Welcome (Part Ducks)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Last… ‘welc..ome’ …threa..d … tooo… big…. serve..r… collaps..ing… need… to start… a… ne………

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    Last… ‘welc..ome’ …threa..d … tooo… big

‘part ducks’? groan…

just as i was in the middle of a reply…oh well

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

‘part ducks’? groan…

just as i was in the middle of a reply…oh well

Aww. I knew I’d get someone. šŸ™ Replies were hitting that thread thick and fast. If I didn’t close it badsadboard stuff might have happened.

Sorry sweety, hope you didn’t lose too much wordage

Anonymous

Just a few more thoughts on this. This whole thing has just gotten way out of control. Personally, I just came here to discuss Lexx. Neither myself, nor anyone else from APEC ever mentioned anything about APEC or clone fic here. It was instead brought up time and time again by disgruntled people who no longer post at SciFi. I totally fail to see why it should even be an issue here at Sad’s. The two boards are separate entities, and what happens on one should have no impact on the other.

The SciFi BB has always been fic intensive, and some new peeps that come on like it, and join in. Others post asking about where to find out more about Lexx, and we kindly point them to Sad’s and other good Lexx links.

For me, I’m having a problem with how this seems to have turned into a “let’s bash SciFi and APEC” thread. I mean, why should what happens on another BB even be an issue! And apparently some peeps just can’t let it rest. It seems Vyx or Gelfling, as she is known by here, has taken it on herself to post private emails to the SciFi BB in an effort to stir up trouble. This whole thing is so out of hand. Oh, and she also posted a nice, profanity-laden flame to me personally, in another post. Says a lot about her character, or lack thereof.

Can we please just end this, and go back to discussing Lexx?

[ 19-11-2001: Message edited by: Doffy ]

Anonymous

I understand Doffy,

However, I think that a few people still want to air their feelings and to be honest, I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

Sometimes I see people post messages that are a little too angry. Other times I see messages that are posted with items which are taken out of context and brought up again and again.

As far as I am concerned, the whole APEC thing is old news, but I have to say that I’ve learned a LOT about fanfic, who’s involved, where it is posted, and who hates it since the discussion started.

The fact is, some members of the board are feeling agrieved that things are said about thier views, posts or feelings concerning APEC and they want to vent those feelings and in their words clarify the situation (I know you know all this, I’m just repeating it for the newby’s that maybe wondering what all this is about).

It’s ok to continue the discussion in this forum because that’s one of the reasons that it was set up in the first place. Believe me, there are lots of other angst topics that will surface in the future.

To be honest Doffy, I don’t see why you would want it to end. Most of the visitors to the board don’t lash out at Sci Fi or APEC. Most of the ill feeling has come from a couple of dissgruntled scifi posters and a couple of lurkers who just decided to post a a message or two in the hope of winding people up.

And then we have posters like the excellent elfie who says some really windy-up stuff and the adds an LoL at the end. It makes me smile, but it’ll insence some of the hotheads.

This forum isn’t just for the people who want to vent angst, it’s also for people such as yourself, who want to answer questions and calm things down.

(Just for the record, and for other readers of this thread. This SadGeezers is not opposed to fanfic (in any form) and once offered to host a forum especially for APEC (their own place moderated by themselves). It was gracefully declined because (quite rightly) there are pleanty of other recognised BBS’s and places where fanfic is posted. Much of the trouble started when one or two regular posters to this BBS noted that some APEC members were posting articles to SadBoard. They wrongly considered (so far at least) that APEC would takeover the SadBOARD and begin ‘posting fanfic all over the place and ruining threads and discussions’. Such conclusions were unfounded and are almost impossible! This heated discussion therefore began on an incorreect premise and could (by many people) be considered unfare to APEC members or those fans of scifi BBS).

Anonymous

Let me just add one more thing:

Maya:

“The fact that you continuosly allow him to vent his searing hatred on this board is beyond me, he has been kicked off many other boards for this same behaviour.”

Um.. no I haven’t. I only post here and I used to post on SciFi, 2 boards hardly qualifies as “many”. I have been booted off neither by the way. “Same behavior”.. right. But thank you for the kind words as always

dgrequeen
    Participant

Um… part ducks? Are those like those cement geese people put on their porches and dress up in little dresses? (Americans will know what I’m talking about).

Anonymous

Er, um… I’ve been trying to lobby for this, but– uh– it seems that the fan fiction folk are happy where they are at the SciFi.Com/Lexx bulletin board. They are concerned that if they did not regularly post fan fiction there they would drastically lose membership involvement.

Perhaps part of that is because they like all of this general hubbub and attention, negative and otherwise, from persons outside their group? It would make more sense to annex what they do off somewhere else, where not only will it not be disruptive to anyone else but where they could conduct their RPG in peace.

Incidentally, it’s not that expensive to run a small website with small bandwidth requirements.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by …:

quote:

Originally posted by Doffy:
    This whole thing has just gotten way out of control. Personally, I just came here to discuss Lexx. Neither myself, nor anyone else from APEC ever mentioned anything about APEC or clone fic here. It was instead brought up time and time again by disgruntled people who no longer post at SciFi. I totally fail to see why it should even be an issue here at Sadā€™s. The two boards are separate entities, and what happens on one should have no impact on the other.

