arrrgghhhhh!!!!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

WTF is wrong with some people??? listening to the showbiz slot on the radio yesterday, i heard the lurverly news that the next series of ‘PopStars'(reality tv kak)was being shelved for fear that the bubble for this kind of tv was bursting. along with this, i heard the delighful news that Victoria Beckham really wanted to be a judge on the show. fine. i also listened to the presenters going almost orgasmic over the events in the previous night’s soaps (like i REALLY care…). the final article on the slot went something like “the new Star Trek film premiered in Holywood last night…but no-one wants to hear about that..”, then came the sarcastic comments. ARRRRGGGGHHH!!! apart from the fact I wanted to know, why do people find it necessary to have a go at Trek??? it really gets on my nerves when people think that there’s going to be no-one out there that’s going to be offended by what they say… what do you guys think? do you ever find yourselves in the same kind of situation? is the mainstream just out to get sci-fi fans???

Flamegrape
    Participant

Whenever I’m around someone who makes fun of Star Trek, I sarcasticly remark, “Yes, isn’t it stupid that some people have a vision of the future where we don’t all destroy ourselves because of politics or religeon? Or even stupidly hope that famine and disease will be eliminated? That people can actually persue their own interests and fulfill their own potential instead of being a slave to the system? Oh, God, how utterly stupid!”

ADM
    Participant

Firstly I’m sick of reality t.v shows like the awful popstars, it’s trash for trash, it’s for the bored stupid generation who have difficulty motivating the single brain cell they possess, the same people who watch soaps.
    As for Star Trek, well I’ve said it before, the people who like the show are genuine and friendly, but unfortunately the media pick out the worst and put them on public display, i.e the balding overweight 40 somethings who walk around in ill fitting starfleet garb, and those who have an I.Q of 10 and can’t put a single sentence together and laugh for no reason.
    I recently saw a documentary called Trekkers and it did not once focus on your everyday joe in the street, but on the people who just make you cringe.
    Now with that kind of exposure it really is no surprise people see only one side to the star trek phenomenon.
    It’s sad to say, but in most people’s mind if you like Trek, then you must also be a loner and like trainspotting, to these people it’s impossible to believe that trek fans can also be someone who has lots of friends and goes out on the town, has lots of one night flings and is popular.
    It’s a stigma that will never change.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:
    Whenever I’m around someone who makes fun of Star Trek, I sarcasticly remark, “Yes, isn’t it stupid that some people have a vision of the future where we don’t all destroy ourselves because of politics or religeon? Or even stupidly hope that famine and disease will be eliminated? That people can actually persue their own interests and fulfill their own potential instead of being a slave to the system? Oh, God, how utterly stupid!”

Quite the mouthful – do they give you a chance to finish all those sentences?

mandara k
    Participant

Whoa, Flame back the shuttlecraft up a little. No violence? What about Klingons? No disease; why are there so many shows that are based on fighting one disease or another?

We are not ready to colonize space yet; we can’t even agree on how to get this planet up and running right; IMHO if man individually and collectively cannot find a way to control himself we will just take the bad and good that is man right into space with him. That frightens me. It’s scary enough that they are doing a p—— contest with nukes and wmd’s!

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by mandara k:
    Whoa, Flame back the shuttlecraft up a little. No violence? What about Klingons? No disease; why are there so many shows that are based on fighting one disease or another?

hi mandara and all, actually, rereading flame’s post, he said a show where we weren’t destroying ourselves over politics and religion, and technically, at least in the original series, he is right…whenever those old coots got wrapped up in a fight they were usually brought to their senses or at least showed remorse (remember their first encounter with romulans? they tried to stop, but the romulan culture did not permit surrender)…yeah, there was violence,but the theme was to try to avoid it or end it as soon as possible… yeah, i know, sappie 60’s scifi sentiments, but we loved that stuff… and in keeping with the idealism of the original series, yes, there was the theme of hoping to wipe out disease and famine…

