Blue biscuits…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Algeroth
    Participant

Hi!

Remember those blue biscuits that Ford and Arthur ate in episode 1? Has anyone a recipe for them? I searched but I didn´t find any. So I tried with two different biscuit-recipes, but everytime when I added the blue colour they turned GREEN! Even when I left out the eggs. Would be nice if anyone has an idea how to make it…

Thans very much!

Greets
    Algeroth

Anonymous

Haha!

But they were the most unapetising things I’ve ever seen!

I’ll check with the wife, she may know

Anonymous

I used a blue dye for a “Blues Clues” cake. I had to use A LOT of it to make it the right shade of blue. It was a blue-green shade before I got the right mix of blue.

Egg whites are the right step but you didn’t mention if you were using a pre-mixed biscuit recipe, like Bisquick. That would affect the color too.

I would suggest a bleached flour made from scratch recipe for the best shade of blue and don’t be shy with the dye. It has to be a bit darker in the dough stage than you want it in the baked/done stage.

Just promise not to use any intelligent shades of blue.

Algeroth
    Participant

Hm, I used a recipe from scratch with the following ingredients: flour, coconut-fat (which was white, too), sugar, full-white cocos flakes and a full packet of liquid blue colour. The packaging said that it is unhealthy to use more than ONE packet for this amount of ingredients…so I left it with the one packet…
    And what is “Blues Clues” cake??? I have never heard about. (I live in Germany, so…
    Any other suggestions? Isn´t there any possibility to get this original recipe somewhere?
    But thank you so far!

Greets
    Algeroth

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think what they used was mentioned on the DVD somewhere.

trillian
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Algeroth:
    Hm, I used a recipe from scratch with the following ingredients: flour, coconut-fat (which was white, too), sugar, full-white cocos flakes and a full packet of liquid blue colour. The packaging said that it is unhealthy to use more than ONE packet for this amount of ingredients…so I left it with the one packet…
    And what is “Blues Clues” cake??? I have never heard about. (I live in Germany, so…
    Any other suggestions? Isn´t there any possibility to get this original recipe somewhere?
    But thank you so far!

Greets
    Algeroth

Well, golly, maybe check to see if the flour is bleached flour? I don’t get much chance to cook with coconut, so I don’t know what it would do to the color.
    http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/bluecake.html

That’s the cake I made, but mine was a bit darker blue.

And this is Blue’s Clue, a kids show on the network Nickelodeon for the toddler/preschool set. http://www.bluescluesfan.com/party.htm

*Edit: Sorry, I don’t know how to get the pictures to show, so I’m providing the URL’s.

[ 14-10-2002: Message edited by: trillian ]

Algeroth
    Participant

Hi!

What they mentioned on the DVD is that it was “blue dyed Madeira style cake” whatever that is… I searched the Internet for Madeira cake, but didn´t find anything (Maybe I am too stupid to search?) But if someone has a recipe for that then we´re getting to the point, I think I would be thankful for anything…
    By the way… I don´t know if I used bleached flour, I didn´t check but it was VERY white.
    The recipe from kidsdomain.com is nice but doesn´t mention how to make the cake that is to be dyed…
    I did not think that it could be so difficult to make blue biscuits *sigh*

Greets
    Algeroth

Algeroth
    Participant

Surprise!

I got a recipe for Madeira Cake from a friend now…but it contains eggs…that means it will probably turn GREEN again. How did they do that to have them blue? But I´ll try out now with eggs and maybe without and tell you how it worked…(If someone is interested)

Greets
    Algeroth

Anonymous

If Madeira cake doesn’t work, as a last resort you might try Angel Food cake:

Angel Food

It makes the whitest cake I’ve ever seen. But it uses so much egg white that you’d better figure out what to do with all those egg yolks. Maybe its possible to get it in a mix.

Post a picture of your cake!

elmey

Algeroth
    Participant

Hi!

Thank you!
    I´ll try both Madeira cake and Angel Food cake and then see which one gives the best result. I would like to post a pic then, if I knew how… If someone could tell me then…
    Thanks

Greets
    Algeroth

Anonymous

There’s instructions for posting pictures in the Artwork Forum. I consider a blue cake art!

elmey

Algeroth
    Participant

Yeah, I will see what I can do then…but at first it has to work with the recipes… When they are turning green again I will bite into the kitchen table!!! Promise!

trillian
    Participant

*tickle, tickle* I’ve come to annoy you!

Anyway, our household has managed to get our little hands on the HGTTG DVD and wow! great quality. Far better than the bad copy video tape we had. What has this got to do with blue biscuits you ask yourself? I noticed with the better quality that they were closer to a violet blue than blue blue. Perhaps a dash of reddishnesh *say that ten times* would help them turn out not green.

Algeroth
    Participant

Hm…sorry but I cannot see the slightest shade of violet in these biscuits… Maybe it´s because of my DVD-player…just one in the PC…not the best quality. But anyway…I tried it out now with a recipe with no eggs in it and LOTS of blue colour (I tried another kind of blue colour, this worked better). And it turned blue now! 🙂 …ok, it has still a slight shade of green, but very slight.
    I am working on a new homepage now…I will post a pic of this cake there, when it is finished.

Greets
    Algeroth

Anonymous

You ARE persistent! How many blue cakes did you try out? Congratulations on one that worked, can’t wait to see the pic.

Dare I ask how the stuff actually tasted?

elmey

Algeroth
    Participant

Oh yeah…I am

But my patience led to a result…finally! It was the third recipe I tried out, the two before led to green cake.

It tasted…very interesting…it had a quite strong taste of metal…I think because of the colour. And I felt a bit sick after eating…maybe a bit too much of that colour Normally I am not allergic to food colours…but if had used less, than they would have turned green again…so I put in everything I had…
    I think this cake is better to look at than for eating
    But now I am very pleased that it worked and can sleep well again

Greets
    Algeroth

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.