Which is best, the Movie or the series?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Stargate SG-1 Which is best, the Movie or the series?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Personally I prefer the series, but the movie comes a close second (what let it down was the over use of testosterone (for me, that always ruins any serious attempt at realism)).

What do you think?

Headgehog
    Participant

Both are great. The movie is much more realistic and over all believable. The series started off the same way. Sure they din’t play on the language barrier as much and Daniel’s allergy problem, but it was a great extension to the movie and even better then the movie itself.
    The latest seasons don’t just concentrate on the G’ould arc any more and the show has grown. But imho it deviates a little to much occasionally.
    If I had to pick one I’d have to pick the series. Its expanded on a great movie and the humor is better.

Anonymous

I much prefer the series… I think that making it longer and more involved was a great idea. The new cultures are good, and the development of the characters is one of my favourite parts. Plus, the characters in the series are much more attractive!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Yvonne McGruder:
    Plus, the characters in the series are much more attractive!

I’d disagree. I actually preferred Daniel Jackson as a bumbling bookworm and Jack O’Neil as the terminally grim field commander.

Anonymous

could someone please refresh my memory? i know kurt russell played jack o’neil and james spader played daniel jackson, but it has been along time since i have seen the movie and i can’t remember if there was a samantha carter or tealc in it. and was don davis in it as general hammond? and i think that jay avacone (?spelling) was in the movie and the series.

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mary beth:
    i can’t remember if there was a samantha carter or tealc in it. and was don davis in it as general hammond?

Gen Hammond, Sam Carter and Teal’c weren’t in the movie. I’m going to get back to you on Jay Avacone.

Headgehog
    Participant

The original message was deleted to fix an incorrect time stamp
    Originally posted by Hana:

The series without a doubt is better. It is funnier more exciting and the cast is definitely better looking. It is a lot sexier, what with all that sexual chemistry going on.

Headgehog
    Participant

Originally posted by mary beth:
    BTW i really like the series better probably because there is more of it. i usually like the movies. but it is hard to get involved with something that only last 2 hours. i need more!!!!

Headgehog
    Participant

Originally posted by Squish-ums:
    I think that had there been sequels to the movie, we might all be singing a different tune!!!
    SG-1 got to take an interesting idea to another level, and did a fine job doing so.
    But, yeah, the series does win this battle in my view, the characters in the movie was kinda set up to make it seem that the Stargate would never be used again, and that the intention was never to make a sequel.
    SG-1 really deserves credit aside from the movie, it really might as well be called the beginning of the Stargate adventures, and you might as well scrub the movie.
    Looking back, it seems that SG-1 and the movie have little in common, apart from the character names, it’s kinda like comparing Independance Day to Star Wars!!!
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Headgehog:
    … Looking back, it seems that SG-1 and the movie have little in common, apart from the character names, it’s kinda like comparing Independance Day to Star Wars!!!
    Squishy

They also had the Theme music in common. I think the SG-1 Theme music is bloody marvelous! One of the best sci fi music themes on TV!

Headgehog
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    I think the SG-1 Theme music is bloody marvelous! One of the best sci fi music themes on TV!

Yes it is the same music for both the series and show. Ditto on it being a great (the best) scifi balad, and overall being a great song.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the only actor common to the film and the series was Skaara.

Anonymous

I just recently got into the series and I have to say it is far more interesting than the movie. Pardon me if you all scream at me but I found the SG movie boreing but the series has far more depth and not to mention Richard Deen Anderson is ten times the actor Kurt Russel is.

-SM

Anonymous

You have to remember, you can’t attack the egg because you prefer the chickin. To be fair, the series did expand on a great film and can do things that the film couldn’t but a continuity error. Why did Ra, the suprime system lord who must have had many planets use humans and the others use J’affa. I guess although they make the series interesting, it creates a strange mind boggling puzzle.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Kai:
    You have to remember, you can’t attack the egg because you prefer the chickin. To be fair, the series did expand on a great film and can do things that the film couldn’t but a continuity error. Why did Ra, the suprime system lord who must have had many planets use humans and the others use J’affa. I guess although they make the series interesting, it creates a strange mind boggling puzzle.

If I remember correctly the J’affa are human and were taken from earth, and then settled in different areas of the galaxy.
    Squishy

Anonymous

Series. Without a doubt, the series was better. Daniel was cuter, for one thing, and they also expanded the show.
    Besides, the movie bored me to death! I can’t believe I waited EIGHT YEARS before I was able to see what I thought would be an interesting sci-fi movie… only to discover that it was really boring!
    And, the series just grew out of the whole G’ould thing and expanded, and it’s great.

Anonymous

hay smratarse2002,
    I have a alot to say about this topic.
    The movie started the series and the series was the brith of Sam and tel’c so be thankful of the movie [you smartarse]

IF anyone has somthig to say, now is the time to say it’acchhhoooo’
    jack and danial
    stargate[movie]

Anonymous

You can’t deny the movie was boring.

crusader
    Participant

Boring? I would think thats the last thing that comes to mind when I think about the movie!

“it’s kinda like comparing Independance Day to Star Wars!!!”

I think I’d ratter say “it’s kinda like comparing Independance Day to “V”!!!
    Independance Day and Star Wars are to long apart! Independance Day and “V” is about the same thing just in a difrent way!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Smartass 2002:
    You can’t deny the movie was boring.

Believe me I don’t deny that fact. The movie was kind of boreing. I definitly love the series far and away more.

-SM

PS: Richard Dean Anderson for president!

Anonymous

the series!!! love richard dean anderson-his humour, the way he reaacts to things. not doing bad for his age, either..
    whereas on the other hand, kurt russel is a bit of a k***sock..

Anonymous

The film was OK. I’d watch it again the next time it’s shown on TV. The series takes the basic idea and runs a marathon with it. (IMNSHO, it’s better, because it puts flesh on the bones.) Does any UK viewer know which series we’ve just seen the end of on Channel 4 – it was one of those 2-part cliffhangers? Looking forward to its return in April.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.