Beer vs Lager

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

Ok, since this is “the pub” I might as well raise the question:

Which is better, real beer or lager?

Please note that I WILL hunt down anyone who has the nerve to say Lager! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Anonymous
    Inactive

Didn’t know thow to vote, “piss” sounds really appetising… ๐Ÿ˜• Nothing like a drop of the amber fluid…

I do consider lager to be a real beer, but it’s not really to my taste. I prefer a dark, preferably draught. A nice ale or even a really dark one like stout. I generally prefer “English style” beers. Love a good bitter — have it with Stilton and I’m in pub paradise.

Also, I generally prefer beer from micro-breweries (we have some great, small local breweries) — pay a little more for a lot more taste … and I am a real beer lover, I drink it for the taste, not the effect (at least not so much).

My fave beer might be a Brit import called Theakston Old Peculiar (wonderful, but hard to get here). It’s a strong ale, very nice.

There is much variety when it comes to beers and the quality really varies — some lagers are much better than others, and on a hot summer day, a good one can be nice. Personally at those times I’ll go for a lighter ale.

Any favourite brands? Guiness (stout) is very good (and a huge company).

While in Australia I used to enjoy a wheat one called Redback. Fosters and XXXX are terrible. *gag* yobbo juice *gag*

Must be some wonderful ales in Yorkshire, in fact, is Masham where Theakston’s Peculiarr comes from in Yorkshire? Welcome by the way! ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

No Draughts? Stouts? or Porters? Stop shopping in the ladies section ๐Ÿ˜›

Nothing beats a Newcastle and a cig, sometimes even a Guinness will do the trick. I also used to like Mickeys when I was younger, but now it tastes like someones old lawn clippings.

American beer is okay with food, like BBQs and stuff. Lite beer makes me want to strangle whoever created it.

Anonymous

Black Sheep is a great beer, genuine Yorkshire beer too!

lexxrobotech
    Participant

It depends on where and when I am.

On hot steamy Durban days nothing beats an ice cold beer. Or even a lager somtimes. Castle Lager is one of the best drinks on this planet. Then again, in freezing weather, nothing beats a good old milk stout.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

No Draughts? Stouts? or Porters? Stop shopping in the ladies section ๐Ÿ˜›

๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† Must admit that most porters I’ve had are a bit strong for my taste. Had one recently that was about 13%. They usually say the heavier the alcohol content of a porter the better (to make up for the stale ale that they traditionally threw in the mix).

”LexxLurker” wrote:

Nothing beats a Newcastle and a cig, sometimes even a Guinness will do the trick. I also used to like Mickeys when I was younger, but now it tastes like someones old lawn clippings.

Agreed… I still don’t mind Mickeys… cute bottles anyway. And at least it doesn’t taste like someone’s old toe-nail clippings — unlike some wines such as Chateau le Feet, or other wines made the foot-stompin way. ๐Ÿ˜‰

”kai” wrote:

Black Sheep is a great beer, genuine Yorkshire beer too.

From the mouth of the Yorkshire dales, or something. I’ve tried a few of theirs, very nice beers. Unfortunately they are difficult to get here in Vancouver, Canada. The last bottle of Peculiar I had I got in the States.

lexxrobotech wrote:

On hot steamy Durban days nothing beats an ice cold beer. Or even a lager somtimes. Castle Lager is one of the best drinks on this planet. Then again, in freezing weather, nothing beats a good old milk stout.

On a hot day I will usually go for a pale ale, but like any variety of beer, not all lagers are created equal — some are tasty AND refreshing. And certainly certain beers go better with certain foods. I would never just stick to red wine, nor would I stick to one style of beer. Variety is the spice of life.

What say you on Bavarian style beers?

pet
    Participant

โ“

iStan
    Participant

Nothing like ale at the end of the day. Can’t say as I care for Geordie champagne, though. Pass the McEwan’s or a pint of Caledonian.

iStan
    Participant
    Logan wrote:

[ ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† Must admit that most porters I’ve had are a bit strong for my taste. Had one recently that was about 13%. They usually say the heavier the alcohol content of a porter the better (to make up for the stale ale that they traditionally threw in the mix).

Interestingly enough, both Molson and Labatt brewed a half-decent porter- full-bodied but not too strong- but stopped brewing just before the micro-brewery revolution. Silly gits.

