UScon Dragon Con Hotel Flash!!!

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Conventions UScon Dragon Con Hotel Flash!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    theFrey
    Participant

The Atlanta Marriott Marquis is already booked solid. I was still able to book at the Hyatt for $148.00 for a double.

I will keep checking at the Marriott Marquis since it is a very pretty hotel that is very guest freindly, but it is not as lively in the evenings as the Hyatt.

For Dragon Con 2002 some rooms started breaking loose the last week or so before the convention. BUT… if you are the kind of person who like to KNOW that they have confirmed ressies at the main hotel…. now may be the time to book.

Midori
    Participant

Frey.. are the prices night by night? coz ill be in a carboard box if so… Since i dont know anything about this convention nor the area.. i could use alot of help.. please email me with all the nes. info.. ike where i can get pre tickets etc..
    id really appreciate it..
    thnks

Midori

theFrey
    Participant

Yes they are per night. I have a list of last years over flow hotels and the prices that they were for last year on the UScon site.

Now there are lots of other hotels in Atlanta, and depending on how you get there your choice can differ wildly. If you have a car, you can go further out and get better prices. BUT…. when you get the better price, do not forget to factor in the parking or inconvenience fare.

Parking at the hotel was 14.00 a day I think, with no in and out privileges. But still, convenient if you want to have a trunk near by to stash stuff in. Flame can tell you about the out lying parking, most of which was about two blocks away I think. Not quite so convenient for stashing your stuff or purchases, but still workable.

We flew, and the added expense of staying at the main motel was offset by our not having to rent a car or pay parking. Believe me…. you do not need a car if you are at the main hotel. There is so much going on that you won’t have time to go anywhere else.

Also the mall which abuts both main hotels has a train station in it. Now if I could just figure out what line and stop it is… I would save my self the 12.00 per person air taxi fee to the hotel. I am round and don’t walk much… but even so, the train stop is close enough (and all my luggage has wheels) that I will be taking it next year for $2.00… baggage and all.

Now this is weird….the train station stop in Atlanta is closer to the Hyatt than the self parking was to the main desk at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. How is that for convenient?

Oh yeah… There was a con shuttle going to the overflow hotels last year…. but right at this minute there is no guarentee that they will be the same as last year. Most likely they will…. but not carved in stone yet.
    http://www.thefrey.com/UsCon.htm

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Frey & Fellow Lexxians,
    If any of you, who are planning to go to next yr’s Dragon*Con, I wouldn’t mind roomming with any of you who are going to be in either the Hyatt or the Marriott’s; I wouldn’t mind sharing a room with someone who’d be in Days Inn either.
    I’m in agreement with you, Frey, you don’t really need a car, if you’re planning your Atlanta trip around the convention; all you need is your 2 feet & a way you go. Also, Frey, please let me know of anything else about either Atlanta or Dragon*Con that you can think of.
    Take care & have a great Fall.

Lexxians Unite,
    Jhevz

GivingYouTheFinger
    Participant

And those prices are discounted!?!? Geez hotels are hella expensive. If me and my little clan go for more than just one day this year, I think we’ll stay at a nearby hotel, its close enough, and a hell of a lot cheaper…which, saving money while at DragonCon is always a good thing, as there are plenty of kool things in the Dealer Room to blow your $$$ on.

