“Barbarella”- great film but is it Lexx’s closed celluoid re

Science Fiction TV Show Guides Forums Cult Sci Fi Series Lexx “Barbarella”- great film but is it Lexx’s closed celluoid re

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

I’ve just finished watching the wonderful movie “Barbarella” on the sci-fi channel. The main reason for watching it was that its constantly cited as the closest thing to the humour of LEXX. I quote Xenia Seeberg:
    “I remember when I saw Barbarella, I was maybe eight or nine, but already girl enough to fancy this character”
    The movie was very cool and I saw many parallels between Xev and Barbarella….
    What do other lexxians think….?

——————
    “Prick your finger it is done. The moon has now eclipsed the sun. The angel has spread it’s wings, the time has come for better things…”

Anonymous

Yup, I saw that.
    I haven’t seen BArbarella in years, but what I DO remeber was rather uh..hehehe.
    Strange things like the Orgasm Organ?!
    I was young when I saw THAT, and I learned a thing or two from it….HAHAHAHAHA~!!!!

——————
    “We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars…” Oscar Wilde

Anonymous

Yup, I saw that.
    I haven’t seen BArbarella in years, but what I DO remeber was rather uh..hehehe.
    Strange things like the Orgasm Organ?!
    I was young when I saw THAT, and I learned a thing or two from it….HAHAHAHAHA~!!!!

——————

Anonymous

funny you should mention barbarella, when i saw the psycho ballerinas all i could think of was anita pallenberg menacing jane fonda…in inimitable anita style, i kind of wish they could get her on as a guest, she is such a deliciously wicked archetype, and she still looks fabulous

Anonymous

funny you should mention barbarella, when i saw the psycho ballerinas all i could think of was anita pallenberg menacing jane fonda…in inimitable anita style, i kind of wish they could get her on as a guest, she is such a deliciously wicked archetype, and she still looks fabulous

Anonymous

Ah, yes, the similarities! (excellent Barbarella site here. But, yes, there are quite a few similarities. Two women in love with a male who can’t love them back the way they want to be loved. Two women with unabashed libidoes. Two women who look great in almost nothing. And, two women who got blasted for being in “B” movies that eventually went on to become classics! (okay, I’m projectin’ in Lexx’ case but I think it will happen )

[This message has been edited by BlackCloud (edited March 08, 2001).]

Anonymous

Ah, yes, the similarities! (excellent Barbarella site here. But, yes, there are quite a few similarities. Two women in love with a male who can’t love them back the way they want to be loved. Two women with unabashed libidoes. Two women who look great in almost nothing. And, two women who got blasted for being in “B” movies that eventually went on to become classics! (okay, I’m projectin’ in Lexx’ case but I think it will happen )

[This message has been edited by BlackCloud (edited March 08, 2001).]

DalekTek790
    Participant

The big difference is Lexx is one of the best science fiction serieses in history, and Barbarella is one of the worst science fiction films in history.

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

DalekTek790
    Participant

The big difference is Lexx is one of the best science fiction serieses in history, and Barbarella is one of the worst science fiction films in history.

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:

does the phrase campy or cult classic hold resonance for you?! rocky horror is not great ART either but it’s a lot of fun, as is the original batman series and all the hammer films

Anonymous

quote:

does the phrase campy or cult classic hold resonance for you?! rocky horror is not great ART either but it’s a lot of fun, as is the original batman series and all the hammer films

Anonymous

quote:

You know, it’s getting obvious that most of these posts are just trolls.
    BUT…I’ll take the bait once again.
    What about Barbarella makes it one of the worst science fiction films in history (if, indeed, you could call it an actual science fiction film and not a fantasy/comedy/spoof)? Would it be the acting (though it stars some extremely highly-regarded and award-winning actors)? Would it be the direction (from esteemed director Roger Vadim)? Would it be that it was based on a much-beloved French comic strip?
    And what differentiates it from LEXX? The over-the-top villains? The sexually-charged atmosphere? The humor? The wacky set designs?