Fatguy
    Participant

I’m a “piss” man myself…..never touch that American “water”.

lexxrobotech
    Participant

Surprise!

๐Ÿ˜›

Anonymous

never touch that American “water”

Like Budweiser, Budvar is much nicer

Jhevz
    Participant

Hi Fellow Sci-Fi Fans,
    I don’t drink beer, but I haven’t had warm Irish beer in a very long time; I guess it’s an aquired taste. I voted for other, since I don’t drink the stuff, but my daddy drinks Bud Light. May be if I had ale or warm Irish beer, I get an aquired taste, but not American beer.

Sci-Fi Fans Unite,
    Jhevz ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

One of the great things about beer is the variety of names:

Black Sheep
    Fursty Ferrett
    Bombardier
    Hobgoblin
    Old Speckled Hen
    Theakstons Old Peculiar
    Dragon Heart

By the way, to the stout fans, try Dragon Stout, 1 pint and you are drunk, 2 and your’re Stephen Hawking (note, no disrespect to the great physicist)

Barabbas
    Participant

Guinness for me.
    Nothing like a coupla pints of “Cold Barley Soup”

Anonymous

i used to love trad beers- unfortunately, they didn’t love me. something to do with warm beer. end up with stomach cramps after half a pint ๐Ÿ™ and it’s a great ad for your local when you’re barfing after a couple of pints. nowt wrong with the beer, i just can’t seem to hack it at its proper temperature for some reason. tend to drink Newkie Brown and whatever creamflow is offer. at least they’re cold

Anonymous

Never tried Newcastle Brown, Had Nut Brown at a pub in Leeds once

And for those Lager drinkers, Stella Artois is a good lager (by the way Barabbas, your description of Guinness makes it sound very appetising)

I find that this is making me thirsty, but on the subject of beer most of the beers listed are great. I think i’ve tried them all and woke up in wierd places. Don’t ask! My favourite has to be Guinness. Carling is pants.

Anonymous

Carling is not pants, its worse! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Nope Carling is just pants, if there isn’t anything else to drink then i will, (after many minutes of protesting to the gaffer of the pub asking him what sort of drinking establishment he was running if all he had to drink was carling), and drink the nasty stuff. Normally it never comes to that. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Anonymous

Ok so we’l just agree that Carling is naff.

Here is a litltle flamebait: Guiness, whats all that about? I tried some once and it didn’t actually have a flavour. Why?

So you want to know what is good about Guinness, well where do i start? It has a wonderful flavour almost a coffee flavour in my opinion. Also it’s thick so it like eating and drinking at the same time. No need for those horrible Kebabs they serve in chip shops late at night. It feeds the brain gives its the mental powers you need to argue that soap operas are a load of phap on a higher level. So in my opinion Guinness rules.
    Mind you i also like real ales as well! 8)

kinkyfriedman
    Participant

Beer is the gift of the gods. Seriously. I have two coworkers who are allergic to beer….how sad is that?

Poor people how do they cope?

kinkyfriedman
    Participant

I don’t know.

God bless them. ๐Ÿ™

Anonymous

Of course with ales/tradional beers, 5% is the magic number. The best ales are always 5% and above

I totally agree the best real ales are all 5% or above, like Theakstons old peculiar, or enville gothic and the daddy of them all which i’ve not had in years marstons owe rodger where if my memory serves me correct and has not be befuddled by too much alcohol is about 7.5%.
    Real ales all seem to have there own distinct flavours which is the appeal with them. Especially when you get a beer festival locally.

Anonymous

DeposableSecurityGuard Said:

like Theakstons old peculiar

Thats definately one of the best ales I’ve ever tried, Black Sheep comes from the Theaskstons brewery which is probably why it is such a good set of beers (Golden sheep is a nice one, pity it is exclusive to Tesco. Riggwelter is snother really good one)

I went back to my college days the weekend and had some ruddles county for the first time in ages and i must say it was rather nice. I tried some Blue Bullet as well which was actually better than ruddles. Nice to have some real ale for a change.

Anonymous

One of the interesting things about leeds is that most of the alleys some of the main shopping streets have a pub in them and that these “secret” pubs are normally the only ones where you can get decent ales, most of the large pubs are more like bars so they only have goddamn kids and their alcopops/p**s poor Carling!