We are not ready to colonize space yet; we can’t even agree on how to get this planet up and running right; IMHO if man individually and collectively cannot find a way to control himself we will just take the bad and good that is man right into space with him. That frightens me. It’s scary enough that they are doing a p—— contest with nukes and wmd’s!

while i share your pessimism, there is a large part of me that likes to aspire and hope, that is the part of me that likes the optimistic scifi like star trek…it is also the part of me that i don’t share with others who are not into scifi; these days more people can understand the cynicism and darkness of lexx, and not ask me if i wear little green ears to scifi conventions

mandara k
    Participant

I don’t think I sound that much as a pessimist, but you are entitled to feel that way. Words and hopes are a good start (it beats a stick in the old eye) but that is all they are, unless they are backed up by action. Dreaming of a world like this, nice first step, “making it so”, different story.

But back to the topic at hand, sci-fi does hava a more hopeful quality; whereas reality based shows give us a made-for -TV reality. Personally, can’t stand reality shows and sometimes the sci-fi bores me to tears.

Oh., and BTW you don’t really know me FX and thus to call me a pessimist may be premature on your part. i know you probably wanted to defend Flame, but why is it that it is easy to jump on me but you praise others wholeheartedly. And you want to know why everyone lurks and no one posts; i got one word….. biased.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

i know you probably wanted to defend Flame, but why is it that it is easy to jump on me but you praise others wholeheartedly. And you want to know why everyone lurks and no one posts; i got one word….. biased.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:

Quite the mouthful – do they give you a chance to finish all those sentences?

Eat hot death on toast, bonnee.

bonnee
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Flamegrape:

Eat hot death on toast, bonnee.

Ah, the brevity.

(sounds delicious, by the way – and quite at odds with the noble Star Trek sentiments expressed in your previous post. Keep watching them pies in the sky! Maybe your pipe dream will even come true, but dont forget to first look to yourself )

FX
    Participant

quote:

I don’t think I sound that much as a pessimist, but you are entitled to feel that way. Words and hopes are a good start (it beats a stick in the old eye) but that is all they are, unless they are backed up by action. Dreaming of a world like this, nice first step, “making it so”, different story.

But back to the topic at hand, sci-fi does hava a more hopeful quality; whereas reality based shows give us a made-for -TV reality. Personally, can’t stand reality shows and sometimes the sci-fi bores me to tears.

Oh., and BTW you don’t really know me FX and thus to call me a pessimist may be premature on your part. i know you probably wanted to defend Flame, but why is it that it is easy to jump on me but you praise others wholeheartedly. And you want to know why everyone lurks and no one posts; i got one word….. biased.

i agree with what you’re saying except that i didn’t call you a pessimist, i said that i shared your pessimism…and i wasn’t ‘defending flame’, i just wrote about what i thought i had read, as opposed to what you had read, no bad, just my opinion, not an attack on you, but i am sorry if it appeared that way…peace?

Rag
    Participant

Ahh, I’m pleased we’ve all made up. Doesn’t look good for the prospect of universal harmony tho, if we’re ripping into each other about a subject we all seem to agree on (at least on some level).

Back to the question.

Unfortunately, Trekkie bashing has become an international sport. Like so many other “sad” minorities (roleplayers, trainspotters, computergeeks, birdwatchers, et al), it is a method that the “Norms”, or people who consider themselves none-sad, use to make themselves more secure. Look at any aspect of society and you will see one set of people ****ting on another with the attitude of “at least I’m not that bad”. It’s their way of making themselves feel better about their mundane lives.

Sadly the media panders to the masses, not the minorities, so don’t expect to see balanced, intelligent, well presented trekkies (or is ‘ers’ the accepted title), roleplayers, birdwatchers, etc. represented in the media. If the world saw you or I standing up and putting over a well balanced arguement for any of our chosen “minority” passtimes, they wouldn’t have the moment of smug superiority. No feeling of improved self worth, no interest. No interest, no viewing figures. That sort of show would only be of interest to people already into their subject, and by default part of that ‘minority’.

