Lexx actors in other roles

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Lexx actors in other roles

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    DalekTek790
    Participant

The following is a list of Lexx guest stars who have also appeared in other notable television shows and films. If you notice anyone I’ve missed, post a response.

Canadian comedian Wayne Robson, who played Gubby Marx in Patches in the Sky, is famous for his portrayal of former criminal Mike Hamar on The Red Green Show and the feature film Duct Tape Forever.

Ralph Brown, who played Duke in Gondola, is best known for his portrayal of Naboo space captain Ric Olié in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. He was also Aaron in Alien 3 and Del in Wayne’s World 2.

Chris Owens, who had the cameo role as Biff the astronaut in Texx Lexx, has played 3 roles on The X-Files. Under heavy makeup he was The Great Mutato in The Post-Modern Prometheus; he was the young C. G. B. Spender (the Cigarette-Smoking Man) in the flashback scenes in Apocrypha, Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man, and Demons; and he was given the recurring role of Special Agent Jeffrey Spender for the fifth and sixth seasons.

Stephen McHattie, the Red-Haired Man on The X-Files, played Captain E. J. Moss in Lyekka, and has returned of late to portray a character similar to his X-Files identity.

David Lewis, who played Fruitcake in the same episode, was Vosberg, the technician in the memorable intro to the X-Files episode Firewalker. He was also an F.B.I. agent in the episodes The Jersey Devil and Oubliette and the Millennium episode Collateral Damage.

British comedian Craig Charles is familiar to sci-fi fans as Dave Lister on Red Dwarf, he gues-starred as the warden in P4X.

Hattie Hayridge, who played the computer Hilly in the Red Dwarf episode Parallel Universe and replaced Norman Lovett as Holly for seasons 3 through 5, also appeared in P4X as the warden’s wife and Lomia’s mother. Her husbands remark about her being from a parallel universe may be a reference to Hilly.

Lenore Zann, the Dark Lady in Woz, has lent her voice to a number of animated shows and movies, most notably X-Men (she was Rogue). She also played J. J. in Paul Donovan’s film Def-Con 4.

Jeff Pustil, who has played Schlemmi, Fifi, and Farley Cuckle, was also in Def-Con 4, as Lacie.

Maury Chaykin, who played Pa in White Trash, was Vinny in Def-Con 4.

Argon Protopl in I Worship His Shadow and the D.J. in The End of the Universe were both played by Alan MacGillivray, who was Boomer in Def-Con 4.

Before 790 was decapitated, he was played by Michael Petersen. He also played a Cluster drone in The Giga Shadow and operated the Cluster lizard that ate our favorite robot’s body. Michael Petersen is a puppeteer whose credits include the Henson/Froud productions Labyrinth (he operated several Goblins), and Fraggle Rock (Fergus and Pedley).

The Andrew Smith who played a cleric in I Worship His Shadow is the same Andrew Smith who wrote the script to Full Circle, the episode of Doctor Who that introduced the character of Adric. He reappeared as a customer on the Luvliner and an Eco-Tourist scoping out the luminescent Paraguayan toucans in Little Blue Planet (who was apparently a reincarnation of the cleric, since the guide is another actor who previously portrayed a Divine Cleric).

Nigel Bennett, Prince, has lent his visage to the historical figures of General Horatio Gates in The Crossing and Winfield Scott in The war of 1812. He also played Ásgard in Legends of the Fall. And if I don’t mention that he was one of Rooker’s henchmen in Darkman III I know the Raimites on this board will jump all over me.

Rutger Hauer, who played Bog in Eating Pattern, has an extensive sci-fi history. Notable characters he’s played include Frank Warren in WedLok, Dr. Marlowe in Bleeders and Dr. Wakeman in Mr. Stitch (a Sci-Fi Channel original movie which he also produced).

The Divine Cleric Yottskry in The Giga Shadow was played by Malcolm McDowell, recognizable as the crazed El-Aurian Dr. Soran in Star Trek: Generations. He also played Alex DeLarge in the 1971 film of Anthony Burgess’ A Clockwork Orange.

Before playing the Poet Man in Super Nova, Tim Curry was Dr. Petrov in The Hunt for the Red October and Farley Claymore in The Shadow. Mr. Curry has a long horror career, usually playing the villain. He parodied this image in 2001’s Scary Movie 2 as Prof. Oldman.

Jim Fowler, who played Rooster in Texx Lexx (and is rumored to have made an uncredited appearance on Vermal in White Trash), is a famous naturalist, who was one of the hosts of the 60s documentary series Wild Kingdom, and appeared as himself in the 1994 family film Running Free and the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer finds the set to The Merv Griffin Show.

Before playing Mantrid, Dieter Laser was Ludwig von Bayern in the German docudrama Kaspar Hauser.

You can spot Minna Aaltonen, who played Vlad, as a news readerin the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies.

If you want a filmography for Michael McManus, just ask any female member of this board.

[ 21-02-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

bonnee
    Participant

A great list Lee, although I would want to insist that Maury Chaykin should be more noted for his work with Atom Egoyan than Paul Donovan. Both he and MM have worked with one of Canada’s great directors in so called art films – Speaking Parts (MM of course), The Adjustor and Sweet Hereafter(MC). Its hard to believe, for example, that the actor who played Pa and Vinnie could be so great and unsettling in the Adjustor: one of the few Egoyan films where you mostly feel troubled by the performance of the actor. (Egoyan also wanted him for Exotica, but he was unavailable at the time). He steals the Adjustor, and towers over everyone else on this list in an already remarkable and disquieting film (excepting Hauer in Bladerunner, perhaps).

