Anyone seen War of the Worlds?

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums General Sci Fi Sci Fi Angst Anyone seen War of the Worlds?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lexxrobotech
    Participant

I havent seen it yet… and Im not to excited about it.

I would have prefered it to have been set in the 30’s. But, maybe thats just me.

What really gets me is the ‘amercanization’ of it. Bah! It’ll be like having Huckleberry Finn on the Thames…

Whats more is it’s Spielberg & Cruise so more than likely, it’ll be a smash hit and prove that I am almost totally alone when it comes to taste in films.

kokopelli
    Participant
    lexxrobotech wrote:

I havent seen it yet… and Im not to excited about it.

I would have prefered it to have been set in the 30’s. But, maybe thats just me.

What really gets me is the ‘amercanization’ of it. Bah! It’ll be like having Huckleberry Finn on the Thames…

Whats more is it’s Spielberg & Cruise so more than likely, it’ll be a smash hit and prove that I am almost totally alone when it comes to taste in films.

I haven’t seen it yet, but i can’t knockl Spielberg and Cruise. Despite being a megastar ( ๐Ÿ™‚ ) Cruise has done some knock me dead movies like Vanilla Sky and Spielberg (“Empire of the Sun” from J.G Ballard) is always gold quality no matter what he does.

nursewhen
    Participant

I have seen it, and though I usually hate films that rely totally on their special effects, I must say that these were exceptional. It’s a good thing the characters were two dimensional and I had no sympathy for them. It meant I could enjoy the special effects without having to worry about the possibility of anybody I liked getting killed.

shadowolf
    Participant

I too have seen it. And I must say that I agree with the good nurse. I was positively supprised. It was watch-able despite Cruise. He did an ok preformance.
    I must have missed the flag-waving part though (maybe it’s selective memory, or I’ve developed a blindspot ๐Ÿ™‚ )

cheesetoasty
    Participant

I too agree, i was pleasently surprised, although it does still have that terrible although ironic ending.

nursewhen
    Participant

One thing I found rather annoying is that they ran Ogilvey and the artilleryman into one character. Scientific genuis versus total nutter. Not an obvious choice in my opinion

spooookie
    Participant

One of those Films I never expected to like,But I did!

As someone who lives on the Doorstep of Woking though(Woking being where The Original was based) I still get this Sinking feeling that it was set in Modern USA
    I actually enjoyed Cruise’s acting quite a bit too,and the effects were done exceptionally well

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.