Mice get cured

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ADM
    Participant

I recently read that testing on mice who were given cancer cells, has produced a startling result…a possible cure for all cancers.
    This was by use of gene therapy, basically they introduced a way of turning on the genes that attack cancer cells, but they also made the genes ultra active and multiply, so that in a short time these genes completely eradicated all cancer cells in the mice…quite a breakthrough, now all they need to do is adapt this too human physiology and cancer could well be got rid of for good, human testing is too begin next year….here’s hoping for success.
    ADM

Anonymous

Well Ill tell ya something even more interesting than that about mice =0

Their genome stucture is quite similar to ours. In fact next to humanity only mice have had their genome mapped. They’re that important to research, but heres where I blow your mind:

Frank Herbert of Dune fame, wrote about organic machines called Axlotl tanks, used to clone/grow organs/etc…

Recently the USA grew healthy living *Human* kidney tissue from a mouse. Stay Tuned.

ADM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    Well Ill tell ya something even more interesting than that about mice =0

Their genome stucture is quite similar to ours. In fact next to humanity only mice have had their genome mapped. They’re that important to research, but heres where I blow your mind:

Frank Herbert of Dune fame, wrote about organic machines called Axlotl tanks, used to clone/grow organs/etc…

Recently the USA grew healthy living *Human* kidney tissue from a mouse. Stay Tuned.

It doesn’t surprise me, for some bizarre reason someone decided to give a mouse a human ear, it was weird seeing this mouse with an ear on it’s back.
    I’m not sure whether thy’ve mapped pigs yet, but I’ve heard that pigs are the only animals where they’re organs can be adapted for use in the human body, although this does not involve genetic research.
    I don’t it will be too long before cells and damaged organs could be replaced in the human body.
    ADM

Anonymous

Actually I was going to bring up Pigs but it was late.

You’re right on the money. Pig skin is almost identical to human skin sans sweat glands. Pig skin is used to test almost all human made cosmetics and topical medicines. Their blood is also very similar as is their genetic makeup. It wont be long.

ADM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by LexxLurker:
    Actually I was going to bring up Pigs but it was late.

You’re right on the money. Pig skin is almost identical to human skin sans sweat glands. Pig skin is used to test almost all human made cosmetics and topical medicines. Their blood is also very similar as is their genetic makeup. It wont be long.

It makes you wonder if the missing is actually an ape or some kind of pig monster!!!, there is living proof of this already…see Bekka on Andromeda!!!
    Seriously though, the only problem with using pig organs is that the human body tends to reject the new organs, it’s very rare (unless it’s a minor organ) for a transplant too succeed, however, with gene manipulation it’s possible too overcome by turning off the gene’s that would reject such transplants.
    ADM

Rag
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by ADM:

It makes you wonder if the missing is actually an ape or some kind of pig monster!!!ADM

The prospect of an interbred species of Apes and Pigs is only slightly less scarey than the Rat-Spiders. Maybe the Rat-Spiders are breeding them…

Sorry, I’m back in the real world again now.

All this raises the age old debate of where do advances in medical issues take us? And what should be the ethical stand point on such matters?

Is this related to this topic? I think yes, but in a vague attempt at practicing what I rant, I feel a new thread coming on.
    (Dunno how to link to a new thread yet… Would one of you lovely Mods be so kind as to help out here please? Thanks)

Back on topic tho… I honestly don’t think it will be too long before we get vat grown organs. Genetics and suchlike are so advanced these days that I believe it is only a matter of time before it is established why organs are rejecting and steps taken to prevent the process from occurring. I reckon it will be in our lifetimes anyway.

What then? 2000ad style organ legging?

The cure for cancer is like the medical holy grail. Are they really that close to a cure? I would love to think that they are. And if they can use these methods for sorting something as horrible as cancer, what else will they be able to modify this process to do? The prospects are mind boggling, and just a bit scarey. People are all waving their arms about GM crops. What are they going to say about direct manipulation of the genes inside the human body?

ADM
    Participant

I get the feeling that the real hard work has been done, everthing that follows on from it is somewhat easier.
    As the genetic structure is investigated more and more the control over our DNA and cells will become easier. and our body’s contain cancer killing cells, so it’s just a case of turning the buggers on!!!
    I would surmise that creating a clone is the pinnacle of genetic research, with that done everything else will fall into place.
    It’s been in our history that if a small breakthrough is made then bigger one’s will follow, i.e the space program>moon landing>space shuttle>interstellar probes>mars probes>ion drives> and then maybe warp speed.
    The same should be true here, science very rarely goes out on a limb nowadays, if they say it’s possible then you can be pretty sure it will happen.
    There is so much being acheived, that the gap between it being science fiction and science fact is closing every year.
    Personally I don’t mind science being in a rush, I want too see these things happen in my lifetime, but on the flipside we could be going so fast it endangers humanity (sod humanity…I want it now!!!)
    But on genetics, from I can ascertain, I will say that cancer will be cured within ten years.
    ADM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.