Crap

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

I am so disapointed that MM and Donovan will not be at UnCon. I have moved heaven and earth to schedule this thing. I could just scream.

——————
    thefrey
    “Oh, come on. If you can’t laugh at the walking dead, who can you laugh at?” – Dan Fielding

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    I have moved heaven and earth to schedule this thing. I could just scream.

i feel your pain, i alienated a lot of people when i decided not to attend our graduation/awards dinner in favor of the hali event and now i feel too many things have gone wrong between sad and newkate not being able to go, and now three of the principals not being there…am seriously contemplating not going…not in some infantile attempt to spite anyone but just because i do not feel like fighting anymore…

theFrey
    Participant

While I do not claim to understand the demands of television production, several things about this latest development have me puzzled.

Consider these three things, Lexx is unusual in that it has a very strong female fan base. The people who go to conventions are usually your more outspoken fans and finally by my calculations, which could be wrong because I had to guess at the gender of some of the names, almost 3/4 of the UnCon attendees are women. Now with certain exceptions, most of those 73 and even some of the guys have a least a passing interest in meeting MM and are now disappointed, possibly a third of them are more than disappointed they are upset, and then you have the final group which are more than upset they are feeling a little hostile. Was this a good move for production, probably, was it a good move for word of mouth publicity, I don’t think so.

This group was pumped to generate some serious new season buzz. How great the show was, how wonderful it was to meet all the stars, How wonderful it was of the studio to arrange it, ect…. What kind of new season buzz are you going to get out of this group now? Don’t get me wrong, people will still have fun, the show will still be good, they will still meet some of the stars, but when they talk about their trip instead of dwelling on only the fun and excitement, this is going to come up and put a damper on the buzz.

Also the number of fans don’t even matter, I’ve seen posts where people have said, well only a few people are going. So? A lot of them are very vocal fans. I have a least one person a day ask me what kind of show is your screen saver from. I’ve talked to the entertainment editors of the four largest papers in Texas, telling them how much I like Lexx, and why they should think about doing an article about it. And have had an email exchange with the San Antonio Televison Critic who said she would have to check this Lexx show out. And I’m only one person, who has only been watching the show for three months.

As Paul Donovan himself pointed out, Lexx needs the fans to get the newspapers and reviewers interested if it wants any media ink. Well, the fans, many of which have paid great sums of money to appear on the day that the studio designated would like to feel a little more needed. As I said, considering the wonderful efforts I have heard about that Sater Street previously went to for fan happiness, this latest move leave me a little puzzled.

But this is only my opinion, please let the flaming begin

——————
    thefrey
    “Oh, come on. If you can’t laugh at the walking dead, who can you laugh at?” – Dan Fielding

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by thefrey:
    While I do not claim to understand the demands of television production, several things about this latest development have me puzzled.

As Paul Donovan himself pointed out, Lexx needs the fans to get the newspapers and reviewers interested if it wants any media ink. Well, the fans, many of which have paid great sums of money to appear on the day that the studio designated would like to feel a little more needed.

no flaming here honey, just disappointment and shared confusion…granted, the uncon does not have the organizational infrastructure and exigencies of producing a television show, but considering how long it took this has been in the works, i find it puzzling that the powers that be at lexx made a final decision regarding a location shoot (and all the logistics that goes with it,) less than two weeks from the date that has been in the works since march…seems like they would have been working on this for a while…or maybe it really is a last minute event…i guess i pictured filming a television show, on a budget no less, to be a much more rigorous and long planned exercise…i kind of feel like i was going to see led zeppelin, only to find out jimmy page and robert plant had decided to go play elsewhere!

Anonymous

I can understand the dissapointments especially from two noted LEXXians as yerselves….

Erm… there’s no ‘But’ to that statement, it’s just really sad.

I sometimes wonder how much the production team and the actors feels about the fans. All I can say is that when I went a couple of years ago I found everyone bending over backwards to make us feel welcome. MM seemed a bit distant but that’s what the guy is like, he’s very personable in his own way and took special trouble to write a note to my then girlfriend Newkate.

Paul, I know is monsterously busy and strangely quiet. Of all the people I met he was the quietest. He’s hugely passionate about the show (with all the other (successful) Salter Street shows that he is involved with, LEXX I think, is his baby).

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m pretty sure that they would have moved heaven and earth to get there if they could to be there. It’s very true that the LEXXians attending are among the most vocal AND active and I’m sure that PD and MM know that.

The LEXX club will probably be going through a lot of pain at the moment because MM and Paul wont be attending, for most people this will be the only holiday they can afford this year, and everyone has such high expectations. I sincerely hope that they don’t feel too dissapointed. Mamabear, Brian Downey, Xenia, Patricia Zentelli and all the others will still make it one helluva great time.

Despite the bad news about MM and PD, I really, really, really wish I was going

——————

[This message has been edited by SadGeezer (edited June 07, 2001).]

trillian
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

That’s a big ditto for me.

There are so many people that I haven’t met in the flesh, and I talk with them almost everyday online. It would be so exciting to actually see them face to face, watch how they talk, seeing them actually laughing instead of the ‘LOL’

I don’t want you to think this is a flame, thefrey. I just think you were hasty in cancelling so many plans that you had made. I think you should still go, despite Murphy’s law. I can understand your disappointment, BOY can I ever. I wanted to go last year, thought I would, and then (as ussual) something popped up, and I couldn’t. Same for this year. Wanted to go, thought I would, something popped up, can’t go. (I’m a tad sleepy, so forgive me if this seems like a babble.)

What I’m trying to say is…you will see how much fun everyone had and wonder why you didn’t go. Brian Downey, Patricia Zentilli, Xenia, Lex G. will all be there, and that’s ussually more stars from one show than people see at regular convention. If Brian is any indication of what they are like, then what a fantastic bunch!

*toddler mode* GO DARN YOU! Go so I can at least see some pictures on the sites, go so you can brag about what a beautiful place Halifax is, go so you can say you drank someone under the table, or you got to see someone get drunk under the table or whatever! HUFF.

*preceding messege brought to you by jealousy of someone actually having the plane tickets*

๐Ÿ˜›

——————
    “…we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what normal is anyway.”

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:

well saddy, and trillian, i really really really wish you were all going too, as i said that is part of my disappointment, as is the lack of aleck, mantrid, crusader and many many others…and don’t you worry there will be plenty of pictures to look at, even if i have to loan my digital camera to blackie so she can download and email in the blink of an eye (and a usb port )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.