Anonymous

I think that is is about time to revive the ale talk, after all, the only thing which I have actually been doing lately has been has been to curse crazy frog.

Fursty ferret, nice little ale, don’t you think, although I still love Riggwelter and Golden Sheep

( I have had a few pints before posting this so I expect that I have misspelt a few things)

theFrey
    Participant

Guys, please understand I say this as a fellow Sadgeezer.

What the heck are you going on about?!?? They both are terrible. Beer like products…. bleh! If one wishes to become plastered one needs a mixed drink.

Bring on the Blenni’s!

We now return you to your discussion. ๐Ÿ˜€

Ah back to my favourite subjuct BEER especially as the sun is out and the weather is warm. It just makes you want to drink a nice long beer. As for this crazy frog crap i wonder how long it would take to drown the frog in a pint of beer. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Anonymous

Drowning the frog in a pint of beer is too good for it! Maybe “accidently” run it over when mowing the lawn? ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Or even feed it with explosive slugs.

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant

The problem with so called ‘lagers’ is that no one knows how to brew, store or serve them properly in the UK. I cannot believe no one has mentioned the 2 homes of beer (Germany and Belgium). In Germany it HAS to be a good Hefeweizen – a great summer beer or a good pilnzner that takes 7 minute to pour (dry and refreshing). Belgium? Well there is nothing else to do there so take your pick:
    Qwak (8%) dark and sweet don’t expect to get home unaided
    Duval (9%) drink at your peril
    Satan (8%) a rip of Duval BTW
    Chimay Triple (7%) light colour but not in taste, made by monks, or in deed any of the trappist beers.

Holland has to be Grolsh or Amstel. Hoegarten is nice on a summer’s evening.

In the UK it’s Old Cantankerous if I can get it or Lancaster Bomber or Spitfire. Black sheep is also good.

In the US? Sorry guys, you must try harder.

corvina
    Participant

Never cared for booze that much but I had some ‘Stella’ in Egypt once – obviously a local product – strange for a Muslim country thought the stuff was taboo – still the really good thing about the ‘Stella’ was that it always came in what ever bottle the brewers could get their hands and your money would indescriminately buy ‘Stella’ in 500ml or 750ml or whatever size bottles.

In the heat anything cold was nice so I couldn’t comment on the beer at all…now the totally illegal product first synthesised by a nice Swiss chap called Hoffman I dropped in Luxor… well. Nice place Egypt, nice people…

YOWAYYO
    Participant
    7th_Dizbuster wrote:

The problem with so called ‘lagers’ is that no one knows how to brew, store or serve them properly in the UK. I cannot believe no one has mentioned the 2 homes of beer (Germany and Belgium). In Germany it HAS to be a good Hefeweizen – a great summer beer or a good pilnzner that takes 7 minute to pour (dry and refreshing). Belgium? Well there is nothing else to do there so take your pick:
    Qwak (8%) dark and sweet don’t expect to get home unaided
    Duval (9%) drink at your peril
    Satan (8%) a rip of Duval BTW
    Chimay Triple (7%) light colour but not in taste, made by monks, or in deed any of the trappist beers.

Holland has to be Grolsh or Amstel. Hoegarten is nice on a summer’s evening.

In the UK it’s Old Cantankerous if I can get it or Lancaster Bomber or Spitfire. Black sheep is also good.

In the US? Sorry guys, you must try harder.

Diz, I’m with you on the Belgian ales. For me, Duvel is the way to go. Probably the finest beer for my tastes. A solid beer with a great fruity taste, and yes, it takes patience and a little “know-how” to pour or else you’ll be drinking suds all day. The only real draw-back is that it’s expensive as hell. Then again, it’s worth it and I will not sacrifice the quality of my beer. Life’s too short.

On a hot day? I like Bavaria, Dinkle Aker, Hollandia (sp?) and the like. Light but full-bodied beers with good flavors at a great price.

However, 7th_Dizbuster, I must take issue with you on the American beer remark, good sir. Ah hell, we deserve that I guess ๐Ÿ˜€ . Coors, Bud, Miller…more gifts from us to you! Seriously, there are tons of great breweris here in the states, particularly in Colorado, California and Oregon. Here in Houston, there are a couple of local beers that many Brits/ Euros enjoy like Saint Arnolds (ale) and Shiner Bock (influenced by the German/ Czech settlers.)

