books

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

well done blackcloud, that happens to be my favorite book (have written a few college theses on it correlating it with whatever was needed to lend relevance to the particular course…amazing how you can find a way to tie anything into anything if you are pretentious enought!) as for the movie i am the proud owner of one as it is most excellent in its own right…i was a little disappointed that malcolm’s character wasn’t the fine slithery evil sort in lexx but hey we all get old

Anonymous

Haha! Are you an English major, too? I don’t see how you can pass without a liberal dose of pretension. Goodness knows my profs were masters of it! I loved Malcolm McDowell
    in that movie, bad boy that he was. But, I remember the first time I read the book. I thought, “I must be illiterate. I have no idea what they’re saying!” Fortunately, there was a glossary. I understand there were two versions of the book; one UK and one US(which lost the final chapter)? I would love to read the UK version, it being what the author intended. Sadly, the US version glorified violence (NOOO, not us! Violent in the US? )

——————
    “Time begins then time ends, and then time begins once again.”

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by BlackCloud:
    Haha! Are you an English major, too? I don’t see how you can pass without a liberal dose of pretension. Goodness knows my profs were masters of it! I loved Malcolm McDowell
    in that movie, bad boy that he was. But, I remember the first time I read the book. I thought, “I must be illiterate. I have no idea what they’re saying!” Fortunately, there was a glossary. I understand there were two versions of the book; one UK and one US(which lost the final chapter)? I would love to read the UK version, it being what the author intended. Sadly, the US version glorified violence (NOOO, not us! Violent in the US? )

i did not know there was a uk version,mine is the 1971 US edition that i appropriated from an undeserving owner…i don’t know if it glorified violence but it was one of the better “through the eyes of the sociopath” discussions, the better to make it difficult to decide whether the ludovico technique was moral…at any rate i was an aspiring english major who got shanghied into engineering, then applied mathematics when engineering proved too difficult! i understand the rape scene was semi- autobiographical; apparently burgess’ wife was assaulted by (american) soldiers…

Anonymous

Aww, I wish I had been similarily shanghai’d! I love English, don’t get me wrong. But, in a hi-tech world, it’s as useful as teatas on a bull. The version I’m speaking of, and I’ve only read about it__never read it, apparently has an extra chapter. No, that’s not accurate. The American version has one less chapter. In the complete version, there is some redemption and closure. America didn’t get that version. You know, I doubt violence would be so prevalent in the media and entertainment, if war had visited America’s shores, as it’s visited so many other countries’ shores. I can’t count the Civil War, though it was bloody bad business. But, that war was from within, not an invasion. It has to change you as a people, to have invaders over-running your land or attempting to wipe you out. Anyway, I would imagine the version you have would be the version with all the chapters.

Now, this is completely off topic but, I am getting ready to configure a computer system (FINALLY!), and I was wondering, is there anything I absolutely MUST have, as a part of my system? I’ve been asking everyone I know who is computer savvy or literate. It’s my first system(I’ve been using everyone else’s and at home I use WebTv), and I want it to be as efficient as possible.
    Any suggestions?

——————

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by BlackCloud:
    Aww, I wish I had been similarily shanghai’d! I love English, don’t get me wrong. But, in a hi-tech world, it’s as useful as teatas on a bull. The version I’m speaking of, and I’ve only read about it__never read it, apparently has an extra chapter. No, that’s not accurate. The American version has one less chapter. In the complete version, there is some redemption and closure. America didn’t get that version. You know, I doubt violence would be so prevalent in the media and entertainment, if war had visited America’s shores, as it’s visited so many other countries’ shores. I can’t count the Civil War, though it was bloody bad business. But, that war was from within, not an invasion. It has to change you as a people, to have invaders over-running your land or attempting to wipe you out. Anyway, I would imagine the version you have would be the version with all the chapters.

Now, this is completely off topic but, I am getting ready to configure a computer system (FINALLY!), and I was wondering, is there anything I absolutely MUST have, as a part of my system? I’ve been asking everyone I know who is computer savvy or literate. It’s my first system(I’ve been using everyone else’s and at home I use WebTv), and I want it to be as efficient as possible.
    Any suggestions?

i’m not a supertech like sad and newkate, so my advice may be more or less relevant depending upon your outlook…i bought my hp two years ago assuming i would have to add on as my needs and literacy grew…i just did not think i would outgrow my system so fast so i have two words for you MEMORY and PROCESSING!my work requires a lot of photography and since i have switched to a digital camera i find my poor little pc staggering along under the weight of my files so i additionally will be buying a cd burner for storage this new year, but yeah bigger is better at least in this case, with bells and whistles to your taste ( I am female and therefore avoid bells and whistles as possible sources of aggravation!) computers are insidious creatures and the more you use them the more you use them if you see what i mean, oh and an excellent idiot friendly printer/scanner are preferable to a giant monitor in my mind…anyway i’m sure there are lots of smarter people out there who will want to help you fine tune your needs…just make sure whatever you buy has good tech support and is easily upgradeable (not a real word i know!) and maintainable—you get what you pay for!let me know what you get so i can drool!

DalekTek790
    Participant

Are you talking about “Clockwork Orange?”

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    Are you talking about “Clockwork Orange?”

oops ! i thought everyone knew, yes we were discussing clockwork orange with a few digressions here and there…anyway, blackie answered first so you don’t get your plantar’s warts kissed! hope you are having a good holiday!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just a tip guyz.. there’s no need to quote the complete text of the post above yours when replying

Anonymous

Thanks FX! The general concensus seems to run along the more memory and user friendly with good tech support vein.
    I’ll let you know what I settle for (hey, I’m droolin’ already )

——————

Anonymous

okay smartie pants, i got lazy and you caught me ๐Ÿ˜› anyway it’s snowing in nyc and it’s gorgeous as i do not have to do anything except walk the dog (who threw himself into a snowbank crying like a big sodden lump of fur when his pads iced up, forcing me to stagger home under 60 pounds of dejected dog!) needless to say the doorman was laughing so hard he could hardly hold the door open…at any rate murphy and i can now relax in our 98 degree apartment and wait for spring…hope your new year is equally agreeable

Anonymous

Hah! Thank goodness Bear is used to snow; she’d be outta luck, if I had to carry her anywhere. The snow’s been wonderful! I went out in my pjs while it was still comin’ down. I think I’m the only snow fiend in the family.
    Oh, ’bout that computer…how does Pentium 4, 1.3ghz, 256 RAM, 800mhz frontside Bus (huh? the Dell guy side it was impressive; I said, alrighty then!), 64mb vid card, 40 gigs HD, full modem, DVD and 12X8X32 CD in 2nd bay (okay, that last still has me scratching my head). Rounding it all out with an HP printer and scanner. The guy said I couldn’t get Windows 98 2ed, so I’d have to get the Millenium Ed. So, how does this sound? Doable?
    Anything I should modify or reject or request?
    I’m very excited about getting PC’d, can you tell?

——————

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.