A suggestion for Help and Testing

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Discussion Forum Help A suggestion for Help and Testing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    nursewhen
    Participant

I thought I’d run this one past everbody and see what they think.

How about renaming this forum the ‘policy’ forum and renaming the ‘test’ forum as ‘test and help’.

It’s been pointed out (a couple of times) and I agree, that actually this isn’t the ideal place for people to come for help since there’s a delay while waiting for access to the group and somebody needing help may find it difficult to get into this group in the first place.

The test/help forum could then be the place where people go to play around with the features and to ask other posters for help.

What do people think?

Anonymous

Good idea!

Anyone have any objections? (of course it’s the mod who has the final say – what do you think Jhevz)

Jhevz
    Participant
    SadGeezer wrote:

Good idea!

Anyone have any objections? (of course it’s the mod who has the final say – what do you think Jhevz)

Well, nursewhen, SadGeezer,
    I think we should give this more time & if there’s still not very many people signing up by a certain time period, then we can think about changing it; I also think there could be a separate Help Forum for the general posters who haven’t signed up, that way, they too can feel like they can participate. I think that not enough time has been spent on this 1, nor has there been enough time for others to want to post here after signing on; but if by a certain time period, then I think nursewhen can have this changed. Also, I believe that if we have a separate Help Forum, may be that will help some; but, have it open (without signing up 1st) to other posters & let them decide which 1 they’d like to post on.
    I hope this helps some, nursewhen & I’ll be writing more on posting either next month (November) or in 2 months (December).
    Have a safe & Happy Halloween.

Posters Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

nursewhen
    Participant

Sorry Jhevz, I’m a bit confused over what you’re suggesting. When you say that we could have a separate help forum that doesn’t require people to sign on.

Do you mean we could have it now or after we’ve spent more time on this one?

Anonymous
    Inactive

How much more time? And how many people are many people?

Two help forums? IMHO, your suggestion unnecessarily complicates matters.

Franky, it’s your perogative, but I never really understood the need for not making this one open to all. What are your criteria for deciding who should be excluded? If this is more a policy forum than a help forum, then I suppose those who are mature enough to be included in the policy-making process. If it’s open to all as long as you apply, why bother having an application process (aside from already having to register as a sadgeezer.com member)?

Anyway, this is a cult sci-fi board (and many cult-sci-fi shows are excluded, especially amongst the classics), and as such I’d much rather see new forums for cult sci-fi such as Star Trek, Blake’s 7, Space 1999, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, Lost in Space etc . (I’ve always rather hoped there’d be a new section for Cult Sci-fi Classics, but there aren’t enough of those shows listed to warrant it at the moment). My opinion…

Edit: BTW, I apologise for not spending more time at the board recently, have been rather preoccupied with worldly matters.

Anonymous
    Logan wrote:

If this is more a policy forum than a help forum, then I suppose those who are mature enough to be included in the policy-making process. If it’s open to all as long as you apply, why bother having an application process (aside from already having to register as a sadgeezer.com member)?

Agreed. A forum for discussing policy decisions for the board may be one thing, but a Help forum shouldn’t have a barrier to entry. I just don’t see any positive benefit of limiting it to a usergroup.

nursewhen
    Participant

Logan, you’ve spoken my thoughts exactly. I’ve never understood why this forum needed to be signed up for or who if anybody would be excluded.

I feel that ‘entry requirement’ and ‘help forum’ are mutually exclusive.

Just removing the entry requirement would sort that problem if this is to work as a help forum. However, if it’s a policy forum, then the usergroup works just fine.

The problem is that it I don’t think it can work as both.

Jhevz
    Participant
    nursewhen wrote:

Logan, you’ve spoken my thoughts exactly. I’ve never understood why this forum needed to be signed up for or who if anybody would be excluded.

I feel that ‘entry requirement’ and ‘help forum’ are mutually exclusive.

Just removing the entry requirement would sort that problem if this is to work as a help forum. However, if it’s a policy forum, then the usergroup works just fine.

The problem is that it I don’t think it can work as both.

nursewhen, Logan, stormsweeper,
    The idea of signing up 1st, then post here, was Sadgeezer’s idea; I just wanted some sort of Help Forum/How to become a better poster & such. If you want to know more about this forum, it’s in a thread on this forum; I’ve already put the way I’d like this forum to run & hopefully work out on an earlier thread. I’ll look for the thread, then put the name of it here, for any of you or anyone to read; the thread that I made about what I’d like & what this forum’s all about is the 2nd Announcement above this & other regular threads. It’s called, `Welcome to Discussion Forum Help‘; there, you’ll find the answers you’re looking for & please let others know that’s where they need to read 1st. I thought this would be like lexx.com’s Help Forum, I had no idea that anyone would have to sign up 1st.
    I hope this helps & if you’d like, I’ll make another thread on what this forum’s all about & what I’d like out of it.

Posters Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

nursewhen
    Participant

Thanks for clearing that up and directing us to your original announcement, Jhevz.

Jhevz
    Participant
    nursewhen wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up and directing us to your original announcement, Jhevz.

You’re very welcome, nursewhen,
    I’m very glad I could help; if there’s anything else you need help with, please either give me a PM or post it here. ๐Ÿ™‚

Poster to Poster,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Discussion Forum Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.