Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson chat transcript par

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Stargate SG-1 Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson chat transcript par

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Events_Moderator: Hey folks! Let’s welcome RDA to the chat! Hi Richard, welcome to Lycos Live Events! What’s up?

linzi_sg1blow: Hello Rick!!

eunkaruns: HAIL RDA

karine48: Hi Rick

ladylittlefox: Wolf whistles

surfsupnet: Hi RDA

amanda_tapping_rulez: Helllooo!!!!

lapivoine: Salut!!

cathy_michelle: Hi Rick!!

Richard: Oh…just, you know, a day in the life, everybody is up at 5:30 in the morning, and we continue to shoot as we speak. I have a bit of a cold, but that doesn’t slow me down, and doesn’t keep me from causing trouble wherever I go. And I want to personally thank those of you who have been waiting for three hours. You guys are amazing!

mousie_grr: Rick, I just want to say that you’re fab and lucky to be loved so much by people like myself (age 13) who would wait all day until one a.m. just to say hi.

Richard: Again – being from Minnesota I have a hard time really comprehending that kind of patience, but thank you, thank you. Guten Morgen, get some sleep!

Events_Moderator: Hey Rick! What are y’all shooting now?

Richard: We’re shooting an episode called “Cure.” Where we discover the Queen Tokra – which is a big globule, a big slimy, snaky globule, which is delicious if seared lightly.

FUN FACT – Dean Stockwell (Quantum Leap) will make a guest appearance on the seventh episode of Stargate SG-1’s sixth season, entitled “Shadow Play.”

rkw25526: Rick, when will the documentaries you have been working on be aired?

Richard: It’ll be some time. The process will take longer for me with my involvement, because of my commitment to Stargate. The scheduling has been a bit of a chore for all involved. The trips to the various rivers, creating a library of footage and documentation of the cultures and the people and such – it’ll be some time.

Events_Moderator: This question was taken from the Stargate SG-1 Club: wendal7 asks… One of the things I like most about the show is your sense of humor. Richard, are you as much of a smart-ass off screen as you are on?

Richard: It’s nice that people are aware of that. Thanks for asking and keeping it alive. In a word, yes. It’s my job to be, as you succinctly put it, “the smart-ass”; it’s in my contract – actor, producer, smart-ass! Thanks for asking! {laughs}

kirstie_luvs_sg1: Hey Rick!! We all luv ya. Do you check out any of the fan websites / fan fictions?

Richard: You know, I haven’t – I’m apprised of it, but part of my problem is that I’m not real computer savvy. I have a real hard time tracking those things down, so my assistant Ivan has put me in touch with http://www.rdanderson.com, the website that was put together on my behalf. I haven’t really explored it, much to my discredit. I have to learn how to turn on my computer first.

Events_Moderator: This question was taken from the Stargate SG-1 Club: itsme_dd asks… Rick, after so many years of filming, is there anything which still surprises you?

Richard: Not really – other than the fact that I’m still vertical! What I’ve been exposed to through the experience of Stargate is the new technology through the industry, working with the finest technicians and artists in the new generation. What surprises me is that we’re in for new surprises. It’s just a massive, incomprehensible world. What I’ve been able to learn to that end is that there are virtually no limits to what can be done.

FUN FACT – Actor Michael Shanks will return to the role of Daniel Jackson in “Abyss,” the sixth episode of Stargate SG-1’s sixth season.

hotmom01: Hi Richard, I heard that you hurt your knee, how is it coming along?

Richard: {laughs} It’s much better now – it was my third knee surgery. The irony of it was that it did not happen skiing. I was carrying my daughter into her ballet class, caught my toe on a nail, snapped my foot backwards, and tore my knee to shreds. But, the rehab has been as accelerated as possible to accommodate my trips to the river last March and my work on Stargate; plus, being a father to a three year old.

Events_Moderator: This question was taken from the Stargate SG-1 Club: jaci_rose asks… Thanks for taking the time to chat! With season six getting mixed reviews from some fans even though it hasn’t started yet, I was just wondering what you would say to reassure the fans that season six is just as good – if not better – than the previous five seasons?

Richard: What’s curious to me is how we get mixed reviews on something that hasn’t aired yet. And to that end, I don’t know what the reference is to, because we’re still a strong, creative franchise. We’ve had a change in personnel, but that’s just part of a natural evolution of a series. People sometimes choose to move on, and it’s our job to accommodate those needs. The show is still great!

Events_Moderator: I heard there will be a Stargate SG-1 movie. When do you start filming it? Any big changes or surprises we should expect?

Richard: It’s still a question mark for all of us. Brad Wright is in the process of writing the feature for MGM. And we have to wait for MGM’s decision whether to move forward with production. Until we get the go-ahead, we can only leave it to Brad to write the best script imaginable. Everybody is on board, and we’d love to make a feature with the added time and budgetary concerns and magnitude. We think we can put together a wonderful show on a slightly larger scale.

