Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Flamegrape
    Participant

I might try to see Matrix Reloaded tomorrow. I’ll ask my friends to see if they want to do it.

A -DM
    Participant
    ”mandara wrote:

Yup, I’m giving into the hype and getting pumped for Matrix Reload. I’ve been waiting for months for this one… now it’s almost here. Sure Neo and Trini are good but Morfeus is fine.

I saw XMen X2, it was entertaining, may be even better than the first; but mousseing Hugh Jackman’s hair for those little horns should be a crime against humanity’s good looks. I can’t believe they are already doing the third…. is there no originality happening in Tinsel town? I know it’s about bucks there but holy crap! Let’s just beat an idea until it’s dead or doesn’t create revenue; the good old fashion American way. ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Of course they’re doing a third, the X-men universe is massive and you can’t fit the whole idea into two films, heck it’s story has only just begun, there are so many more characters to be seen and thirtys years of comic book history to recreate, the whole idea is too make the films like the comics, ie everyone waiting too see what happens in the next installment.
    It could take up to 10 or more films for the X-men story to reach a crescendo, this is obviously what Marvel have planned for both X-Men, Spiderman and the Hulk, it won’t be like the Superman movies in that in each film a new story is introduced that doesn’t link too the previous ones, Marvel want their characters to evolve on film and it is Marvel that have the control to ensure this happens. They know how the minds of comic book fans work, each story is a progression of the last, and that’s how the movies are approaching it. So it’s not a case of being unoriginal at all, it’s what the fans want, for instance how could you expect to tell the story of Lord of the Rings if you decided to stop at the The Two Towers?, same goes for X-men, so much more story to come, the emergence of Phoenix, the Sentinels, Hank McCoy and Gambit and even Apocalypse just to begin with, there is a wealth of new stories direct from the comic books that need to be added.
    ADM

Anonymous
    ”mandara wrote:

Sure Neo and Trini are good

๐Ÿ˜€ AGREED!!! Actually, haven’t seen it yet but it opened at midnight last night here in Chicago, and I just happened to be in the loop at the time…many long lean leather trenchcoats (it was cold & rainy) but the fans were having a terrific time waiting in line at the theaters. It was definitely a party atmosphere and the place to be! From the looks of last nights crowd the movie could’ve sucked and they’d still love it! But of course it didn’t, wouldn’t have, couldn’t have…could it? (Nah, no way!)
    We’re gonna see it Friday night…entrenched in leather, of course! ๐Ÿ˜‰

mandara k
    Participant

So, did anyone see Reloaded yet? It looks like the weekend is when I’ll hit it.

Sorry, ADM, I’m a regular consumer not much in the comic book genre; I hope those that like comic books get a long run of their fav characters on screen; I just like to temper my suspensions from reality different than most peeps.

Yeah, bring on the leather trench and cat suit. Trini should take a pic and show it to the rest of us. “Please share it with the rest of the class, Missy.” I would be more like the “Oracle” but I do have a long leather coat.

I loved the line “There is no spoon.”

Anonymous

Hope nobody minds, Mandara K – I’m going to move this to the General Sci Fi Forum and add a Poll.

mandara k
    Participant

Sure go ahead use me, abuse me but leave me a friendly President when you leave dearie ๐Ÿ˜‰

I saw the movie but I cannot talk about it right now since I’m feeling ill; ๐Ÿ˜ฅ but be sure to talk amongst yourselves.

mandara k
    Participant

Okay, the only 2 things I will say are given to me by my brother and they were ” What they put in that cake, Rupees?”And “I don’t know any guy who wouldn’t like to write code like that.” ๐Ÿ˜‰

Flamegrape
    Participant

I heard that National Public radio gave it a poor review. I haven’t seen it yet.

mandara k
    Participant

Okay, the only 2 things I will say are given to me by my brother and they were ” What they put in that cake, Rufee’s?”sAnd “I don’t know any guy who wouldn’t like to write code like that.” ๐Ÿ˜‰

