Taken In?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while but keep forgetting…..and obviously noone else seems to have cared enough to mentioned it either! Maybe that’s a sign.

Did anyone here watch “Taken” ? I have to confess I didn’t but am curious to hear opinions. I saw the NY Times review which wasn’t good, and one friend saw it and didn’t think much of it. I assume the ratings were pretty high. I saw today that it’s been nominated for a Golden Globe for best TV miniseries (OK, so it’s the Golden Globes ).

So what’d you think?

elmey

Flamegrape
    Participant

Oh yeah. Hadn’t you heard? This half-year ad campaign on the SciFi Channel led up to the real-life revelation that there really are aliens that visit Earth all the time. Didn’t you see the president of the United States make the announcement after the conclusion of the movie? Then there was a stunning documentary by Michael Moore where he’s given a personal tour of Area 51. Taken was, in reality, a two-week-long propaganda campaign to get the general public used to the idea that there are, in fact, aliens among us.

No one watched it?

Anonymous

I watched all of it. And “Taken” is the appropriate title for it.

In the words of mr. garrison; I watched all 20 hours of that piece of **** just to find out the aliens were her god damned father.

I want those 20 hours back.
    SPOILERS AHEAD

SP

SPOILERS AHEAD

SPOILERS AHEAD

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

SPOILERS AHEAD

Last Chance turn back now….

Ok here’s the gist. The first 18 hours were absolutly fantastic. Its the story of 3 families. The Crawfords, and 2 other families I dont care about, Clarks and something else. The story takes place over 3 generations of them starting at roswell in the late 40s, err actually in ww2 but not really.

The story begins with this guy in a WW2 bomber him and his crew are taken by Aliens. They do experiments and what not, but only one gradually realized what happened.

Meanwhile aliens land at roswell. They crash into a weather baloon. Im skipping ahead, but the aliens are energy, they dont exist in our space-time. So when they travel into our space-time as matter they appear in forms we expect, thus little green men in saucers. When they merge with our space-time they become subject to our physics, which is why they crashed upon hitting the baloon.

4 aliens die but one escapes, morphs into a human and gets down for some loving with the farmer girl.

Meanwhile the Roswell incident is being covered up by the Crawford Sr. He’s an evil evil evil Machivillian evil evil evil guy. He murders, seduces, ANYTHING to get the job done. He even marries the daughter of the General in charge of the project to blackmail him so he can take it over. So Satan ermm Crawford becomes lead of the cover-up and research team. He has possession of 4 dead aliens and their saucer.

He also has this nifty piece of metal, that an exgirlfriend brought to him, then he killed her viciously by beating her to death with his fists. Yeah he’s that kinda guy. But take heart, his kids and kids kids are a lot worse.

Ok meanwhile the air force guy has a male child as well, and then the guy goes nuts and becomes a homeless vagrant. And the aliens keep taking him.

The farmer woman has an alien baby and her alien hubby goes back to outerspace but takes an earring of hers with him, awwww.

2nd Generation

The Crawford kids are an odd pair. One is a hippy kid who only cares about helping others (Yes he dies quickly) and the other is Satan x 2. The oldest crawford discovers the Farmer woman had an alien baby so he goes and seduces her and steals the kid. The kid being part alien uses a jedi mind trick on crawford (Important 2 generations from now) and shows him something so awful that he’s never quite the same again.

His other son joins up with the program and promptly kills his father off by inducing a stroke/heart attack by taunting him. His last words to his father are:

“Aww you ****ed yourself dad”

Yes evil. Prince has nothing on the Crawfords.

However we quickly realize this crawford dosesent have the taste for murder his father has. He falls in love with the daughter of the farmer woman Clarke, but she later rejects him.

The alien kid grows up and has a daughter of his own.

The Air Force guy also has a son that gets Taken a lot by the aliens but has a lot more heart than his father, he later becomes a heroin addict and goes crazy, but before which he also has a son.

3rd Generation

Crawford JR has no sons. He hates his wife because of that and also resents his daughter even tho she is a savant level genius. She wins all these awards in her teen years for national science etc…

Meanwhile the government led by Crawford Jr, realize the metal object they have had all along is a recording device like a black box that holds all the answers.

The Crawford daughter begins to dig into her familys past and has a fascination with her grandfather (the first evil crawford guy) and wants to know all about him. She revels in the fact her family is evil and will soon put them to shame with her atrocities.

The Clark family (Farmer family) daughter is a trailer-trash girl that plays the drums. This is where the show starts sucking big time. This girl cannot act for the life of her and is just impossible to watch.

The Air Force family also has a son that is the single most annoying actor in the series. He doesent listen to anyone and thinks he has all the answers. He actually tries and fights the aliens off when they take him.