THE ADJUSTER

“The Adjuster was one of my favourite film experiences. (Director Atom Egoyan) and I had such a wonderful collaboration with that character. One of the amazing things about Atom is that he inhabits his characters. He also lives inside of them the way an actor would so that when he speaks to you about the character, whispers something, it’s almost as if his voice is inside of you as the character as opposed to less-inspired directors who whisper things that completely throw you off right before you do the take.

“One of my favourite scenes that I’ve ever done on camera is in that film. The character I’m playing poses as a (film) locations manager and he’s taking pictures (in the main characters’ home) and they want to know what the film is about, so he sits down and tries to be extremely cordial and polite but he’s actually someone who’s planning his own suicide and the demise of his sister.

“It’s very much my sensibility.”

LEXX: THE SERIES

Chaykin played a cannibalistic, oversexed hillbilly called Pa and his sadistic twin called Daddy. “Ironically, I found that Susannah was pregnant and I was going to be a pa (of a now toddler daughter, Rose) right when I was doing that show.”

The Halifax-made show’s cartoonish characters and excessive sexual innuendo make it pretty silly. Having grown accustomed to seeing him in quality, independent films and strong supporting roles in Hollywood movies, I tell Chaykin I was surprised he bothered to appear in it, especially as such an over-the-top character.

“I don’t have any dignity. It’s too much to hold dignity. …. You know we’re not always dignified. I think that as an actor and as a person … I’m happy that I did it and I had fun doing it. … If I can have fun doing something, that’s more important than preserving the dignity that I feel Maury Chaykin should always have with his roles. I think in fact that dignity is not something that serves an actor. There are actors that I watch and they are always very dignified and they always play dignified roles and they always keep their cool and I don’t find that particularly interesting.”

Paul Donovan, the executive producer, “is an old friend of mine from Halifax who I started doing independent films in the early `80s with in Nova Scotia, which is how I was introduced to Nova Scotia, that beautiful province.

“The role got me to Nova Scotia. It has nostalgic value for me to go back and work with Paul and work in Halifax and to work on something light, silly.”

[ 21-02-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:
    A great list Lee, although I would want to insist that Maury Chaykin should be more noted for his work with Atom Egoyan than Paul Donovan.

I’d argue that even *that* is too limiting. Maury Chaykin is one of the best character actors working, and has consistently done stellar work in a number of films and TV programs. WarGames, Devil in a Blue Dress, Mouse Hunt, The Sweet Hereafter, Love and Death on Long Island, Mystery Alaska, Dances With Wolves, Oz, and his recurring star role in A Nero Wolfe Mystery have all contained memorable perfs from Chaykin (even when the films themselves have fallen short of expectations). He’s just a terrific actor.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

I’d agree with you entirely Aleck – I edited my post to include his work on Sweet Hereafter prior to your reference to it, but I’m not so sure he’s as great there (or anywhere else)as he was in the Adjustor. I wouldn’t want to say he was great in Lexx though As for referring to his generally stellar work elsewhere, yes – definitely. I don’t recall seeing him in HBO’s Oz though. Is this the current (5th) season? (yet to be screened downunder) Does he last for more than one episode or does he become a regular?

Anonymous

Here are some details you missed, DT.

Barry Bostwick, Thodin in I Worship His Shadow, is an accomplished stage actor (he originated the role of Danny Zuko in the musical Grease) and veteran of numerous film and TV projects. Best-known today for his role as the mayor of NYC in Spin City, he’s portrayed the first president of the US in two George Washington mini-series (which, along with his roles in such mini-series as Scruples and A Woman of Substance, cemented his title of “King of the Mini-Series”), narrated Fantastic Planet, and is perhaps best-known for his role as Brad Majors in the perennial midnight-movie hit The Rocky Horror Picture Show, where he co-starred with Tim Curry (in the role of Frank N. Furter), later to portray Poet Man in Super Nova.

Ralph Brown, who portrayed Duke in Season 3, has had a number of notable supporting roles. Included are Withnail and I (as Danny), Buster (as Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs), Alien3 (as Aaron), Wayne’s World 2 (as the world’s greatest roadie, Del Preston) and Star Wars: Episode 1 — The Phantom Menace (as Ric Olie).

In addition to the credits you listed for Nigel Bennett, you’d be remiss in failing to mention his role as Lucien LaCroix in Forever Knight, for which he won a Gemini Award.

You ignore some of Rutger Hauer’s most notable work in your bio, including Blade Runner, Ladyhawke, Nighthawks, The Hitcher and Fatherland, for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe.

Malcolm McDowell’s career extends far past Star Trek, LEXX or A Clockwork Orange. He is also known for his recurring role of Mick Travis in Lindsay Anderson’s celebrated loose trilogy of films, If…, O Lucky Man! and Britannia Hospital. He portrays the titular mad Roman emperor in the notorious film Caligula, starred in Look Back in Anger, and has had supporting roles in too many films to list here.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

I don’t recall seeing him in HBO’s Oz though. Is this the current (5th) season? (yet to be screened downunder) Does he last for more than one episode or does he become a regular?

He has a small role in the second season. I remember seeing him in retrospect, after having looked up his resume, but don’t remember how recurring his character was.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Forgot to address this…

quote:

I’m not so sure he’s as great there (or anywhere else)as he was in the Adjustor.

Agreed, but that was an exceptional role, one that only comes along so often, and was tailor-made for Chaykin’s talents. Any actor would be lucky to have a role like that *once* in a career.

