Black heart day

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

It’s near 0 farenheit here. I’m in a ****y mood, have a black heart and feel the need to vent. So I’m venting here.

Coming home, I heard of the identity chip that can be inserted under the skin. Only certain scanners would be able to read it. It’s available NOW, on the market for $200.

On the news, I heard of a woman who was able to choose an egg that didn’t carry a gene for a particularly nasty Alzheimer’s disease. It was a rare type. Her sister and brother have the disease.

Then they played a story about a scanner that was very “Running Man” like in that it could detect objects under clothing that aren’t metal. Better than a pat down at the airport. It saw a ceramic knife and plastic explosives that were used for the demonstration.

Then I thought of DalekTek who said I engaged in flights of fancy in speculating about the future, genetics, micro chips in humans…etc. Well, the futures here, baby, so you better get your wings for flying in the fancies. Looks like the world your inheriting is more and more shaping up like those “flights of fancy” I have. I’ll be the ass in front of your nose, leaving you behind. *smacks her behind*

[ 27-02-2002: Message edited by: Praxilla ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

I believe in the possibility (and in some cases inevitibility of development) of cybernetic implantation, human cloning, genetic engineering, cryogenic stasis, particle scanners, electromagnetic levitation, and quantum transportation of large objects. But I (and pretty much every scientist who has written a “science in science fiction”-type book or essay) find it incredibly hard to believe that every single particle in a human being can be stored in a computer and reassembled accurately from other matter. Read why the transporter (and several other pieces of Star Trek technology) are implausible here.

Besides, the transporter would be useless, since the same function could be taken by a much simpler device. By artificially generating a quantum singularity you can transport people from place to place whole. Not only is the transporter highly implausible, it is completely unnecessary.

Anonymous

You gave me a dismissal on EVERYTHING I said, and let me tell you, you did NOT pick and chose. The only reason to look down your nose at someone is because your physically taller than them and even then it’s not a very good excuse.

Did you point out what specific thing you were pooh poohing? NO. So don’t come back trying to make it look like you were perfectly in the right to be insulting and moronic towards me. IF you chose to use such demeaning terms towards other people, you best be johnny on the spot and explain yourself better.

Flamegrape
    Participant

LOL

I don’t think DT was being all that snooty. It sounds like you’ve had a pretty bad day, Praxilla.

Myself, I tend to have faith in humanity.

Chips could be faked, forged or removed. If “The Man” has Big Brother-type uses for it, then the underground will inevitably have countermeasures. But I think I need to know more about this subject before I start blabbing a bunch of B.S.

The selective egg thing sounds like a good idea, in general. But there’s also the arguement that it’s just plain not natural.

The scanner sounds like a good weapon against terrorism. But I can see how it could have more dire uses.

You bring up really thoughtful questions.

DalekTek790
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Praxilla:
    You gave me a dismissal on EVERYTHING I said, and let me tell you, you did NOT pick and chose. The only reason to look down your nose at someone is because your physically taller than them and even then it’s not a very good excuse.

Did you point out what specific thing you were pooh poohing? NO. So don’t come back trying to make it look like you were perfectly in the right to be insulting and moronic towards me. IF you chose to use such demeaning terms towards other people, you best be johnny on the spot and explain yourself better.

I’ve always been nice to you, Praxilla, why are you being mean to me now? I never verbally attacked you or said anything about you personally, I just don’t agree with your belief that the transporter is feasible, and I’ve given you reasons.

And where are you getting that physical height thing? You’ve never even met me, you don’t know how tall I am. Are you being metaphorical or what?

I really don’t understand why you’re lashing out at me like this all of a sudden. Has Aleck gotten to you, too?

[ 28-02-2002: Message edited by: DalekTek790 ]

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    I really don’t understand why you’re lashing out at me like this all of a sudden. Has Aleck gotten to you, too?

Christ, you just *won’t* let this go, will you?

I am not conspiring against you.

Get it through your thick little skull.

