What do you do if your partner doesnt like sci fi?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi General Sci Fi Stuff What do you do if your partner doesnt like sci fi?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I need help on this one.
    All the best sci fi shows are on either Sky1 or sci fi channel, but my wife always switches over to QV bloody C.
    Dont get me wrong, I used to switch back, but she’d then storm off in a huff and wouldnt talk to me for the rest of the night. So now I leave it on the shopping channel just to keep the peace.
    I have tried to convert her. Over the years she has seen nearly as much sci fi as me.
    Stargate SG1, Earth-Final Conflict, Lexx, 1st Wave, Star trek TNG,DS9,VOY, Andromeda, Babylon 5, Dark Angel, Buffy and Angel.
    The only show she does enjoy is Roswell. I’ve even bought her a ticket for the Voyager convention at the end of the month, but she would still rather watch some boring presenter talk for hours at a time on the subject of rolling pins or something.
    What can I do?

——————
    I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Replicant Roy Batty in Bladerunner.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by dodgydaz:
    I need help on this one.
    All the best sci fi shows are on either Sky1 or sci fi channel, but my wife always switches over to QV bloody C.
    Dont get me wrong, I used to switch back, but she’d then storm off in a huff and wouldnt talk to me for the rest of the night.

wife huh? so much for YOUR big sloppy kiss!
    all seriousness aside, could you consider getting a second tv to indulge yourself with?( i have heard you are taxed on tvs in uk, so i don’t know if that is financially feasible;here of course people have phones and tvs in every room so that they never have to interact with family members!) personally,i cannot understand watching the shopping channel either, but you have to keep peace in the household…i mean, some people just aren’t into scifi no matter how much you try to convert them…just make sure you take some time to do the things you do like to do together

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    wife huh? so much for YOUR big sloppy kiss!

My wife wont mind. She is very open minded.

We’ve got 3 tv’s but only 1 cable box so I can only watch sci fi on the main tv.
    The thing is, if I watch a rerun of SG1 or Voyager, in the first minute she will say “I’ve seen this already” and proceed to tell me whats going to happen.
    I sometimes work funny hours and think that maybe she does watch sci fi when Im not there. Does this mean that she is a ‘closet’ sci fi nut and probably ashamed of this fact.
    I cant figure it out. But then again thats women for ya. No offence intended.

——————
    I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Replicant Roy Batty in Bladerunner.

Anonymous

Anonymous

I had a friend who didn’t like sci-fi…we’d never watch it and if I talked about it she’d get annoyed…now she’s more into it than she used to be. I think sometimes people just assume sci-fi is all gizmos and aliens and special effects, and don’t realize that there are stories and emotions and characters we care about…maybe your wife just needs to be more open minded.

——————
    Gideon: I thought you said you don’t hold a grudge.
    Galen: I don’t. I have no living enemies. At all.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by dodgydaz:
    My wife wont mind. She is very open minded.

heard that before

We’ve got 3 tv’s but only 1 cable box so I can only watch sci fi on the main tv.

well, that is more than half the battle, can’t you just use a splitter? degrades the signal but at least while she watchs shopping network, you can cruise the scifi…or can you tape your shows while she watchs whatever, then you can watch your shows at your odd hours on the other tv? there are systems that allow you to do that,might be worth saving up for!

The thing is, if I watch a rerun of SG1 or Voyager, in the first minute she will say “I’ve seen this already” and proceed to tell me whats going to happen.
    I sometimes work funny hours and think that maybe she does watch sci fi when Im not there. Does this mean that she is a ‘closet’ sci fi nut and probably ashamed of this fact.
    I cant figure it out. But then again thats women for ya. No offence intended.

none taken i think that women are supposed to be unpredictable and annoying, at least my male friends seem to favor women who are;it has something to do with survival mechanism for those gene pools… besides, men can sit and bitch about it to their other browbeaten male friends, thus fostering a sense of community and keeping society bumping along

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.