

No, I selected her because I wanted a female opinion and she is pretty much the only female I know who will talk to me.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Just because you’ve never heard of the musical Brigadoon doesn’t mean that it has nothing to do with the Lexx episode Brigadoom.

As I said before (if you would pay attention to what I say and not acknowledge my statements selectively) I am familiar with Brigadoon. It is its relation to Lexx that is obscure.

If it was a portmanteau word then why didn’t you just up and say that when I first asked?

And it’s speculation until it is confirmed by an official source.

Anonymous

quote:

(Originally posted by Aleck) And what they *don’t* see also conforms to their own mental architecture.

(DT’s response) True, but not relevant.

No, I’m afraid that it’s extremely relevant to the discussion at hand. You have said in the past, on several different occasions, that you do not harbor within you *any* sexual instincts or urges. In fact, you have added on several other occasions that the representation of sexual content makes you *extremely* uncomfortable to the extent that you react in the form of OCD behavior (washing hands, etc.). It therefore stands to reason that if one (a) does not, either through some chemical imbalance or through extreme psychological repression, exhibit libido in any way, and (b) finds the exhibition of sexual content morally, physically and psychologically repellent, that the person in question would find it most effacious to, either conciously or subconciously, refuse to see sexual imagery even when it’s blatantly set in front of him/her.

Average is me.

No, I’m sorry, you’re wrong again. Anyone who finds the expression of sexual behavior abhorrent to the point that one finds it necessary to go to extremes to clean oneself after exposure to said behavior is not average. Anyone who insists that he/she does is not in posession of a libido is not average. Anyone who claims (as you once did) that the philosophy to which one subscribes is reviled by the vast majority of the public is not average. You have, through admission of several things on this board in the past, definitively and effectively removed yourself from the realm of “average,” “typical” and/or “normal.”

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

As I said before (if you would pay attention to what I say and not acknowledge my statements selectively) I am familiar with Brigadoon. It is its relation to Lexx that is obscure.

No it’s not. It’s not obscure in the least. It’s been pointed out time and time again how brain-smashingly *obvious* what the connections are between Brigadoon and “Brigadoom.” But, as you say…

…it’s speculation until it is confirmed by an official source.

Yes, like the official information you bought into when you said things such as, “Season 4 will take place in a futuristic Utopia!” and “Jim Fowler of Wild Kingdom (who, BTW, is something like 70 years old by now) starred as Rooster in ‘Texx LEXX.'” and “The three goth girls are the same actresses who played the dominatrix and ballerinas from ‘Tunnels.'”

Of course, if it fits in with your reality tunnel, proof doesn’t seem to be required. It’s just bought into whole-hog. If it ventures outside of that a little bit, then some Official Stamp of Truth is demanded. Okay, then…

The truth of the matter can be found by anybody who can type the words “Brigadoom” and “Brigadoon” into a search engine. Took me about a minute and a half. But if you’re not the kind of person that can operate a piece of heavy machinery like Google, here’s your freakin’ answer…

quote:

“Oh yeah,” says Donovan, completely matter-of-factly, “and for anyone who did like the song-and-dance routine in the second movie, there’s an episode next season that’s based on Brigadoon. It’ll be the whole show, basically a one-hour musical.”

“It’ll be so great it’ll make Evita look like a Madonna vehicle,” backs up Hirschfield.

“And that’s Brigadoom…,” Donovan informs me, “with an ‘m.'”

…and that little tidbit of information comes from Splarka’s archives, and can be found right here.

So THERE.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Actually, I think that’s from SFX Magazine, circa 1996/1997. It was in a three way telephone interview about the movies, where they hinted at plans for a season. I’ve got it around somewhere.

Anonymous

A thought or two about sexual content and whether it is deliberate or not. I recently had occasion to talk to Alex Busby, who’s their special effects producer, or something like that.

I asked him about the two giant steel balls hanging from Girltown that Pearl bounces off as he plummets to his death.

They’re testicles.

