Added: Battlestar Galactica: Water review

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined) Added: Battlestar Galactica: Water review

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

The review of the second episode of the new Galactica series Water, has been added for your reading pleasure.

Anonymous

I have to admit I didn’t like this ep at first, but after re-watching it tonight, it’s grown on me.

The suspense with the detonators, the decompression of the Water ship (wouldn’t it flash freeze? Thus expanding enough to destroy the entire ship? Maybe the hull is pretty hot.) lots of good action in Ep2 that can get lost in the dialogue.

Great review too!

Sci -Fi
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

….., the decompression of the Water ship (wouldn’t it flash freeze? Thus expanding enough to destroy the entire ship? Maybe the hull is pretty hot.) lots of good action in Ep2 that can get lost in the dialogue.

Great review too!

No…in a vacuum, water would boil and vaporize first before freezing into very fine crystals. Even an ice cube will boil in space until the stored heat is used up or dissapates. As air pressure decreases, so does the boiling point. That’s why water boils much faster on a mountaintop than it does at sea level. By the same token, you can make water boil at room temperature in the laboratory by applying a partial vacuum.

The old argument is: if the vacuum of space is so cold, then why did it take millions of years before the universe cooled down from the big bang?

Explosive decompression from the rupture of the hull would literally suck out the water, so as the water vaporizes, it’s moving away and spreading out exponentially and would be difficult to recover. It’s similar to what happened to Apollo 13 when the liquid oxygen tanks blew, the liquid oxygen boiled and vaporized into space and liquid oxygen is a lot colder than water. Kind of makes you wonder how strong and thick the outer hull and armor is on the Galactica (either one, old or new). The explosion should have collapsed the bulkheads towards the inner part of the ship and maybe lose some outer armor plating or put a bulge in the hull. Even though Gaeta mentioned the cylon nuke that may have weakened that area, there should have been a mention about inspections done after the “33” episode to properly access any damage. Or maybe they were too buzy catching up with some Zzzz’s or fixing Vipers and Raptors to worry about it.

๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

Thanks for the explaination Sci-Fi!

I always wondered about that…. ๐Ÿ˜›

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.