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

You know, it’s getting obvious that most of these posts are just trolls.
    BUT…I’ll take the bait once again.
    What about Barbarella makes it one of the worst science fiction films in history (if, indeed, you could call it an actual science fiction film and not a fantasy/comedy/spoof)? Would it be the acting (though it stars some extremely highly-regarded and award-winning actors)? Would it be the direction (from esteemed director Roger Vadim)? Would it be that it was based on a much-beloved French comic strip?
    And what differentiates it from LEXX? The over-the-top villains? The sexually-charged atmosphere? The humor? The wacky set designs?

–Aleck

Anonymous

“Barbarella” the worst sci-fi movie ever? Laddie, were ya watchin’ the movie with yer eyes open? Have ya no sense o’ mirth? Are ya unable t’ fit yer tongue in yer cheek? I think that if you approach the film less seriously, you’ll see the film was made for fun and spoofery. It isn’t a classic just because it’s old, y’know.

——————
    There is no character, howsoever good and fine, but it can be destroyed by ridicule, howsoever poor and witless. Observe the ass, for instance: his character is about perfect, he is the choicest spirit among all the humbler animals, yet see what ridicule has brought him to. Instead of feeling
    complimented when we are called an ass, we are left in doubt. (Twain)

Anonymous

“Barbarella” the worst sci-fi movie ever? Laddie, were ya watchin’ the movie with yer eyes open? Have ya no sense o’ mirth? Are ya unable t’ fit yer tongue in yer cheek? I think that if you approach the film less seriously, you’ll see the film was made for fun and spoofery. It isn’t a classic just because it’s old, y’know.

——————
    There is no character, howsoever good and fine, but it can be destroyed by ridicule, howsoever poor and witless. Observe the ass, for instance: his character is about perfect, he is the choicest spirit among all the humbler animals, yet see what ridicule has brought him to. Instead of feeling

DalekTek790
    Participant

I suppose now you’ll say Manos: The Hands of Fate, Plan 9 From Outer Space, and Creepazoids are great sci-fi classics.

——————

DalekTek790
    Participant

I suppose now you’ll say Manos: The Hands of Fate, Plan 9 From Outer Space, and Creepazoids are great sci-fi classics.

——————

Anonymous

quote:

No, but I will say that they’re fun to watch. Unless you’re completely humorless and completely lacking in any sense of kitsch or camp. And I still contend that Barbarella is an *extremely* good film, on all fronts — from the direction to the screenplay to the acting to the set and costume design. But then, I’m not the Supreme Arbiter of All That Is Good and True In Science Fiction like you are, D.T.90. I’m just a guy with an opinion.

–Aleck

Anonymous

quote:

No, but I will say that they’re fun to watch. Unless you’re completely humorless and completely lacking in any sense of kitsch or camp. And I still contend that Barbarella is an *extremely* good film, on all fronts — from the direction to the screenplay to the acting to the set and costume design. But then, I’m not the Supreme Arbiter of All That Is Good and True In Science Fiction like you are, D.T.90. I’m just a guy with an opinion.

–Aleck

Anonymous

Nope. But here’s one that was just on TV recently: “The Day The Earth Stood Still”.

——————

Anonymous

Nope. But here’s one that was just on TV recently: “The Day The Earth Stood Still”.

——————

Anonymous

I loved “The Day the Earth Stood Still!!!) Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal, right? It’s been a loooong time since I’ve seen it. O.k,. Tell me if I have this right:

Gort, Klattu Baraka! Is that close?

Anonymous

I loved “The Day the Earth Stood Still!!!) Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal, right? It’s been a loooong time since I’ve seen it. O.k,. Tell me if I have this right:

Gort, Klattu Baraka! Is that close?

DalekTek790
    Participant

It goes ‘KLAATU BARADA NIKTO.’

——————

[This message has been edited by DalekTek790 (edited March 11, 2001).]

DalekTek790
    Participant

It goes ‘KLAATU BARADA NIKTO.’

