Kai’s brace in 3.10

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Kai’s brace in 3.10

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Kai says that his brace is not functioning correctly then in “Girltown” it works pefectly and enables him to get to the top of the city and save the day!
    Can anyone fill me in?

——————
    “Prick your finger it is done. The moon has now eclipsed the sun. The angel has spread it’s wings, the time has come for better things…”

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Mercury:
    Kai says that his brace is not functioning correctly then in “Girltown” it works pefectly and enables him to get to the top of the city and save the day!
    Can anyone fill me in?

There was a discussion about this quite a while ago on the Bored, I believe. One explanation that was tossed around is that while Kai lacks any depth of human emotion, he does have a conscience, and has never directly killed of a living human (post-assassin phase, mind you) while he has been of “sound mind.” The WTD Kids were killed while he was nuts, Wist was not a human (don’t know what the Sam Hill she was, really…she was pretty big, though), and others have died because he has done things like shoved them off of high places or shot their baloons down (in this case, it wasn’t Kai that caused their deaths, it was the fall or impact of the fall that killed them). He didn’t kill the Dark Lady when he had the chance to, and was directly ordered to do so. He killed Stan by accident (he wasn’t awakened properly, and wasn’t of sound mind). While this notion is pretty full of holes, hey, it’s LEXX, it ain’t gonna be perfect.

–Aleck (over-simplifying things, to be sure)

Anonymous

aleck darling, you’re making me think of the three big lies; the check is in the mail, i promise i’ll pull out in time, and i’m from the government and i’m here to help…kai does still kill but according to his own code and necessity…he also does not lie..exactly…but he does omit certain salient points (review xev/prince attempted seduction) he also knows more than the rest of our motley crew when something is not right and reacts accordingly until he feels he has adequate knowledge for decisive action…but soometimes a cigar is just a cigar said freud to virginia so maybe the brace thing is a glitch or maybe it is kai being cagy to avoid an action he does not feel is justified…anyway it’s fun to wonder seen any good cronenberg lately…what’s he DOING anyway?

Bascule
    Participant

I think what Kai-lie meant when he said the brace wasn’t functioning properly was that its range had been greatly reduced. Think about when he zipped up those towers on Fire or down the central tower in episode 1.(not to be confused with Episode One) The balloon he flicked across to, then grabbed Stan from, wasn’t that far away compared to those. By the time Stan told him to grab the love slave, she’d drifted slightly too far away for him to get her.

Anonymous

Oh dear. Here we are treading on mushy ground. I remember hearing MM say that his brace rarely comes out (Ung- whattah line)
    because it’s shy. Then he made references to it being a lost insect-technology. What if the scorpion was a live/dead creature too?
    Nasty thought.

——————
    “We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars…” Oscar Wilde

Bascule
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rust:
    Oh dear. Here we are treading on mushy ground. I remember hearing MM say that his brace rarely comes out (Ung- whattah line)
    because it’s shy. Then he made references to it being a lost insect-technology. What if the scorpion was a live/dead creature too?
    Nasty thought.

Aye. Although it fell out a couple of times and just laid there, didn’t it? Perhaps it was so overcome with shyness it became paralysed.

What I wanna know is, how come in the first movie Kylie could fire the brace without the rope, but it’d still come flying back to him? It was cool, he should do it more. And in Web/Net he fired it like a bullet and had to retrieve it manually. That was cool too.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Bascule:
    [how come in the first movie Kylie could fire the brace without the rope, but it’d still come flying back to him? And in Web/Net he fired it like a bullet and had to retrieve it manually. That was cool too.[/B]

versatile little thingy isn’t it (fx slinks back into the dark reaches of the gutter)

Anonymous

Kai’s brace is probably the most useful thing in the world ever! It has the power to cut someones haed off (Wist for instance) but can be adjusted to grab onto someone and NOT cut (Kai’s head in “Eating pattern”, Stan in 3.10 etc). And it’s rope attachment has incredible range. In “supernova”, Kai picked up 790 from where he fell off the bridge. How far down would it have to reach!!!???

——————
    “Prick your finger it is done. The moon has now eclipsed the sun. The angel has spread it’s wings, the time has come for better things…”

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Mercury:
    Kai’s brace is probably the most useful thing in the world ever!

how about when he pins the petty bureaucrat’s head to get them to throw him off the wall? what i like about it is that it is integrated into his forearm muscles, sort of an extension of his hand if you will so that it is part machine and part organic, if you recall xev and stan grabbed his arm and squeezed to keep kai from going off in k-town…yeah, i would dearly love to have one of those

Anonymous

Hey me too! I want one, even if it is only the prop. In the “Making of 3” MM shoots it off somewhere in the set of the Lexx. It actually does fly! Funny part was, he ducked and cringed, then got up, as the brace fell with a *clunk* several feet behind him and said, “Did I miss?”

——————

Anonymous
    Inactive

I remember reading something about how the physical brace works.. and how dangerous the thing is. I’ll have dig around for it if you like.

Anonymous

Yes, yes, Cat, please do!

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Rust:
    Yes, yes, Cat, please do!

ducked and cringed and asked if he missed? and didn’t he hit somebody with the volleyball on gametown…i love a man who is even worse with projectiles than i am (i got excused from college physics lab after the teaching assistants realized i was dangerous to them and the rest of the little dweebs on the trajectory experiments! one of my finer moments )

Anonymous

Another tidbit for you all, from the “Making of 3”, MM’s comments on his brace. Please excuse any run-on sentences..it’s rather hard to understand the pauses in Canadian speech, being American…(and a zoning drooler when it comes to this guy)…

“The Brunnen culture came to the Light Universe and conquered the Insect civilization, and then they proceeded to domesticate the Insects; so they did what’s natural in the Light Universe. They domesticated the Insects for technological purposes. Things like Kai’s weapon presumably came from that same adaptation of Insects.”
    *Cut to MM holding the brace arm portion of his costume, clutching it very tightly*
    (Playful smile)(speaking of his brace)
    “(It’s) very sensitive about closeups and appearances and interviews and stuff like that.”
    (His smile falters a bit and he looks more serious)
    “It likes to be cushioned, inside the insulation of the drama….”

Auggggghhh!!!!! :::::::THUD::::::

——————

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.