I asked what they were, wondering if there might be some ‘plausible’ explanation. Maybe they’d done some plans or designs of city infrastructure or architecture, stuff like that.

But nope, they were intended to be testicles dangling from great wide splayed pillars. It was an in joke from the post production guys, who thought it would be cute to put testicles on a City run by lesbians. Paul didn’t know about it, but they showed it to him, he liked it.

He said just about every sexual image that you’ll see in the series is likely to be deliberate.

So there you go.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

As I said before (if you would pay attention to what I say and not acknowledge my statements selectively) I am familiar with Brigadoon.

Now you are starting to become infuriating. I am telling you this in the most polite terms possible.

I would also like to take the time to point out that you are not paying attention to what I say either. Let’s take a look at something I posted earlier in this thread:

quote:

Okay, boys and girls! Let’s get this one straight once and for all!

Brigadoon was the first big hit for the magical team of Lerner and Loewe. Inspired by Germelshausen, a german story by Friedrich Gerstäcker, Brigadoon revolves around two American tourists, Tommy Albright and Jeff Douglas, who stumble upon a misty little Scottish town. Tommy soon falls in love with a local lass, Fiona MacLaren, but as the two men quickly discover, this mysterious little town only reawakens for one day every hundred years.

Brigadoon opened at the Ziegfeld Theatre on March 13, 1947 and ran for 581 performances. It established Lerner and Loewe as the successors of Rodgers and Hammerstein. The 1954 screen version featured Gene Kelly , Cyd Charisse, and Van Johnson.

Described by its authors as “a whimsical musical fantasy”, Brigadoon is set in a magic Scottish village which comes out of the Highland mists once every hundred years, only to disappear after one day. Two American tourists — Tommy Albright and Jeff Douglas — on a visit to Scotland get lost in a forest. They hear distant voices (“Brigadoon”), then see a village come hazily into view. Entering it, they come to MacConnachy Square, in Brigadoon, where a gay fair is taking place. Andrew MacLaren has come there with his two daughters, Fiona and Jean; the latter is soon to be married to Charlie Dalrymple, much to the displeasure of Harry Beaton, who wants to marry her himself. Meg Brockie, a brash young woman, expresses surprise that Fiona is not jealous of her sister, since becoming a bride is quite an event and achievement in Brigadoon. Fiona explains by giving Meg a clue to her personal philosophy (“Waitin’ for My Dearie”). When Jeff and Tommy are observed all the activities in the square stop short, for they are not only strangers but strangers from a distant land. Tommy is immediately attracted to Fiona. When the latter announces she is going to gather heather for her sister’s wedding, Tommy insists he be allowed to accompany her. At first Fiona declines, but she grows more amenable after Tommy has sung a plaintive tune to her (“Heather on the Hill”). They now go off, hand in hand.

Later, in the MacLaren home, Jean is preparing to pack in preparation for her imminent wedding. The bridegroom, Charlie, comes to inscribe his name in the MacLaren family album, after which he sings of his intense longing for his bride (“Come to Me, Bend to Me”). Then Fiona and Tommy return from their expedition, late and happy. When Jeff appears, Tommy confides his feelings for Fiona (“Almost Like Being in Love”). Jeff and Tommy come upon the family album. Glancing through it, they remark the peculiar coincidence that a hundred years ago, on this very day, a Fiona MacLaren was married to a Charlie Dalrymple. It is their first clue that something eerie is happening around them. Fiona refuses to enlighten them, so they seek out one of the venerable citizens of Brigadoon, Mr. Lundie, and learn from him of the strange history of this town that lives one day every hundred years.

The wedding ceremony now takes place, with the festive townspeople enjoying songs and dances. Suddenly Harry Beaton arrives, determined to prevent the marriage from taking place. He lunges at the bridegroom with his knife, but, fortunately, Tommy arrests his hand. As Harry flees, Jeff trips him; Harry falls on his head and is instantly killed.