I wouldn’t want to say he was great in Lexx though

Oh, I’d say he was pretty great. It’s obvious that he’s enjoying himself tremendously with this rare chance to go as over-the-top as he’d like. To me, his fun in the role is infectious, and I always find both of his roles in this a joy to watch.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

thanks Aleck, although I suspect that this might be a mistake I’ve (just)encountered on the Net, and has somehow found its way into SOME filmographies. Your recollection might be a retrospective false memory accordingly – he is supposed to have played Head Biker as a recurring role, but this is the role played by Evan Seinfeld of Biohazzard fame who is later given a more rounded role as Hoyt. I’ve also checked hbo’s Oz site and his name does not appear in its exhaustive roll call of guest and regular cast members – nor does it feature in any of the episodes in epguides.com usually meticulous cast details. I also do not recall him from the show at all – and would expect to have recognised him in either a role or resulting credits (like you, I note these things carefully). my suspicion, then, is that this is simply a mistake that we wouldn’t also want to re/produce on the Net – but I could be wrong (as well as an annoying pedant).

Anonymous

quote:

thanks Aleck, although I suspect that this might be a mistake I’ve (just)encountered on the Net, and has somehow found its way into SOME filmographies. Your recollection might be a retrospective false memory accordingly – he is supposed to have played Head Biker as a recurring role, but this is the role played by Evan Seinfeld of Biohazzard fame who is later given a more rounded role as Hoyt.

I do believe you’re right. False remembrance. I could’ve sworn that I remembered Chaykin in that role, and saw him clearly in my head when I flashed on that credit, but it’s been a long while since I’ve seen any of that season’s episodes (or, in fact, *any* episodes of Oz). I just remembered being impressed by who I thought was Chaykin.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

Sorry to hear you no longer watch Oz, although I understand if the second season might have deterred you (if it looked misconceived out, it was – Fontana didn’t expect another season, and admits to being caught off guard by Hbo’s desire for more episodes. the third and fourth seasons were much better, although Oz is hardly a patch on Fontana’s other series Homicide: Life on the Street, which – as I’m sure you know – inspired it via its Prison Riot episode).

As for our little exchange regarding Maury Chaykin – I expect that the resulting agreement would be an example of what you might call the result of its descriptive features, and our ‘disagreement’ about his performance a subjective evaluation. I stil would like to describe his perfomance as one that would open up a New York delicatesson

but I won’t start that conversation again – and apologise for letting it get out of hand in the first place.

Anonymous

quote:

Sorry to hear you no longer watch Oz, although I understand if the second season might have deterred you.

It’s not that I haven’t wanted to — I lost track of it near the middle of Season 3 when my work schedule changed (and I kept forgetting to tape it), and then I moved, and I just haven’t been able to get back in the swing of things and pick it up again. I did enjoy the second season a bit, and thought what I saw of the third was a very definite improvement on it, though.

As for our little exchange regarding Maury Chaykin – I expect that the resulting agreement would be an example of what you might call the result of its descriptive features, and our ‘disagreement’ about his performance a subjective evaluation. I stil would like to describe his perfomance as one that would open up a New York delicatesson

I’m not arguing that. It’s ham through and through, all right, but it’s *very good* ham. It’s like my love of Vincent Price; as an actor, he was actually very, very good. He could be subtle, nuanced, and multilayered when the part called for it (The Whales of August, for example), but there are times when he’d let loose with a full-blown over-the-top performance, chewing on every bit of available scenery, and it would seem like he was just having the time of his life (Roger Corman’s The Raven, for another example), and it was just immensely fun to watch (and still is). It’s that kind of fun I get from watching Chaykin’s perf in “White Trash.”

but I won’t start that conversation again – and apologise for letting it get out of hand in the first place.

Ditto here.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Don’t forget Jeff Pustil. I just saw him in a small role as a juror in a movie called “Dirty Pictures” with James Woods. I thought that was kind of cool.

-SM

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    …The Divine Cleric Yottskry in The Giga Shadow was played by Malcolm McDowell, recognizable as the crazed El-Aurian Dr. Soran in Star Trek: Generations. He also played Alex DeLarge in the 1971 film of Anthony Burgess’ A Clockwork Orange.

I think his best (and for me most famous role) was as the lead in the film ‘Caligula’ with Peter O’Toole and Helen Miren and John Guilgood. (erm.. I think someone mentioned Caligula above).

quote:

…Before playing the Poet Man in Super Nova, Tim Curry was Dr. Petrov in The Hunt for the Red October and Farley Claymore in The Shadow. Mr. Curry has a long sci-fi career, usually playing the villain. He parodied this image in 2001’s Scary Movie 2 as Prof. Oldman.

As Aleck pointed out, he was in The Rocky Horror Picture Show. But surely that was his most memorable role?

Great work by the way Dalek! Until you had mentioned it, I hadn’t considered the significance of the ‘Parallel Universe’ comment in P4X.

[ 21-02-2002: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Bonnee:
    A great list Lee, although I would want to insist that Maury Chaykin should be more noted for his work with Atom Egoyan than Paul Donovan. Both he and MM have worked with one of Canada’s great directors in so called art films – Speaking Parts (MM of course), The Adjustor and Sweet Hereafter(MC). Its hard to believe, for example, that the actor who played Pa and Vinnie could be so great and unsettling in the Adjustor: one of the few Egoyan films where you mostly feel troubled by the performance of the actor. (Egoyan also wanted him for Exotica, but he was unavailable at the time). He steals the Adjustor, and towers over everyone else on this list in an already remarkable and disquieting film (excepting Hauer in Bladerunner, perhaps).

The list was compiled from things either i had seen or were popular or famous. I didn’t consider The Adjustor notable because it is not well known in the United States, whereas Def-Con 4 has a significant cult following. I wouldn’t think that or Blade Runner qualify as remarkable films, since very few people have seen Blade Runner and I think significantly fewer enjoyed it.

