Sci Fi Choice: Easier to navigate

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Announcements/New Stuff Sci Fi Choice: Easier to navigate

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I’ve managed to find a way of changing the number of favourite Sci Fi items that can be displayed on a pagefrom one to five. This should make it easier for you to browse member recomended sci fi flims, books etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good idea.

Is there a way for the general user to put in a cover image (the SciFi choice image one sees on the homepage)? It looked so boring with the standard book image after I submitted it. Oh, I see the Alphaville one has been greatly improved — including an extra, excellent, and far more informative review. Good stuff! ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll try a Brazil and Zardoz one later.

Anonymous

Hi Logan,

I’m afraid that there isn’t a way to do that. Only the Admin can actually set up the pictures etc. BUT, once you have entered your sci fi recommendation, the admin will update, clean up (if required) and add a book/DVD cover image (And links to Amazon.com and .co.uk) if required.

If you want to help the admins in this, the best way you can do it is to place the url for the item on amazon.com because that’s where we get the image for the cover.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, will do, thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Umm, I want to submit a comment (for admin approval) to the Brazil item I added yesterday, but I don’t seem to be able to. I’ve tried looking at the FAQ, but can’t see how it’s done.

Here’s the comment:

Brazil, it’s not just a place, it’s a state of mind.

Brazil may be my favourite sci-fi~ish film of all. A magnificent black comedy; very witty and imaginative.

As amazon.com’s review mentions, the dystopian Brazil was influenced by Kafka, as I wrote at the beginning of the review, it’s also indebted to 1984 — make good companion pieces.

Both 1984 and Brazil share a retro-futuristic aesthetic (rather 1940sish, or imagine the future as envisioned in the 40’s.) Also, Brazil’s opening scene parodies 1984. In Brazil, authorities storm into a family’s home, scary indeed, but it quickly moves into black comedy, and in 1984 think of the scene where Winston and Julia are caught. Sam’s interrogation at the end is reminiscent of Winston’s. And of course both protagonists (petty “civil servents”) live ina world of oppressive authority (1984’s Ministry of Information can be likened to Brazil’s Information Retrieval). There are too many references to note, though there are, of course, distinct differences too.

Whilst the very dark and oppressive 1984 had some comedic moments, I’ve thought if 1984 was a black comedy it might play a lot like Brazil.

If you really like the movie, you might want try The City of Lost Children which is indebted to Brazil, and if you don’t feel like reading 1984, you could watch the movie version of the book.

Also, the book, The Battle for Brazil, is a real eye opener, Gilliam had a major fight with the studio over the film (ah, most oppressive authorities).

As for the DVD, there are plenty of versions about, some much better than others. I loved the longer Director’s Cut, and the Criterion DVD is most probably the best (Criterion DVDs are superb feature-wise though generally more expensive).

Oh, and check out this link: http://www.trond.com/brazil/ Lots of Brazil multimedia.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.