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant
    YOWAYYO wrote:

However, 7th_Dizbuster, I must take issue with you on the American beer remark, good sir. Ah hell, we deserve that I guess ๐Ÿ˜€ .

I humbly beg forgiveness for the remark ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜€ . I have not spent much time in the US but I was only ever offered Bud or Miller. I would feel my back teeth floating before tasting anything or feeling any effect. I never got a chance to sample proper local brews. I am sure anyone visiting the UK and being fed Carling Black Label would have the same opinion of British lagers. (all Brits nod heads sagely)

Check out http://www.camra.org.uk for the best of british ales

Ah Belgium beers i think it great that you have a specific glass for a specific beer. I don’t know what the name of the beer was but that trapitz monk beer at about 10% was a truly magnificent beer. Although i did go to a beer festival in the uk quite recently (which is my first in a few years) and i must say that the local breweries are still doing the business and producing the best beers.

7th_Dizbuster
    Participant
    DeposableSecurityGuard wrote:

Ah Belgium beers i think it great that you have a specific glass for a specific beer. .

Qwak is served in a bulb (like a small yard of ale) in a wooden scafold to stop it falling over. Trapist beers tend top be served in stemmed glasses with wide tops. Yes I spent many oblivious nights ‘working’ in belgium and Holland

My story is the time I left a job in Amsterdam and before I returned to the UK we spent a night a Cafe Belgique, just off Damraak, drinking Qwak, I would hate to guess at quantities. About 2am I decided to do back to my apartment but had lost my sense of direction so I phoned my wife in the UK to anouce that I was lost and could she direct me. We exchanged a few expletives and she kindly helped me to a taxi rank using her superior sense of direction and recolection of Amsterdam. Rather than have the taxi take me to my apartment I asked him to take me to my car, which I had no hope to driving with any degree of safety. On arrival at my car I found a second taxi driver to follow us in my car (a UK right hand drive) back to my apartment. We then drove to my apartment witrh me shouting from to the driver behind where to find the controls.

I then got up at 7am to do a full day’s work before driving to Roterdam to catch the ferry home. Try doing that on British beer!

Anonymous

Have to say I’m impressed with Belgian beer. Stella (aka the wifebeater drink) brewed in the UK is p**s, I tried some Belgian Stella and I was impressed. But Czech beer is nice. At a pub I sometimes go to I’ve gotten into drinking Staropramen, only problem is that it is damn expensive stuff.

What does everyone here think of the wheat (white) beers? Erdinger, couldn’t drink that all night, would have to take out a mortagage for that!

Pendle
    Participant

Now we are talking, beer one of my favourite pastimes, cant beat a pint of Theakstones Old Peculiar or some good old Pendle Witches Brew

Sidhecafe
    Participant

ok, I can’t believe I have missed this long BEER thread….

Me- the one who works(until school starts), for a brewery!!! So yes I need to make a loud and proud statement for the state of American brews..

Please stay away from Bud, Miller, and numerous other mass market, in the industry named “premium”, beers…lots of them are brewed with what we call “adjuncts” meaning they use corn, rice, corn syrup, preservatives and a few other stupid ingredients that just don’t belong in beer.
    Really in the US you should go for regionally brewed beers, that’s where you find the best quality. Though I do think Sam Adams has a very good product -they are distributed nationally, but still brew in the “small batch brewery method” and they won’t put anything articficial in the beer. (I know the brewers personally ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).
    However, as some other folks have mentioned the smaller craft and micro-breweries produce all sorts of styles, in my hometown a new small brewery just started producing a very yummy”Fisherman’s Brew”

I’m a big fan of Belgians too, Duval and Chimay. Sam Adams makes a great White Ale as their Spring seasonal….having not been to Belgium so I can comment on the locals, when I was in Bavaria the beer was heavenly!!!
    I’ve always been a huge fan of Guinness as well, so much when I ws 21 I had their harp tattooed on my arm.

There are so many styles, so many possibilities!! But I must confess, sometimes, on a hot summer day- there’s nothing like a Corona with a lime wedge!

Anonymous

I know what you mean, when I went on a tour of a brewary near Leeds, the guy working there sais that there were some really good brewaries in the US. I guess that brewing with natural ingredients is becoming a lost art.

Anonymous

Interesting point about rice, I think that’s used in some Indian beers

Viewing 46 posts - 1 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.