Suggestion: Sci-Fi Writing Contest or Game

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Original Science Fiction Suggestion: Sci-Fi Writing Contest or Game

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s an idea that I’ve been thinking about for a long time. Since there are so many talented writers here… If it were alright with theFrey, how would people feel about having a SadGeezer Sci-Fi Creative Writing Contest? I’m thinking it would probably be best to have a word count limit of 350 words or so, so that one doesn’t have to wade through hundreds of “pages” of submissions (assuming we get many submissions). We could even have every submission start and end with the same sentence — that would be quite fun I think.

We can hammer out the rules (to ensure fairness) if people are interested in this project. In many ways I’d rather have no winners, since much of what this writing forum is about is encouraging others to write and keep on writing (while offering constructive advice so people can improve their craft), and as writing is its own reward…

I’ll have to take a good gander at http://www.lit.org/ ,since I think they’ve had some contests in their writing forums.

I have many ideas, but I’d like to hear others’ thoughts on this. Think I like the idea of a just plain fun writing game the most.

Comments?

theFrey
    Participant

Sounds like a winner. I have seen some good contests where everyone was given a outline or list of characters and they had to come up with a story to fit those people or that action.

Nebagram
    Participant

Yeah, this sounds fun. Count me in 🙂

nursewhen
    Participant

If I can get my muse to bite, I’ll be there. 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great, so since there’s some interest we can really go ahead and hammer out how to go about it. Those are excellent ideas, theFrey. Thanks. I will try to work out an outline or list of characters this week.

We could also have a sci-fi poetry contest, or something like that for those people who don’t want to write something longer (e.g. a haiku).

I was brainstroming so hard my head hurt and came up with part of a first line and two possible complete final lines that we could use…

“Once upon a time…”
    “And they all lived happily ever after.” Or, if people prefer, “The End.” 😉 I just hope that such strict parameters won’t stifle people’s creativity. 😆

Nebagram, yeah, it should be a lot of fun!

Nurewhen, if you can get your muse to bite, could I request a nibble too? I’d ask my own muse, but its bark is worse than its bite.

theFrey
    Participant

All right…. I think I have an idea to warm things up just a bit.

I will post it later tonight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.