Brunnenwinkies?

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 23 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SadGeezer
    Keymaster

The battle chant of the Brunnen-G sounds surprisingly similar to the march of the winkies from the Wizard of Oz.

You can hear them both here.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Xnormal:
    The battle chant of the Brunnen-G sounds surprisingly similar to the march of the winkies from the Wizard of Oz.

You can hear them both here.

ha ha xnormal and welcome! in fact in my household the brunnen anthem is referred to as the oreo song because when we were kids watching the wizard of oz, we thought they were singing oooooreooooh! thanx for the link

DalekTek790
    Participant

There are numerous references to The Wizard of Oz in Lexx (especially Woz). You see, Zev is Dorothy (’cause she’s looking for a home), Kai is the Tin Woodman (he’s metal and has no feelings), 790 is the Scarecrow (“If I only had a body…”), and Stan is certainly the Cowardly Lion.

“There’s no place like home.”
    -Zev

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    There are numerous references to The Wizard of Oz in Lexx (especially Woz). You see, Zev is Dorothy (’cause she’s looking for a home), Kai is the Tin Woodman (he’s metal and has no feelings), 790 is the Scarecrow (“If I only had a body…”), and Stan is certainly the Cowardly Lion.

-Zev

I’d reverse 790’s and Kai’s roles in the scheme of things. Kai, like the Scarecrow, is able to remove parts of himself and put them back without any real harm being done. The Scarecrow is supposed to scare away crows but finds himself unable to, while Kai is built as an assassin and never really kills anybody. The Scarecrow wants to experience things intellectually, while Kai can only experience things intellectually.
    The Tin Man wants to *feel*, though, while Kai can’t and doesn’t really want to. 790, on the other hand, is sure that he does feel, but lacks the neccessary equipment to express his emotions in the way he would prefer. 790 is made out of metal (Kai isn’t really, he is de-carbonized and parts of his anatomy have been replaced with mechanical parts), and, like the Tin Man was not aware that he had what most people consider “heart,” 790 contains brain matter that allows him to “feel” emotions, though he was unaware of it. Like the Tin Man, 790, though initially regarded as lacking what it takes to make one a living, feeling being, shows more emotion than one would expect (the Tin Man, for someone without a heart, cries more, gets more flustered, and is more protective than just about anyone else in the film).

Plus, Kai just *looks* like a scarecrow. I can picture him cruciform in the middle of a field with crows perched on his arms much better than I can picture 790’s head on a stick doing the same thing.

–Aleck

Anonymous

The Winkies! LOL.
    I was a Wizard of Oz buff long before I ever grasped the idea of Science Fiction.
    Poor little Winkies.
    Anyway, yup, I’ve noted lots of similaries.
    Dorothy had adventures wherein one might have expected closer bonds. I recall seeing her familiarity and friendliness towards her uncles, all older than she and yet – well, I could have seen Judy Garland going out on a date with one of those actors!
    The original involved what I thought was a much younger girl.
    Akin to Alice in Thru the Looking Glass…
    Lexx is a strange trip.
    That’s why I like it. *like it?!* What am I saying?! I LUV this show.

——————
    “We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars…” Oscar Wilde

DalekTek790
    Participant

The Wizard of Oz is a great book tainted by a lousy movie and sub-par sequels.

I think it’s the best modern fantasy story (the best fantasy of all times is, of course, The Odyssey by Homer).

They should make a new film version, with state-of-the-art visual effects. Now the wondrous visions of L. Frank Baum can finally be realized onscreen!

-Zev

——————
    Lee P. Sherman, code name DalekTek790
    Whovian, Froudian, Lexxian, etc.

Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by DalekTek790:
    The Wizard of Oz is a great book tainted by a lousy movie and sub-par sequels.

*thwapthwapthwap!* Are you insane? the sequels stunk, yes, but Judy cannot be replaced. I grew up on Judy, and to remake Wizard of Oz would just break my poor lil heart. And ya wouldn’t want to do that, now would ya?

~elfie

——————
    “Reality continues to ruin my life.” – Calvin and Hobbes

Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.