Bring Back James T. Kirk??!!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff Bring Back James T. Kirk??!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    carup008
    Participant

I am surprised to hear that there are people (web site actually)who want to give life back to this star trek character! I just think that the guy has had his day, and if the franchise is to survive, it had better come up with some original ideas, rather than recycling old actors. What are your thoughts?

theFrey
    Participant
    carup008 wrote:

Bring Back James T. Kirk??!!

As what? A featured snack on the Atkins diet? A visual form of birth control? You must be more specific. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

If you mean through William Shatner, they’d have to bring him back almost Pike-like with the chair and everything =p Seriously the guy is like 80.

As for the character, it’s really eternal anyway. Star Trek has never been “strict” when it comes to actual science (Stop laughing), and since they love Time-Travel so much it’s entirely a possibility. Especially with that whole Flax thing, oh wait that’s Farscape, I mean the Ether or wherever it was that Kirk got trapped. Garsh, what was that stuff called? Grr.

Anywho, Kirk has been my idol ever since the day he butchered the Declaration of Independence. “We……THE PEOPLE!” (clenchs fist). Anyone who’s seen that ep, knows what I mean ๐Ÿ˜‰

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

Anywho, Kirk has been my idol ever since the day he butchered the Declaration of Independence. “We……THE PEOPLE!” (clenchs fist). Anyone who’s seen that ep, knows what I mean ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes! That has always been a personal favorite ep of mine, and the ending was one of Shatner’s finest moments ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, I was curious- what’s the story with Kirk’s “special lighting” in TOS? Whenever the camera focuses on him there is often a shadow on his forehead and by his chin and mouth but a streak of light in the middle of his face. Anyway, I was watching TOS Sat. AM and was thinking about it. I was reminded of a SNL skit with ‘Barbara Walters’ and her special filter, if anyone can recall that.

Anyway, I don’t post here often but I really love the site!

theFrey
    Participant
    YOWAYYO wrote:

Also, I was curious- what’s the story with Kirk’s “special lighting” in TOS? Whenever the camera focuses on him there is often a shadow on his forehead and by his chin and mouth but a streak of light in the middle of his face. Anyway, I was watching TOS Sat. AM and was thinking about it. I was reminded of a SNL skit with ‘Barbara Walters’ and her special filter, if anyone can recall that.

They did the same thing to Mortisa in the Adams Family movies. Any time they did a close up of her, it was only her eyes lit.

Anonymous
    theFrey wrote:

They did the same thing to Mortisa in the Adams Family movies. Any time they did a close up of her, it was only her eyes lit.

And kept it for the movies too which I loved =)

Another trick is the “vasoline on the camera lense” to make the features looks more ethereal and not expose wrinkles or other quote/unquote “imperfections”.

With Shatner they may have felt his eyes were his best feature and wanted to highlight them, dunno though. They certainly wore plenty of eyeshadow on that show.

Sidhecafe
    Participant

hasn’t he been reincarnated as Dylan Hunt?? + some treehugger thrown in for good measure?? ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

No really they should make Kirk a franchise within the Star Trek universe somehow, like Kirk academy churning out newer improved “breaking the rules” type starship capts!!

Or a fast food chain? line of EVA wear?

carup008
    Participant

I have to say that this topic I started is getting out of hand ๐Ÿ˜† I mean…a Kirk burger!!?? Aren’t there already enough people dying of high blood cholesterol in the 21st century ๐Ÿ™„

Sidhecafe
    Participant

Kirk Burger ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† !!

With a side of “I can’t get behind that” sauce!!!

Love that song off Has Been

YOWAYYO
    Participant

I am in agreement with carup008’s original post. If ‘Enterprise’ is to go on successfully it cannot rely on the older characters no matter how popular they are. How old is Shatner, anyway? 70? I’d love to see that story line! ๐Ÿ˜†

This series is probably done soon, anyway. I still watch because I grew up on Trek and for a long time I was just a ‘meat and potatos’ kinda sci-fi fan. Then shows like ‘The Lexx’ came along I haven’t been the same since. Better late than never, I suppose. Anyway, I think the franchise should take a few years off after ‘Enterprise’ and regroup. A lot of people probably felt that way after ‘Voyager.’

theFrey
    Participant

They may well consider it, just think. Should they put the show on hold for five or ten years, that would give the original cast time to fade further. They then they could re-cast the darn thing with what ever up and coming hotties they like and snag a whole new audience.

Think of the cost savings! The entire franchise to plunder for story lines for the new cast. Lots of the design work has already been done, they could just pick and choose for the look they want… tweak both scripts and look and bada-boom bada-bing we are back in business and off and running at a substantial savings. ๐Ÿ˜€

Sidhecafe
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

ladies and gentlemen: thefrey, always a pleasure!

carup008
    Participant

Oh dear, recast the original trek series ๐Ÿ™ ? Are Paramount that short of original ideas ๐Ÿ˜ฅ ?

What about pushing trek to the 29th centuary? You know, try the Daniels storyline, with people whizzing through time and space at their command 8) !

Now that could bring in some new ideas to the trek franchise !

theFrey
    Participant
    carup008 wrote:

Oh dear, recast the original trek series ๐Ÿ™ ? Are Paramount that short of original ideas ๐Ÿ˜ฅ ?

Yep. Often. It is.

Could Paramount go boldly where they have not gone before. Sure. Could they re-hash the old into a slicker new format? Sure. Are they going to? Perhaps, but mining old nuggets is a stock in trade for the enterainment industry.

What? You don’t want to see Johnny Depp someday playing James T. Kirk? ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you were going to recast the original program/series who would you choose?

carup008
    Participant

Sure, Depp would be great…..somehow I do not think that Paramount will want to fork out so much money ๐Ÿ˜†

If they do, I say cast the new trek series in the 29th century, with a totally new storyline, with time travel as a regular feature. (I am fascinated with the concept of time travel, even though I think that it will never go beyond the realms of Sci-fi.

theFrey
    Participant
    carup008 wrote:

Sure, Depp would be great…..somehow I do not think that Paramount will want to fork out so much money ๐Ÿ˜†

Ah, but I was thinking this could be when Depp wants to quit with the location shots required by movies and settle down somewhere with his family. ๐Ÿ˜€

carup008
    Participant

So people, did you read the latest? According to Manny Coto, exec producer of “Enterprise” negotiations with Shatner for a possible appearance on the show are “stalled” for Monetary reasons !

Unfortunately, that is not the end of the story since Coto is hinting that Kirk will somehow make an appearence in the show ๐Ÿ˜•

So I am guessing that, as in one of the deep space 9 eps., Enterprise /Kirk will travel in time and meet up ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Yep, they are definately short on original ideas ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.