Anonymous

Staying on site is the way to go, and there are ways to shave the cost! We stayed at the Hyatt, as did frey, and our room had one King bed, a small couch, and enough floor space for 4 sleeping bags. Six (compatable, of course) people-$24/night-do the math! And last year, they were so anxious to clear out the wild crowds they offered a $50.00 discount if you checked out before 9:00 a.m! The maids never clean under the beds, sleeping bags, etc. could be stored during the day.Everything is so chaotic round the clock that this could easily be done!
    A note on booking- if you book early, take as many nights as you can-it is much easier to drop nights from your reservation, than it is to try and reserve a room for one night.They hold everything on one nights rate, anyway. B.T.W., The Marriott is still available if you want an executive suite for $300.+ per night. Their regular rooms (a block of 100) have been reserved for the “guests”, so that is where any Lexx cast or crew would be staying should the choose to attend (in the likely case they would be invited!) Oh, we managed to get in The Marriott this time-The Hyatt was a bit too much for my significant other!
    The other hotels all seemed pretty close, too. I’m only lobbying for The Hyatt because it’s nice to run upstairs and use the bathroom,or go take a nap(let’s say, at midnight) and jump back into the action around 2 a.m. or so! The bands were fantastic
    and the d.j’d dances were alot of fun, and very well attended considering they didn’t start until 2:30-3:00 a.m. All fun, all night, all day, all there. For a $40.00 advance ticket(which covers the entire con) you can’t beat it! A day pass alone, costs $30.00!!! It is a very good time…the more, the merrier! T_T

Midori
    Participant

Id definatley be intrested in bunking up with a few people..Im most likely going to drive up there seeing as its relativley close. I just want to be near all the action and be abble to bounce up to my room when needed etc. that or i can sleep in the car.. hee hee..

M

Anonymous

Midori, if nothing else try to get a room at the Hyatt at least for Saturday night. True, the highlight of the Con is Sunday night, being The Masquerade Ball, as they call it. It’s the official costume contest, with a couple thousand spectators seated in two rooms, and contestants appearing on a stage for viewing/judging by a celebrity panel. But shortly after that was over, the entire place seemed to empty out. On Saturday, though, everyone is in full costume
    early for The Costume Parade, and they stay in full costume all day/night! It seemed to me that some of the rowdiest and most exciting forums and gatherings were on Saturday night(the Lexx forum included!)and everyone is looking forward to the big event the next night, but really, really, enjoying themselves in the meantime.Saturday night was also when they hold the Dawn look-alike costume party, with a thousand dollar first prize! That is also an extremely popular event! Saturday was as packed at 3:00 a.m. as it was mid-afternoon. Of all the days it would be the one where you wouldn’t want to have far to go to catch some rest. I will say even if you don’t have a room, there were plenty of out of the way, comfy seating arrangements for low-key conversation, or just a little peace and quiet.But security wasn’t tolerating people falling asleep on them…did see a few people booted off for dozing off…. Once again I will say, you could easily never leave the hotel complex. They even provide limited food and drink(complimentary) at the Consuite (if you like coffee, cheesecake, and oh,yeah, Spam!!!!

Midori
    Participant

Does it cost money to reserve a room?? if not ill do it imediatly!! any one know where i can grab the numbers for the place??

Midori

Anonymous

Midori, you really need to spend time browsing frey’s site…everything you want to know(and then some!) is all there! Here’s the number to the Hyatt:404-577-1234 Call them direct, make sure you tell them it’s for Dragon Con, and ask them when they actually charge your credit card with the deposit. Making reservations now, this early, I’m not sure how they will handle it. The Marriott already billed our AMX held reservation deposit(greedy *******s!) Also, rates were $144 single/double $154 triple, don’t remember quad( check frey’s site or ask the hotel.) Good Luck! Hope to see your name on the “positively attending list” soon!!!! T_T

Anonymous

Did you get your tickets yet? That number is 770-909-0115. They accept Visa/MasterCard .
    You need to know that the “tickets” are individual memberships, assigned to you and you alone. You will need a photo I.D. at registration to pick them up. If you have purchased tickets and can’t go, you can sell/give them to someone else( they call it a transfer of membership, and a $10.00 penalty fee is involved…along with a wait in a very long line.)But at least you are able to recoup your investment, if you can find someone to sell the tickets to. And when the tix are going for $75.00 each, I DON’T think you’d have a prob selling yours for $40.00. Most of us paid the $75.00…(Ouch!) T_T

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.