Nerd alert: find writing/plot inconsistencies in Lexx!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Nerd alert: find writing/plot inconsistencies in Lexx!

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 22 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Yes yes I know… it’s downright geeky to find plot and writing inconsistencies in sci fi shows, especially one like Lexx where it seems it’s often done deliberately. HOWEVER, I think it can be quite fun to nitpick the storyline in an episodic series and uncover holes, inconsistencies, and other nerdy goodness. NOT for the purpose of “What were they thinking, this show is stupid, those writers were sure morons to not notice that!” as this pretty much takes the fun right out of it, mind you, but more from a “Did you catch that one?” puzzle kind of perspective.

WITH THAT IN MIND, here’s how I thought you could do this if you participate:

1) Title the inconsistency

2) Name the episodes involved if possible

3) Describe the inconsistency

4) Attempt to explain the inconsistency (be however creative you want)

5) Rate the inconsistency on a scale of 1-3 (1 being the weakest, such as “it can be explained off camera,” to 3 being a direct inconsistency, such as (for a goofy example) Kai saying his pompadour is flame proof, then in another episode it goes up in flames.

Again, this is JUST FOR FUN, if you take this seriously you need help.

Allow me to start:

=========================
    790 love slave “reset”

Episodes: Norb, Fire & Water, Haley’s Comet

In Fire & Water and Haley’s Comet, we learn that “resetting” 790 will make him fall in love with the first thing he sees. However, back in “Norb,” 790 is near destroyed and put back together by Kai, and is still in love with Xev when he comes back online (no “I will love you forever” response either.)

Explanation – 790 may not have been reset in “Norb.”

Rate: 2

Key to Lexx being released on point of sexual ecstasy

Episodes: Boomtown, The Key, Fluffdaddy, Bad Carrot

In The Key & Fluffdaddy, we learn that the key to the Lexx can be released on sexual orgasm. Later in Fluffdaddy and Bad Carrot, we learn that the release of the key on sexual orgasm is involuntary. However, back in “Boomtown,” Stan had so much sex with the female residents that they wore him out, but he never lost the key.

Explanation – ???

Rate: 3

“The dead can go out of alignment”

Episodes: Super Nova, K-Town

Kai drops to the surface of planet water and later goes “out of alignment” in K-Town. He ends up fixing the problem by falling again from a high distance on his *other* side. However, in Super Nova, he can be completely sliced in half long ways and then quickly repair himself by fusing back together (including his hair .

Explanation – Going out of alignment doesn’t happen when dead assassins are sliced in half.

Rate: 1

Kai’s living Devine Assassin “living” clothing

Episodes: Garden, Haley’s Comet

Kai says his clothing is made of living structures that can “clean themselves.” But in Garden, Kai says he will eventually decompose if he’s left buried.

Explanation – Perhaps the living structures need protoblood.

Protoblood’s effectiveness

Episodes: Giga Shadow, Mort

In Giga Shadow, protoblood is depicted to be so effective that the dead will awaken the instant protoblood is dripped on the skin. In Mort, it takes much longer for it to wake up Mort’s “Frankenstein’s monstress.”

Explanation – Protoblood takes longer to work on things that have been dead longer.

Destruction of the Light Universe

Episodes: The End of the Universe, The Game

Mantrid’s arm drones destroy the Light Universe in “The End of the Universe,” but in “The Game,” Kai and Prince return to the light universe to play chess, presumably on one of the Brunnece planets.

Explanation – ??? Might be explained at the end of season 4, at the time of this posting the last five episodes have yet to air.

Rate: 3

Anonymous

Just my personal explainations, doesent mean they’re right Follwed by a quick inconsistancy. Good thread these are a lot of fun to discuss(and argue about)

1) Norb: It was only his brain cube that was crushed so the programming did not need to be reset, in any event he saw Xev first again after he was turned on.

2) Boomtown: Other than Xev who was also in ecstasy(kinda) there is no one on either Fire or Water they can take the key. Good inconsistancy, tough to explain.

