a little help please

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

schrodinger cat. i recall reading a short story about this, i can’t remember by who i want to say Asimov but i am not sure about that at all. the principle of this theory was- you put a cat in a box with a cyanide gas and kill the cat ( i have four kitties so i find this part ghastly). but the point of the experiment was… is the cat dead or is it dead when you observe the fact by opening the box? kinda like if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound or does someone have to observe it making a sound? i believe this falls into the metaphysical category. again my memory is fuzzy. it has only been 20 years since i have read the story hehe i just turned 36 so no old geezer jokes hehehe

Anonymous
    Inactive

you put a cat in a box with some poison gas, the release of which is triggered by a radioactive particle, and a chunk of radioactive material that may or may not decay and produce a radioactive particle.
    At any time, the cat can be either dead or alive so can be said to be both, but the only way to tell is to open the box at which point the ‘waveform’ collapses and the cat is now forced into one state or the other (dead or alive).
    The whole thing is ridiculous, and was Schroedingers way of ridiculing the whole thing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

you put a cat in a box with some poison gas, the release of which is triggered by a radioactive particle, and a chunk of radioactive material that may or may not decay and produce a radioactive particle.
    At any time, the cat can be either dead or alive so can be said to be both, but the only way to tell is to open the box at which point the ‘waveform’ collapses and the cat is now forced into one state or the other (dead or alive).
    The whole thing is ridiculous, and was Schroedingers way of ridiculing the whole thing.

Anonymous

It’s quantum physics. My sister tried to explain it to me but I only got a hazy grasp of it at the time and any comprehension I had is gone now.

Anonymous

It’s quantum physics. My sister tried to explain it to me but I only got a hazy grasp of it at the time and any comprehension I had is gone now.

Anonymous

thank for the info guys but does anyone remember the work of fiction i was refering to? it is really bugging me! hehe
    please, i need to know!

Anonymous

thank for the info guys but does anyone remember the work of fiction i was refering to? it is really bugging me! hehe
    please, i need to know!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.