FUN FACT – An animated spin-off series of Stargate SG-1 called Infinity will begin airing Saturday mornings this fall.

Events_Moderator: I hate to say it, but we have to wrap this up in a few minutes . Our time with our guests is almost up! We’ll take a few more questions & comments.

hw_chaos: Hi Rick, how goes the environmental projects that you are involved in?

Richard: That kind of refers back to the documentary projects I’m involved with and I’m on the board of directors of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, and the River Keeper Alliance. My hands-on involvement is somewhat limited until Stargate is over. The River Project is a documentary series we’re putting together about an issue-oriented environment and a cultural study of river people. It’s a little frustrating that I’m not more hands-on involved, but again I spend nine months in Vancouver, and can only spring out sporadically, and actually get on the river or in the ocean.

triciaveneman: Rick do you mind that a lot of people still see you as MacGuyver after all you’ve done since?

Richard: Not at all. I will always take it as the ultimate compliment to a successful venture. Thank you!

extintor811: Hi Richard ! Greetings from Barcelona. I would like to know how much time it takes you to memorize the script. Thank you.

Richard: I have a hard time memorizing the script. I memorize the ideas of the script, and the scenes, and try to make it short. Amanda has the hard job, she has lots of science thingies, I get to look dumbfounded.

Manolis_Varnas2: Richard, you are a wonderful actor and I enjoy the show. It’s one of the best on TV. What do you think is the secret of success of the show?

Richard: Well, by this time it should be no secret that we have an incredible franchise born of a quirky concept of a movie. Any time you have an ongoing premise that allows you to walk through a wall of water and end up in some other part of the universe for another adventure, you have unlimited creative possibilities. That’s unique in the business. We also have an ensemble cast that as individuals are interesting and unique and extremely talented. And a bevy of writers who are tireless in their efforts to be creative.

kgw2002:: How do you get through those long days? I heard that they are like 16 hours long!

Richard: They can drag on, but it’s part of the job! You grow to expect that. They are made less grueling, through the efforts of everyone. But, in particular, John Smith, one of our producers, who orchestrates the scheduling and makes it as easy as possible. But it’s the job.

tessamac: Hi Rick! At Gatecon last year, Amanda described the way you smelled in 22 words or less. Could you do that for her too, please? ๐Ÿ™‚

Richard: She described how I smell???? (To Amanda) You described how I smell??? Come over here, Amanda, let me smell you – I’m smelling Amanda now! Mmm…she smells like hairspray. She smells like the very essence of life itself. It means she should shower. Soon. She’s smelling me now… I’d put her on the phone, but her nose is between my toes. Come on get up!

johnson-sg3: Hey Rick, is Amanda watching what you’re typing, just to see what you say about her?

Richard: Amanda is sitting right next to me, we’re on the floor of the motor home, lounging, with cocktails and small poodles. And one large poodle. We have geishas, cabana boys, and for Amanda we have…well, there’s a lot of traffic in there, but we’re oblivious to the outside world.

gatetraveler: This question is for RDA: I’ve been a Stargate fan since the beginning and there have been many changes to your character during the past five years. I was wondering what kind of character changes can we expect to see in season six?

Richard: Not much. {laughs} Natural evolution of the creative process. That’s actually a Brad Wright question anyway, he’s in charge of us all.

cleo2205: Rick, we know you are crazy about dogs…..What’s your opinion of cats?

Richard: I love dogs. I’m not saying that I don’t like cats….but I’m more dog than anything else, more dog than human, and my cat-like qualities never really developed along with other parts of my body, and personality. I’m not saying I don’t like cats…I’m just saying. I prefer snakes. Snake dogs.

Events_Moderator: can you tell us what your favorite episode of Season six has been so far and why?

Richard: Oh….possibly “Abyss.” Mike Shanks came back and I was trapped in a jail cell with him. It was good to see and work with him, we battled it out on screen, it was great.

stargatetraveler: Hiya Rick! Love your character and all the hard work you put into things. Just one quick question: Do all of the cast share good friendships as they do on the show?

Richard: Yeah. I’m not the social being that everyone, I’m sure, thinks I am! {laughs} All of us have actually developed into quite dear friends. I haven’t been able to personally socialize a lot, because I get on an airplane to be with my daughter on the weekends. Apparently the party goes on without me, which comes as a great shock to me, a blow to my ego.

jacksonforever: I have a question for

Amanda: What is it like being a strong female character in a basically male dominated series?

Amanda: Extremely difficult. No, it’s fabulous. I like that this character is equal to her male counterparts without having to apologize for being a woman – Rick just said she’s superior. It’s a great character to play. Would that life were like this! I think that playing a character like this has given me more strength in life – with “da fellas”.

paugio: Amanda, how difficult has it been to learn the scientific stuff for your role?