3) Kais alignment: Your explaination hit the nail on the head But in reality it was just a way for MM to take some clothes off for the ladies. And showing his rod was pretty funny.

4) I think you’re right here too

5) Kai was using depleted protoblood, not the real stuff, the leftover waste.

6) They didnt go to the Light Universe they went to the “Other Zone” which is a newly forming universe.

I cant think of many but there is a lot. Off the top of my head the very first line I think of Lexx 1.0 in Kai’s narration when he said it was foretold by the Time Prophet he would destroy his divine shadow. Later in that episode the Time Prophet says they will be destroyed by the Brunnin-G and not Kai specifically. I could be wrong though lol, gonna have to watch IWHS tommarrow night now ๐Ÿ˜›

[ 28-03-2002: Message edited by: LexxLurker ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

The League of 20,000 Planets

From the third sentence of Lexx: “The Time Prophet predicted that I would be the one to destroy the Divine Order and the League of 20,000 Planets.” But in Texx Lexx Kai says that the Divine Order took over the League of 20,000 Planets. It existed before the Divine Order so why would it necessarily collapse when the Order was destroyed? Furthermore, episodes like Love Grows and 791 seem to indicate that the league, or significant parts of it, continued to operate as a unified society after the Divine Order was destroyed.

Lyekka’s Pod
    In Lyekka Lyekka eats people with her pod, while the mimoid component merely subdues them. The End of the Universe establishes that the pod is a necessary part of the Trin because without it they cannot eat and will starve to death in a short time. Yet in Twilight only the mimoid goes down to Ruuma, yet it is able to consume two human beings without the assistance of the pod.

Prince’s Life
    In the episode May, the Prince of Fire is killed, but his followers revive his body in a ceremony involving a supernatural well. Then in Tunnels Prince is killed again. His body dissolves, and he revives himself with no help, away from the well, to come back as Xev.

Prince and the Key
    In The Key Prince takes the key to the Lexx from Stanley. But in P4X Prince, who has taken on a human body, cannot receive the Key because his lingering metaphysical qualities cause it to not recognize him as human.

[ 29-03-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Anonymous

Well, how come Lyekka’s never eaten two people the same way that we know of?

Explanation: Beats me. I assume that people she eats without her pod are ‘stored’ within her matrix for later delivery to the pod. Storage can be very fast, or very slow and messy, depending.

How come the cryopods and the cryopod control seems to move from episode to episode.

Explanation: There are actually a bunch of cryopods and cryopod controls. Kai rotates through the bunch of them,, essentially to keep the machinery operational or to avoid
    breakdowns.

Or Vlad, why on earth does Kai wait for the girls who steal his protoblood to get all the way down to Earth and Vlad before going after them. You know, if he’d jumped in a moth and hightailed it after them, he’d have caught them before they made it to Vlad and there wouldn’t have been an episode.

Explanation: Kai didn’t and couldn’t know
    that Vlad was crippled, he might have been chasing them into her grasp.

Explanation 2: A Stan under Vlad’s control/influence in command of the LEXX was a greater and more immediate threat.1111111111111

Details details…

Anonymous

*** Spoilers ***

1) The speed of Lexx / other objects.

The speed of objects in the Light Universe was always a bit … well, odd. How fast can the Lexx move at full speed? We don’t know, but we do know that they traversed to the centre of the universe from wherever in a fortnight. However, in 2.20 Mantrid’s drones were able to coalesce onto them from all over the universe in a few scant hours.

In the Dark Zone, however, it seems to take the Lexx nine months to get around the sun at its incapacitated pace and to Earth. When it’s at full speed it takes almost the entire length of “Haley’s Comet” to get out of the solar system. The Light Universe seems to have very different physics to that of the Dark Zone since the Lexx’s speed seems to be much more of an issue from Series 3 onwards.

2) As mentioned elsewhere on the boards… when Xev leaves in the moth for Earth at the end of 4.01 Priest has just been elected. By the time she arrives on Earth, he’s being inaugurated, a process that should have taken a couple of months.