Flamegrape
    Participant

Okay, me and Tennessee Tim are going to go see it this afternoon. I’ll let you know what I think without spoiling it for anyone.

lizard
    Participant

I saw it last night. I liked it right up until the “end”, then I felt a bit cheated. Agent smith is great. The special FX and fight scenes are good. I liked the plot of the original better, because it had more mystery. On the whole I would recommend seeing it

Anonymous

Most bad reviews come from the fact that hardly anyone understands the level of symbolism in this film. Without creating spoilers, there are characters in this film that represent:

Devil
    God
    Moses
    John the Baptist
    Christ
    Lazarus
    Firewall
    Proxy
    Virus
    Error Correcting

and a million other software/religion/Orwell terms. It was all around about the most brilliant “film” I’ve seen to date. Camus, Cant, Erasmus, Anselm, all the great philosophy in there as well. The special effects were well special effects. But the content was there, and you dont need to look hard. I’m still stunned over that Smith scene in the Recycle Bin/Bit Bucket (You did know thats what the room represented =p)

My penny and a half on the film anyway =)

mandara k
    Participant

I gots to agree with there LL, philosophy, ass kicking martial arts, etc… Though I enjoyed some fight scenes better than others. I do believe though that the lines went so fast and have many interpretations that it was hard to catch it all. My bro and I had a blast figuring out who was human and who was other. And it’s all in the dialogue.

Flamegrape
    Participant

I saw it and I thought it was fine. I wasn’t a huge fan of the first movie. And I don’t think the second one was any better or worse than the first.

On another bulletin board, someone complained that Reloaded was “an obtuse shitstorm.” Yes, it was kind of deep and full of symbolism. But I didn’t have any trouble absorbing enough of it to enjoy the story. In fact, there was so much of it that I was beginning to gag when the reference to Persephone came up. I think there must be more that I missed. So perhaps it’s worth even a second viewing.

I give it a thumbs up.

Anonymous

I must admit I was completely peeved with this. I just KNOW I missed a lot. Lexxlurker hinted at symbolism and much deeper stuff, but all I could get were the long winded airy-fairy names that some of the characters had ๐Ÿ˜‰

Persephony! Who the fuck calls themselves Persephony and expects to be taken seriously ๐Ÿ™‚

I though that the fight scenes were great but far too long and in the end I just thought it was a film that was a collection of cool special effects that were peiced together. That’s bad I know. I can’t believe that they would produce a film like that. SO what did I miss – LL tells us that there were loads of philosphical references, so can someone tell me what they were?

I guess I’ll see it again, but in all honesty all I got from the film was the feeling that the only way the human race could be saved is if Agent Smith and Neo were to mate! and the next film would surely be all about who was going to be the b i t c h!

๐Ÿ˜€

A -DM
    Participant

You have too realise Saddy that this film is all about the FX, no matter how good a plot it has it is always going to be overshadowed by it’s innovative special effects, that’s why the first film was such a hit, things like ‘bullet time’ and the martial arts just blew people away and had never been seen before.
    For me the story is modern parable, mirroring the story of Jesus, but it’s so subtle and well done.
    Everyone get’s a kick from seeing the human race on it’s knees so that one man can come along and kick some butt, it’s all about hope in a desperate world, something we can all relate to given the current world climate, it’s why Superman remains one of the biggest icons.
    By the way it’s ‘Persephone’, and like most of the characters in the film the name does serve a purpose, in greek legend her name meant ‘she who destroys the light’, and according to myth she spent a great deal of time in the underworld (Zion) and was regarded as the most beautiful woman in the world. As she is a temptress in this film and seems a little evil, I think she’s an agent for the Matrix (haven’t seen the film yet), as in myth she spends six months in the underworld and then returns to the world above.
    So each name does have some symbolism attached to it, i.e Trinity obviously represents the holy trinity, even Neo has a meaning, although I can’t remember what it was.
    The films are using so many different references fom biblical to myth and I think that it does appeal to a lot of people.
    ADM

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.