Apologies to the US peeps

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx Apologies to the US peeps

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I’ve just read some of the posts in the ‘What
    was that’ thread, and noticed that a few UK posters seemed intent on bashing the US posters and saying that they weren’t too concerned as to when Lexx: S4 was to begin.
    I personally think that the US Lexx fans are worthy of my thanx for supporting Lexx, after all the UK is a tiny country and we alone would not do much for helping Lexx’s audience figures, whereas the US is the bread and butter for Lexx, and without your support Lexx wouldn’t be about anymore…so again thanx.
    As for the new season of Lexx, well I can’t wait, and am mightily ****ed that it won’t be here until next year.And the person (from the UK) who said they couldn’t care less when Lexx starts again, shouldn’t really be bothering to post on this forum if they feel that way.
    I’m sorry that these people give the wrong impression of the UK, many of us don’t have a snide and arrogant attitude, although there is still a few in the ‘stiff upper lip brigade’…but, luckily they are in the minority (and they are probably ManU fans to boot).
    Anyone who wishes to share some nice big juicy spoilers, please feel free to tell me, as 2002 seems like an eternity.
    Long live the Big Bug.

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

ThanX, Squishy.

An appology is by no means neccessary although it is appreciated. I have friends in the UK and Red Dwarf, HitchHiker’s Guide, Monty Python, and Sad Geezer all come from the UK. So they can’t all be bad

I never consider individuals representative of the whole. Or Wholes representative of the individual

lizard
    Participant

Showing Lexx months later in the UK seems like an odd decision, I can’t quite figure out the reasoning for this.

Does the US scifi channel think that it increases ratings?

Also, none of the posts were really offensive, considering that internationally, the US has become the “1000 pound gorilla that sits wherever it likes”. I can see why you all might be feeling crowded out.

Anonymous

It does seem odd indeed that the UK gets s4 so late. Last season, I was so jealous of the UK because they got to see s3 and buy the tapes before we in the US even got to see it. I’ve also noticed in the credits at the end that there is no mention of the US being at all involved in the making of the s4 eps. I understood that the American Sci Fi channel was instrumental in helping finance the new season. Speaking of which, does anyone have any knowledge of when they start filming again in Halifax?

Anonymous

Btw, lizard.. if you want to meet some really stuffy bitter British people.. I suggest visiting the IRC chat on http://www.lexx.com. While not everyone there from the UK is like that.. some of them are the UK people that really have a problem with Americans. I know a few Canadians who don’t even like going there.

And of course, most of the stuffy Americans can be found on SciFi.com

The gorilla comment is the kind of resentment and attitude that Squishy is talking about.

But why is there even any bitter feelings? Better to make friends and trade tapes and stuff like that. Trade your unedited season 3 tapes for season 4 tapes or something

Anonymous

Unfortunately, there does seem to be a growing trend to bash Americans in England, I recently went to the Manchester United site (I don’t support them, Liverpool is my team), and they were having an anti-american week with pages of nasty remarks…idiots.
    The only thing that I don’t like about America,(actually this isn’t even America’s fault), our gutless PM Blair just follows America in eveything it does…including wars. If a US president says jump, our leaders ask how high, It’s been this way for some time and though I don’t think that we should turn around to America and say we don’t need you, there are some things that Mr Blair could say no to.
    Like this Star Wars shield, no offence, but we are going to build a tracking station in this country that will be the early warning system and probably the most important part of the Star Wars technology. But here’s the good bit, the shield won’t protect the UK from nukes, and by building this we may as well slap a big bullseye on the UK, because if anyone did start they would hit us first.
    In my mind that’s wrong.
    And I think that the rest of the UK are beginning to get fed up with the ‘We love you America, and feel free to use us for what you see fit’ attitude coming from our own government.
    Most people are expressing themselves wrongly in the UK, and think that attacking individuals in the states is the answer…well those people are idiots.
    As American citizens cannot stop the actions of their government anymore than we can, so it’s a bit unfair on you guys.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

Yeah, Squishy… makes you wonder what the hell happened to democracy.

btw UK people… most of us Americans hate our leaders and what they do too. The nice thing about monarchies is that they are easy to over throw. Trying to replace Congress and the Senate through a forum they have control over is like asking your boss politely to fire himself.

ThanX for the insight Squishy. It’s that kind of mentality that leads to racism and prejudice not unlike how Hitler felt towards the Jews.

