Best Sci Fi Show on TV!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bonnee
    Participant

Heroes – a hybrid of the superhero/fantasy/sci fi genre.

The show is an instant classic, and gives every indication of knowing what it is doing from the outset.

If you’re bored or disenchanted with tv sci fi – and many of us are – consider watching it to reaffirm your faith in imaginatively told television

What’s particularly impressive about this ‘mysterious’ show is that it raises questions that it (almost) immediately sets out to explore or develop. And it does this by retaining its mystery and intrigue throughout developments. Whilst the answers appear to make sense or take us in a particular direction, they raise equally compelling questions that build from what comes before.

Heroes – so far – is just awesome. Four or five episodes in, and it has become increasingly compelling and intriguing. It keeps building on its premise by exploring and developing it in unexpected ways. Part of the appeal is its freakish quality – its written in such a way as to unsettle and intrigue. Hard to believe its an American and/or network series – a remarkable show that is developing a following through deserved word of mouth.

Hollydays
    Participant

yep – very cool show.
    And you can watch the back episodes you missed from their website so you can come and join us!

bonnee
    Participant

I didn’t know people posted at Sadgeezer.

mandara k
    Participant

Really? I watched it last night and I was hooked. What’s the website?

Hollydays
    Participant

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/

very fun website actually.
    Check out the cartoons that develop the characters backstories…

mandara k
    Participant

My gosh, it’s pretty dang good! it gets more intersting every time I watch it.

Thanks for the website!

Anonymous

Yep, I’m hugely impressed with it so far and can’t wait for the next episode (we don’t get it in the UK yet so I have to download it).

I just whish it would get a move on. Is it me, or is the whole first season about them finding out about each other?

bonnee
    Participant

The entire first season does seem to be about them discovering their powers and/or each other. Although Hiro talks about the need to thwart the prophesy within an imminent or looming six weeks, and we’re already up to ep.5 (which was pretty shit in my view. I couldn’t care less about the evil alter ego, and I’m not sure how it ties into the heroes main story or the other characters).

Unlike you, though, I’m not sure I want the show to move along at such a rapid pace. Most of the appeal for me is watching the pieces come together, piece by piece. The mystery and intrigue is what appeals to me. I’m not sure I really want to watch a straightforward show about superheroes as such – the best thing about Heroes (in my view) is the way the story is told, not the actual story itself (which threatens to be generic and lame, all said and done). I hope they can move beyond the initial premise or retain the show’s distinctive style as the season/s progress.

Hollydays
    Participant

hmmm…sounds like you should do a review for the podcast!

I was wondering about the alter ego thing too…but finally seeing how physically strong she is will keep my mouth shut for another week….

I really liked seeing the future Hiro and how he has changed…..very cool character. Do you think his freind will die?

Anonymous

Nobody has mentioned a link with X-Men yet?

I just watched episode 6 and was very impressed. Definately the best sci fi show on TV at the moment and totally addictive!

The producers tell us that the arc is all about how the heroes come together to thwart a serial killer but I only seem to remember that being mentioned in one episode, what about armageddon?

Cheerleader thing is cool, having two episodes about saving a cheerleader that can’t seemingly be killed is a real twist! Especially when nobody can be assed to do anything about it! Very impressive. Also, what’s with the cheerleader thing anyway, is this a link to the current happenings with Kinky Friedman running for govenor in Texas?

I just hope they can keep our interest up with the non-storyline. I certainly don’t agree with bonnee on this. Building good characterisation is very cool and I’m hooked on the show because of it, but unless I see a point to the story develop faster soon, I’m gonna get bored!

bonnee
    Participant
    SadGeezer wrote:

unless I see a point to the story develop faster soon, I’m gonna get bored!

oh please, you’re addicted…and addicts are looking for their next fix (even if they think the syringe is broken).

I’d go so far as to suggest that the show is addictive because it is simply hard to second guess, and (like the brother at the end of ep 1) typically catches you unaware or from left field…

My understanding – based on paying attention to the show ๐Ÿ™‚ – is that the serial killer is behind the doomsday. Sylar (I think) is killing potential heroes and stealing their brains to try and harness superpowers. The solar eclipse seems to figure centrally in this story. Then again – I could be talking out of my hindquarters.

and I think your right hollydays…looks like Hiro’s deviant friend is not long for this world…and maybe you could review the show on the podcast. I’m all shy and bashful.

Hollydays
    Participant

Awww, we can give you a hug through it, most of us aren;t actually that scary, just scary looking, lol
    …people are sick of hearing my non-senscial ?mutterings…..some people, like you, actually have well thought out reviews. You know, Saddy can tape you seperate if you like…or you can write out a nice review and the podcasters can talk about the points you raise! It’s refreshing to have another viewpoint!

bonnee
    Participant

What do I have to do to contribute, exactly?

(It should be noted that Sad and I discussed the possibility at one stage, but it didn’t seem physically possible. I don’t have anything in the way of hardware other than speech recognition software – which comes with a pissy headset – and the time difference makes real time conversation difficult).

but I’m up for suggestions ๐Ÿ™‚

Hollydays
    Participant

hmmm….I’m not very technical (like, really ,really not); we talk on Skype, which is free to download and use. AS far as I know you just need your pissy headset and away you go….lol, it works like a free phone call.

I’m not sure what time difference you are talking about (not familiar with the time zone on “youranus”, lol..nice profile!!) It would be really nice to have you “live” with the rest of us. Send Saddy your thoughts on Heroes and he can post it on the “wiki” for the rest of the sadcast to look at too (so we can work on our pithy remarks, haha) or just do a point by point thing and we can discuss at the sadcast….or one of us can read your review or something….it’s too early for me, i’m prolly not making sense but it would be awesome to work this out!!!

bonnee
    Participant

Well, (I think) I’ve got skype working…what do I do now?!

(I tried ringing Sad, but he’s never home. Does he screen his messages or have his answering machine turned off? )

Hollydays
    Participant

hmm..he may just not be online? You can send him a chat message with the skpe too…if he is online you’ll get the actual Sadgeezer picture next to his name, not just the empty person head they show otherwise.

I’ll turn my Skype on (i’m in and out of this room ’cause i take care of kids) and you can see if you can send me a message …then we can try a quick chat.

Hollydays
    Participant

if he has Skype turned on, it will show his Sadgeezer avatar pic next to his name. Otherwise it shows an empty head,lol

If I’m online then you’ll see my “multipass” avatar.

I’ll turn my skype on and you can search for me. You can send a chat message 1st as i’m in and out of this room (I take care of little ones) and would prolly miss your call. You’ll see a little blue chat button on the top of the Skype screen….

bonnee
    Participant

Bo!

Hollydays
    Participant

hmm…maybe it just shows a green check mark? Anyways Good going with the Skype set up!!!

Hope you can join us and give us your neat perspectives, looking foward to it!

(don’t worry if you think your opinioins are cr@p, ours, for the most part, are as well, that’s part of the fun!)

bonnee
    Participant

Wikipedia provides a nice overview of the series and character

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_(TV_series)

And apparently we’ve entered our first arc – ‘save the cheerleader, save the world’!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.