LEXX: "Prime Ridge" and "Mort" Reviews

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx LEXX: "Prime Ridge" and "Mort" Reviews

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

The “Prime" class="bbcode-link"> LEXX Episodes section of this guide. I think it was slightly better than 769 (but for all the wrong reasons).

Also:

The “Mort" class="bbcode-link"> LEXX Episodes section of this guide. I’m surprised how much I enjoyed this one, but it still seemed too long and drawn out.

[ 24-03-2002: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

Anonymous

Ya know Saddy I didnt quite put my finger on it until now but if you combined Mort with Prime Ridge into a 1 hour ep, it’d be a hell of an ep. Im surprised how much you didnt like Prime Ridge. I felt it was pretty funny but then again Lexx fans seem to have a wide array of tastes. I agree with what most have said in that the beans just didnt have enough content to cover this long a season. But what content is in there is great, its just the filler thats been sucking some times. Thanks for the reviews!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    Im surprised how much you didnt like Prime Ridge. I felt it was pretty funny but then again Lexx fans seem to have a wide array of tastes. I agree with what most have said in that the beans just didnt have enough content to cover this long a season. But what content is in there is great, its just the filler thats been sucking some times.

Actually, I think I was a little too hard on the Prime Ridge episode. I guess if yer in a bad mood when you see an episode for review, it can badly shape your perception of it.

Having said that, I was starting to get a little concerned with the feeling that we had been there before, stupid people, guns and shoot-ups. I really fancy seeing something that would tax my brain a bit. TV sci fi sucks at the moment and I was hoping that my fave sci fi series would keep me going for a bit.

What annoyed me most was seeing my all time fave episode of sci fi tv on the telly before reviewing Prime Ridge (the Red Dwarf episode, BAck To Reality. It was a 30 minute show that seemed to last for only 10 and yet takes a long time to forget.

LEXX has surpassed most definitions of good TV Sci Fi (or at least it had done by the end of Season 3). There have been few to ‘take the wind out of you’ since.

I’m really looking forward to the chess episode, peeps have been really impressed with it on this board, so it must be good.

[ 25-03-2002: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

From SadGeezer’s episode review:
    He…declares his plutonic love for her.

“Plutonic” means “pertaining to fire or the underworld,” so it would be applicable to Prince but is not appropriate in that sentence. “Platonic,” in its neo-Classical sense (as opposed to vernacular) is appropriate for that sentance. I think that’s the word you’re looking for.

By the way, was Tad in Prime Ridge” played by the same actor as Tad in Wake the Dead?

——————

“Exterminate!” -Dalek

“Feel the power of the dark Crystal!” -skekTek

“I will love you forever!” -790

bonnee
    Participant

Great (updated) signature DT. Looks wonderfully playful.

For the record, though, Plato’s notion of love has been getting a bum rap over the years, and is much more in the spirit of Lexx than usually acknowledged. Its not that he valued friendhip between men and women (he thought women weren’t really worthy of true love). Rather, Plato urged (via Socrates) that love between men was the most preeminent value.

Lysis, Phaedrus, and Symposium: Plato on Homosexuality

….
    Plato
    ….
    “And when the other is beside him, he shares his respite from anguish; when he is absent, he likewise shares his longing and being longed for, since he possesses that counterlove which is the image of love, though he supposes it to be friendship rather than love, and calls it by that name” (from the Phaedrus).

The nature of love and friendship and their varying manifestations have stimulated philosophical interest for centuries. How should we understand such concepts as: the beloved, physical beauty, the beauty that transcends the physical, and the power of love between men as the ancient Greeks understood it? In the Lysis, Phaedrus, and Symposium, Socrates, the gadfly of Athens, searches for the truth about love and friendship. In doing so, he reveals how his Athenian contemporaries regarded homosexual love as an educative, aesthetic, and social force.

That is the real version of Platonic love espoused in the dialogues, but in the spirit of the discourse that enabled it as such, see

The Order of Speeches in the Symposium
    External Dialogue 1721-173e Apollodorus tells an unnamed interlocutor he can recount the story told to him by Aristodemus about going to the symposium at Agathon’s with Socrates on the occasion of Agathon’s being crowned the victorious tragic poet
    1. Phaedrus 178a-180c: Love inspires virtue.
    2. Pausanias 180c-185c: Homosexual love, with roles distinct and defined.
    {Interruption: Aristophanes gets the hiccups.}
    3. Eryximachus 185e-188e: Love is a force in the cosmos (à la Empedocles).
    4. Aristophanes 189a-193d: Love is the desire to have wholeness restored.
    5. Agathon 194e-197e: Love is the source of all good things.
    6. Socrates 201d-212c: (From Diotima): Love is the desire to procreate in beauty.
    The birth of Eros from Penia (Poverty) and Poros (Resource) 203b-204b
    The soul’s ascent to beauty
    one beautiful body
    the beauty of all bodies
    the beauty of souls
    the beauty of laws, activities, and customs
    the beauty of knowledge, ideas, and theories
    Beauty in itself (211a-d)
    7. Alcibiades 215a-222d: Socrates himself personifies Love.
    Conclusion: Socrates drinks everyone under the table, and they are debating whether the same person could compose both comedies and tragedies.

Also Relevant on Platonic Love: Phaedrus, especially Socrates’ second speech, 243e-257b Love is the “divine madness”

Cribbed off the Net, of course.

[ 31-03-2002: Message edited by: bonnee ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    “Platonic,” in its neo-Classical sense (as opposed to vernacular) is appropriate for that sentance. I think that’s the word you’re looking for.

By the way, was Tad in Prime Ridge” played by the same actor as Tad in Wake the Dead?

I stand corrected. Cheers dude

Not sure if it was Tad in this episode. Unfortunately I didn’t have the full credit list when I was writing the review.

[ 31-03-2002: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.