When the wedding is over, Tommy confesses to Fiona he loves her dearly (“There But For You Go I”). Because of Fiona he is determined to stay in Brigadoon, come what may. But Jeff convinces him that it is impossible for Tommy to live in a dream, that reality dictates Tommy must return home to New York and marry his fiancée, Jane Ashton. Sadly, Tommy realizes the wisdom of Jeff’s words. He bids Fiona a tender farewell (“From This Day On”) and leaves Brigadoon with Jeff.

Back in New York, Jane Ashton upbraids Tommy for having failed to “come to me” as soon as he had returned from Europe. The words “come to me” strike a responsive chord with Tommy. In a mist he sees Fiona before him in Brigadoon. This vision convinces him that he must break with Jane Ashton once and for all. It also convinces him that he must return to Scotland. With Jeff once again as his companion Tommy is back in the forest outside Brigadoon. Somewhere in the mist, whispers Tommy, there is a girl he desperately wants but knows he will never get. Jeff inquires if this is the reason Tommy has made the long journey back to Scotland. Tommy now reveals he simply had to convince himself that Fiona and Brigadoon belong not to the real but to the dream world. Suddenly Tommy hears voices in the distance, and sees Mr. Lundie approaching him. He takes Tommy by the hand to lead him back to Brigadoon. “You see,” explains Mr. Lundie, “love can do anything — even miracles.” Waving farewell to Jeff, Tommy follows Mr. Lundie into the Highland mists.

Brigadoon was a red-letter day for the American theatre, if only because it was the first major Broadway success by Lerner and Loewe, the words-and-music duo that later created the history-making My Fair Lady. But even if My Fair Lady had never been written, Brigadoon would still have earned for its authors an honoured place in the American musical theatre. The Drama Critics Circle singled it out as the best play of the season, the first time a musical had been thus honoured. And there was sound reason for this choice. Brigadoon is one of the most delightful fantasies that the American musical stage has known — fresh and innovative in its characterizations, dialogue and lyrics; utterly enchanting in its melodies. As Brook Atkinson said of it: “The incantation is complete and easy.”

It seems, DalekTek790, that you completely ignored this post. As you can see, it is a thorough explaination of the 1947 musical, Brigadoon. I have no idea why you subsequently posted this message:

quote:

I mean, was that the name of the theater? Is it a Brunnen-G term? Is it an X-Files-style arcane title that is actually a word that somehow connects to the episode? The word (name?) “Brigadoom” is never spoken in the episode’s dialog (in the U.S. cut, at least), so its significance is unclear.

Later it seems that maybe you absorbed something of what I posted about Brigadoon since you posted:

quote:

…and then Aleck felt he had to spell it out for you again:

quote:

–Aleck

How dare you accuse me of acknowledging your statements selectively. I read all of your posts. Thoroughly.

quote:

If it was a portmanteau word then why didn’t you just up and say that when I first asked?

I’ve never heard of that term until you mentioned it. I looked it up in the dictionary and yes, it is a portmanteau. It is also called a pun, which is what Aleck pointed out.

What it comes down to, DalekTek790, is that you just didn’t “get” the pun. You didn’t understand the joke. The humor flew over your head. This is not a failing. Many strong-minded, logical people fail to understand jokes the first time around. It’s not that big of a deal.

quote:

And it’s speculation until it is confirmed by an official source.

And then Aleck found for you an official source:

quote:

…and that little tidbit of information comes from Splarka’s archives, and can be found right here.

So THERE.

–Aleck

Will that be enough for you, my good man? I truly hope it will.

Thank you and good day.

[ 29-03-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

Anonymous

Ease up guys, we’re on the verge of becoming hostile to each other, if we’re not already. We don’t need to do this, and we don’t need to be unpleasant to each other. Whatever the differences between you and DalekTek790, try to remember that he does love the show, and if he sees things differently or interprets things differently, thats his right. This should be a fun place for friendly discussion, not hostile argument.

