Kai’s Clothes

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    sgtdraino
    Participant

Here’s a question I’ve been meaning to pose for some time:

Do you guys think that dead Kai’s clothes are the actual clothes he was killed in, corrupted, darkened, and faded over time?

Or do you think the dark clothing was something done by the Divine Order, as a mockery of the Brunnen-G?

Anonymous

I’ve assumed;
    Its decarbonized stuff he was wearing, sans jewels. Or at the very least just symbolic of what he has become from what he was.

Anonymous

Yes, I’ve always thought that Kai’s clothing was the Divine Order’s cynical parody of the life loving Brunnen-G. It’s nearly identical with the exception of color and as LexxLurker said, the jewels.

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Enox ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

The fabric patterns aren’t quite the same. Look at a before and after picture and it’s really clear that they can’t be the same clothes. They do look similar, though, besides the after one being darked and minus the fried egg thing (some of the jewels are still there, thouth).

Anonymous

They do look like his original clothes, and I couldn’t see the Divine Order going to the bother of redressing him, knowing that he’s dead, they probably assumed he’s not going to be too concerned over what he’s wearing.
    And what we saw from Vlad, gave the indication that there was not a set uniform for assassins.
    Kai’s clothes probably are the same, just all the colour has vanished from him not sticking them in the wash, they should have disintegrated over time, but then his hair still remains even though he has not washed it for several thousand years (must try that!!!).
    Maybe the nanites assume that his clothing is part of him and regenerate it…who knows?
    Squishy

Anonymous

In Twilight, doesn’t the High Governor say Kai is wearing the uniform of a Divine Assassin?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by :
    In Twilight, doesn’t the High Governor say Kai is wearing the uniform of a Divine Assassin?

I was just about to say this, have we ever seen any more assassins?

Anonymous

No other Divine Assassins are ever shown up close if at all. You could argue that yes more are show in “I worship his Shadow” but you dont see them close enough in the mortuarary to tell.

Yes the governer in Twilight says the above but if thats true then it would suggest that perhaps Kai was the first Assassin and all others were modeled after him due to remarkable similiarity between Kais living clothes and his dead ones.

[ 13-03-2002: Message edited by: LexxLurker ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

I suspect the typical protocol for the creation of Divine assassins is to give them a uniform based on the clothing of their culture dyed black. Roada probably recognized Kai as a Divine assissin because his clothing was completely black. The “uniform” could be about anything, just what distinguishes it is that it is all black.

Anonymous

The “uniform” could be about anything, just what distinguishes it is that it is all black.

Yeah, but there have got to be other people in the Cluster who walked around in black, right?

And what we saw from Vlad, gave the indication that there was not a set uniform for assassins.

Vlad wasn’t an assassain, she was an executioner, so maybe they have different uniforms.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    I suspect the typical protocol for the creation of Divine assassins is to give them a uniform based on the clothing of their culture dyed black. Roada probably recognized Kai as a Divine assissin because his clothing was completely black. The “uniform” could be about anything, just what distinguishes it is that it is all black.

When you see closeups of the uniform with good lighting, you can tell that it is not all black but faded colors. I’m with Lexx Lurker, I think it’s the clothes he died in, decarbonized. Roada’s statement is just your run-of-the-mill Lexx inconsistency.
    There’s better pix around, but this one’s not too large at least.

Didn’t one of the beans say somewhere that it’s made of unobtainium?

elmey

null

[ 16-03-2002: Message edited by: elmey ]

Anonymous

Yes, I agree that Kai’s clothes are his orginal Brunnen clothes, but modified. There are some great shots of them in Supernova, where you can clearly see the muted colors. It’s quite beautiful, really.

And I figure the nanites/protoblood must recognize Kai’s clothes and hair, since they seem to repair themselves as well, just like his flesh does. When he was sawed in half in Supernova, his clothes mended without any problem. And at the end of Wake the Dead, his hair is perfect. But then again, this *is* Lexx! I think Rouda’s remark was just an inconsistency, although it’s hard to judge since as has been pointed out, we haven’t really seen any other Divine Assassins.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Elmey:
    When you see closeups of the uniform with good lighting, you can tell that it is not all black but faded colors. I’m with Lexx Lurker, I think it’s the clothes he died in, decarbonized.

I’d noticed that. If you just do a side-by-side comparison of the common Kai and the retro Kai in I Worship His Shadow, Super Nova, or Brigadoom it’s quite clear that they can’t be the same clothes.

Anonymous

quote:

If you just do a side-by-side comparison of the common Kai and the retro Kai in I Worship His Shadow, Super Nova, or Brigadoom it’s quite clear that they can’t be the same clothes.

I can see where you’re going, but you’re probably being a bit too literal about this. I wasn’t going to get all that serious about this subject, but the clothes are an extremely effective visual metaphor and by thinking of them only as an assassin’s uniform you’re taking away from the power of that metaphor.

Of course they’re actually two different costumes. The differences in pattern could be there for any number of reasons–different fabric textures weave together more or less easily, the way certain colors photograph, the whim of the costumers, whatever. I don’t believe anyone expected viewers to make a side by side comparison.

The reason I believe we’re meant to think of it as the same clothes is because that idea has the most meaning in terms of the story. Your first view of Kai is of this glorious technicolor creature, he crashes into the Foreshadow and you see his life being sucked out of him. Half an hour later, you see one of the crypts in the catacomb opening and there is the same beautiful creature, but without color, without life. And it takes a few seconds to realize that he’s still in his original clothes, but a degraded form of them: jewels torn off and colors blackened with age or tarnish, whatever. It actually produces a jolt and helps bring home visually the degradation of his being. And it does so in cinematic terms, no verbiage (like mine) necessary. I actually got the same kind of jolt again in Brigadoom when the clerics carry dead Kai out at the end, and he’s once again in black.

Don’t get me wrong, speculating on the other assassins is fun–but let’s face it, we’ll never know. I just think what they actually did works great on both an intellectual and emotional level.

elmey (who will write about anything except the proposal she’s supposed to be working on! )

[ 17-03-2002: Message edited by: elmey ]

Headgehog
    Participant

This was brought up at last years uncon, and answered by one of the beinf the scenes people (sorry can’t remember his name) When they designed the black outfit, it was meant ot be the faded and decaying clothes that he died in.
    I brought up the Twilight point, but he said it was just another LEXX inconsistancy.

Anonymous

quote:

I always took Roada’s comment to mean he recognized the ancient turned-to-black clothing (of no one style), the pale dead-looking skin and the brace housing as being the dress of a Divine Assassin. Of course, I’m assuming all Assassins had a brace.

Anonymous

Woo MM brings up a great point Ive always wondered about. Do all Divine Assassins have the same brace/weapon?

There’s no way to be sure but after seeing Vlad(the character) I have to think they must of all had braces, maybe just the shape is different. Vlads impaler was pretty cool but Id take Kai’s “Handy Wrist Gadget” over it

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    Woo MM brings up a great point Ive always wondered about. Do all Divine Assassins have the same brace/weapon?

I doubt it. Kai’s brace is based on a scorpion, which is one of the symbols of the Brunnen-G. And when fired it makes the sound of a hawk, another symbol of the Brunnen-G. The apparel of Divine assassins appears to reflect the ethnic group of the specimen. Assassins from other planets would have different blackened clothing, different hairsyles, and different braces.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.