Too much Eye Candy?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hollydays
    Participant

I’ve noticed in the latest offerings of Sci-Fi-dom, that there is a lot of eye candy…especially in BSG. At one time most sci-fi characters (thanks mostly to Gene Roddenberry) were rather normal looking “every person” types. I think this was to assauge our egos that we could fit into that alternate universe.
    Do you think that sci-fi fans will change?
    Will this wreak havoc on our fragile Id?

aquabloodstone
    Participant

That’s the way it is in every genre of television and movie. Who’s the it person, what’s the latest look and hottest style. And of course sci-fi makers are going to jump on that bandwagon to try to bring it into the mainstream. Eye candy is great, but acting ability should factor into it somewhere, even if its the rest of the cast.

Sci-fi is a very unique genre, undefinable by most who watch it as evidenced by the discussion here on Sadgeezer.com. Making it mainstream will destroy its uniqueness. On the flip side of that coin, making it too inaccessible to the casual viewer will render it useless and unairable.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Well, it’s a bit of a catch 22 for me. I do think it helps to have a bit of eye candy here and there, sex does sell, but I also prefer it when characters are that much more ‘real’.

It’s a very thin line. I think Lexx is a good example of how to do it – Zev/Xev is offset by Stan.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.