DalekTek790
    Participant

I said you were right about the symbol. What more do you want from me?!?

Look, it’s not like I said there is no sexual symbolism in Lexx. If it’s apparent, I acknowledge it, like the Dark Lady’s phallic tower in Woz and the possible erotic connotations of certain events in Eating Pattern

You’re just saying a lot of things that have no relevance to this discussion in order to upset me and convince other board members that they shouldn’t listen to me.

Now I’ll address your other post:

quote:

Yes, like the official information you bought into when you said things such as, “Season 4 will take place in a futuristic Utopia!” and “Jim Fowler of Wild Kingdom (who, BTW, is something like 70 years old by now) starred as Rooster in ‘Texx LEXX.'” and “The three goth girls are the same actresses who played the dominatrix and ballerinas from ‘Tunnels.'”

None of those were my fault. Apparently, Rooster in Texx Lexx was played by a different actor named Jim Fowler, and the compilers of the Internet Movie Database mistakenly put their credits under the same profile. It was their mistake, I just copied it. Besides, it’s not like I argued or anything after you corrected that. I trusted the site because it is a very large and popular website with a lot of information painstakingly compiled by a lot of people. I can’t just assume all the information there is flawed until I get proof otherwise. One can’t function in complete scepticism, a certain amount of faith has to be placed in some things in order to function in life, like I assume that I’m having this conversation and not dreaming or being fed sensations in a virtual reality machine.

Of course, if it fits in with your reality tunnel, proof doesn’t seem to be required. It’s just bought into whole-hog. If it ventures outside of that a little bit, then some Official Stamp of Truth is demanded.

I need evidence before I’ll believe something. That’s what separates me from the superstitious peasantfolk of pre-scientific society.

The truth of the matter can be found by anybody who can type the words “Brigadoom” and “Brigadoon” into a search engine. Took me about a minute and a half. But if you’re not the kind of person that can operate a piece of heavy machinery like Google, here’s your freakin’ answer…and that little tidbit of information comes from Splarka’s archives, and can be found right here.

I did that and I found that page, among others. It just doesn’t answer my question.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

How dare you accuse me of acknowledging your statements selectively. I read all of your posts. Thoroughly.

That’s not what the evidence would suggest. Now, I’m going to say this one last time: I know what Brigadoon is and I knew that before I posted on this thread or saw the episode or read about it on this website. Postigat?

I would also like to take the time to point out that you are not paying attention to what I say either. Let’s take a look at something I posted earlier in this thread…It seems, DalekTek790, that you completely ignored this post.

I read that. I read all of your posts on the threads I follow, with the exception of the song posts.

Now, I’ll explain this to you in simple terms so you can understand it: The choice of the title for Brigadoom is not self-evident from material within the episode, like the titles of other episodes of Lexx up to that point. I wanted to know the internal meaning of that term (not external associations).

Now, if you still don’t know what I mean, then this issue has officially passed into the realm of “your problem” (not mine).

Anonymous

quote:

I did that and I found that page, among others. It just doesn’t answer my question.

Okay, you want to know what the internal logic of the episode selection title is?

THERE IS NO INTERAL LOGIC.

There is not *any* internal reference to that episode title, other than the fact that the episode itself, to quote series creator Paul Donovan, is “based on Brigadoon.” Just as “A Midsummer’s Nightmare” has no internal reference point other than the fact that it’s based on A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Fault the interviewer for not asking the question “Why did you name that episode ‘Brigadoom’?” after Paul had just said what the episode itself was based on. Of course, I can see *why* he didn’t ask the question. Because it’s a stupid freakin’ question, that’s why. He didn’t say “I called it Brigadoom as a play on the title of the Lerner/Lowe musical Brigadoon,” because he had just *said* that the episode was based on the musical, and that it’s title was something remarkably close to the title *of* said musical. Unfortunately for us *all*, Paul Donovan seems to have been giving members of the viewing public too much *credit* in assuming that they’d be able to put those pieces together for themselves. He should have explicitly said “Just for those of you who may be curious, or who can’t add two plus two without consulting a professor of advanced mathematics, the title ‘Brigadoom’ is a portmanteau word combining the title Brigadoon with the concept of doom, referencing both the source material and the subject matter addressed in the episode itself.” But, sadly, Paul Donovan seems to have just assumed that people would be able to figure these things out for themselves.