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    Here are some details you missed, DT.

Barry Bostwick, Thodin in I Worship His Shadow, is an accomplished stage actor (he originated the role of Danny Zuko in the musical Grease) and veteran of numerous film and TV projects. Best-known today for his role as the mayor of NYC in Spin City, he’s portrayed the first president of the US in two George Washington mini-series (which, along with his roles in such mini-series as Scruples and A Woman of Substance, cemented his title of “King of the Mini-Series”), narrated Fantastic Planet, and is perhaps best-known for his role as Brad Majors in the perennial midnight-movie hit The Rocky Horror Picture Show, where he co-starred with Tim Curry (in the role of Frank N. Furter), later to portray Poet Man in Super Nova.

Like I said, Tim Curry has a been in a lot of horror, and I didn’t feel like listing every B-grade cult film he was in. The same goes for Rutger Hauer.

quote:

Ralph Brown, who portrayed Duke in Season 3, has had a number of notable supporting roles. Included are Withnail and I (as Danny), Buster (as Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs), Alien3 (as Aaron), Wayne’s World 2 (as the world’s greatest roadie, Del Preston) and Star Wars: Episode 1 — The Phantom Menace (as Ric Olie).

I am really surprised I missed Ric Olié. I just never made the connection. For some peculiar reason, the Star Wars Insider article on Ralph Brown neglected to mention his work on Lexx, even though I believe the third season was filmed before that was published. By the way, rumor has it that Ralph Brown will be returning for Star Wars: Episode III, though unfortunately it seems he won’t be appearing in the fourth season of Lexx.

Most importantly, (with the help of Aleck) I’ve been able to connect Lexx with all 3 members of the Holy Sci-Fi Trinity (Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who). Plus the original 790 operated a number of puppets designed by Brian Froud! Okay, that’s not exactly something anyone’s going to recognize him in.

The first person I saw on Lexx that I recognized was Wayne Robson. He’s almost certainly the most notable T.V. personality to guest star on Lexx, considering the immense popularity of Red Green in both Canada and the U.S. Actually, when I saw Nook for the first time, I thought I recognized 790’s voice as that of Nick Bakay (the voice of Salem the cat on Sabrina), but a look at the credits discredited that identification. And I recognized the government agent in Prime Ridge as one of the shadowy figures on The X-Files, I just had to look in “Trust No One” to recall which.

Just one final note: Fruitcake running around in a uniform with a gun is a humorous image.

Anonymous

Right now there is a Pepsi commercial running with Barry Bostwick in it…. at the end he says, “I’m Barry Bostwick” and the other actor says “Barry Bostwick?? Who is Barry Bostwick??” (The guy obviously is not a Lexxian).

bonnee
    Participant

The list was compiled from things either i had seen or were popular or famous. I didn’t consider The Adjustor notable because it is not well known in the United States, whereas Def-Con 4 has a significant cult following. I wouldn’t think that or Blade Runner qualify as remarkable films, since very few people have seen Blade Runner and I think significantly fewer enjoyed it.
    ——————————————–
    I have to assume that you are joking Lee about what constitutes a remarkable film (peer consent, widest possible recognition, etc).: Egoyan has a huge cult following within film circles and cultural study departments across the world – Adjustor is often celebrated as a definitive film, and helped herald ‘special issue’ dedications in journals. As for Rutger – LMAO. Bladerunner and the Hitcher are justly celebrated films, and enjoy followings that Lexx can only hope to emulate in its wildest dreams. I was saddened by his presence in Eating Pattern, an indication of a wonderful career in marked decline. Bladerunner – for the record – was recently voted the no 4 film in the top 100 films ever made by Time Out readers. its “readers wrote to us from all parts of the world, including the Uk, Canada, United States, Irelsand, denmark, Spain, France, Italy, Norway, Honk Kong..”, etc. Time Out sperately polled “an international host of directors, producers, actors, programmers and critics”, and the film came in at number 60. Bladerunner is – by common consent – one of the few film “masterpieces” that sci can claim to have produced, and Hauer’s performance is amongst the finest to grace genre cimema in over one hundred years of film making. His Hitcher is also note worthy amongst people who are presumably older than you or your circle of friends (no insult intended).

Anonymous

quote:

What???? DT, get out of whatever box it is you hide in. You say that “few people have seen Blade Runner, and I think significantly fewer enjoyed it”, yet you claim that Def-Con 4 has a sizable following? For all its technical inaccuracies inasmuch as credits are concerned, the Internet Movie Database is a fairly decent representation of a a cross-section of the movie-going public, and Blade Runner has an 8.3 (out of 10) user rating, and has been voted on 40,315 times. It ranks about #68 in the top 250 movies of all time, according to their calculations. Def-Con 4 has been voted on a mere 187 times (which should indicate how many people know it exists, compared to the roughly 200 times as many who know about and have voted for Blade Runner), and has a user rating of 3.6 out of 10. Blade Runner is one of the most critically successful science fiction films ever made, while Def-Con 4 languishes in obscurity. Just because *you* don’t personally like something doesn’t mean that nobody *else* does, as much as you seem to think that everyone should share your opinions and views on everything.

Like I said, Tim Curry has a been in a lot of horror, and I didn’t feel like listing every B-grade cult film he was in. The same goes for Rutger Hauer.

So, for Tim Curry, you listed a fairly insignificant role in a failed movie like The Shadow, instead of listing what is perhaps the most significant role of his career. In a film that plays theatrically practically every weekend in practically every major metropolitan area, and in multiple theatres in the larger metro areas. A film that has done this since, roughly, 1980. Makes perfect sense. Like listing that barn-busting, earth-shaking success Mr. Stitch rather than Blade Runner for Rutger Hauer. Uh-huh. Glad to see you’re weeding out the lesser titles.