——————
    “The best defense is a strong offense.. and I intend to start offending right now.”
    -James T. Kirk

Anonymous

X, I wouldn’t say it was easy to overthrow a monarchy anymore, as the Queen really has no power in this country. She now really serves as an icon and basically is a tourist attraction, although she still can decide on who to give peerages and knighthoods to.
    Really this country no longer needs a royal family, and the country is split down the middle on this, but most of the royals are spongers (with the exception of The Queen, Princess Anne and Prince Charles, who do lot’s of work for charity…the rest get paid for doing nothing).
    Our Parliament is in so many ways like your Congress, they pull the strings and decide on this country’s policies. But like yourselves, we don’t have a single party that act’s for what the people want, they get into power and then go and do whatever they think is best…but every single leader continues to behave like a puppet for whatever the President of the United States wants.
    I’m not saying that we should ignore the US, just don’t follow them in everything they do, it’s time that we stood on our own two feet.
    The US Government have a knack of being the trouble shooters around the world, basically going into armed conflicts and trying to difuse it, when really they should leave these countries to their own devices…unless the UN see’s it as being a problem.
    Trouble is that the UK will follow the US into battle, even when we have no business being there.
    I’m not saying the US or the UK should turn a blind eye or run away, only that a bigger scale global conflict seems to threaten whenever a small country is involved, that’s scary, we forfeit our lives for the sake of a tiny country that is at war with itself.
    I believe in a future where we act as Planet Earth and don’t have these divisions between us.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

Hi Squish… my name is Nika… I just signed on… I was looking at your topic… I definetely want to say thank you for sticking up for us… I do agree that we have made a huge contribution to the popularity of Lexx… Lexx is a great show, despite all of the reviews… but waht do critics know? Anyways, you were talking about some spoilers? I think I can help you out… but I don’t want to tell all of it and spoil every single thing, now do I? (yeah! Don’t worry… I won’t… no, really… I won’t…) Okay, In the first episode, we all know Xev still has the key… right? Okay, cool… Prince is some kind of advisor for the President of the United States (the prez is going to replaced by Priest)… Prince keeps insisting that *the aliens* (crew of Lexx) are a threat and need to be dealt with in an orderly manner… in other words, they have the prez trying to read off of cards that just don’t make any sense… let’s fast-forward a bit… but not much… Prince sends a convicted felon & friends up to the Lexx to kill the crew (con has weird fetish for fingernails…kills people, and then tidies up their fingernails for free)… they meet up with 790, who is trying to get goody-good with Stanley (he wants Stanley to kill Xev so that he can have Kai all to himself…herself…itself, and Stanley could get the key back), and 790 tells them everything they need to know about Xev… con makes Xev believe that he, too, is a love-slave… it ends up just as Xev is going to get what she wants, con pulls out a gun and almost shoots her… thus, she looses the key… ~sniff sniff~… Kai fortunately blocks the bullet, and Xev is saved… he also killed con’s friends… ~yea!~
    Okay I’m tired… my brain’s beat… just remembering it gives me a memory lapse (j/k… but I really am tired)… that one was for Squish… sombody help me out and tell them the 2nd and 3rd episodes…
    I’m hittin’ the hay!
    Nika
    P.S.- I guess I did spoil it! (hee hee hee ;D)

[This message has been edited by Nika (edited August 01, 2001).]

Anonymous

I know about the Parliment. Sorry, I was speaking of monarchies in general not about the Royal Family, which is more a figure head now than anything.

I do very much agree with you on the US trying to act like big brother for the whole world. However, I’m sure whatever conflicts the US has stuck it’s nose in have somehow benefitted or protected the US either directly or indirectly, to serve the greater interest of the US down the road. Too bad we can’t make the politicians go and fight each other, instead of them sending someone else to do it for them. I swear, but I could be wrong, that President is Commander In Chief, so you would think he would lead the charge into all these little forays. Isn’t that what George Washington did? put his own ass on the line.

——————
    “The best defense is a strong offense.. and I intend to start offending right now.”
    -James T. Kirk

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by X:
    …most of us Americans hate our leaders and what they do too.

It’s gotten so I’m almost embarrassed to be an American (no to mention – a Minnesotan, where a WWF wrestler governs).

——————
    – Aurora

Anonymous

Thanx Nika for the spoilers, I know that not everybody wants to see them, but I’m sure glad you posted them.
    Good ol’ Kai, dispatching those bad guys with ease, you gotta love him. If the whole planet sent an army against him, even with rockets and nukes and the kitchen sink, they still wouldn’t faze him…so what chance a couple of cons and psychopath!!!
    What would Stan and Xev do without him, even the Lexx couldn’t stop Kai, and he’s even cool when he’s doin the biz with his brace, he’s kinda like a fonzie for the millennium…without the personality.
    Anyway, it was very kind of you to let me know some of what’s going on and I really appreciate it, so looking forward to S4 when I read about it.
    And hey I have no problem sticking up for you guys, I think too many people have a single view about Americans in this country, and if you guys are anything to go by…then they need to get their heads out of their you know what’s.
    Thanx again,
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

X, George W on the frontline, I can just picture it, he’d come out with one of those classic one liners which are so funny.
    I heard one the other day, apparently he said something like ‘Most of our imports come from overseas’…Genius!!!
    I can see the enemy dying with laughter with one of those classics, kinda like the one in the monty python sketches.
    I agree that the US has been successful in avoiding trouble down the line, the Gulf War was entirely neccessary, but they should have finished Sad-man Hussain off.
    The conflict in the far east (I think it was South Korea) was not looking too good, China got it’s feathers ruffled and it was looking a bit hairy for a while.
    I just think that the US being part of the UN should for the best part let them decide on action, the view is to some in this country (and to some extent Europe) is that the US is gung-ho, and that the US Army is full John Rambo’s who love nothing more than getting into a big scrap with the bad guys.
    I must admit there has been times that I’ve been shaking my head, wondering why the US and the UK have got involved, it must look like to China that we can impose our law on any part of the world…I think that irks China.
    But the results of these foray’s have been to the benefit of both countries, yet there may come a time where China thinks enough is enough and starts something.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

DalekTek790
    Participant

I don’t understand British slang and I’ve been wondering, what does “peeps” mean?

