Added: The Captain’s Hand Transcript

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined) Added: The Captain’s Hand Transcript

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Headgehog
    Participant

I’ve added the transcript to The Captains Hand.

Enjoy.

Pyro978
    Participant

and another commander of Pegasus bites the dust. Thats like 3 commanders in a span of like 3 months? at least with Apollo as skipper, we can be assured no more commanders will be dying soon. Although he is a bit young to be commanding a battlestar wouldn’t you guys say so?

oh yeah have you guys noticed now that since Adama was promoted to Admiral, he’s more mellow and scary at the same time? He like lacks the emotions of a commander it seems.

Headgehog
    Participant

Yeah, it certainly appears that a Pegasus commander has the lifespan of a Spinal Tap drummer. Adama must not love his son that much…

Adama has always been a little calm and at times unemotional. So I haven’t noticed a huge change since he became Admiral.

Politically though, I think it was a very bad move for him to promote his son to Commander of Pegasus. People can interpret the move as a dynastic attempt to control the military. I can understand why he wanted to promote somebody from Galactica to commander, but his own son screams of nepotism.

MargiC
    Participant

Although I read these transcipts regularly, I haven’t posted before, and feel a little diffident about doing so now. But here goes — this is a terrific service. Usually I read the transcript after I’ve seen the ep, but due to a Series of Unfortunate Events, I wasn’t able to catch this one, so read the transcript ‘cold’. Usually I’m busy visualizing all the stage business, visual effects etc. as they appeared in the episode, but not this time. The surprise to me was what a well-written, taut, well edited script this appears to be. This time I felt the dialogue and cutting techniques really carried the story simply ‘on paper’, which isn’t always the case. I may change my mind when I actually see this one, but in the meantime, many thanks. I’m very interested in thewriting of this series, and was happy to be able to focus on it.

Margi C

Pyro978
    Participant

well Hedge I don’t think Adm. Adama can find anyone better for the job. They lack officers on Galactica and almost everyone on Pegasus that gets promoted seems incompetent. Apollo handled the situation pretty well considering he’s had 0 experience commanding a capital ship. Can you imagine what would happen if Starbuck got the job as CO of Pegasus?

Headgehog
    Participant

quote=”MargiC”]Although I read these transcripts regularly, I haven’t posted before, and feel a little diffident about doing so now. But here goes — this is a terrific service. [/quote]

Welcome to the site, I’m glad you enjoy the transcripts.

Usually I read the transcript after I’ve seen the ep, but due to a Series of Unfortunate Events, I wasn’t able to catch this one, so read the transcript ‘cold’. … The surprise to me was what a well-written, taut, well edited script this appears to be. This time I felt the dialogue and cutting techniques really carried the story simply ‘on paper’, which isn’t always the case.

You’d be surprised. Many of the scripts for season 2.5 have been very strong by themselves, but didn’t translate well onto the small screen. Black Market, Scar and to a lesser extent Epiphanies are all examples. I haven’t made up my mind yet if I liked the Captain’s Hand.

I’m very interested in thewriting of this series, and was happy to be able to focus on it.

Margi C

You might be interested to know that the scripts usually run longer than expected and several pages and scenes are usually cut or shortened. Sometimes excerpts from the cutting room floor find there way into the “Previously on Battlestar Galactica” part of the episode. Ad-libbing is also very strongly encouraged. So it’s very common for the final product to vary greatly from what was first written. For instance Tyrol’s character often has “Aaron it up” written in the script, because they know the actor can easily improv better lines.

Pyro978 wrote:

well Hedge I don’t think Adama can find anyone better for the job. They lack officers on Galactica and almost everyone on Pegasus that gets promoted seems incompetent. Apollo handled the situation pretty well considering he’s had 0 experience commanding a capital ship. Can you imagine what would happen if Starbuck got the job as CO of Pegasus?

I think the lack of strong Pegasus officers is a plot device. I somewhat doubt Cain would have tolerated incompetence very long on her ship. Or perhaps she micromanaged so much, that there wasn’t an opportunity for officers with leadership.

Starbuck would be a disaster. The ship would likely spontaneously explode within a few hours of her taking command.

I was really thinking about putting Adama putting Geata or Kelly in a higher leadership position on Pegasus. He can trust those guys and both have already shown leadership abilities on some level.

Pyro978
    Participant

I think the lack of strong Pegasus officers is a plot device. I somewhat doubt Cain would have tolerated incompetence very long on her ship. Or perhaps she micromanaged so much, that there wasn’t an opportunity for officers with leadership.

You are right about Cain not tolerating incompetence. However most of the people on her ship act like they know what they are doing however when it comes down to it, they just blow it. They let their emotions get in the way of their jobs. Just look at the former CAG of Pegasus and Garner.

yeah but Apollo is considered to be a battle tested commander since he did get Pegasus outta that jam Cmdr. Garner put them in. He seems like he’s able to be creative in getting out of situations. I think that he and Starbuck would make a good CO/XO combination.

I don’t know about Maj. Kelly. Btw where is Major Kelly anyways? is like commanding another ship or is he commanding a section inside Galactica or what?

Gaeta on the other hand would probably not make a good Commander yet. Don’t get me wrong he’s great at plotting jumps and doing his job. I like him, however he lacks the command experience and i don’t think he can think outside the box. However in the future i think he’ll make a excellent commander.

I’m kinda worried about the XO of Pegasus though, his name is Throaton I believe? not really sure, but he seems really unsure himself.

Oh yeah one last thing, is it me or does it seem like Pegasus has stronger offense capabilities then Galactica. It seems like Galactica has only flak cannons and anti-fighter missiles while Pegasus looks like she got cannons on that thing. It could be just me though.

YOWAYYO
    Participant

On the whole, I liked this episode. I really liked Lee not acting like such a wuss and taking charge with the Pegasus pilots, with Starbuck’s attitude, and in the heat of battle (spur of the moment, no less) on the bridge.

What I didn’t like was the abortion story…it just seemed “forced” into the Galactica story (for the sake of a controversial topic?) and did not make a whole lot of sense to me given our heros’ situation. Here’s why…the human race has been virtually decimated. And as was pointed out by Roslin, the key for the survivors was to get the F*&% out of Dodge and start having babies. Rarely does an entire society/ civilization pull together for a cause, but if there ever was a reason to do so, this would be it because as a matter of fact, it IS the end of the world. Ok, maybe not THE end but you get the point. Anyway, I would have thought that the remnants of humanity would have been on the same, baby-making page and really pull together to grow the population, but this was not the case in the episode (Cottle even made it sould like it was somewhat a regular occurance.) Anyway, the story did not compute! Especially given the fact that the Pegasus’ officers and raptor pilots (pilots in general) are dropping like flies!!! ๐Ÿ˜†

Also, I had a problem with Cmdr. Garner going from rational, orderly engineer-type officer to reckless, damn-the-torpedoes and let’s-go-get-our-boys type jarhead. His decision-making process at the end of the episode seemed inconsistent with the structured engineering mindset they built up for his character. What? It could be a trap? Horsefeathers!!! Let’s violate Admiral Adama’s orders and jump the Pegasus to Gods-know where and go get them! Recon? Who needs it! Data? Spock was better. Sheesh. I don’t know, maybe I’m being too hard on him. What do the engineers think? Hedge?

And yes, the Peggy sure does have some firepower, huh? I think I did see cannons on the front end (?) making short work of a nearby base star. That was nice!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.