One thing I failed to mention is that the Clarks (Farmer family) and the Air force family contain implants the aliens gave them that are like tracking devices. Its really not that important tho. What is important is they are genetically manipulating these 2 families. And now they choose to breed them to create the Quizate Hadarach! No not really. But you’ll find out soon enough. They create a daughter, really cute lil girl that stole the show, but couldent save the ending.

The Crawford daughter now decides its time to shoot daddy in the back when he tries to save the life of the little girl to kinda redeem himself and his sins.

The Crawford daughter has a relationship with her fathers best friend the guy who played “Max Headroom”. He’s also great, but cant save the ending, cause he’s not in it! She kills him too, but Im getting too far ahead.

The best line and grossest line in this series is when you first see the crawford daughter and her fathers best friend in bed together and he proclaims at climax:

“Ive been wanting to do this since you were 13!”

sicko.

The little girl is extraordinarily powerful. She creates an illusion of a ship and enthralls the entire military unit there to bring a ship down. The Crawford girl runs inside where she meets her grandfather in the best scene of the series. She asks him the one question she always wanted to know:

What scared him so badly when the little alien kid stared at him? After all her grandfather was the baddest man ever to live. He says to her,

“Do you really want to see what I saw? Then look!” And he shows her and this seemingly unshakable Crawford girl shrieks in terror and falls to the ground crying. Then her grandfather politely offers her a cookie, and sneers. Perfect cameo to bring him back late in the series imo =)

Later on she explains to Max Headroom what she saw. In a single instant she saw every single possibility that could happen in her life. Including all the evil things she had done, was going to do and was capable of doing. Thats why her grandfather lost heart, but she’s so damn evil she only gets more determained.

Long story short in the last 2 hours this show goes completely downhill. You find out all in the last episode that these aliens are aliens. They dont have human qualities like individuality, so they created a hybrid, which is this little blonde girl. And they take her with them and setup a series naturally since Sci-Fi needs to milk everything.

Ill come back and edit this through tommarrow to be more thorough perhaps, but its 1am and I had to rush =)

[ 20-12-2002: Message edited by: LexxLurker ]

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t know anything about Taken, escept the scifi website has been emailing me about it weekly for months it seems.

ADM
    Participant

Sounds like Dallas with Aliens!!!
    BTW, guy who played ‘Max Headroom’… Matt Frewer.
    ADM

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alien Conspiracy Theories a Conspiracy?

I’m inclined to believe that shows like Taken are indeed propaganda.

It’s occurred to me that the whole “alien conpiracy” thing is just another conspiracy to keep “the masses” from thinking about the real conspiracies.

Personally, I blame the aliens for it! (joking with that last bit)

Anonymous

It kills me Sci Fi put what would be a proper series as a “miniseries” showing on consecutive days. Yes, it worked for the Ken Burns documentaries on PBS, but those were interesting.

Me? I am just not interested in “alien abduction” stories, be they real aliens or government coverup, or whatever. I’m sure that this KITH skit is much more enjoyable than “Taken” was.

mandara k
    Participant

Thanks LL for the take on TAKEN. It’s good to know I can still find out what is going on without watching all of those hours of TV.

It’s an Alien Dynasty; AHHHHH!

Anonymous

Great description LL. I’m with Mandara on this one, now I don’t actually have to watch.

I agree with storm too, alien abductions is a subject I generally have no interest in– unless it’s a serious study of mass hysteria. One of the irritating things about the Scifi PR campaign for the program was the pretense that they were really doing a public service; among other things they actually filed a Freedom of Information request for “hidden” UFO material.

A propos of nothing, the Times reviewer mentioned that these aliens did all their probing through the nose not the usual orifice.

elmey

Anonymous

I watched bits and pieces of it, mostly in the weekend reruns. It was just impossible to watch two hours of it every night for two weeks. Frankly, I wasn’t all that impressed or interested. It was just a big soap opera, with all these characters you had to keep straight, and the bad ones were just too bad and the good ones were just too good. I can’t imagine why “Taken” would win any Golden Globes or anything else.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Cat:
    I don’t know anything about Taken, escept the scifi website has been emailing me about it weekly for months it seems.

Yeah. I’ve had the same problem, I hate junk mail.

Anonymous

apparently us in the UK will get to see this now. saw the ads the other day- can’t remember the times, but i think the first part is on BBC2 on Saturday evening, with the second following straight after on BBC Choice. might have a look, just to see if it really is that bad…

Anonymous

Me and Newkate are quite enjoying it. I guess after the bad publicity it got here, I’m not too hopeful of it blowing my mind, but we watch it on the BBC which means no advertisements and it seems ok so far.

I’m still waiting for the story to heat up a bit though ๐Ÿ™‚

From what you say I might have a long wait.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.