The end of The Big Bang?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums Science Faction The end of The Big Bang?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

i’ve heard whisperings of new ideas to describe the origins of the universe, that put an end to the Big Bang theory. i’m completely in the dark (!) about it. does anyone here know anything about this?

Anonymous

You mean Bogglers Solution? I think that’s what it’s called anyway. It was covered recently in Science and Discover. Here’s what I remember:

There’s no basis in science for his theories, he’s not even a scientist, he’s a real estate agent or something. However real scientists love his ideas because they stray from the norm.

The problem most scientists have is that The Big Bang is a theory with almost no basis in fact it’s just a “Best fit”, and most scientists have never bought into it because there’s too much evidence that directly contradicts it. Hawking once touted “Small Bangs” as an alternative and each scientist has their own pet theory, but the common thread is that all these solutions surround the same premise “Some sort of BANG”.

This new guy states that he believes all Universes are “Spill-overs” from previous Universes which co-exist with our own. Think of a giant chain of galaxy-sized Universes connected through Wormholes, and that’s his entire theory as far as I remember.

But regardless of his credentials, it’s gaining a lot of popularity, because it’s the first theory in a long time that makes sense without involving outdated concepts like the Bang Theories.

Anonymous

it’s certainly an interesting idea, LexxLurker. must admit, i’d come up with a similar concept myself (damn, there goes my Nobel prize-someone got there first!!!!). this is a solution that seems so simple. it would be interesting to see if the scientific community does run with it, or ends up dismissing it because one of their own didn’t come up with the idea in the first place ๐Ÿ˜•

Anonymous

or ends up dismissing it because one of their own didn’t come up with the idea in the first place

Yeap. That’s the most surprising thing about it’s rise in popularity.

But I think people in general were finally getting fed up with the whole Big Bang idea. When something isn’t factual and it still becomes generally accepted it’s always a bad thing. Until we get enough facts to figure it out, it’s best to keep a broad point of view.

To be honest I don’t really subscribe to any of the theories I’ve heard but I think they’re all interesting. It’s just one of those things too vast to contemplate. Then I go and read something like Hitchhikers Guide and begin to look at dolphins funny and start eating more tuna. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.