3) Priest, Giggerota and certain others seem to be conscious of the fact that they “woke up” on Earth when reincarnated much like on Fire, with little or no memory of previous events on our planet. Bunny and Lorka, however, both seem to remember previous lives on Earth (Bunny believes herself to have family and remembers playing Truth or Dare in high-school) which they couldn’t possibly have had.

4) Lt. Eagle is shown as a ghost on Earth from Vietnam whom Bunny sees and interacts with. At the same time, his soul – as “Root” – was on Boomtown mucking around with Xev. Water was destroyed and so presumably his living soul returned to Earth … but Bunny still sees the ghost after this has taken place.

5) Prince puts on a faux American accent during his inital briefing of President Davison which he then loses in private, presumably for the benefit of the other Chiefs of Staff. However, he never bothers with the accent again no matter who he’s dealing with.

6) How and why did Lyekka’s family get out of the Light Zone before Mantrid’s drones dissolved all of the fractal cores? And why are they in a mechanically-altered asteroid now when they could outpace the Lexx before? (I realise that if we’d just seen the pods first off we would have known straight away who the carrot aliens were, but this IS nitpicking. ๐Ÿ˜› )

7) Prince, as ruler of Fire, is given supernatural abilities. Others on the twin planets have different levels of understanding of the situation, such as Duke and Queen. Some, like Fifi, have no idea of their constant reincarnation at all.

May, however, seemingly has another ability. She can create the appearence of her own death and feign injuries that even robotic devices (790 and the protein regenerator) are fooled by. Even assuming she was a servant of Prince’s, what gave her this ability? It was never explained.

8) If Fire and Water have been destroyed then where do all of the dead people go?

9) Why does Kai’s protoblood change colour whenever it feels like it? In Gigashadow we saw brown and white-green varieties. Zev scooped up plenty of lime-green for Kai. In Nook and other episodes, it’s brown again.

And 10) In “The Key” 790 says, I believe, that the Key resides in the Medula Oblangada (spelling?) of the Captain’s brain, the part that also controls sexual desires. In “May”, Kai tells Xev that all parts of the brain unnecessary for the building of moths were removed from the moth-breeders. That being the case … how does the key reside in them?

sgtdraino
    Participant

Here’s a few more inconsistencies I thought of:

1. Lexx and the Fractal Core

Episodes: 1.01, 1.04

Inconsistency: When Lexx first goes through the Fractal Core in 1.01, much of his memory is erased. but when he goes through the Fractal Core again in 1.04, TWICE, no apparent erasure occurs.

Explanation: After going through the Fractal Core the first time, Lexx became accustomed to its effects, and adapted.

Rating: 1

2. Destruction of the Giga Shadow

Episodes: 1.04, 2.01

Inconsistency: In 2.01, the voice of HDS tells us that the Giga Shadow was destroyed by the Lexx (and we see a shot of the Lexx blowing up the Cluster), but we all REALLY know the Giga shadow was destroyed by the Fractal Core, when its positive mass got tangled up in the Fractal Core’s anti-mass, after Squish bit into its brain. Why does HDS say the Lexx destroyed it?

Explanation: Perhaps the narration is being done by the remnant essence left in Kai, which was transfered before the Giga Shadow was destroyed… ergo this remnant isn’t sure how the Giga Shadow bought it. OR perhaps HDS blames the Lexx because the Giga Shadow was attached to the Lexx when it got pulled into the Fractal Core.

Rating: 2

3. Stan’s Magic Security Guard Uniform

Episodes: 2.02, and episodes after it.

Inconsistency: In 2.02, Kai fires his brace through Stan’s jumpsuit, puncturing Stan’s heart. But in later episodes, there is no evidence of any hole in the fabric of Stan’s uniform. Also, in Xevivor, Stan’s boots magically transform into lace-up combat boots when he has to do physical stuff.

Explanation: Stan’s uniform (and most clothes of his era) are made of the same little thingies Kai’s clothes are made of, which clean and repair themselves. But the boots? Eh… hrm. Maybe he took ’em off one of the dead muscle guys when no one was looking?