——————

[This message has been edited by DalekTek790 (edited March 11, 2001).]

Anonymous

Oh, that’s right, it has been a loooong time, thanks DT790!!! But the robot’s name was Gort, right??

Anonymous

Oh, that’s right, it has been a loooong time, thanks DT790!!! But the robot’s name was Gort, right??

Anonymous

“Klaatu BaraTA Nicto,” actually.

——————

Anonymous

“Klaatu BaraTA Nicto,” actually.

——————

Anonymous

I don’t really see the parallels between Lexx and Barbarella, but I got a kick out of the movie. I saw it ages ago at a dollar movie house and when it came out on video bought it. I watch it once in awhile just to get a good giggle.
    As for The Day The Earth Stood Still, it is my most fave sci fi movie ever. Michael Rennie was such an elegant man and I wanted my own Gort! Next to TDTESS my next favorite would be Forbidden Planet. Those two movies were the first ones I ever bought when I got my first vcr. Over the years, I have been a fan of sci fi. Far as I’m concerned its all great stuff, even the really bad ones have a certain charm.

Anonymous

I don’t really see the parallels between Lexx and Barbarella, but I got a kick out of the movie. I saw it ages ago at a dollar movie house and when it came out on video bought it. I watch it once in awhile just to get a good giggle.
    As for The Day The Earth Stood Still, it is my most fave sci fi movie ever. Michael Rennie was such an elegant man and I wanted my own Gort! Next to TDTESS my next favorite would be Forbidden Planet. Those two movies were the first ones I ever bought when I got my first vcr. Over the years, I have been a fan of sci fi. Far as I’m concerned its all great stuff, even the really bad ones have a certain charm.

Anonymous

“Forbidden Planet” is so excellent, I must agree. I still get the willies watchin’ it but it was waaaaay ahead of its time, conceptually speaking. Plus, c’mon, Robby the Robot; how cool was he? (Oh, and Klaatu was the alien’s (Rennie) name.)

——————

[This message has been edited by BlackCloud (edited March 13, 2001).]

Anonymous

“Forbidden Planet” is so excellent, I must agree. I still get the willies watchin’ it but it was waaaaay ahead of its time, conceptually speaking. Plus, c’mon, Robby the Robot; how cool was he? (Oh, and Klaatu was the alien’s (Rennie) name.)

——————

[This message has been edited by BlackCloud (edited March 13, 2001).]

Anonymous

Yes..I loved Forbidden Planet.
    Ack, I just hought of something…
    How sad is it! That statement, “Klaatu Barata Nikto….”
    Klaatu is no more… oh, *sniff* I loved that part..

——————

Anonymous

Yes..I loved Forbidden Planet.
    Ack, I just hought of something…
    How sad is it! That statement, “Klaatu Barata Nikto….”
    Klaatu is no more… oh, *sniff* I loved that part..

——————

Anonymous

dt790, am i correct in assuming you do not like john waters’ films either?! (everytime i drive through bal’more i have the urge to look for divine, or at least buy a slab of meat from a cheesy supermarket, slap it between my legs and start singing “the girl can’t help it…”) sorry dt but i love all the 50’s scifi ( a term harlan ellison abhors by the way) especially war of the worlds and invasion of the body snatchers…regards bad movies, hey i cut my teeth on ’em, the alltime champion still being basket case!

Anonymous

dt790, am i correct in assuming you do not like john waters’ films either?! (everytime i drive through bal’more i have the urge to look for divine, or at least buy a slab of meat from a cheesy supermarket, slap it between my legs and start singing “the girl can’t help it…”) sorry dt but i love all the 50’s scifi ( a term harlan ellison abhors by the way) especially war of the worlds and invasion of the body snatchers…regards bad movies, hey i cut my teeth on ’em, the alltime champion still being basket case!