Do you know *anything* about film, or are you just making this up as you go along? For someone who allegedly requires hard proof before he believes *anything*, you certainly seem to have no problems inventing things out of whole cloth…such as the rabid cults you claim exist for films that only you and about 10 other people actually like, while claiming that more popular and/or well-respected films that you don’t happen to like (or agree with on a moral basis) are obscure and/or widely scorned.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

LOL Aleck

He’s obviously young and insular – we shouldn’t pull rank so instinctively: live and learn (from elder statesmen like ourselves)

So how many times did you vote for Blade Runner on the IMDB? I can claim the 315 votes as mine

[ 22-02-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

Rutger Hauer was also in the original Buffy movie, and in “Blind Fury”, maybe not an all time classic but I’m a sucker for blind samurai movies.

elmey

bonnee
    Participant

Rutger Hauer was also in the original Buffy movie,

He was curiosly ineffectual in Buffy, elmey – hard to believe that pee wee herman would show him up so easily. basically, he’s another great actor who deserved better than what hollywood threw at him – and discarded as a result.

Anonymous

basically, he’s another great actor who deserved better than what hollywood threw at him – and discarded as a result.

Hard to figure what happened to him. He had some great roles early in his career and was wonderful in them (Ladyhawke, Blade Runner and more) and then started doing lots of dreck. Bad advice? Needed the bucks?
    Of course if you wait for good scripts you do one movie every three years or so–if you like to work a lot you end up with some questionable stuff on your resume. And Hollywood judges you by what you did yesterday.
    European actors seem to have a hard time dealing with Hollywood anyway. I think reading the Rolf Kanies (sp??) interview gives a typical picture of how a lot of European actors think: acting is their craft, and they like to practice it whether on a small stage, in a movie, on TV or in a workshop.
    That attitude probably gets them into trouble when they get to L.A. and have to start thinking like a
    star.

I got the impression in Buffy that he never quite figured out when to ham it up or play it straight and ended up just being oddly creepy.

elmey

Anonymous

If anyone’s interested in any of the main actors being in other shows, Michael MacManus was in a Forever Knight episode called Forgive Us Our Sins, in which he played a priest called Pierre Rochefort.
    Xenia Seeburg was in Total Recall 2020 and she also had a small part in an episode of Total Recall 2070.

Anonymous

Jim Fowler, who played Rooster in Texx Lexx (and is rumored to have made an uncredited appearance on Vermal in White Trash), is a famous naturalist, who was one of the hosts of the 60s documentary series Wild Kingdom, and appeared as himself in the 1994 family film Running Free and the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer finds the set to The Merv Griffin Show

Thats impossible. Rooster appeared to be 20-25 years old. The actor that played him is Tim Fowler. Someone at the IMDB is confused.

[ 22-02-2002: Message edited by: Enox ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

What???? DT, get out of whatever box it is you hide in. You say that “few people have seen Blade Runner, and I think significantly fewer enjoyed it”, yet you claim that Def-Con 4 has a sizable following? For all its technical inaccuracies inasmuch as credits are concerned, the Internet Movie Database is a fairly decent representation of a a cross-section of the movie-going public, and Blade Runner has an 8.3 (out of 10) user rating, and has been voted on 40,315 times. It ranks about #68 in the top 250 movies of all time, according to their calculations. Def-Con 4 has been voted on a mere 187 times (which should indicate how many people know it exists, compared to the roughly 200 times as many who know about and have voted for Blade Runner), and has a user rating of 3.6 out of 10. Blade Runner is one of the most critically successful science fiction films ever made, while Def-Con 4 languishes in obscurity. Just because *you* don’t personally like something doesn’t mean that nobody *else* does, as much as you seem to think that everyone should share your opinions and views on everything.

I wasn’t going to extensively research all the films these actors were in, I just included the ones I thought were siginificant. I know 5 people (excluding online contacts) who liked Dev-Con 4 (I myself have not seen it). I know 1 person who liked Blade Runner (I saw it and thought it was weak).

quote:

So, for Tim Curry, you listed a fairly insignificant role in a failed movie like The Shadow, instead of listing what is perhaps the most significant role of his career. In a film that plays theatrically practically every weekend in practically every major metropolitan area, and in multiple theatres in the larger metro areas. A film that has done this since, roughly, 1980. Makes perfect sense. Like listing that barn-busting, earth-shaking success Mr. Stitch rather than Blade Runner for Rutger Hauer. Uh-huh. Glad to see you’re weeding out the lesser titles.

Once again, I know people who liked The Shadow (one is a devout fan), but The Rocky Horror Picture Show has a very narrow range of appeal (I saw most of it on T.V., it was pretty stupid). Mr. Stitch is obscure, but this is a sci-fi themed board and that was a Sci-Fi original movie, plus (i think) his only non-acting credit).

quote:

Do you know *anything* about film, or are you just making this up as you go along? For someone who allegedly requires hard proof before he believes *anything*, you certainly seem to have no problems inventing things out of whole cloth…such as the rabid cults you claim exist for films that only you and about 10 other people actually like, while claiming that more popular and/or well-respected films that you don’t happen to like (or agree with on a moral basis) are obscure and/or widely scorned.