And while I’m on the subject, what is the definition of “hoopy” (SadGeezer keeps using that adjective)? Is it anything like daft?

Do Brits really call people “smeg-head,” or is that a term made up by Doug-Naylor?

And what’s a bloke? Is it just any bugger?

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    I don’t understand British slang and I’ve been wondering, what does “peeps” mean?

Short (often affectionate) for “people.” Is not limited to British slang, and is used frequently in the States.

And while I’m on the subject, what is the definition of “hoopy” (SadGeezer keeps using that adjective)? Is it anything like daft?

Hoopy, as defined in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, is defined as “really together guy.” I guess, since it sounds like an adjective, some people have used it to describe really together guys. The next level up from hoopy is “frood,” which means “really amazingly together guy.” Used in a sentence: “Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There’s a frood who really knows where his towel is.” (“Sass”: Know, be aware of, have sex with.)

And what’s a bloke? Is it just any bugger?

Just a guy.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Aleck is spot on with the slang I’ve been using, terribly British of me wot, wot!!!
    I think a lot of the old English language is not used anymore, which is a shame, because I heard an old wives tale that Americans like the way we speak.
    Personally, I wish I could talk like Sean Connery (even though he’s scottish) or Patrick Stewart (he’s from Yorkshire ya know),they manage to make English sound sexy.
    People in England did use ‘Smeg Head’ a lot when Red Dwarf was at the height of it’s powers, now we’re saying ‘Woz up’ from the bud adverts.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

“peeps” is slang for “people” refferring to family members or people you are close to, used as a term of endearment.

I believe it first gained popularity in the US rap scene.

Personally I use a lot of rap slang, or at least I used to. Words like “po po” used to refer to the police just sound childish.

I do find myself using British Xpressions from all the Brit SciFi I watch. Some of my US friends are always debating with me the propper spelling of the word “git” they think it’s “get”.. or maybe I got that backwards.. anyways.. I’m curious… how should it be spelled?

——————
    -James T. Kirk

[This message has been edited by X (edited August 02, 2001).]

Anonymous

You’re right. I guess all the taunting we’ve gotten since Jessie got elected has gotten to me. I used to be more open-minded about it – really! Besides, it’s got nothing to do with Lexx – so who cares!

——————
    – Aurora

Anonymous

X, where on earth did your friends get the impression that ‘get’ was a slang word?, you are right again, as ‘git’ is slang for idiot in Britain.
    I actually am quite surprised that a lot of our slang is unknown to the US, I thought ‘git’ was something that was used worldwide.
    Most of our slang comes from you guys, as we tend to think that American slang is hip and cool.
    I used to have a friend who thought it cool to pretend he was from the states, he would mimic an accent and use slang that most of us hadn’t heard in an attempt to make himself popular. It kinda backfired on him, because nobody would believe he came from the US, to this day we don’t know for sure, but there were certain little pointers to make us believe he wasn’t.
    Back then most people looked upon the US as one cool place, I’m not sure whether that’s changed, but the US was just so glamourous and made England look boring in comparison.
    I loved making friends with Americans and would meet a lot because of coming from Oxford, I found them wacky and lively people and great fun to be around…kinda like you guys.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

DalekTek790
    Participant

Oh, “git” as in idiot, not “git” as in “git goin’.” No wonder X’s post seemed confusing.

I remember Rimmer getting called a git on Red Dwarf.

Oh, and just a tip (if you want to sound American), nobody around here calls our country “the states.”

——————

lizard
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Squish:
    Aleck is spot on with the slang I’ve been using, terribly British of me wot, wot!!!
    I think a lot of the old English language is not used anymore, which is a shame, because I heard an old wives tale that Americans like the way we speak.
    Squishy

As a young maiden, any European accent was enough to make me swoon! (Now, if I manage to grab onto a nearby mantle piece or table I can manage to stay off the floor.)

Anonymous

quote:

Oh, and just a tip (if you want to sound American), nobody around here calls our country “the states.”

Odd, since I say “the States” pretty frequently. More frequently than I do “America” or “the US.”

