About Usernames & how many….

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums British Sci Fi Series The Prisoner About Usernames & how many….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Prisoner Fans,
    I know this has nothing to do with The Prisoner, but the reason why I’m asking the question above, is that I know a group of Trekkies in a local Star Trek/Science Fiction fan club that has at least 8 Usernames on 1 board; it’s not on this 1 or here on sadgeezer.com; it’s on a different board.
    The other reason is this is part of my research to find out how many, so that I can let the others from that fan club know the results & why. If you have any questions about this, please let me know, I’ll be glad to answer them.

Prisoner Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

{Poll edited by Logan by order of The Village}

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe that on this board it’s best to stick to one user-name, but in this forum we’re really all just numbers.

Jhevz
    Participant

You’re right Logan,
    Here, it’s best to stick with 1 Username, as to not to confuse anyone; thanks for your reply. ๐Ÿ™‚

Prisoner Fan to Prisoner Fan,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

pet
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

I believe that on this board it’s best to stick to one user-name, but in this forum we’re really all just numbers.

Well said, 96! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Be Seeing You!

83;D

Didn’t the Frey post something in this thread before about having 1 username all over the net, or at least in places with crossover populations (assuming your usual one isn’t taken)? Of course, you needn’t use the same one for your needlework newsgroup and your Lexx posts, but posts here and at other Sci-Fi sites I prefer to know who people are. Otherwise it can get creepy when you don’t know someone’s motivation for it.

I suppose in a clearly-marked 1st person fan-fic scenario it seems okay to me for a character to post, but I would like to know who the real author is.

Anyhoo, I agree with the one-name-for-all thing. (I did see that somewhere, was it another thread?)

(Or you could try one name for two ppl, like I have a Lexx.com on many occasions, but I don’t do that here. I think Mr. Pet posted unregistered once or twice, but he only generally comes to Sad’s when I send him Firefly and SG-1 news. ๐Ÿ˜› )

Pet;D

Fatguy
    Participant

Actually I would like to see what would happen if we posted our real names and faces for avatars – what are you all trying to hide? However; I have tried everything and here are my experiences.

1. More than one – I have only done this once (then to my surprise found that almost all of the people I encountered on the net had done this many times, over and over again…..) and only talked to myself. I have never misrepresented myself to anyone other than who I am. This has created friction because I express my true self and opinions to others.

2. As a newcomer to a forum, I am often treated well at first; when I show a picture of who I am – my thoughts come under more attack and the general feel is one of isolation and disapproval (I did similar tests with “White” friends at university under as controlled conditions as possible to show that a non-White face behind the words is valued less than a White face; and that a Black face with background “White” support gets the same force as the White face. etc……).

3. Opinions without personal image – gets a negative image, but not as bad as the ethnic profile…..

4. Ethnic image and controversial opinions – Generally hated by most (though some see through this vail and are supportive). I personally have never been arrested; I married a feminist (and never hit her or verbally abused her), on the boards my discussions usually occur in the third person and I go out of my way not to personally attack an “individual” poster. But look at what usually happens – the Arab face gets the worst remarks from many (though not all) in the feminist crowd – I grew up Catholic (unknown to them) but the chauvinistic “aura” of the Moslem male pervades and colors how some view me. My passing interest in the right to own guns never fails to change an interest in my identity to the cold shoulder immediately (it is almost hilarious – how this interest will “horrify” some people – probably why I keep bringing it up :twisted:) .

If you feel to attack my statements – why don’t you try it yourself. The next forum you join and converse with – show them a picture of a Black man or the much hated Arab and tell them it is you – and see what happens…… Or defend an unpopular point of view – see the ostracism take place. Empathy to another’s plight is the best thing that can happen if you decide to go “under cover”. This is the best medium to see how others are treated in their skins…..

I could have remained liked on these boards and avoided controversy, and had my fake ego “stroked” by many people here – but that is not me and the reactions of others are for another person…..not me. Let me just add one thing – the most accepting people I have met…..have been the so called “racist red-necked-confederate-flag-army-grunt person” – who tells off-color jokes but who’s word is gold and stands behind his principles (and mine). The other group (and you will not believe this…..) are former Nazis who fled Germany after WW2 – I was raised by these people in my early years, and they were the happiest of my youth (and I never experienced any racism among them – I was treated as one of their own). My worst racism came from regular Canadians (i.e. I am Canadian) starting my first day of school….. If this goes against your preconceived notions of how the world should be…..tough…..I call them as I see them (and I am usually objective). Evaluate people on their merits – not preconceived notions!

Maurice – my real name…..

Jhevz
    Participant

Thanks for your wonderful posts, pet & Fatguy,
    I’ll definitely let them know what you said & also let them know that 1 Username for all boards is ok & not get too many Usernames for 1 board.
    Thanks again for your lovely posts, take care & have a fun July & Summer.

Prisoner Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

nursewhen
    Participant
    pet wrote:

Didn’t the Frey post something in this thread before about having 1 username all over the net, or at least in places with crossover populations (assuming your usual one isn’t taken)? Of course, you needn’t use the same one for your needlework newsgroup and your Lexx posts, but posts here and at other Sci-Fi sites I prefer to know who people are. Otherwise it can get creepy when you don’t know someone’s motivation for it.

Yes, you did see Frey post that. Jhev’s poll is in the pub as well as some of the individual forums. I’ve already voted in the pub, so I’m not going to vote here as well as it will skew her results.

I have only one username for everything on the internet. I use the same avatar too. Both the name and the avatar feel like my own face and name. It also helps me keep track.

Anonymous

This discussion is off topic. Please limit posts to on-topic discussions in the forums. This topic is also duplicated in the pub forum so if you want to vote please vote there.