Rating: 2-3

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sgtdraino:
    [QB]Episodes: 1.04, 2.01

Inconsistency: In 2.01, the voice of HDS tells us that the Giga Shadow was destroyed by the Lexx (and we see a shot of the Lexx blowing up the Cluster), but we all REALLY know the Giga shadow was destroyed by the Fractal Core, when its positive mass got tangled up in the Fractal Core’s anti-mass, after Squish bit into its brain. Why does HDS say the Lexx destroyed it?

Explanation: Perhaps the narration is being done by the remnant essence left in Kai, which was transfered before the Giga Shadow was destroyed… ergo this remnant isn’t sure how the Giga Shadow bought it. OR perhaps HDS blames the Lexx because the Giga Shadow was attached to the Lexx when it got pulled into the Fractal Core.

That’s easy to explain. It was just a simplification of the backstory. The statement, “The Lexx destroyed the Gigashadow” generally explains what happend for the benefit of newbie viewers watching this show for the first time on the SciFi Channel. The viewer doesn’t really need to know exactly how the crew of the Lexx defeated the Gigashadow. Explaining that the Gigashadow “was destroyed by the Fractal Core, when its positive mass got tangled up in the Fractal Core’s anti-mass, after Squish bit into its brain” is not relavent to the story of 2.01 Mantrid and would only confuse the viewer.

Anonymous

One of my favorite unanswered Lexx questions has always been: How can Kai function in the coldness of space (Gigashadow et al), yet be frozen in the cryopod, and even flash frozen in Terminal?

Answer(?): I could be truly geeky and say that the temperature in space is actually a smidgin above absolute zero and the cryopod goes down to absolute zero…..but where’s the fun in that?

elmey

sgtdraino
    Participant

Say, here’s a good one:

At the end of 1.01, when our crew finds themselves in the Dark Zone, 790 claims to have no knowledge of the area.

But in Season 4, 790 is some kind of Dark Zone expert, right down to knowing the locations, names, and populations of planets in the Dark Zone! What gives?

Of course, the REAL answer is that the Beans wanted an easy means to exposite information about the Dark Zone, and didn’t really care much about maintaining plot consistency.

As Lex said in his latest chat:

we are very lazy writers

And (jokingly):

inconsistencies? On OUR show?

But I’m not complaining.

… much.

Anonymous

THE TIME PROPHET

Anyone else notice that the Time Prophet doesn’t seem to stay in one universe?
    According to all mythology, Kai visited the Time Prophet, who gave him the prediction that he will destroy the Divine Order.

However, in Super Nova, Stan sees a vision of the Time Prophet in one of the memory disks on Brunnis. Apparently the Brunnen-G citizen he was watching visited the Time Prophet in his lifetime, but they are in two completely different universes.

Explanation: Either the Time Prophet has two bases, and exists in two universes at one time; or the person who’s memory was recorded travelled into the Light Universe to speak to the Prophet.

XEV’S HAIR

‘Nuff said.

Meanwhile, a consistency that I DO like is the fact that the Lexx crew eat off of the faceplates of the Divine Predecessors.

theNetProphet

Anonymous

How can Kai function in the coldness of space (Gigashadow et al), yet be frozen in the cryopod, and even flash frozen in Terminal?

My first try on SadGeezer. I’ve been thinking about elmey’s Kai’s Kelvin conundrum. The answer seems to be that in space even 93,000,000 miles from a yellow star things are almost room temperature, but more often useful to note is that the infrared shine near a planet or very near the Lexx is fairly enormous so Kai heats up enough. There is a derivation of meteorite temperatures at:
    http://home1.gte.net/res04m7h/temperature.html

Kai is pretty close to a meteorite

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Insect Overlord:

Kai is pretty close to a meteorite

I can live with that

elmey

PS: I forgot to say welcome Insect Overlord!

[ 15-04-2002: Message edited by: elmey ]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.