–Aleck

Anonymous

Dalektek790, I don’t say ‘the states’ because I want to sound American, the English accent is far too defined to mimic any other nationality.
    I like the people in US, doesn’t mean I’m going to start speaking in their accent, I couldn’t do it even if I wanted to, as an American (and Englishman) would pick it off as false straight away.
    To some in the UK, I sound like a farmer, and to me they sound the same way, even though I hail from the city that is England’s seat of learning…Oxford.
    If you think ‘the states’ is not the correct term, then maybe you can advise me what is?
    Anyway, most of my friends from my ‘Uni’ days were American, and they never took exception to the way I spoke about their homeland.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

Hey, Lizard, I’ve got a friend who’s got this authentic sounding English accent, you know very olde English style, most think he’s a toff (means posh, if you didn’t know), but it’s just his upbringing, really he’s a lad like the rest of us.
    Maybe I should tape him and sell the tapes to bored American housewives, there could be some money to be made. I’ll send you a copy if you like (not that you’re a bored American housewife), but if it has that effect on you, imagine what it would do for them!!!
    You could be our agent in the US, and we could go on tour quoting Shakespeare, eat your heart out Ricky Martin.
    And my friends name is Giles, even his name reeks of English upper class.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

trillian
    Participant

Heya! *waves enthusiastically*

Squish: Thank you. I’m glad, if not overjoyed, to hear your opinion. I was really beginning to get the feeling USAmericans just weren’t wanted as fans of Lexx.

And as a “bored American housewife” go ahead and use any phrase you feel the need to use. I’ll just sit here and smile a lot.

*all-humor-intended-in-this-post, but-hearing-opinions-are-fine-with-poster-as-long-as-said-opinions-are-posted-with-respect*

——————
    “…we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what normal is anyway.”

[This message has been edited by trillian (edited August 02, 2001).]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wherefore dost thou gettest that idea?

Anonymous

Hey Trillian, sorry about the bored American Housewife bit, I imagine some get bored with being at home all day, but then there are some that fill their day with all sorts of interesting things…like having an affair with the milkman!!!
    I don’t know how long you guys in the US have been getting Lexx, but from what I gather it hasn’t been too long. I’m so glad that you are seeing it for two reasons:
    1)So you can see that it’s the best programme ever.
    2) And because Lexx might continue now it has the weight and support of you guys behind it.
    I hope that everyone in America starts watching Lexx, so we can enjoy more of it…you lot count, don’t let anyone tell you different.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by aurora:
    It’s gotten so I’m almost embarrassed to be an American (no to mention – a Minnesotan, where a WWF wrestler governs).

What is wrong with WWF wrestlers, they are normal people like everyone else, so whats wrong with one being governor of Minnesota?

——————
    quoth the Raven ‘nevermore’

DalekTek790
    Participant

I’m curious: where do you live, Aleck? When I say “around here” I mean the Midwest. I don’t know much about dialects in other parts of the country. I’ve never heard anyone use the term “the states” to refer to the U.S., except Brits and Aussies.

Here’s some Old English for ya, Squish ( ):

Hwรฆt! We Gรกrde-
    na in geรกr-dagum, รพรฉod-cyninga
    รพrym ge-frรบnon, hรบ รฐรก รฆรพelingas ellen
    fre-medon!

Beowulf, ca. 750 A.D.

——————

Anonymous

——————————————————————————–
    Cat said:
    Wherefore dost thou gettest that idea?

I dunno really, like I said an old wives tale, sort of rumour and myth I suppose.
    It could from the English actors abroad, I mean Patrick Stewart, Hugh Grant, Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan have done well because of both their accents and acting ability (Wasn’t Sean and Patrick voted world’s sexist men at some point?).
    Also you got the great evil British actors like Sir Ian McKellen, Robert Carlyle and of course Nigel Bennett, I think that their accents lead many Americans to believe that we all have such refined voices in the UK.
    Personally, I think that a deep english accent can be appealing, but I’m not sure whether the US likes it or loathes it.
    I saw one programme the other day that seemed to say Americans like the accent, it was called Las Vegas Uncovered on Sky T.V, in it these fun loving UK tourists were complimented on their accents by a few of the natives.
    There’s not to much much to boast about Britain these days, but at least we have nice accents…or not!!!
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

Hwรฆt! We Gรกrde-
    na in geรกr-dagum, รพรฉod-cyninga
    รพrym ge-frรบnon, hรบ รฐรก รฆรพelingas ellen
    fre-medon!

-Beowulf, ca. 750 A.D.

You sure that was Beowulf Dalektek?, I think that was the Queen’s speech last Christmas when she’d been knocking back the Queen Mother’s brandy!!!
    Anyway, I didn’t understand a word of it, how can Beowulf be a classic when it’s written in Urdu?…can you translate?
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

DalekTek790
    Participant

There are a lot of possible translations, which differ slightly in wording but not in meaning. Here’s my favorite translation of the beginning:

Lo! We hear
    of glory in days past, clan kings
    Spear-Danes, and what honor these noblemen
    won!

There’s a great Beowulf site here.

——————

[This message has been edited by DalekTek790 (edited August 03, 2001).]

Anonymous

I use the term “the states” as well when I’m talking to people outside.. the states.. But what do I know.. my speech patterns and pronounciations have been infected by watching way too much Red Dwarf and Doctor Who.

