R.I.P. Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Other Forums The Pub R.I.P. Ronald Reagan 1911-2004

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    pinhead
    Participant

Just found out that Ronald Reagan has passed away ๐Ÿ˜ฅ Let’s all say a fond farwell to the Gipper ๐Ÿ™‚

theFrey
    Participant

Actually I have many things that I would like to say, but the man is dead. He and his family suffered for many years before he died and no matter how I feel about his presidency, I would not wish those last few years on anyone.

Big_Green_Beid
    Participant

I’m a little late getting here due to vacation, but the Lexx Dot Commers should know by now that I’m a Reagan fan. (My avatar should still be Reagan, if the site ever comes back)I don’t have a gift for words, so I usually keep something like this very very short. Reagan, in my mind and that of many others, was a marvelous person. It is a true pity that his last years were spent in such a condition. I have seen alzheimers in others, and it is a sad way to live.

Overall, a true champion of freedom. I cannot do the man justice with my words, so I leave that up to the pros, everyone from Maggie to Gorby have praised him. Some may have had their disagreements, and many with idealogical differences, but they recognise the greatness in the man.

Flamegrape
    Participant

B.I.H.

streudel
    Participant

Most people that know me know I am loathe to discuss politics, so I won’t. I can only say how sad it is for someone to lead such a remarkable life, and yet be deprived of reflecting on it in his waning years. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his politics, you have to admit he did lead an extraordinary life. No one will ever likely have the resume this guy did, good and bad spots included. I can’t tell you how sad it makes me that anyone should see the tapestry of their life unraveled, that they should be robbed of the comfort of knowing their loved ones. No one deserves that kind of suffering.

I commend Mrs.Reagan on her advocacy of stem cell research. Hopefully one day diseases such as this one that rob one of independence and quality of life will be eradicated by the results of stem cell research. It would make a fine legacy for Mr.Reagan if the publicity generated by his unfortunate suffering helped in some way to bring about a cure.

My sincerest condolences go out to his family. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Deathscythehell
    Participant

im far left wing…. but whether democrat or republican, when a president…a great leader dies, it is a truly sad day

DarkDragonDave
    Participant

My grandmother suffers from the same condition, so I know the feeling.

I don’t know what else to say that hasn’t already been said. ๐Ÿ™

theFrey
    Participant

I got this in my email this evening from a newsletter I subscribe to.

President Ronald Reagan’s elaborate funeral this week is already
    triggering responses from those who remember his place in history
    differently from the eulogies.

For union members, there can be little doubt that Reagan, a former
    president of the Screen Actors Guild, behaved as anything but a
    union supporter in his political life. The PATCO firing remains a
    watershed event that many see as the trigger for an era of
    declining union membership.

But remarkably enough, the problems the union movement faces from the White House are even worse now than they were under Reagan.

I was reared not to speak ill of the dead, and I will acknowledge
    that in the political arena, Reagan’s style made up for significant
    deficits of substance. Reagan’s sense of humor and ability to tell
    a joke were not exceeded by any other president in my lifetime, and only President Bill Clinton was comparable in the ability to speak to an audience in a way that truly touches them.

Former Sen. Bob Dole’s column on Reagan in today’s New York Times touched on another aspect of style that resonates for those of us who in many instances believe in the opposite of what he stood for:

“Later (Reagan) taught me about compromise: he would rather get 80 percent and go back for the rest later than go home with nothing. Eighty percent was a pretty good deal. He taught me that success is never final nor defeat fatal, as long as you have the courage to act on principle and take the heat. Reagan knew that sometimes you win by losing if you stand firm for what is right.”

El_Coul
    Participant

lol, Flamegrape, compassionate and warm as ever. ๐Ÿ˜†

Thanks for sharing that email theFrey… very insightful.

Deathscythehell
    Participant

my grandfather is also surrering from alzheimers, i dident want to mention it before, its one of the hardest things to go through, and he’s not even in the worst stages of it yet. but the thing is that he also has very bad hearing, and because of the alzheimers, he always forgets to put in his hearing aids

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.