Adult Swim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    aquabloodstone
    Participant

Of course all the regular visitors to the site know all about Futurama, featured on the Adult Swim block on the Cartoon Network, Right? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Adult swim also airs shows like the Venture Bros. (starting it’s second season on Sun. June 25), Stroker and Hoop, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and premieres like Korgoth of Barbaria that feature some definite sci fi overtones to say the least. And they aren’t the only ones.
    Of course, not all of the shows air weekly (or even regularly at times).
    I was just wondering if anyone else out there enjoyed this particular aspect of sci fi-dom? (Is that a word?)

Anonymous

I mentioned it briefly in SadCAST 3 and showed my ignorance for not having seen it!

Mike is a big fan of Adult Swim and I will have to check it out and get back.

Anyone else any views on Adult Swim?

Berzerker
    Participant

Not sure if it counts by some of your standards of what sci-fi, but anyway, Paranoia Agent is a great show. More on the anime show level, but it’s so frackin’ trippy and bizarre that it’s up there. Also Fooly Cooly, another anime but this one deals with monsters and space pirates.

But yeah Futurama, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, both great shows. And Robot Chicken, another sci-fi show at times, totally rocks.

Anonymous

I’ll have to checkout PAranoia Agent – I absolutely LOVED Fooly Cooly!

Can’t get into Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Robot Chicken though.

aquabloodstone
    Participant

Yes, the anime block on Saturday features some excellent programming. They’re always bitching about low ratings for action Saturdays, I’m sure some additional viewers would make them happy.

I’ve never understood why everyone fell so hard for Aqua Teen myself. It’s okay, but the longer it goes on, the more my interest wanes.

Now, I have to say Robot Chicken tickles me, but I’m also around the age of the creators and alot of their parodies touch on age specific phenomena for the most part.

Venture Bros. is kind of a loose parody of Jonny Quest, it’s really a well written show IMHO. Very well-rounded.

Upon reflection, it surprises me how many of their shows have a sci fi bent.

I personally enjoy Stroker and Hoop. Low humor at it’s finest. At first it seems to be your typical detective show parody, but time travel, alien life, possessions, mind-reading, zombies and mind-control are featured heavily in their storylines.

Nick -Z.
    Participant

I was really getting into Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network a few years ago, before the local cable company was eaten by a bigger fish and decided it needed more profit to feed its fat school of corporate piggies and vampire-sharks, so they revised the packaging format.

Don’t know how many other people went thru this, but I would like to state it for the record. When a cable channel that is offered in a cheap package deal becomes popular, the cable companies like to move it into a more expensive package. That is exactly what they did with the Sci-fi channel, The Mystery channel, the Cartoon Network, etc… all because these channels became more popular than most of the regular big networks (ABC, CBS, NBC).

In 2001, all of these channels were accessible for about $15 a month in the U.S. of A. Now, they are only accessible in the $40 per month package.

On the lighter side, G4 was still accessible, last time I checked, and it had just started running some very cool sci-fi anime series.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.