I love to immitate British aXXents, but I only hear them on TV and usually SciFi shows that take place away from Earth, so I don’t know what region and class I’m mimicking half the time.

America is a cool and wacky place. Unfortunately as DalekTek790 proves which each post, the stupid people are always the most vocal. Probably because stupid people ask more questions or think they know more than anyone else thus feeling the need to open their traps.

How else do you think a cocaine snorting president got elected? And he was our Govenor in TeXas for the longest. I had a hard enough time with employment then, but now that he’s running the whole country.. God help us!! and I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that since Bush took over prices have inflated and we’re suddenly in a recession.

I know “smeghead” got started in Red Dwarf, but what about “git”?

——————
    -James T. Kirk

Anonymous

There are a lot of possible translations, which differ slightly in wording but not in meaning. Here’s my favorite translation of the beginning:

Lo! We hear
    of glory in days past, clan kings
    Spear-Danes, and what honor these noblemen
    won!

Nope that wasn’t the Queen’s peech(hic), sorry Dalektek, even when you translated it, I still don’t understand it!!!
    Even though I remember studying it at school, it’s nice for a quote, especially if you have somebody who’s never heard of Beowulf on the receiving end.
    Anyway, thanx for the translation, It would have bugged me not knowing what it meant, now if I could just understand what the Queen is rabbiting on about!!!
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

I’m curious: where do you live, Aleck? When I say “around here” I mean the Midwest.

That’s what I took you to mean. I’m originally from Alabama, spent a number of years in Seattle, 2 years in Los Angeles, and this is my second year in the Washington, DC Metro area. I’ve used the term “the states” for so long I can’t remember where it came from, but I think it has probably come from years of discussions about foreign films and the foreign availability of American films.

–Aleck

Anonymous

With the exception of a few posts from nutters, I haven’t seem much anti US feeling.

The UK has had it ptrtty good in terms of seeing LEXX shows. While Chan 5 and UK Sci Fi are important contributors to the coffers of Salter Street, it’s VERY unlikely that they will ever have the buying power of the bigger US cable stations.

And lets not forget, If it wasn’t for the US Sci Fi channel buying LEXX Season 4 (I don’t think they bought into the production, just the rights to screen), I personally don’t think that LEXX IV would have been made.

Regarding Americans, I’ve nerver met a bad one yet (and most peeps o’er ‘ere feel the same way).

And my boss is American and I work for an American company!

——————

Anonymous

Oops,

Sorry. I’ve just realised that this topic was Two pages long and missed that you guys had moved on somewhat from the earlier discussion.

My only excuse is that I’m drunk and it’s 5am ๐Ÿ™‚

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by X:
    I use the term “the states” as well when I’m talking to people outside.. the states.. But what do I know.. my speech patterns and pronounciations have been infected by watching way too much Red Dwarf and Doctor Who.
    *Squish: Wow, you must sound really strange then, are you now sounding like a Dalek from Liverpool?, well that’s the side effects of Sci-fi for you.
    I should talk as I’m rapidly turning into Stanley Tweedle, no women in the Universe wants to know me and I can’t get any!!!
    Then there’s days that I have a strong compulsion for brains, I wonder what it all means.

I love to immitate British aXXents, but I only hear them on TV and usually SciFi shows that take place away from Earth, so I don’t know what region and class I’m mimicking half the time.

*Squishy:Funny that, I was always trying to do Riker when I was younger ‘Sheilds up, Red Alert’, and then it was Highlander ‘There can be only one’, it got the stage where I was diagnosed with mutiple personality syndrome!!!
    Anyway, if you’re doing Lister, then it’s Liverpool, if you’re doing Rimmer, then probably Oxford or Cambridge.
    Liverpool is really easy, or you have to do is say ‘Alright Barry, heh, calm down, calm down’ and with the calm down you say Kalm down, and it helps if you’re good at a bit of Irish.
    If you want London, then try to sound like Vinnie Jones and put ‘Easy’ in front of everything you say.

America is a cool and wacky place. Unfortunately as DalekTek790 proves which each post, the stupid people are always the most vocal. Probably because stupid people ask more questions or think they know more than anyone else thus feeling the need to open their traps.

That’s the great thing about America, you get all sorts of people, people love watching Oprah and Ricki and David Letterman over here, you can see it on their faces when they see all the strange and wonderful people that appear on those shows, it’s a sense of disbelief…they really think that it’s all stage managed, and that no-one is really like that.
    There is such a huge cultural divide between the two countries, if the UK had to move there, we wouldn’t last five minutes!!!
    This country has so many taboo’s and is not open to change, we never get to see the other side of the coin.

How else do you think a cocaine snorting president got elected? And he was our Govenor in TeXas for the longest. I had a hard enough time with employment then, but now that he’s running the whole country.. God help us!! and I’m sure it’s just a coincidence that since Bush took over prices have inflated and we’re suddenly in a recession.

