The Aeon Flux movie was okay.

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Animated Cult Sci Fi Γ†on Flux The Aeon Flux movie was okay.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

I liked what I saw. Based on what some have been saying, you’d think it’s the year’s biggest bomb. I don’t think it deserves that sort of criticism. Far from it. It’s certainly not an Oscar contender by a long shot. But it’s not a complete joke either.

If you liked Underworld, Resident Evil, The Matrix, Sin City and other recent flashy action movies featuring chicks with guns, then this movie is definitely for you. There’s no doubt about it. Go see it without a second thought.

If you’re not into these sorts of action movies I mentioned above, don’t bother.

The story, if I recall correctly, pretty much follows that of the cartoon show. The weird sci-fi style is up there on the screen. It’s very much true to the cartoon. I think they did a good job. They succeeded in their plan of translating the cartoon to the movie. What you got in the movie is what you got in the cartoon. The only thing missing from the movie is the animation style that made Aeon Flux so cool. As a fan of the cartoon, I can’t complain. The missing style is replaced with polished visuals and hard-edged action.

Thankfully, they didn’t resort to shakey-camera action all of the time. Only some of the time. Please, if there are any film makers out there reading this, please– just stop it already! Shakey, jerky camera movement doesn’t help the narration of an action movie. All it does is make the audience dizzy, cause seizures, and piss of amature critics like myself! Luckily, Aeon Flux doesn’t exclusively rely on this cheap technique. You can actually see the action and the choreography is not that bad.

I got what I paid for. Pretty chicks with guns doing cool-ass action. If you dig that sort of thing you will not be disappointed.

I read that some people had trouble following the plot or determining motivations or felt there was indeterminate character development. I did not have that sort of trouble. Perhaps because I was somewhat familiar with the basic premise of the story and I was used to the bizarre sci-fi happenings from the show. I had no problem keeping up with what was going on.

One special surprise for me was the appearance of Pete Postlethwaite. Anytime that guy shows up in a movie, it always makes it one notch cooler for me.

jkno
    Participant

you presented te movie pretty well! πŸ™‚

Anonymous

And based on that I went to see the film and was equally impressed. In fact I’d say it was one of the better Sci Fi flicks of 2005.

Thanks Flame.

Nick -Z.
    Participant

The only thing missing from the movie is the animation style that made Aeon Flux so cool. As a fan of the cartoon, I can’t complain. The missing style is replaced with polished visuals and hard-edged action.

I loved the animation, it was my favorite when it first aired on MTV ages ago in the early 90s. Haven’t seen the movie yet, dunno if I’d like it same as the cartoon.

I’m not really too big on all that real violence these days, had an overdose of it in the 80s and 90s that left me in my own nightmare loops. I’m more inclined to animate my way out of the mess than pay for a ticket into it. πŸ™‚

But as the saying went, Aeon Flux is way-cool! As an animator, I can appreciate the hard work that must have went into it as well as the excellent end-product.

As for the movie, i might say, “Too Real, Man!

lexxrobotech
    Participant

I really enjoyed it. I couldn’t care less what other people said about it.

I’ll get it on DVD.

and may I add…. DAMN Charlize is hot!

Anonymous

Me too, thoroughly enjoyed the movie and went to see it in the first place because I remembered how much Sad used to love the series.

Anonymous

Chic!!!

Nice to see you back, how the hell are you?!!!

Me ol’ mates Erith and Tribbs were asking after you and wondering where Cass and Morrow are these days too.

Nice to see yer still around and yeah!! I thought Aeon Flux was the best Sci Fi film of 2005! Not as good as the series, but you can’t have everything πŸ˜€

Anonymous

Hey cheeky! It’s you who has come back! We were trying to look at the site not so long ago and it seemed like it were no more, so I was mightily happy to see everything up and running again.
    Good to see the two of you looking so well in your podcasts πŸ™‚

Anyways, I’ve sent you an e with the rest of the news, I think I couldn’t submit because I wasn’t logged in. Oops *blushes*

mandara k
    Participant

The only problem with it, Frances McDormand. WHY?

It was a smidge thin if you are not a toon die-hard but Theron kicks it and well those exploding marbles do rock! And it’s slightly different in the fact of keeping us walled in and not chasing alien butt across the galaxy.

Look, I’m ready for sci-fi that isn’t in a ship, running from aliens and features a bridge with whiiring buttons and a chain of command.

I mean there is A LOT of sci-fi lreft untouched.

Totally my POV, of course.

Nick -Z.
    Participant

Well, I got a good deal on the DVD and saw it, and I retract my earlier doubts.

It was better than I expected it to be. I feared it would be just another sci-fi movie over-using violence and sensationalism to cater to the majority of dumbed-down idiots who drool over that stuff, but I was wrong.

It was actually quite excellent. There was a nice balance between the action and violence and the story-line, just the way a good sci-fi should be.

Don’t know how they managed to do such a great job with the set either, must’ve took millions to rent all that property. I will venture to predict that, if their budget permits it, we’ll see more of Aeon, if the world survives WW3.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Unlikely.

I heard CT on the radio here and they were teasing her about being the only Afrikaans sci-fi action/supehero and she said never again.

She wasn’t having a go at the movie, but that she wanted to something different, now it’s done it’s not likely to happen again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.