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    dt790, am i correct in assuming you do not like john waters’ films either?! (everytime i drive through bal’more i have the urge to look for divine, or at least buy a slab of meat from a cheesy supermarket, slap it between my legs and start singing “the girl can’t help it…”)

A friend of mine here apparantly knows where the Divine Glenn Milstead is resting. I need to check that out. It’s only a half-hour or so away. Edie’s shop is still there in good ol’ Baltimore, though, even if she isn’t (living with the Egg Man in the sky). And you can always visit Bengie’s Drive-In, where the climax to Cecil B. Demented was filmed.

sorry dt but i love all the 50’s scifi ( a term harlan ellison abhors by the way) especially war of the worlds and invasion of the body snatchers…regards bad movies, hey i cut my teeth on ’em, the alltime champion still being basket case!

BASKET CASE??? A **BAD** movie?!? My ghods, how can you SAY that??? You want bad flicks, I got ’em by the truckload, and they’re ALL worse than Basket Case (though I do have that one…twice. Got the original video release of it and the Something Weird Video ultra-groovy-a-go-go Special Edition — LETTERBOXED!!!). You want bad, seek yourself out a copy of Frankenstein Island, starring the Floating Head of John Carradine. Or, if you’re feeling a little adventurous, Blood Freak, which is the best movie about a Junkie Vampire Were-Turkey ever made! Plan 9 From Outer Space is CITIZEN KANE next to these babies.

–Aleck (seriously demented by this point)

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    dt790, am i correct in assuming you do not like john waters’ films either?! (everytime i drive through bal’more i have the urge to look for divine, or at least buy a slab of meat from a cheesy supermarket, slap it between my legs and start singing “the girl can’t help it…”)

A friend of mine here apparantly knows where the Divine Glenn Milstead is resting. I need to check that out. It’s only a half-hour or so away. Edie’s shop is still there in good ol’ Baltimore, though, even if she isn’t (living with the Egg Man in the sky). And you can always visit Bengie’s Drive-In, where the climax to Cecil B. Demented was filmed.

sorry dt but i love all the 50’s scifi ( a term harlan ellison abhors by the way) especially war of the worlds and invasion of the body snatchers…regards bad movies, hey i cut my teeth on ’em, the alltime champion still being basket case!

BASKET CASE??? A **BAD** movie?!? My ghods, how can you SAY that??? You want bad flicks, I got ’em by the truckload, and they’re ALL worse than Basket Case (though I do have that one…twice. Got the original video release of it and the Something Weird Video ultra-groovy-a-go-go Special Edition — LETTERBOXED!!!). You want bad, seek yourself out a copy of Frankenstein Island, starring the Floating Head of John Carradine. Or, if you’re feeling a little adventurous, Blood Freak, which is the best movie about a Junkie Vampire Were-Turkey ever made! Plan 9 From Outer Space is CITIZEN KANE next to these babies.

–Aleck (seriously demented by this point)

DalekTek790
    Participant

No, tthe worst vampire film ever made is Teenage Space Vampires with Scott Baio.

——————

DalekTek790
    Participant

No, tthe worst vampire film ever made is Teenage Space Vampires with Scott Baio.

——————

Anonymous

hehehe…just a thought here…Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still…anyone getting an urge to sing the opening song from Rocky Horror?
    …by the way, am I correct in asuming that there is a fellow Harlan Ellison fan in the building? WOO-HOO!

——————
    Gideon: I thought you said you don’t hold grudge.
    Galen: I don’t. I have no living enemies. At all.

Anonymous

hehehe…just a thought here…Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still…anyone getting an urge to sing the opening song from Rocky Horror?
    …by the way, am I correct in asuming that there is a fellow Harlan Ellison fan in the building? WOO-HOO!

——————

Anonymous

O.K., Klattu was the alien’s name, does anyone know what barrata nickto meant? If my memory serves me right, Patricia Neal passed out after saying those words and was carried into the spaceship by Gort.

Was Klattu telling Gort not to fire on the earthlings? Or was he telling Gort that he was alright?

Anonymous

O.K., Klattu was the alien’s name, does anyone know what barrata nickto meant? If my memory serves me right, Patricia Neal passed out after saying those words and was carried into the spaceship by Gort.