They knew about the coke and they still elected him, the opposition must have really been bad. It was quite funny when the news was read over here, coz either you were voting for Bush (rude term for womens you know what) or Gore (term for lot’s of blood), seemed like a trashy T.V station.!!!
    But I haven’t heard from anyone in the US (careful not use the states) that likes Bush (The president I mean), I hope nobody puts any cocaine on the nuke button for a joke.

I know “smeghead” got started in Red Dwarf, but what about “git”?

Git has been around since before I was born, I don’t know where it came from, but it didn’t come from Sci-fi talk.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    With the exception of a few posts from nutters, I haven’t seem much anti US feeling.

The UK has had it ptrtty good in terms of seeing LEXX shows. While Chan 5 and UK Sci Fi are important contributors to the coffers of Salter Street, it’s VERY unlikely that they will ever have the buying power of the bigger US cable stations.

And lets not forget, If it wasn’t for the US Sci Fi channel buying LEXX Season 4 (I don’t think they bought into the production, just the rights to screen), I personally don’t think that LEXX IV would have been made.

Regarding Americans, I’ve nerver met a bad one yet (and most peeps o’er ‘ere feel the same way).

And my boss is American and I work for an American company!

You’re quite right Sadgeezer, we all tend to get along well on this board…which is nice.
    I’ve just seen a lot of un-neccessary rude remarks being printed about people in the US from this country, and it would be a shame if those people were to ruin this board with their views.
    I like this board because there is none of that going on, and I think the people who frequent the board can be proud of that.
    Thing is Sadgeezer, is that Ch5 and Sci-fi just condemn Lexx to the late hours, it may have even got the chance to gain some sponsorship in this country if they had shown it at a more reasonable time.
    People in the UK are probably completely unaware of Lexx thanx to Ch5 and Sci-fi, I don’t know why they even bother to air it considering the disrespect they treat it with.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

trillian
    Participant

quote:

Hey Trillian, sorry about the bored American Housewife bit, I imagine some get bored with being at home all day, but then there are some that fill their day with all sorts of interesting things…like having an affair with the milkman!!!….
    Squishy

LOL! That makes me smile. But it would more likely be the postman *shudder, mine is about a 100 years old* or the UPS guy. *Send me packages by UPS, NOW!* Wait, knowing my luck, the UPS guy is probably gay. ๐Ÿ˜›

Seriously, don’t worry about it, no offense was taken what-so-ever.

On to other matters: About the President: GAH! couldn’t we get more choices? Barney the dinosaur? Or how about La La?

BUT, I don’t see why you should complain about a cocaine snorting past alcoholic when the last President was a *censored* and a *beep* and furthermore *blackbar*. Politicians bite muchly, I hope Lexx gets around to gobbling them.

I found England to be great fun when I visited ten years ago. The taxi drivers in Cornwall were extremely helpful and understanding to two lost people late at night. I’m pretty sure that taxi drivers in New York would be hard pressed to find an unknown street with a bed and breakfast they had never heard of.

——————
    “…we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what normal is anyway.”

Anonymous

Hey X, I’ve never been to the Sci-fi board is it really that bad?
    I would have too say that I’ve never come across an unpleasant American before either, but that’s not to say they are not out there.
    The one thing that does seem obvious is that even though you have such a big country, it seems like you’re all packed in like sardines.
    That’s gotta cause some friction, on the whole I think some people take Sci-fi a little too seriously for my tastes, it’s nice that this board can have a pleasant banter without it getting too hairy.
    I think that the moderators have done a good job of playing down any nastiness that may occur.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

On to other matters: About the President: GAH! couldn’t we get more choices? Barney the dinosaur? Or how about La La?

*Squish: We have a party over here called the monster raving loony party, do you have something similar?
    You really can’t win with Presidents, either they are too young and corrupted, or too old and senile.

BUT, I don’t see why you should complain about a cocaine snorting past alcoholic when the last President was a *censored* and a *beep* and furthermore *blackbar*. Politicians bite muchly, I hope Lexx gets around to gobbling them.

*Squish: I always thought Jimmy Carter seemed like a nice guy (probably wasn’t), but Clinton was looking good for a while, then he had to go and ruin it.
    It’s not a good idea Lexx eating them…it would turn his stomach!!!
    As for Bush, the things he’s said just make him sound stupid, even Reagan appeared to make more sense than him!!!
    Anyway, I shouldn’t really be commentating on your leaders when ours are just as bad, ah well, it could be worse…Stan could be running the country!!!

I found England to be great fun when I visited ten years ago. The taxi drivers in Cornwall were extremely helpful and understanding to two lost people late at night. I’m pretty sure that taxi drivers in New York would be hard pressed to find an unknown street with a bed and breakfast they had never heard of

*Taxi drivers are an enigma in the UK, they are so chatty and will bend over backwards to help you, lovely people, I wish everyone had their attitude.
    Did you go to the castle in Cornwall, where they say King Arthur’s remains are said to be buried?
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

DalekTek790
    Participant

We’ll have to see what George W. Priest or whatever his name is does. I assume he’s just Prince’s puppet.