I know quite a lot about science fiction films. I had a website that gave reviews and star ratings of sci-fi movies, but I made the mistake of working with someone else on it, and to make a long story short it no longer exists. I’m working on an updated version of it (I have well over 100 films rated), but I don’t want to put it up until it’s perfect.

bonnee
    Participant

good luck with the site Lee – but tread VERY carefully when posting your remarks about the hallowed Blade Runner: it might be what makes or breaks its credibility

Anonymous

quote:

I wasn’t going to extensively research all the films these actors were in, I just included the ones I thought were siginificant.

Well, all you had to do was look at the IMDb user rating, which is what I did. I know that you *did* look at IMDb, as you included the mistaken credit for Jim Fowler. You simply omitted an *extremely significant* science fiction film because of your own personal bias, and extrapolated the small circle of people around you to the vast generalization that “few people have seen Blade Runner, and I think significantly fewer enjoyed it.”

Once again, I know people who liked The Shadow (one is a devout fan), but The Rocky Horror Picture Show has a very narrow range of appeal (I saw most of it on T.V., it was pretty stupid).

Again, you’re extrapolating your own personal bias to others where it doesn’t exist. You know *one* devout fan of The Shadow, while The Rocky Horror Picture Show (which, BTW, is more of a science-fiction film than The Shadow could ever be, since you seem to want to be emphasizing sci-fi only credits) has had a sustained audience — in a *theatrical* setting, playing *continuously*…we’re not talking mere video releases here — for 21 years. It did flop on its initial release, but it has been playing continuously nationwide for over 2 decades. That, to me, does not spell out “very narrow range of appeal.” Whether or not *you* think it’s stupid is neither here nor there. You said that you were including films that you’d seen, or that were popular or famous. Rocky Horror and Blade Runner fit all three criteria. And by ignoring (or simply being ignorant of) the substantial impact of these two films, you indicate that you do *not* know much about film, science fiction or otherwise. Having a “review site” doesn’t make you an expert. Any lummox with an internet connection could put one up (and many have). I picked the reference to Mr. Stitch simply because it was the first one that came to mind: I could have mentioned either of the other titles you listed on Hauer’s resume and my point would still have been valid: You’re including lesser films (and I’m using the term lesser to refer to lesser-seen and the estimation of critics) and overlooking more significant (term used in the same way as “lesser”) simply because of a personal bias, and not because of any real “criteria” you’ve set up for selection.

Translation: You’re talking out of your ass.

–Aleck

[ 22-02-2002: Message edited by: Aleck ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

Look, I’m glad people can find things to add, but there’s no point in criticizing the list over things that aren’t really errors.

Now, which Jim Fowler credit is incorrect?

Aleck, not long ago you were agreeing with me and talking nicely. Now you’re back to contradicting everything I say. What’s with that? Do you just disagree with me when you’re not getting enough argument at home? Or are you being deliberately inconsistent to play with my mind?

Anonymous

quote:

Now, which Jim Fowler credit is incorrect?

Jim Fowler, as has been noted, was never in LEXX. It would be physically impossible for him to play Rooster, as he’ll be 70 years old this April. Rooster, I believe, is somewhat younger than that.

Aleck, not long ago you were agreeing with me and talking nicely. Now you’re back to contradicting everything I say. What’s with that? Do you just disagree with me when you’re not getting enough argument at home? Or are you being deliberately inconsistent to play with my mind?

I agree with you when I agree with you, and I disagree with you when I disagree with you. It’s that simple. You neglected to mention some credits that I felt were notable, and I brought them up. I didn’t say anything personal about your choices, I merely added a list of credits that I felt were worthy of mention. You then attempted to justify your decision to ignore these credits (where no justification was needed — I never questioned your decisions, I merely added some credits) with half-baked theorizing and unfounded extrapolations regarding (a) the generally accepted quality of the credits mentioned, and (b) the popularity of the titles in question. In other words, you started just making stuff up (in regards to Blade Runner and The Rocky Horror Picture Show in particular) in order to explain why you left these titles off your list — something that needed no explanation at all, and took an arrogant tone (essentially saying, “well, I didn’t like it, so it can’t be considered any good by anyone else”) in the process.

Clear enough?

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

Aleck, i have to confess to being slightly hurt for Lee. Although I agree with everything you’ve said, I can’t help but disagree with the way you’ve said some of it. Your tone has been emasculating in places – not to mention humiliating. Whilst I understand that some of Lee’s posts can strain incredulty, I think it is important that he be accorded some respect regardless. Please understand that I’m not taking sides or trying to start an argument with you. Its just clear to me that you don’t suffer foolishness gladly, although I’m not sure why there is the tendency to allow yourself to make the other person feel like a fool (at times, I must add). You have to understand that most people are not as intelligent or as educated as yourself – let alone as exacting. Many things are to your credit, but expecting others to measure up to some common standard is not one of them. I think especially intelligent people like yourself have a moral responsibilty to be more accepting of apparent stupidity and obvious mistakes. The irony surely must not be lost on you here – elsewhere you wanted to defend a subjectivist notion of truth and I was urging a constrainst upon such relativism. And now the positions appear to be reversed. my deepest, sincerest apologies for upsetting you, but: whilst Lee can talk out of his ass at times, you can come across as a real ass hole (even though I know you’re not, as evident by some of the principles you defend. trouble is – like me at times, we can often violate these same principles when defending variants of them).

please forgive the bluntness of my post, but i am doing my best to be as clear as possible.

Anonymous

quote:

Aleck, i have to confess to being slightly hurt for Lee. Although I agree with everything you’ve said, I can’t help but disagree with the way you’ve said some of it.

(short snipping done here)

please forgive the bluntness of my post, but i am doing my best to be as clear as possible.

