Justify your best episode

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Justify your best episode

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Just a thought to make things more interesting.

There’s been several posts where people give lists of their favourite episodes. That’s nice but its boring.

So here’s my suggestion. Name your favourite, or one of your favourite episodes.

But you’ve got to explain why its your favourite episode. Was it a particular moment in it? A particular image? Plot?
    Acting? Was it what you were watching the first time you got felt up? Was it what was on when you got the call your mother in law had died in a tragic hamster accident and left everything to you in her will? What exactly makes this episode special to you…

Example…

For me its Lyekka and the surrealism that suffuses the entire episode. There’s no plot, or practically nothing that makes sense. But there’s a kind of irrational dream logic that runs through it, and every scene is suffused with this dreamlike quality, even the scenes with the astronauts. Lyekka and then the astronauts appearances, her lack of interest in Kai,
    Kai’s dispassionate observation, Lyekka’s drinking from the shower, and her devouring of the astronauts culminating in the field of heads are a series of extraordinary images that eschew plot and narrative structure in favour of a journey into subconscious realms. It’s Lexx does Louis
    Bunuel.

Anonymous

One of my favourite episodes is “The Rock”.

It seems a more expansive and natural episode than many of the others. I know it probably a filler but it shows the tender and affection which exists between the crew and has just the right amount of humour and plot to keep you interested. The scene where Xev and Brud are aboard the Lexx and hes feeding her all the “come hither” lines and shes giggling when hes playing with his Organ (oo-er missus) is excellent. Some fine acting and a very warm episode. Not quick as warm as Newfoundland at the end of the episode though….

dgrequeen
    Participant

My favorite episode (today, anyway) was K-Town, for a lot of different reasons. I was puzzled at first by the behavior of the denizens of the town. Eventually I came to see it as a kind of lunatic asylum, where those who were relentlessly contrary and contentious in their former lives were sent to argue and throw rocks at once another. There was no rationale for their behavior, because they didn’t need one. And that was sort of Mantrid’s M.O. He wanted to destroy the universe, and he had no sane reason for wanting to do so. Yet he redeemed himself in a way, because when he reversed Kai’s control rods, he must have known Kai might kill him. It was his way to escape, and that’s a perfectly rational thing to do under extreme duress.

It was also the episode with that touching scene between Stan and Xev, when he tells her that she’s “really okay”. He recognizes her disdain for him, but at the same time he realizes he feels affection for her, and she obviously must feel some for him too, since she’s massaging his back, and hugs him and gives him the little peck on the cheek. It’s the beginnings of what Stan said later about them being family.

It also showed growth in Xev’s personality. She was actually able to be affectionate with Stanley without associating it with either sexual desire or repugnance. A lot of people diss Season 3, but I thought the characters of Xev and Stan gained a heck of a lot of development in that season.

I also liked the scene where Kai falls down in the hole with them, but not for the usual reasons. For the first time I saw him as two characters in one. He denies that he can feel pain, and yet on his face, he’s clearly registering pain. It’s almost as if he feels it, but doesn’t *know* he’s feeling it. There’s an external, dead Kai who feels nothing, and there’s an internal, buried Kai who does, almost as if the two personas are unaware of each other. It gives the character more complexity than you would normally associate with a corpse (sort of reminds me now of those conversations between the mortician and the corpses he’s preparing for burial in “Six Feet Under”). But it’s a portrayal that could also explain a lot of living people.

Visually, I found the Planet Fire fascinating and beautiful (but then, I’m a desert girl at heart). When they push Kai off the building, he falls to the ground, then stands up and rolls down the sand dune — it’s basically silent (except for the whistling sound he makes as he falls, and the thump at the end). That scene, and the scene near the end when Xev and Stan are sitting, waiting for Kai to come back to them and they spot a balloon going by, made me feel the overwhelming silence and summer heat of the planet. The way those scenes were done evoked a memory of summer in me, I suppose. And I think a lot of it was because the scenes were so quiet, so low-key, even though there was much drama at the heart of it: will Kai be repaired, will he come back and rescue us from this hell?

Anyhow, that’s my take on it, and I’m sticking to it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.