——————

Anonymous

Well, Trill,

Remeber.. I live in TeXas and he’s been our Govenor for 4 years… now we gotta deal with him as President. What was so wrong with Clinton? At least he knew the names of the other countries he was dealing with.

DalekTek790, to wipe you from Xistence would rob of me a good laugh on a regular basis.

——————
    -James T. Kirk

Anonymous

ThanX, Squishy!

I tend to mimick other people too, one of my favorites is Tuvok from Voyager. I found a really cool wav of him saying, “would you like a burrito?” classic stuff, fancy fancy fancy.

Well, to be honest I can’t really blame some UK peeps for not liking Americans as there quite a lot of them who aren’t very nice and usually those people are very vocal. I post here more to get away from the mostly belligerent attitude of the SciFi.com bb which is full of crazy irrate Americans. Sad, you say you never met an American you had had problems with.. man wish I had your luck

I didn’t even bother to vote this time btw. I also saw some fan footage from after the UnCon or whatever where Lex G was making fun of Bush. Now, there’s an informed man. I was quite surprised he was keeping up with those sort of things. Such a funny if homoseXually repressed guy can’t wait to see what they do with new the President on the show.

——————
    -James T. Kirk

trillian
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by X:
    Well, Trill,

Remeber.. I live in TeXas and he’s been our Govenor for 4 years… now we gotta deal with him as President. What was so wrong with Clinton? At least he knew the names of the other countries he was dealing with.

DalekTek790, to wipe you from Xistence would rob of me a good laugh on a regular basis.

X, sweetie pie, my grandma always said don’t discuss politics or religion. I know why she said that, because you can’t change anyone’s mind, but when did I ever listen to granny?

This is an opinion: Clinton was a smooth southern talker. He really didn’t do a whole lot when it comes to policies. Really, I’m hard pressed to think of what he did do while in the white house that was productive for the American people. BUT I didn’t vote, so I can’t jump up and down to loudly. Also, he was caught in a blatent lie. Now, I don’t know about you, but one of my pet peeves is being lied to. To me, it’s cowardice and stupidity that makes people lie the big lies. Also, if he is not truthful about one thing, what else isn’t he being truthful about? If he was so smart, why couldn’t he think of a better way out of the situation besides out and out fibbing?

I don’t believe Clinton’s numbers on the economy or anything for one minute. He was a manipulator on the grandest scale. I always think of him as a CEO of a company that hid factual numbers, thinking his employees weren’t smart enough or brave enough to deal with the truth. I know that statistics and numbers can be manipulated into what the poll takers want the numbers to be, on both sides of the polling.

Why Bush? First off, he came out and said up front, I was an alcoholic. I’m not perfect…etc. At least he was smart enough to know he couldn’t hide it. I think that George Bush, although not a smooth talker, realizes when he needs help and depends on the people he has as advisors. And although Mr. Bush wasn’t the top of the class, he sure as hell achieved more than a lot of the late night talk show hosts and comedians that make fun of him.

Why not Gore? Because of a little thing Mrs. Gore created so long ago: The PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center) What’s that? It’s a “watchdog” group she created to censor the music industry. You can thank god they didn’t get as much of their agenda done as they wanted, and you can thank Tipper for those annoying warning stickers. Was this the kind of people I wanted in the White House? NOPE. Lord only knows what other forms of censorship she would have created whilst in the background.

I’m not from Texas, so I don’t know what he did there. How was the voting from Texas? did he win the presidency there by a landslide? or did he squeak by there too?

hrmph, I hate presidential elections, it always comes down to the lesser of two evils.
    Oops, I wandered way off the topic.

——————

Anonymous

I suppose the one thing you could say about Clinton, was that he showed he’s infallible like the rest of us.
    Presidents are always supposed to be whiter than white, so when Clinton got caught with his trousers down (literally), we were reminded that we are still dealing with a human being, as for him lying about, well it’s not exactly your average domestic dispute you’re dealing with.
    Still he should have known better, but then maybe what he got up to is going on all the time in the corriders of power, he was just the unlucky one who got caught.
    I bet there was a split argument going at the time, with some saying ‘Ok, he did wrong…but’s he’s doing a pretty fine job as President, and besides his personal life shouldn’t reflect on on how he runs the country’… and those that just could not excuse him for his actions, it seemed the whole thing was blown out of proportion, mainly by the media.
    Same goes for George W, had a problem as an achoholic, and that will be with him through out his term. The thing about acoholic’s is that they are never cured, and for an acoholic to be doing the most demanding job in world is madness, he’s going to need watching all the time, just in case he feels like a sly bourbon while no one’s looking.
    I hate to think what would happen if he had a drop while meeting Putin, he’d probably end up doing an impression of a russian ballerina round the conference table!!!
    To be fair, he’s no worse than Clinton, at least as far as major mistakes in your life goes.
    God, I’m really getting into this, next thing you’ll know I’ll have US citizenship and be running for governer against Jessie Ventura…god help you all!!!
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by trillian:
    Also, he was caught in a blatent lie. Now, I don’t know about you, but one of my pet peeves is being lied to. To me, it’s cowardice and stupidity that makes people lie the big lies. Also, if he is not truthful about one thing, what else isn’t he being truthful about? If he was so smart, why couldn’t he think of a better way out of the situation besides out and out fibbing?