No problem. What should be understood, though (and I don’t blame you for not knowing this, as I don’t think you’ve been around this board for all that long…not to be a negative reflection on you at all, just mentioning it), is that DT and I have a history of disagreement that goes back quite a ways. This isn’t really an excuse, but more of an explanation. If my tone offends, I apologize. I’ve just been on the receiving end of DT’s arrogance for far too many times to let an inkling of it inch toward me without a swift and harsh rebuttal.

On another point you made, while I was earlier defending a fairly subjective conception of “truth,” in speaking of opinions on the fourth season of LEXX, here I’m arguing something else: the acknowledgement of consensus. DT’s list was primarily (according to his post) a notation of “famous or popular” titles. By arguing that the consensus of moviegoers was that Blade Runner is an unenjoyable film, I offered evidence that this was not the case — that general consensus was positive. In a way, I’m arguing the same thing that I was arguing in our previous spar: I felt that you were extrapolating your opinion (that Season 4 is lousy) as a general consensus among LEXX viewers, and I was trying to argue that this POV only holds true for you.

Yeah, I’m an ass hole (or at least, I can be), and I admit that. But at least I *admit* it.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Don’t say that too loud Aleck, there might be carrots lurking about…

DalekTek790
    Participant

I’ll take a moment to explain Aleck to you. Aleck Bennett is a tenacious philodox and a charismatic logogogue. He derives great pleasure from the mental anguish of others, particularly me. He will periodically engage in heated logomachy with me. He invariably starts these arguments. All I ever do is defend myself against his agnogenic attacks. He has fixated on me for some reason I am uncertain of, and goes to great lengths, through extensive research and careful choosing of words, to maximize each post’s potential to vex me. He is bent on offending, upsetting, depressing, angering, and provoking me. He is constantly playing with my mind. With every post he tries to destroy me psychologically. Furthermore, he has recruited others for his sadistic cause via indoctrination. He says I am arrogant and offensive, and after reading that other board members are more likely to interpret ambiguous actions as offensive or signs of arrogance. He also deliberately misrepresents what I say, or interprets my posts as meaning something entirely different from what I had in mind when I was typing them, in order to generate adversarialism. He projects his own characteristics on others. I think that about sums it up.

I didn’t want this thread to be a battle. Let’s end this.

FX
    Participant

(fx munching popcorn and watching the show)

hey bonnee, welcome to the sadboard, that last post was pure dt , and the aleck and dt show is part of what we are infamous for …except now it would be the aleck, bonnee and dt show…enjoy, fx(one of aleck’s indoctrinated cult members )

bonnee
    Participant

Fx – hope you’ve enjoyed the show. I don’t intend to take any sides in this proposed threesome: I’ll just imagine myself as the meat in the sandwich.

For the record – I’ve been around a lot longer than my recent posts indicate (as a general sad lurker) and only felt motivated to join in by all those monkey chunks season 4 has been throwing up at me

Lee – bear in mind that you make many of your posts easy to misread at times, and I would encourage you to not let personal impressions bear the brunt of truth values. Remember: when we share our impressions, we are encouraging the possibility of dis/agreement. so, let’s qualify our observations more advisedly.

Aleck – stop being such an ass hole Some people (like Lee) are obviously hurt and confused by your justifiable exasperation, and don’t intend to rub you – or anyone else – the wrong way. Lee’s intent was obvious – to good naturedly share information amongst ‘friends’. so i think that should be your guide when he is obviously being misinformed. try and keep things friendly – except when you meet your match in an ass hole like me

by the way A, I would be very interested in your impressions of the scientific american article on ‘tv addiction’. please have a look at it if and when you can manage it

[ 23-02-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

I’ll take a moment to explain Aleck to you. Aleck Bennett is a tenacious philodox and a charismatic logogogue.

Well, congratulations are in order, it seems. DT knows how to use a dictionary. We should all be so lucky. For those of you not fluent in obscure vernacular, here’s what he’s saying: I vehemently love my own opinons, and use charm in order to lead people with my words.

He derives great pleasure from the mental anguish of others, particularly me.

No, it’s just you. I don’t really enjoy torturing all those others. You’re just the most fun. Kee-rist…Let’s dip a little deeper into the well of paranoia, shall we?

He will periodically engage in heated logomachy with me.

Def. (n) A war of words, or a battle about words.

He invariably starts these arguments. All I ever do is defend myself against his agnogenic attacks.

def. (adj) Of unknown cause.

No, DT, you generally say something arrogant, insulting, offensive, or just plain stupid, and I call you on it. You invite the “attacks” and I answer the call.

But here’s where it gets good…we’ve just been prepping for the full descent into paranoid raving. Let’s peek inside this maelstrom we call a mind, shall we? Read on…

He has fixated on me for some reason I am uncertain of, and goes to great lengths, through extensive research and careful choosing of words, to maximize each post’s potential to vex me. He is bent on offending, upsetting, depressing, angering, and provoking me. He is constantly playing with my mind. With every post he tries to destroy me psychologically.

DT, I don’t really give a flying rat’s ass about you. You p!ss me off, that’s true, and you annoy the living bejeesus out of me, but I don’t sit around constantly trying to come up with ways to destroy you. If you want to believe this, then fine. Submerge yourself in your sick little delusions, kiddo, and pop me a note sometime to tell me what’s going on down there. But just because you think you know what’s up, doesn’t mean that you do. I don’t have enough hours in the day to come up with myriad ways to break you down into a gibbering mess. You do that well enough on your own. I have work to do, I have a life that I live, bills to pay, people to see, places to go, friends to talk to, movies to watch, unspeakable rituals to perform, and a lovely person at my side who commands a great deal of my attention. I don’t have time to weave a web of psychological terror to ensnare you in. Get over yourself. You’re not that important. In order to do what you suggest, I’d have to have an army of followers to commit these acts, and I simply don’t have the manpower. Oh, but WAIT! I *do*!!! Read on, true believers…

Furthermore, he has recruited others for his sadistic cause via indoctrination.