Sadly, he never counted on you.

–Aleck

[ 29-03-2002: Message edited by: Aleck ]

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Now, I’ll explain this to you in simple terms so you can understand it: The choice of the title for Brigadoom is not self-evident from material within the episode, like the titles of other episodes of Lexx up to that point. I wanted to know the internal meaning of that term (not external associations).

It is self-evident.

If you’re going to make an episode of a television show into a musical, what are you going to name the episode? If your show has elements of comedy, like Lexx, then it is entirely appropriate to spoof the title of a famous musical. Gilbert & Sullivan titles are usually fair game. But, of course, it is best to name your episode in a manner that is appropriate to the plot of the episode.

Let’s take a look at the general plot of the episode. The Lexx is traveling through space when it enters a mist. When the mist clears, a theater appears. Our heroes investigate and they find the inhabitants engaged in song and dance. Kai and Xev become involved in the story of the musical. (Stan plays the part of the audience.) They are given the choice of staying with the theater people or returning to their normal lives. A decision is made and they all leave the theater which vanishes as mysteriously as it appeared.

Now let’s really think about this. Are there any other musicals besides Brigadoon that even remotely resembles this plot line?

It would not make sense to name that episode of Lexx, “Brigadoon“. There is nothing in the episode named Brigadoon. But the plotline does resemble the plot of the very famous musical, Brigadoon. And since Lexx has strong elements of comedy, it is entirely appropriate to use puns. Therefore, a pun of the name Brigadoon is in order. What should the pun be? What word sounds like “Brigadoon” and sums up the current situation for our heroes? They, along with everyone else in the Light Zone are doomed, an expression that is commonly used in adventure stories of television and film. So it is obvious they decided to combine the “Brigadoon” and “doom” because 1) it accurately describes the nature of the episode and 2) it accurately describes the current situation of our heroes.

DalekTek790, I have just completed thoroughly explaining the creative process involved in the naming of Lexx episode 2.18 Brigadoom. What you are doing is questioning why the artist named the work of art. Doing such a thing is immensely annoying to any given artist. A work of art is meant to be taken at face value. If you don’t “get it”, then that is your loss. But to continually question the nature of the aritist’s creative process is pointless.

I want you to take a look at this work of 20th century art:

DUCHAMP, Marcel
    The Bride Stripped Bare by her Bachelors, Even
    1915-23
    Oil paint, varnish, lead foil, lead wire, and dust on two glass plates (cracked). each mounted between two glass panels in a steel and wood frame
    272.5 x 175.8 cm
    Philadelphia Museum of Art

Now without doing any research on the internet or looking up any reference material about Marcel Duchamp or his work, I want you to tell me what this work of art is about and a theory as to why it was named The Bride Stripped Bare by her Bachelors, Even. Don’t be shy, tell me what you think. And this is not some kind of psychological test or trick, so don’t worry about that. The answer will suprise you.

Here is a larger JPEG of the same work.

[ 29-03-2002: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

dgrequeen
    Participant

I suppose what I was trying to suggest is that the anal humour has a deeper connotation. Anu(s) is the god of the sky and re/creation in various mythology, and the notion of anus as displacement connects up with the notion of an end/ing as a new beginning. Indeed, if you look up the Book of the Dead, you’ll find the idea(d) of Anu as day of judgement and deliverance. I include a copy and paste of Anus as deity.

Uh huh.