Was Klattu telling Gort not to fire on the earthlings? Or was he telling Gort that he was alright?

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    BASKET CASE??? A **BAD** movie?!? My ghods, how can you SAY that??? –Aleck (seriously demented by this point)

“take me duane” muttered by truly third rate actress in a wig that would scare michael mcmanus! and how about duane feeding the hamburgers to the basket, i was howling…come on i was talking about good bad movies…and did i mention andy warhol’s entire ouvre especially frankenstein and dracula! when i reccognized udo kier in my own private idaho and a madonna video i had to laugh…anyway, maybe we should plan a john waters pilgrimmage to b’more, and pay homage to the great divine! oh and regards harlan ellison, my particular favorite is in deathbird stories, the one about all the gargoyles on the buildings in new york coming alive with a vengeance after years of acid rain and smog! and how about a boy and his dog, my all time favorite (which divorce did he write that one after?! )

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Aleck:
    BASKET CASE??? A **BAD** movie?!? My ghods, how can you SAY that??? –Aleck (seriously demented by this point)

“take me duane” muttered by truly third rate actress in a wig that would scare michael mcmanus! and how about duane feeding the hamburgers to the basket, i was howling…come on i was talking about good bad movies…and did i mention andy warhol’s entire ouvre especially frankenstein and dracula! when i reccognized udo kier in my own private idaho and a madonna video i had to laugh…anyway, maybe we should plan a john waters pilgrimmage to b’more, and pay homage to the great divine! oh and regards harlan ellison, my particular favorite is in deathbird stories, the one about all the gargoyles on the buildings in new york coming alive with a vengeance after years of acid rain and smog! and how about a boy and his dog, my all time favorite (which divorce did he write that one after?! )

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

oh and regards harlan ellison, my particular favorite is in deathbird stories, the one about all the gargoyles on the buildings in new york coming alive with a vengeance after years of acid rain and smog! and how about a boy and his dog, my all time favorite (which divorce did he write that one after?! )

lol…how many wives has he had anyway? 4?
    i’m ashamed to say i haven’t read deathbird or a boy and his dog…i’m a relative newcomer to the works of ellison and my local bookstore isn’t too helpful…so far all i’ve been able to pick up are edgeworks vol. one and a copy of the original teleplay for “city on the edge of forever”…i want to read more of his stuff!!

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:

oh and regards harlan ellison, my particular favorite is in deathbird stories, the one about all the gargoyles on the buildings in new york coming alive with a vengeance after years of acid rain and smog! and how about a boy and his dog, my all time favorite (which divorce did he write that one after?! )

lol…how many wives has he had anyway? 4?
    i’m ashamed to say i haven’t read deathbird or a boy and his dog…i’m a relative newcomer to the works of ellison and my local bookstore isn’t too helpful…so far all i’ve been able to pick up are edgeworks vol. one and a copy of the original teleplay for “city on the edge of forever”…i want to read more of his stuff!!

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by FX:
    come on i was talking about good bad movies…

…And I contend that Basket Case is a good good movie, but that’s just me. It’s a low-budget movie, to be sure, and the acting is overall sub-par, but you can’t get DeNiro for five bucks. I just have a soft spot in my heart (or on my head) for the whole evil-deformed-mutant-killer-detatched-Siamese-Twin-in-a-basket subgenre, I guess.

and did i mention andy warhol’s entire ouvre especially frankenstein and dracula! when i reccognized udo kier in my own private idaho and a madonna video i had to laugh…

Udo has done some REALLY outre work. LOTS of really bizarre things in his filmography. I don’t know why the Beans have never used him in LEXX. I mean, he’s PERFECT! (See, I can be on-topic every once and a while…) He’s German, he’s wacky, he’s a cult icon, and he’ll be in practically *anything*!!!

…anyway, maybe we should plan a john waters pilgrimmage to b’more, and pay homage to the great divine!

Well, we could if you’d say when you were in town!

–Aleck

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.