I was watching Eddie Izzard last night, and he summed it up nicely: “The US government lied to the Native Americans for many, many years. President Clinton lies, and everyone’s surprised. A bit naive, eh?”

Why Bush? First off, he came out and said up front, I was an alcoholic. I’m not perfect…etc. At least he was smart enough to know he couldn’t hide it.

Ummm…he *did* try to hide it. Or at least some of the facts about it. He claimed that he hadn’t been arrested in X number of years (I forget the precise number), and when it came out that he was arrested for drunk driving well *after* that, he gave the Clintonian excuse that he was “just trying to protect his daughters.” Then there’s the whole “I was a pilot in the reserves during the Vietnam war” story, when nobody seems to remember having seen him around. There are the lies he told regarding the cost of his tax cut, and the lies he told about his environmental policies on the campaign trail, etc. Oh, Bush isn’t trying to hide *anything*. Certainly not his cocaine use, which he still hasn’t commented on (or is he trying to protect his daughters from that as well?).

I think that George Bush, although not a smooth talker, realizes when he needs help and depends on the people he has as advisors. And although Mr. Bush wasn’t the top of the class, he sure as hell achieved more than a lot of the late night talk show hosts and comedians that make fun of him.

Bush achieved his dream of becoming President. A dream he’s had since he was 40. Bush wasn’t even able to successfully run a company, why should anyone have faith in his ability to run a country? Oh, that’s right…the majority of the people in this country *didn’t* have faith in his ability to run a country. I won’t even mention the incredible number of shady things that went on behind the scenes in the state that W’s brother governs, the state that the whole election rested on, except that if these things happened in a third world country, the UN would have stepped in to oversee the election process…

Why not Gore? Because of a little thing Mrs. Gore created so long ago: The PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center) What’s that? It’s a “watchdog” group she created to censor the music industry. You can thank god they didn’t get as much of their agenda done as they wanted, and you can thank Tipper for those annoying warning stickers. Was this the kind of people I wanted in the White House? NOPE. Lord only knows what other forms of censorship she would have created whilst in the background.

Hmmm…given the choice between that and a presidency that would take steps to kowtow to big business interests, drill for oil in a wildlife refuge, loosen environmental standards, potentially stack the Supreme Court with justices that would (with the help of the other conservative schmucks he’s appointing like John Ashcroft) work to overturn Roe v. Wade…I don’t know, but I’d have to say that I worry less about presidential actions against music.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

I bet there was a split argument going at the time, with some saying ‘Ok, he did wrong…but’s he’s doing a pretty fine job as President, and besides his personal life shouldn’t reflect on on how he runs the country’… and those that just could not excuse him for his actions, it seemed the whole thing was blown out of proportion, mainly by the media.

Opinion in the States at the time was “so freakin’ what?” Clinton’s popularity among the populace was actually *increasing* during the whole Lewinsky deal, and most people saw the whole thing for what it was: a handful of politicians refusing to let go of the issue and using it to attempt to drive Clinton out of the White House, and the media unable to let go of a juicy story. I think most people recognize that politicians are to be judged on how they run their office, and not how they live their lives, and saw the hypocrisy of the actions against him (I mean, where were the conservative pundits when Newt Gingrich was having an affair while his wife was in the hospital dying from cancer?).

–Aleck

Anonymous

Originally posted by Aleck:
    Opinion in the States at the time was “so freakin’ what?” Clinton’s popularity among the populace was actually *increasing* during the whole Lewinsky deal, and most people saw the whole thing for what it was: a handful of politicians refusing to let go of the issue and using it to attempt to drive Clinton out of the White House, and the media unable to let go of a juicy story. I think most people recognize that politicians are to be judged on how they run their office, and not how they live their lives, and saw the hypocrisy of the actions against him (I mean, where were the conservative pundits when Newt Gingrich was having an affair while his wife was in the hospital dying from cancer?).

It was the same in the UK when Princess Di was having an affair, being married to that boring prat who could blame her. She was a lovely lady who never hurt anyone, and our disgusting excuse for the media tortured her at every turn, and the hypocrites then had the nerve to say all these charming things about her when she died, after all the time they spent hounding her.
    It’s like you say, the media actually believes that people will buy a paper or watch the news because of somebody’s private life, it’s none of our business what they choose to do in private, so long as they are doing the job asked of them.
    I liked Clinton, coz after all that was said and done he was doing a good job, but I think that’s what made him a target.
    As for Di, even though the French courts said differently, I still pin the blame soully on the media circus that followed them that night and not the driver.
    Those people are leeches and scum, and they should have been charged with manslaughter, they conveniently use the freedom of the press act to ensure that people like Di, are made to suffer, and then claim it’s done in the interests of the people…they are simply sub-human twisted scum.
    Squishy

——————
    Squishy

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.