Valdron: “crap hats”!?!? I LOVED their hats!

bonnee
    Participant

**Toll Troll Alert**

Aleck, I’m not sure why you feel the need to so publicly fly off the handle so often, doing your part to render discussion inhospitable and intractable. I’ve called you on this before and I will continue to do so. You cannot claim the defense of a private discussion in a public forum, irrespective of the fact that it is just between you and Lee. At least when we read Flamegrape’s responses, the attempt to contain himself is palpable, however exasperated he might also be. Can I please suggest that you a) conduct yourself in a more seemly manner b)email your tantrums to him or c)consider an anger management course as a way of getting your obviously correct points across. You invalidate valid points by way of the bizzare sense of entitlement and righteousness

So there.

One out of five Americans has an anger management problem. Anger is a natural human emotion and is nature’s way of empowering us to “ward off” our perception of an attack or threat to our well being. The problem is not anger, the problem is the mismanagement of anger. Mismanaged anger and rage is the major cause of conflict in our personal and professional relationships.

Domestic abuse, road rage, workplace violence, divorce, and addiction are just a few examples of what happens when anger is mismanaged. (We might also add Internet discussion with Aleck *freaking* Bennett)

[ 29-03-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:
    **Toll Troll Alert**

Aleck, I’m not sure why you feel the need to so publicly fly off the handle so often, doing your part to render discussion inhospitable and intractable.

Yes, you’d be the expert on that, wouldn’t you? Sorry that there’s been an argument on this board that *wasn’t* directly involving you. I’ll try and remember your insistent need on making everything about you from now on.

Thanks for the heads-up!

*smooch!*

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Thanks for the heads-up!

*smooch!*

Hey, it was my pleasure Aleck – so, your welcome. When you pull your head out of that orfice that YOU’VE claimed describes you (since your HEAD fits right UP there, its no wonder it pops out of your neck) feel free to be my teletubby

BIG HUG

[ 30-03-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Valdron:
    I would have to say that in a real contest between Brigadoom and the Game, I would have to give it to the Game.

Brigadoom would take the lead in the contest quite early, and would likely hold it for a considerable time. After all, their cast has bodies, are brightly coloured, and move around a lot in intricate ways.

In contrast, the Game is just a bunch of heads. ‘Ha!’ The Brigadoom players would
    go, ‘we mock you with our monkey pants!’

Oh wait, wrong series.

‘We mock you with our elaborate costumes and hairstyles and bodies full of limbs!’ The Brigadoom players would go and the Game-sters would wail and gnash their teeth and turn around in circles like they do when they’re frustrated.

But, I think I’d have to say that the Brigadoom players have no staying power. Sooner or later, they’d be distracted by some shiny object and start singing about that. All that choreagraphy is very nice, but does it control a board? Nope.

Hey, I LIKE bright shiny objects!

OOOOOH, LOOK AT THAT!!!!!

…. Um, what was I just saying???

DalekTek790
    Participant

Okay, back to the original topic, I give The Game 3 stars and Brigadoom 3 1/2.

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek warrior

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek the Scientist

“I will love you forever!” -drone #790

[ 31-03-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Anonymous

Some of you guys & gals have waffles for brains sometimes. It is just a simple question. Which do you think is better: Brigadoom or The Game? Me, I choose The Game. Prince is in it, there is no really nasty violence or sexual crap and it is technically, bar the series finale, the most amazing episode of Lexx ever, even if the story idea isn’t an original one. Insert that in our toaster and bake it light brown! Notice I said ‘some of you guys and gals’: anyone who wants to get offended, by all means: “I am good with pain”.

FX
    Participant

Originally posted by :
    Some of you guys & gals have waffles for brains sometimes.

hey, i resemble that remark

It is just a simple question. Which do you think is better: Brigadoom or The Game? Me, I choose The Game.

me too, although my reasons are not the same…but as a ferocious hater of musicals (but i did know what brigadoom was a play on, even though i have never seen brigadoon ) i have to say i find myself oddly attached to that eppy as well; it was incredibly engaging and moving despite the fact i was initially dreading it

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: FX ]
    thread tooo loooong…must restart now

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: FX ]

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.