Added: Bastille Day

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

Bastille Day, has been added to the Battlestar Galactica Guide.

I have mixed feelings about his episode. Part of it seemed like a let down, like it was mostly exposition again. But I wrote over 3000 words (very unusual for a 1 hour episode) so it certainly had a lot of good parts. Overall, I give it an A-, and the series is in no danger of turning south.

Sci -Fi
    Participant

Not a bad episode, but one wonders why Zarek is thinking about an election when everything has been destroyed and people are trying to escape and survive. The prisoners should have at least demanded unconditional pardons/releases instead of “Freedom Points”. Where are they going to go anyways?

The Colonials should have desalination abilities and salt can be used in a variety of ways. So salt water isn’t really a bad thing when you don’t have any resources and many sea going warships today desalinate salt water. BUT since it’s implied they don’t have the capabilities, melting ice is their only option.

If I was Adama, I would only give Baltar just enough Plutonium for his “Cylon Detector”. Giving Baltar a complete nuclear warhead, considering his erratic behavior, could be a recipe for disaster.

The Helo arc seems to be a bit off. Why would you yell loudly or shoot your gun needlessly when you know there is a Cylon presence on the planet? Or even stroll out in the open for that matter? One would have to decide whether to get to an armory, hospital, or find edible food first to get needed ammo/guns and/or medical supplies, food and water. Then you would need to find/identify several defensible positions with an escape route to hide out, store supplies, or escape to (probably using the sewer system). There should be a few secret military or civilian underground facilities they can hide in, even if it’s from the previous Cylon war. What about transportation? If the Colonials don’t use cars, then there should be some sort of ground transportation. This is a Mad Max world now, you do what needs to be done. What happened to all the other people that were left behind with Helo? You would think many would stick with Helo instead of blindly running around. And since the Colonials seemed to be a militaristic society (all those battlestars and warships would seem to point in that direction), many “civilians” should have served the armed forces at some point and have the training.

There is even a possibility of repairing the defense systems and just set it on automatic to destroy any current and future Cylon basestars in orbit and any reinforcements from landing. Most defensive and offensive systems are heavily protected against a first strike and many should have survived the initial attack. Could even plant a few nukes as booby traps or for remote detonation. Many have complained about the apparent lack of building damage from all the nukes. But if the Cylons used Neutron bombs over the cities, then you wouldn’t see a lot of damage. Although there will be an explosion, the radiation over a wide area is what you want rather than a concentrated blast. But that begs the question of why the Cylons want the cities intact?

My only other question is why does Doral say “But parents have to die. It’s the o­nly way that children can come out into their own”. If there are improved Cylon models in the future, who’s to say they won’t eliminate the present models and their programming? One would suspect the next evolution of Cylon would include even more “human traits” . In the mini, “6” did state the old model Cylons still have their uses in a sarcastic way and that may imply those models now perform as their slaves.

Enough nitpicks, the episode rates a B to B- in my book.

Headgehog
    Participant

Lot’s of good points.

Sci -Fi wrote:

The Colonials should have desalination abilities and salt can be used in a variety of ways. So salt water isn’t really a bad thing when you don’t have any resources and many sea going warships today desalinate salt water. BUT since it’s implied they don’t have the capabilities, melting ice is their only option.

It’s very surprising, that the Galactica doesn’t have desalinization abilities. Especially since its water recycling system should be able to remove salts anyway. And even more so, since jury-rigging a stil isn’t very difficult. I’ll just give them poetic justice, and acknowledge this contrivance as a plot device.

If I was Adama, I would only give Baltar just enough Plutonium for his “Cylon Detector”. Giving Baltar a complete nuclear warhead, considering his erratic behaviour, could be a recipe for disaster.

That would be a good idea. But once Baltar alters the geometry (removes part of it) of the plutonium fuel of the weapon, it’s useless as a weapon. So he might as well give him all the material. Besides, Baltar is “working” under the strict supervision of Lt Gaeta.

The Helo arc seems to be a bit off. Why would you yell loudly or shoot your gun needlessly when you know there is a Cylon presence on the planet? Or even stroll out in the open for that matter?

Insanity, radiation sickness…

What happened to all the other people that were left behind with Helo? You would think many would stick with Helo instead of blindly running around.

Good question.

There is even a possibility of repairing the defence systems and just set it on automatic to destroy any current and future Cylon basestars in orbit and any reinforcements from landing. Most defensive and offensive systems are heavily protected against a first strike and many should have survived the initial attack. Could even plant a few nukes as booby traps or for remote detonation. Many have complained about the apparent lack of building damage from all the nukes. But if the Cylons used Neutron bombs over the cities, then you wouldn’t see a lot of damage. Although there will be an explosion, the radiation over a wide area is what you want rather than a concentrated blast. But that begs the question of why the Cylons want the cities intact?