For the record, you were being exceptionally snotty, dismissive and (again) arrogant in a conversation with Praxilla about a week-and-a-half ago in the post-“Prime Ridge” chat (I know, I was there). It is *this*, I believe, that Praxilla is referring to. You continue to put up this front, portraying yourself as a “victim” that never invites anything, that it’s just that mean ol’ Aleck pickin’ on you and covertly turning everyone against you, that you have *never* been arrogant and have always been more than humble. Then you come along and dismiss someone with the implication that you *must* be right, because (and, to use your words, I quote), “I’m the most logical person you will ever meet.” Then you follow with a statement like (again, using your words) “My reasoning is never flawed.” If that doesn’t smack of self-aggrandizement, I don’t know what does.

And just because someone *else* picks up on your arrogant tone, this doesn’t mean that I’ve “gotten to them.” It simply means that they’ve come to the same conclusion. Be a grown-up and take responsibility for what you say and what you do, and stop trying to pass the buck. Because maybe, just *maybe*, it’s *you*. The sad thing is that this option has never occurred to you, which is, in and of itself, representative of an inflated ego. And the insulting part of this whole assumption is that, as I’ve said, you’re making the presumption that everyone here is feeble-minded enough to fall sway to the likes of me. It’s insulting to me, in that it presumes that (a) this is something that I *want* (when, as I’ve stated more than enough times, I don’t *care*) and that (b)I am sufficently lacking in the life department to the extent that the destruction of your psyche is of paramount importance. It’s insulting to everyone *else* because it presumes that everyone is stupid enough to let this happen.

So drop it. It’s not only patently untrue, it’s patently ridiculous.

–Aleck

Anonymous

yes, I did have a bad day. And yes, I am venting. Which is why I posted here.

DalekTek: You said, “I think you engage in flights of fancy” during a chat. And you did not further explain yourself. Instead you said, “I am the most logical person you will ever meet.” I was feeling pretty mellow that night, and didn’t want to deal with such statements.

I let it go for a time, no big deal. Then I get hit with these three stories in one day, taking me back to the subjects I brought up in that chat. And then I remembered your statements and I got a little more angry. Then I thought of that little crack about logic. And then I thought about dreamers, Da Vinci, Gallileo (sp?), Michealangelo and the people who thought they indulged in flights of fancy when they should have been in the fields or the stables. I’m thinking about a young man sitting in the middle of the United States who seems to be too logical to admit to being a human.

Aleck didn’t “get to me”, your attitude did. Your opinion counts as does mine. But your opinion counts a little less when you use demeaning phrases like “flights of fancy.” It is further diminished when you say “I am the most logical person you will ever meet.” A wise man is a humble man. Let your intelligence show through and the people around you will form their own opinions. Don’t encourage bad opinions by insulting, demeaning or trying to make someone feel they are less than you seem to feel you are. That will never get you anywhere. No person is BETTER than another, only different. It would do you good to remember that.

[ 28-02-2002: Message edited by: Praxilla ]

DalekTek790
    Participant

I’m nice to people, and this is what I get in return.

Flamegrape
    Participant

quote:

Well, you seem to be honest about that. You think you’re being nice to people but somehow it didn’t seem to come across that way. Oh, well. It’s hard to make it up to people that you’ve inadvertantly crossed.

Anonymous

*stretch* *yawn* DT: Quit your whining. It’s a new day.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

*toddles off to go make a pot of green tea*

[ 28-02-2002: Message edited by: Praxilla ]

Anonymous

quote:

O.K DT, simple thing to do, get a transcript of your conversations, take them to someone not directly linked to you, like a teacher you know, get their opinion on whether what you say is inflammatory.
    You do have the ability to be nice, but you tend offset it with either an arrogant remark or a boasting statement.
    You can’t know too much about human nature if you don’t think it’s going to cause people to get a little angry.
    If you won’t take it from us, then ask someone else for their advice, I know that it’s not 100% intentional, but you do get people’s backs up with alarming regularity.
    And before you say it, this is not an attack and I’m not on anyone’s side.
    Squishy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.