What the button pushers seem to have overlooked is that each of the ‘minority’ groups mentioned here have ‘kin billions of members across the globe. But while the Norm’s keep laughing, and the trekkies(ers) refrain from making their feelings known (by pushing the arsehole’s teeth down his throat, or some less confrontational method if you prefer), the media will keep on dishing out the bigotry.

As far as I’m concerned (rant nearly over… promise), anyone who is so into his interest that they get a thrill out of it is OK by me and should allowed to get on with it and enjoy life in their own way (within limits. If it doesn’t hurt anyone else..).

It’s got to be better than the highlights of your week being Ethel showing up on ‘stenders, or waiting to see if one of the housemates gets bored enough to try buggering one of the chickens in BB.

I say GET A LIFE!!!! BE SAD!!!

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by bonnee:

Ah, the brevity.

(sounds delicious, by the way – and quite at odds with the noble Star Trek sentiments expressed in your previous post. Keep watching them pies in the sky! Maybe your pipe dream will even come true, but dont forget to first look to yourself

bonnee, YOU are the one who needs to look at yourself. You are a loathsome and hateful person that likes to mask your sadness and anger in the guise of “criticism.” But the fact is that all you EVER do at this message board or any other is start arguements and get people angry.

What you are doing is simple. You are trying to artificially construct an arguement that reflects you in a reasonable light. Perhaps you are putting on this new performance for the benefit of “newbies” on the board. You haven’t been posting very much in the last few months. So maybe you think “the coast is clear.” Well, it isn’t. So instead of dancing around, playing some sort of useless game of feigned politeness, I’m getting straight to the point.

You are a creep. You are part of the world’s problems. Nothing that you argue will change this. You feed off of the misery of others. You create conflict for your own power games.

Now observe, everyone in the audience. Observe how bonnee will reply with more infuriating and unapolagetic essays attempting to carefully detail how I’m exactly the awful type of person I described above. This is a typical turn-table tactic. Next, I could respond to that with examples of why this is not true and generally waste time trying to defend myself.

This has all been bonnee’s attempt to detract from the original point, which was that Star Trek generally gets ridiculed in society. The real point is that the miserable and cynical people who criticise Trek are exactly like bonnee! There is no other reason why he would jump into this arguement after weeks of silence. It touched a nerve, obviously, and he had to put in his two cents.

And again, observe, people in the audience. At this point, bonnee would reply with a comment about how my first post in this thread well deserved his hateful comments.

Blah, blah, blah. We’ve been through all of this tedious BULLSH!T before! You keep an arguement going and going and going. Why? Because it pleases you. Think about it, you creep! Think about it really long and hard. For what purpose does your arguing serve? You really think you’re banging your head against the iron gates of an impeneterable conspiracy of cabalistic science-fiction fans? You poor, delusioned, Pink fool. Who do you think you’re trying to help? You’re not helping anyone by making others angry, miserable, or feel inferior. And that’s all you EVER wind up doing with your infuriating arguements.

What do you hope to accomplish? You seem to have this attitude that science-fiction television or movies must be a certain way to live up to your standards. Well, SCREW your standards! You’re missing the point completely! Fans get satisfaction out of sci-fi for their own reasons.

Now get on with your stupid reply so I can heap more and more endless abuse on your pathatic arguements. Oh, have you picked up on the fact that I have nothing but seething hatred for you? All you every do is start arguements with fans and get them angry. Well, I’m here to prevent that by getting you to focus entirely on ME. So go ahead, try to start something with anyone else. I’ll be there to get in the way. I’m not letting you abuse another fan.

mandara k
    Participant

DUCK!!!!Someone is going to throw punches!!!

Well, if you have to get down and dirty the angst forum is where to do it; stop it from entering other places.

I like what Rag has said; and is it not all too true. I’ve been an outsider all of my life for one reason or another first because of physical differences and now by choice. This “look at these weirdo” mentality; another way to sow difference and elitism in our culture; it’s not the way to go; the three poisons of greed, anger and stupidity run amok.
    What if i were to tell you that i think what most people do for attention is weird; from women’s hair tossing and high pitched laughing to men’s flexing their muscles. Now most would say that’s acceptable; I think it’s a game, a ploy for attention, and strange.
    I could conform (which means I’d have to grow my hair and take hair-tossing 101- hey a new Olympic sport) but that would mean I would give up some sense of self; and accept a mass way of thinking to a degree. I WON’T DO IT!!!!

