UnCon – Should it move?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx UnCon – Should it move?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

There is a bit of a debate going around on another board that UnCon – the name, could and possibly should be moved to other Lexx Conventions in other cities or countries than Halifax, Canada.

For the record, I am not proposing this. I think UnCon is just fine where it is. And it is presently just talk… but I wondered what you all thought about it?

Anonymous

We could have it in my hometown of Charleston, West Virginia

Seriously, I really like Halifax and hope that if there are anymore UnCons they will be held there.

PS Ellen half-jokingly asked me when is the next sci-fi convention in Charleston. I think if she had the time and an invitation she actually would come to it. “UnCon WV” certainly would be one of the most interesting events to happen around here in a long time.

Anonymous

Personally, I’d be much more likely to get to an UnCon if it were a bit handier than Halifax. On the other hand, it seems like the big draw for Nova Scotia is to see the studio itself. If access to the studio remains available, perhaps it should stay in Halifax. I’d love to get to an UnCon one of these days, wherever it’s held!

Flamegrape
    Participant

I think it should stay in Halifax, if at all possible. It just seems right.

theFrey, I’d like to help out in any way with an UsCon in the USA in the future. Just thought I’d mention that…

theFrey
    Participant

Aww, that’s so sweet of you to offer. Well since you are coming along on the Recon Mission to Dragon Con at the end of the month, that will be a big help. I will be leaving on Sunday afternoon, so I will not be able to check out the costume contest ect… So any help on gathering info there is appreciated. We will need to scope the place out pretty good and see if it looks doable for the 2003 UScon. And if it does we need to gather information on the people we need to contact to get the Lexx Stars invited ect…

mandara k
    Participant

NOPE!!!!!!

Anonymous

I’ll throw my two cents in here, and hopefully not start a war.

UnCon is more or less synonymous with Halifax. Much like how most cons have a home city, and often venue from year to year.

All of the arguments I’ve heard for having “UnCon” in another location have used the argument that UnCon is about the fans and not an official event. But they never can answer why they want to have “UnCon” as opposed to BerLexx or whatever name and have it be the same kind of event. It seems to em they want the UnCon name to lend some “legitimacy” to their convention.

In short, all the arguing over the name is pretty silly, since that’s what the argument is over. A Lexx con in Europe will not have much attendee overlap with a Lexx con in North America. Hell, cons on opposite ends of North America won’t have much of an overlap. Sharing names would just cause confusion.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by stormsweeper:
    In short, all the arguing over the name is pretty silly, since that’s what the argument is over. A Lexx con in Europe will not have much attendee overlap with a Lexx con in North America. Hell, cons on opposite ends of North America won’t have much of an overlap. Sharing names would just cause confusion.

I agree completely. I’ll go even go so far as to ask the musical question, “who cares if there *is* attentdee overlap?” What difference should that make? There was a time when I’d go to 3 or 4 sci-fi conventions a year, and I never thought once that they should all share the same name. Hell, even when I was helping to organize one convention that was associated with a larger one that took place later in the year (in a neighboring large city), coming up with an original name for our convention was never questioned. It wasn’t the same convention, it wasn’t in the same place, it may have had a large number of the same attendees, but it was its own entity. It needed its own name.

–Aleck

mandara k
    Participant

I gotta agree with sweeps on this one. I think if it’s a group of peeps getting together, enjoying themselves, etc…. call it what you like; people will attend if they want to.

Shakespeare says it best “What’s in A name?

If it sparks your creativity, allows you to meet old friends, make new ones, drink heavily if you want, etc…
    So party on and send pics

theFrey
    Participant

Well, I do know there are a few conventions that move around the country. But these are the HUDGE trade shows, that have a ton of publicity and state their locations years in advance. It happens, but it is pretty rare. And they are almost always set up as moving conventions from the get go.

Besides, based on the response I received as a newbie, I would say that the UnCon name will always mean Halifax for most of Lexxdom.

FX
    Participant

i think halifax deserves to have something that is associated solely with it; they should get some recognition for being the birthplace/womb/whatever of lexx

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.