We never actually saw any basestars attacking the colonies, and the news report in the mini, said that they haven’t seen any enemy forces yet (shortly before they were nuked). Perhaps the nukes dropped were from the defence grid itself. We already know that the Cylon’s hacked the system, why not use it against the humans too.

Nukes aren’t as powerful as people think, the won’t make an entire city a creator, nor level it. The Japan atomic bombings are a misconception. The damage wouldn’t have been so bad there, if most of their building weren’t made out of paper and light wood.

Good observation about the Neutron bombs, those would cause a LOT of lingering radiation, and leave most of the infrastructure in place, not that the Cylons have much of a need for the human ghost towns anyway. Maybe they want the cities as a monument to their creators. Or perhaps as a place for later generations of biocylons to inhabit.

Requiem
    Participant

Headgehog:
    Hi,I’m new here and a big fan of BSG
    I’m from China and planning to translate this great show into Chinese but it’s unlikely to find the subtitles or script since the show has aired in couple of days.
    Any advice?
    Thank you!BTW:nice board,I love the color.
    Regards
    Feng

Headgehog
    Participant
    Requiem wrote:

I’m from China and planning to translate this great show into Chinese but it’s unlikely to find the subtitles or script since the show has aired in couple of days.
    Any advice?

Glad you like the site.

I will be adding transcripts for all the BSG episodes, but unfortunatly not in the near future. I have to wait until the episodes air in the US, before I can do a “closed captions capture”, or have the computer write out the subtitles for me. Sorry but it’ll take way too long for me to make transcripts manually. Starting in January, when I get the ccc I’ll upload the transcripts.

You might also try galactica.tv, which is a huge resource for everything realted to the new series. But I don’t think they’ll be adding transcripts.

Requiem
    Participant
    Headgehog wrote:

Requiem wrote:

Any advice?

Glad you like the site.

I will be adding transcripts for all the BSG episodes, but unfortunatly not in the near future. I have to wait until the episodes air in the US, before I can do a “closed captions capture”, or have the computer write out the subtitles for me. Sorry but it’ll take way too long for me to make transcripts manually. Starting in January, when I get the ccc I’ll upload the transcripts.

You might also try galactica.tv, which is a huge resource for everything realted to the new series. But I don’t think they’ll be adding transcripts.[/quote]

Thank you for your tips,Headgehog,I will try

In fact,I can do the subtitles all by myself only depending on my listening comprehesition.But most of times a single word bothers me.Like in “Water”[DUELLA: Sir, the Virgon Express is maneuvering along side. They’re standing by for unwrap],I don’t know UNWRAP,so……:(
    Well,thank you again! 0(.^_^.)0
    -= So Say We All =-
    Feng

tuzanor
    Participant

Zarek’s demand for elections seemed pretty silly. The President hadn’t ruled out holding elections, so why take hostages to get them? it must have been just a pretext to trigger a crisis that would create martyrs of the prisoners for Zarek’s own gain.

Headgehog
    Participant
    Requiem wrote:

In fact,I can do the subtitles all by myself only depending on my listening comprehesition.But most of times a single word bothers me.Like in “Water”[DUELLA: Sir, the Virgon Express is maneuvering along side. They’re standing by for unwrap],I don’t know UNWRAP,so……:(
    Well,thank you again!

Normally unwrap means, to remove the covering of an object. ex: “John unwrapped his birthday present”
    However, in this case, “unwrap” is being used as military jargon. Its definition here is “to receive”. ex: the Virgon Express is standing by to receive water rations.

I’d be happy to help you with other English/American idioms and jargon, to translate the transcripts. Give me an email at [email protected] , to discuss this further.

billthecat
    Participant
    Headgehog wrote:

Requiem wrote:

Well,thank you again!

Normally unwrap means, to remove the covering of an object. ex: “John unwrapped his birthday present”
    However, in this case, “unwrap” is being used as military jargon. Its definition here is “to receive”. ex: the Virgon Express is standing by to receive water rations.

I’d be happy to help you with other English/American idioms and jargon, to translate the transcripts. Give me an email at [email protected] , to discuss this further.[/quote]

Hi 🙂 Regarding the use of the word unwrap during the water episode, the actual term is UNREP (i’m guessing that the way it was pronounced on the show, it sounded like unwrap). UNREP stands for Underway Replenishment. I only know this because I worked on the show.

Cheers and Thanks for watching
    P.S. your site is really nice

Headgehog
    Participant
    billthecat wrote:

Regarding the use of the word unwrap during the water episode, the actual term is UNREP (i’m guessing that the way it was pronounced on the show, it sounded like unwrap). UNREP stands for Underway Replenishment. I only know this because I worked on the show.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.