Anonymous

well, the same pair of presenters were at it again today, triggered by the news that Leonard Nimoy wants to retire from acting, and the exhibition at Hyde Park. firstly there was some sniggering that “trekkies will be rushing to Samaritans”. well, if our Mr Nimoy wants a break, then fair enough. i certainly respect his decision. i’m certainly not going to get suicidal over it- it had to come. as much as we would love to see him play Spock again, he isn’t getting any younger so if he wants to stop before making a fool of himself i for one wish him well. i’m not some brainless idiot that will be crying in my beer tonight, bemoaning the fact that I want him to give more than he’s prepared to, or can give.
    Next- the Exhibition at Hyde Park.
    (snigger) “you can even sit in the CAPTAIN’S chair!!!” (snigger), along with the typical stereotypical references to anoraks and other trainspotter memorabilia, as it were (all in a ‘trainspotter’ voice. ok, i admit to owning an anorak (come on, i live in England, it’s almost constantly p***ing it down with rain!!!). i also happen to own 3 pairs of combat trousers, boots, and so many items of leather clothing i’ve lost count!!! (i like it, ok??? please no innuedo’s!!) does this all fit in with the trainspotter image? don’t think so, somehow… the sad thing is though, the way things are, if i marched in there wearing combat gear and a black leather trenchcoat,declaring my love for Star Trek, they’d still only see someone in an anorak, bobble hat, and carrying a Thermos flask under one arm

[ 13-12-2002: Message edited by: snooklepie ]

mandara k
    Participant

You know what I think is kinda funny; I read that article about season 4 and how MM thinks Lexx should not have that do-good crap and how a Lexxian will be defined as someone that is dysfunctinal and all. HELLO! That is our world; nothing new there, no new thinking. That is the status quo and look at our world as the result; so may be new ways of thinking are needed; because the old ways are pretty passe’ and they don’t work.
    OOH! Could that mean we have to think with our real heads and not just our small ones; that there are repercussions to all we do; and we have to take responsibility for everything that happens to us. this is the same “artiste” who wants to think he’s on the cutting edge; ah no. Old is hedonism; new is collective hedonism; everyone getting what they want by self control, communication, and being aware. it worked in nature to a degree; until man screwed it up.

Old is blaming others for your crap, new is realizing that you actively or passively had a hand in everything that happens to you; so take a memo to yourself first.

High_Flyer
    Participant

Ok, first off I wanna say that this is my first time posting, but I have been lurking at this site for quite some time now. The reason why I choose not to post is fear….

*edited because it was abusive*

[ 17-12-2002: Message edited by: SadGeezer ]

Weebot
    Participant

Another lurker here weighing in… Why all the fuss flamegrape? bonee gave some innocous little jabs ….

*edited because it was antagonistic*

Tachyon
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Crashbug11:
    bonee gave some innocous little jabs and he gets hot toasted death (which sounds delicious, actually) and banned

Where does it say he was banned?

ADM
    Participant

First off can someone check to see if the above posts are actually original and not the old troll trick of disguising who you are under a new sig.
    Secondly and most importantly, if you are new or been lurking then you will realise that Flame has been a longtime member and has contributed alot in the past.
    I’m still fairly new here and it didn’t take me long too realise just what type of character Bonnee really is…he is a troll…nothing more, nothing less.
    And most of the people here have had run ins with Bonnee in the past, I personally haven’t had the pleasure, but i’ve seen Bonnee in action, and Bonnee’s always looking to stir it.
    So Flame, you’re not alone in your thoughts, and ignore the above posts, it’s most likely Bonnee posting under different guises, like I said typical Troll trick that doesn’t fool anyone.
    ADM

Weebot
    Participant

Simply put, I was wondering why bonne never replied to flamegrapes little rant…

*edited because I couldn’t get my head round it! … and because of other reasons… but mainly because it was silly*

ADM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Crashbug11:
    Simply put, I was wondering why bonne never replied to flamegrapes little rant. It isn’t that hard to get into contact with people who list their e-mail in their profile. I asked why he hadn’t responded, and he said he couldn’t respond.