Amanda: Not at all. I love doing research, and I find most of what I read is intriguing. I won the science award in HS, as well as the drama award, so I was tailor made for this role. That being said, I’m anxious to play a character that doesn’t feel the need to explain everything, ad nauseum, in a verbose manner.

samandjanetfan: Question for Amanda — What’s up with all the blue Jello?

Amanda: {laughs} You know, it started in the canteen in one episode where we had a choice to eat rice pudding or, jello, and I went with the blue jello. I’ve actually been sent blue jello, and it makes your tongue blue, and its kind of fun. Rick likes it!

rebeccca_1: Hi Amanda! Have you ever done anything on set completely out of the blue?

Events_Moderator: Other than Jello that is

Amanda: Besides our usual fooling around and mentioning MacGuyver that made it into the pilot. That was an ad-lib that made it to the screen. We’ve learned from our master, Maharishi Rick. Out of the blue once, Rick said a line that had been previously written. Shocked us all!

erishian42: Amanda, would you ever like to play Michael Shanks’s love interest in another movie or TV show?

Amanda: Hell yeah, he’s cute!

johnson-sg3: Amanda, have you ever been tempted to do an episode where Carter has an Essex accent?

Amanda: Yes, I do Essex accents on set all the time. Unfortunately it never makes it on screen – but I think it behooves the producers to let me do the Essex, and let me wear white stilettos at least once. Rick gets to wear white stilettos all the time! I want to reiterate how great it is, like Rick said, that all these people waited so long to talk to us. I have Rick right here, any questions you want to ask me about the Richard Dean Anderson?

Events_Moderator: The following is a question from the Stargate SG-1 Club: hw_chaos asks… What storylines do you hope to see wrapped in this season since it is your last and where do you imagine Colonel O’Neill and Major Carter to be five years down the line?

Amanda: I would like to see what happens with the Tokra. There’s actually quite a few gangland threats that we need some closure to, too many to get into right now. What ever happened to Joe, Sam’s first husband, when we went back to 2001 and left him on this Harvester? But now Rick and I are discussing where Jack and Sam will be in five years. We think we’ll open a deli right outside area one. (to Rick) Weekends at your cabin fishing? He doesn’t want to fish anymore – he might catch a fish one day; that would scare him. We’ll both retire, and I’ll finally be able to call him Jack!

flashpointe68: Is Rick as great a kisser as he seems he would be??

Amanda: Rick is a phenomenal kisser – wait, let me double check that. I’m going to kiss him right now. That was a short one but he is in fact, as phenomenal a kisser as one might imagine. That was a great question, because I got to kiss Rick – any more like that and I’m all over – Rick fainted, though. {laughs} Thank you, thank you, thank you, this is so great!

Events_Moderator: Thanks SO much for taking the time to chat with us tonight, Amanda!

Amanda: I have to say, I said it before, but I’m touched and overwhelmed by how much support we get from the fans, and please don’t think it goes unnoticed.

Events_Moderator: Rick, thanks so much to you too! This has been a great deal of fun!

Richard: Complete echo of our most articulate of cast members. I’m still awed by the presence of my website, let alone the flourishing nature of them. I live a fairly reclusive life, you’d think I’d be more in touch with them, I’ll have to make a point to get in touch. In some ways I’m awed, and confused to some degree, but in some ways it feels good to have proof that people watch and support the show.

nhawk78: Bye from England!!!!! Thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚

tessamac: Bye! Thank you very much for joining us and doing things like this! We know you and computers after all… oh no, that is Jack ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you to both of you! Hope to see you at conventions!

lady646: Yes, thank you both so much!

billyprn: Bye guys…take care

TessavanL: Thank you both, it has been so much fun! You’re the best, both of you.

kate_anderson83: Thanks for the laughs Rick and Amanda! I really had fun ๐Ÿ™‚

omalley731: Lots of love from Germany to you two!!!!

tessamac: Bye! Thank you very much for joining us and doing things like this! We know you and computers after all… oh no, that is Jack ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank you to both of you! Hope to see you at conventions!

rdaspoox: Bye all of you, love you so much Rick and Samantha!

macgyvers_girl: We love you guys! Thanks so much for doing this!

jack_7772: A big kiss from Italian fans to Richard and Amanda!!!

unas4: I love the show.

gatefan: Thank you both so much. I really enjoyed this

Events_Moderator: Thanks for taking the time to chat with us this evening, It’s been fun! We’ll have to do it again sometime! Great questions everyone. Y’all are the best!! I hope everyone had fun!! We sure did!!

Events_Moderator: OK everyone, it’s time to go to the Stargate Club. Here is the URL….enjoy!! http://clubs.lycos.com/live/Directory/CommunityHome.asp?CG=kvdvma96ob9h31oi0188mmh8ec

Thanks again for coming everyone. See ya next time at Lycos Live Events

[ 16-06-2002: Message edited by: Slopmaster ]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.