How do they get the Stars at a Convention

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Conventions How do they get the Stars at a Convention

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

On one of the other boards a question was asked about who, they should write Dragon Con and ask them to invite. My post in reply follows.

Well I would definiately lobby for my personal favorites. We already know that Ms. Seeberg, Ms. Dubin and Ms. Zentilli are interested. Mr. Downey and Mr. Bennett seem very at home with the whole con thing, but of course it would depend on wether their schedules or inclination would make Atlanta interesting to them. I have not heard one way or the other on them yet.

Another consideration unfortunately may be where they fall in the whole Con pecking order. Few guests are compensated by the convention. Con compensation packages range from;

They pay you an appearance fee (Special Honored Guests possibly someone like Michele Nichols or whoever is VERY hot at the moment)

They give you travel expenses and a room (like a thousand or so depending on where they are comming from)

They give you a travel stipen (like say $500.00) to defray the costs.

The allow you to set up a table to make money on signatures, or give you a free (or reduced price) table in the Art or Dealers room. (for artists and game designers)

So how do they get the other ones?? Well sometimes the Studio’s or Networks send them for publicity. (Not much chance of that with AA)

Sometime they come on their own for the same reason.

Sometime they really enjoy these kind of things and want to party a bit, while working on their personal publicity.

And lastly, some times they are sponsered by a Fan Club or Special Interest Group.

Just stuff to ponder.

Anonymous

Here’s something I’ve been pondering!
    The noticeable absence of Michael McManus’ name (out of respect for his feelings on making appearances?) has, well…bothered me ,a bit! I was pleasantly surprised to see Flamegrape’s post at Lexx.com openly asking someone to to be a liason between Mr.McManus and Dragon Con. Assuredly he deserves the courtesy of inclusion (though a reply of any sort seems unlikely?) Could it be possible his hiatus from filming Lexx has tempered his view of his fans? Perhaps…perhaps not. But- things can (and do) change!
    True Story- One night at D.C. my husband and I bumped into this guy who made a comment about the shirt my hubby had on. We ended up having a drink and a boring (to me, anyway) conversation about golf! Towards the end of their little chat I find out he is David Naughton (American Werewolf in London) and had once upon a time absolutely loathed this type of thing; now he enjoys them from time to time- enjoys the chance to run into old aquaintances, enjoys his fans, and enjoys the atmoshere, and just to marvel at how bizarre people can be! He was warm, intelligent, funny, and a regular guy! It was a pleasure to meet him. Next day I’m thumbing thru the D.C. directory and read his bio. The guy had a gold record, has star status in film, television, and American theater, and,(there it was, in print) likes golf! And there he was, strolling thru the crowds like everyone else, enjoying himself! Anyway, Fg’s “a stars alternatives to signing autographs at D.C.” was excellant. Perhaps Mr.McManus will give it a go, someday. I was left with the impression, after meeting Mr.Naughton, that those anti-fan sentiments aren’t uncommon, and even the most publicity-shy actors can reach a “fan-interactive comfort level”, in time. Perhaps, in time, Kai fans may be so lucky!

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Frey, Trini_T,
    I think that’s absolutely wonderful that Xenia, Ms. Dubin & Ms. Zentilli are interested in going to next yr’s Dragon*Con; I hope they do get to go; may be I can e-mail Gallifrey & see if they’d be interested in these ladies as guests.
    I do hope that since Nigel often goes to the Gallifrey Convention, may be he’ll be interested in going to Dragon*Con.
    Mr. Downey might like both Dragon*Con & Gallifrey Conventions, since he like to do that kind of thing.

The noticable absence of Michael McManus’ name (out of respect for his feelings on making appearances?) has, well.. bothered me ,a bit! I was pleasantly surprised to see Flamgrape’s post at lexx.com openly asking someone to to be a liason between Mr. McManus and Dragon Con.

Well, Trini_T, I hope that Flamegrape does get his wish; I too would very much like to see Mr. McManus (Kai)& take a picture with him; may be as Keyeo, Kai’s little sister.

Next day, I’m thumbing thru the D.C. directory and read his bio. the guy had a gold record, has a star staus on film, television and American Theater, and,(there it was, in print) likes golf.

That’s very interesting, Trini_T; he also probably, since he’s Canadian, likes Hockey & probably played it with his friends when he was a boy. I would love to find that out & talk with him about it & his Theatre experience.
    Take care & have a great Fall & Veterans Day.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz

Anonymous

Jhevz, absolutely no-one expects Mr.McManus to attend D.C.- I was simply referring to Fg’s suggestion that he’d be included if and when the Lexx cast is extended formal invitations. It’s…”Good form, old chap, good form” and that is all it is. Personally, I would wager quite a bit of $ that he would not even officially reply. T_T

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.