That’s right. I just hope everyone enjoyed the training film, and if you’ll just take some of those sugarcubes from that box labeled MK-ULTRA…

He says I am arrogant and offensive, and after reading that other board members are more likely to interpret ambiguous actions as offensive or signs of arrogance.

I wasn’t the first, nor will I be the last to do so. I may be the one who is most likely to call you on your crap, but others said as much before I began. And I’m sorry, you have, in the past, been insulting and arrogant, and appear to want to continue doing so. You want to believe that I’m conciously trying to gain “followers” in my anti-DT crusade, when the truth is that you’re simply looking for someone to blame when people get sick of your little arrogant posturing. You’ve insinuated that everyone on the board is of lesser intelligence than you. You’ve had the presumption to believe that you have the right to speak for the entire membership of this board. You’ve insinuated that you’re morally superior to the rest of the posters. You’ve projected your own opinons onto others. You’ve been continually dismissive of any opinion expressed on this board unless it agrees with your own. You have only *once*, I believe, admitted when you were wrong. And when all of this gets to be too much for some people, and they say something to you regarding it, they’re labeled my “followers.” Not only stating blatantly (and erroneously) that I’m some kind of ringleader, but implying that those who disagree with you are *so feebleminded that they’ve allowed themselved to be led by me*.

Again, you’re arrogant, you’re insulting, and you’re *out of your freaking mind*.

–Aleck

DalekTek790
    Participant

I don’t want to continue this topic (the topic Aleck started, not the one intended for this thread), but I feel an obligation to counter the claims made that are especially erroneous.

quote:

You’ve insinuated that everyone on the board is of lesser intelligence than you. You’ve had the presumption to believe that you have the right to speak for the entire membership of this board. You’ve insinuated that you’re morally superior to the rest of the posters. You’ve projected your own opinons onto others.

This is what I meant by how he “interprets my posts as meaning something entirely different from what I had in mind when I was typing them.” I never did, said, or implied any of those things.

He’s also trying to chip away at my credibility by making it sound like I am somehow atypical in opinion or unusual in mentality. And saying the target of an organization is “just paranoid” is the oldest trick in the book. This is like what they did to X, only now I’m in the crosshairs.

quote:

Again, you’re arrogant, you’re insulting, and you’re *out of your freaking mind*.

You have no reason to question my humility, I am very innocuous and polite unless pushed too far, and I have a firm grasp on reality. And I just want this all to end. Unfortunately, there seems to be nothing I can do or say to make Aleck relent, and even if he were to leave me alone I would still have to deal with his remanent satellite figures (like the Drakh and Hand after the Shadows departed, to use a sci-fi metaphor you can understand).

And, quite frankly, I’m getting really sick of groups of people conspiring to make my life difficult.

Anonymous

quote:

And, quite frankly, I’m getting really sick of groups of people conspiring to make my life difficult.

Well, I think that sums it all up right there. Absolved of all responsibility for his own unhappiness, the root cause of DT’s difficulties in life are singled out and blamed.

Well, DT, you caught me. I *have* been orchestrating a vast conspiracy against you. I don’t know how you stumbled upon it. But, yeah, everyone who’s ever said anything negative about you, anyone who’s ever made fun of you, anyone who’s made your life difficult in the least has been under my complete and total control. We all meet every second Thursday of the month in a former Levitz Furniture building, and we all wear special fezzes. We regularly hold chats on the first and third Monday of the month in channel #LetsDestroyDT on EfNet. In fact, I don’t really hold down a job at all, since coming up with ways to break down your psyche takes all my time, and make all my money through membership donations.

I mean, seriously, what the Sam Hill are you talking about???? I don’t *care* about your precious psyche. It means *less than nothing* to me. Why would I want to destroy it??? ***You simply are not that important*** To even assume that I’m directing some kind of horrible campaign against you is to evidence a *completely* overblown sense of self-importance and self-worth. Like I said before, I don’t have time to organize a conspiracy against you. I *do* have a life. I don’t even have time to organize my CDs (which I’ve been meaning to do for weeks now). The members of this board that I speak to ouside of the context of the board are few and far between, and only one or two are in regular contact with me, and frankly, we have *better* things to talk about than destroying your happiness. Just because people disagree with you does *not* mean that they’re part of some sinister organization. To believe otherwise is *insane.*

But, then, look who this message is addressed to. I doubt there’s anything I can do to pop that bubble of delusion.

–Aleck (Emergency meeting in the chat room tomorrow at 6pm Eastern — He’s on to us!!!)

bonnee
    Participant

Aleck, let’s suppose Lee is delusional and egocentric – what in the SAM HILL is YOUR problem, apart from a pathological need to kick someone when they are so obviously down?!

bonnee
    Participant

“One of us, One of us, One of us
    Geekle Gooble, Geekle Gooble”

[ 23-02-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

Aleck, let’s suppose Lee is delusional and egocentric – what in the SAM HILL is YOUR problem, apart from a pathological need to kick someone when they are so obviously down?!

I don’t know. I guess I could spend my time more wisely. Do things like drift from board to board, posting under different names and telling everyone on each board why the 4th season of LEXX sucks, and then, when someone posts a dissenting opinion, reply with a 10-page essay on how the history of philosophical debate renders my opinon unassailable. Stuff like that.

Or not.

–Aleck

bonnee
    Participant

FX
    Participant

ooookay…i think we can close this thread now…

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.