Plus, “I’m not letting you abuse another fan.” is very telling.

[ 17-12-2002: Message edited by: Crashbug11 ]

Bizarre that, you claim to be a lurker who has never posted and never actually communicated with Bonnee before, yet you choose to contact via personal e-mail a complete stranger on a little feud that has nothing to do with you…suspicious much.
    Now either you’re really nosey or you’re not who you claim to be…my guess is the latter.
    ADM

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m just speaking generally

quote:

DUCK!!!!Someone is going to throw punches!!!

Well, if you have to get down and dirty the angst forum is where to do it; stop it from entering other places….

DUCK!!!! This is getting really FOWL [sic]!!!!

I realise that this is the “angst” forum, and therefore you are expected to “get stuff off yer chest [and] have a moan”, but it’s supposed to be “about bad sci fi”, not about “bad” posters, right Sad?

So please limit the animosity to “bad” shows and related material. If you have a serious gripe with someone, why not email them instead of sharing it with the whole board? I mean, why bring everybody down? If somebody persists in apparently bad behavior despite your emails to them, then contact Sad for his advice — if you are right, and you may well be wrong, then I’m sure that Sad will help take care of the situation. If none of this works, then perhaps you could just try your best to ignore them.

The world’s a cruel and unjust place largely because we (as societies) make it so, but if we moderate are actions, then our world and this forum can be a little kinder. Ultimately we can’t expect to change other people, but we should always strive to change ourselves and that’s truly empowering. Try to lead by example.

I’m a great believer in talking things out, but if you do it with anger then it just exacerbates the situation, but if you do it with compassion, then you can really make postive changes, especially to yourself. And no, though I believe in this I often fail myself — it’s a constant struggle.

I don’t know about the history behind this situation (and there must be a lot of it), but whatever you’ve been trying obviously hasn’t worked. If you can’t get along well, fine! Just accept it and move on, but don’t pull us all into it.

When I’m upset by someone, I use humour as my weapon, but not as a hurtful weapon — I try to make that person laugh, it often works even though I may not be the funniest guy around.

Anyway, these were just some general thoughts that are not specific to this situation, and I don’t mean to ploace any blame. I just wanted to talk about it because I see factions developing, and mob mentality really scares me. Remember that in many disputes both sides end up being in the wrong.

BTW, some “bad posters” are acceptable for “ridicule” in the Sci-Fi Angst forum. Yep, bad movie posters are fine, especially if they’re badly done movie parody posters like these:

Anonymous

Very elloquent Logan! Yer a star.

I think that peeps get a little frayed round the edges sometimes and have to let go. The Angst forum is certainly meant for sci fi angst, but on more than one occasion it has hosted hot personal topics.

It’s a shame really, but then at the end of the day the peeps in this community are a family of sorts (disfunctional sometimes as FX would say) but still familly. Sometimes we need to have a place that we can have a go and sometimes, regretably, it gets personal.

Personal comments are not normally tollerated but Bonnee has been having a go at Flamegrape for a while now and he really should learn that verbally whacking a moderator is not a good thing.

It’s a sad fact, but moderators are under terrible strain to be objective and never get upset or angry at other posters. But at the end of the day, WE are posters just like anyone else. There are some things that we really don’t like to see in our forums and some people who really wind us up. I think it is unfair to have to restrain moderators who have suffered digs and jibes (for no real reason in my opinion) without (rarely) having the opportunity to give some back.

As long as it happens in this forum and not the others, I guess we’ll just have to look on it as a little bit of SadBOARD spice.

PS. The Das Boobs poster is COOL!

FX
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by SadGeezer:
    PS. The Das Boobs poster is COOL!

i particularly like ‘the director’s cut’ modifier

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.