Okay, you need to understand how many of us discovered the SadBoard and why we frequent the place. First we went to the de facto official Lexx bulletin board at SciFi.Com/Lexx. That bulletin board system was found to be lacking by many of us. After some internet searching (usually from Lexx.Com to Sparkla’s links page) we found SadGeezer.Com and it’s much more agreeable bulletin board system. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that most all of the Lexx fans who post here found the SciFi.Com/Lexx bulletin board first. This is precisely how one board directly impacts another.[/b] If the SciFi.Com/Lexx bulletin board was up to par, then the chances of Lexx fans finding SadGeezer.Com would be less likely and the number of posts in the Lexx (General) Forum would not be in the 5,000-range.

quote:

The SciFi BB has always been fic intensive…

Thank you for admitting that.

quote:

…and some new peeps that come on like it, and join in. Others post asking about where to find out more about Lexx, and we kindly point them to Sadā€™s and other good Lexx links.

Again, this is how the one board impacts the other.

quote:

For me, Iā€™m having a problem with how this seems to have turned into a ā€œletā€™s bash SciFi and APECā€ thread.

That is only partially correct. Gelfling and X (and maybe one or two others?) clearly despise APEC. Everyone else does not hate APEC and you gals must understand this now. Although I do not read fan fiction, I fully support it in all it’s banal glory. I would like to find a good solution to this issue for reasons I’ve already stated in the previous thread.

quote:

I mean, why should what happens on another BB even be an issue!

Okay, you need to understand how many of us discovered the SadBoard and why we frequent… oh wait, I’ve already explained this before….

quote:

It seems Vyx or Gelfling, as she is known by here, has taken it on herself to post private emails to the SciFi BB in an effort to stir up trouble.

Gelfling is vyX? How did you figure that? Very interesting. Anyway, it’s her perogative to take a course of action she deems necessary. If she had not writen emails to SciFi.Com, then I would have recommended it instead of (and not in addition to) posting insults. Slander never helps your case.

quote:

Well, with all due respect, no.

quote:

As far as I am concerned, the whole APEC thing is old news, but I have to say that I’ve learned a LOT about fanfic, who’s involved, where it is posted, and who hates it since the discussion started.

Ditto.

quote:

To be honest Doffy, I don’t see why you would want it to end.

I’d like to go out on a limb and say something. I suspect that APEC and their authors are concerned that they might be unceremoniously expelled from the SciFi.Com/Lexx bulletin board. If enought people complain, then maybe SciFi.Com will ban all fan fiction on all their bulletin boards.

But the simple reason is no one likes to be criticised. I am doing my very best to provide constructive criticism for all parties involved.

quote:

Most of the visitors to the board don’t lash out at Sci Fi or APEC.

I don’t lash out at APEC, but I lash out at SciFi… with a bullwhip!
    [Pulls out bullwhip.]
    *crack* Take that, SciFi.Com! *crack* And that! *crack* Stupid out-dated bulletin board system! *crack* Dumb pop-up ads! *crack*

quote:

Originally posted by MelodikSyn:
    Perhaps part of that is because they like all of this general hubbub and attention, negative and otherwise, from persons outside their group? It would make more sense to annex what they do off somewhere else, where not only will it not be disruptive to anyone else but where they could conduct their RPG in peace.

Incidentally, it’s not that expensive to run a small website with small bandwidth requirements.

I agree completely. Websites are free. Bulletin boards are free. They’re not pretty and they have pop-up ads, but that’s not a real hinderance. If these places already exist for fan fic writers, then they should move their center of activity away from bulletin boards that do not focus on that activity. I’m trying to phrase this in the most agreeable way as possible. If you fan fiction authors need help in establishing a new website or bulletin board, then people can provided it, especially from your own numbers (50 or more members, one of you said?).

To phrase it in a less agreeable way, you guys are abusing an unregulated bulletin board for your own amusement at the expense of others who would just like to use it as a forum of discussion. The publication of fan fiction is not the intended use of bulletin board systems. To say that it’s alright because no one at SciFi.Com has stopped you is not helpful. You can’t pass the blame onto someone who does not exist. This is because there are no moderators at the SciFi.Com bulletin boards.

And again I must point out that since there is no bulletin board at Lexx.Com, the board at SciFi.Com/Lexx is the de facto official Lexx bulletin board. No one is in charge over there. And since no one has executive authority there, we have little recourse than to ask nicely.

[ 19-11-2001: Message edited by: Flamegrape ]

Anonymous

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Well, with all due respect, no.

Let me add that a reason why the answer is no, is that this thread is not occurring in a LEXX forum. It’s a thread in a General SciFi forum, which has been set up for open debate on whatever sci-fi related topic is at hand. If you want to discuss LEXX, by all means, do. The appropriate forum for that discussion is located below this on the SadBoard’s front page.

–Aleck

Anonymous

i like “Part Ducks”!!! it made me laugh, hehehe.
    i am obviously easily entertained!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.