BSG Ep4 [SPOLIERS]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tuzanor
    Participant

Well another Ep has come and gone. Watched despite the best efforts of my firstborn to interrupt my video viewing pleasure on Monday night. Still it’s the first time he’s woken up during an attempt to watch BSG so we’ll class it as an aberration rather than a lack of taste.

[SPOILERS IMMINENT – run away now if you want to avoid plot points]

So to #104: Acts of Contrition

A very tense and classy Ep. I would not want to annoy Adama. To say that Olmos brings gravity to the character is an understatement. We’re talking singularities here rather than your standard 1G. Perhaps that’s why Galactica is so gloomy – Adama is sucking up all the light ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ……. well perhaps not.

Baltar takes a back seat in this one and Six goes on vacation apart from one enigmatic appearance. Probably a good move as we were OD-ing on the esoteric conversations between them.

One interesting plot point – As you might expect Cylon fighters are faster than the old Mark II Vipers

Unanswered questions (in the best Lurkers Guide tradition)

– Why was an armed munition being moved round the flight bay? Surley they have safeties?
    – What was Starbuck doing assessing Zak if she was about to get engaged to him? Conflict of interest anyone?
    – What are the Cylons doing with Helo? Do they hope that he will lead them to any remaining humans on Caprica?
    – Why aren’t there more bodies in the Caprican city? Have the Cylons tidied up after their genocide?
    – Where did the 8 Cylon raiders come from – a patrol from a Base Star? Surely they would have scouted first?
    – Does the Galactica know Starbuck has ejected? Her beacon failed before she got clipped by the Cylon fighter so they might assume her ship had been shot down.
    – What happened to the Cylon fighter she shot down. Did it burn up too?
    – What planet did both the Viper and the Cylon fighter crash on to? Is it the same planet that the fleet are sourcing water from?
    – And as ever- what do the other humanoid Cylons look like? If there are some in the fleet – why aren’t they telling the local base Star where the fleet is? Do they Cylons think there is an unknown human colony somewhere and want the fleet to lead them too it?

Speculation overload……..

Headgehog
    Participant

I can’t help but feel that this way something of a sleep episode. It was good, but I found my attention wandering through most of it. It wasn’t until the last few minuets with the space battle did it really grab my attention.

Oh, and there wasn’t nearly enough Baltar and #6 in this one. Their dialouge really helped out previous episodes.

tuzanor wrote:

Unanswered questions (in the best Lurkers Guide tradition)

I’ll be coincidentally covering some of these in the “dissecting the episode” part of the review. Which will be along in a few days. Sorry but my lack of excitement of this episode is causing me to procrastinate But I’ll cover a few interesting points here.

– Why was an armed munition being moved round the flight bay? Surley they have safeties?
    – Why aren’t there more bodies in the Caprican city? Have the Cylons tidied up after their genocide?

The moving ammunition was a nice plot device. And the lack of bodies, while creepy, is better then thousands of decaying corpses. I got to admit though, that the city is way too clean. The cylons (or directors/producers) must’ve done something.

– Does the Galactica know Starbuck has ejected? Her beacon failed before she got clipped by the Cylon fighter so they might assume her ship had been shot down.
    – What happened to the Cylon fighter she shot down. Did it burn up too?

We’ll likely find out next week. But I’m going to say that the cylon pilot survives the crash too, and Starbuck captures him/her/it. I’m sure she’ll find a way to contact the Galactica, or they look for her and find her.

– What planet did both the Viper and the Cylon fighter crash on to? Is it the same planet that the fleet are sourcing water from?

No, they’re getting the water out of a moon, of a different coloured planet.

– What was Starbuck doing assessing Zak if she was about to get engaged to him? Conflict of interest anyone?

It would be a huge conflict of interest, but we can infer that they tried to hide their relationship, and as I mentioned before, its a good plot device. It won’t be that last either, I fear.

Speculation overload……..

Keep ‘im coming!

Anonymous

I’m about to watch it again, it didn’t have my full attention yesterday. But yeah I agree it dragged compared to other eps, but still left me wanting more like all eps so far. But finally they introduced the pilots I knew were coming, including Maniac, erm I mean Hot Dog (Why Hot Dog!? Jeez, Prankster, Krazy, Maniac, anything but Hot Dog!). They needed a way to get rid of the more realistic albeit nerdy pilots and replace them with young ones, including some that don’t follow the book.

The highlights for me was the conversation between Adama and Starbuck, I loved when he told her to get out while she could. I was thinking just before he said that it would’ve been too unrealistic for him to forgive her like that. I mean ultimately, she did kill him, that’s why those safeguards are in place.

I also liked the doctor. His smoking reminded the audience of the seriousness of the human plight. I also like the constant reminders of Greek and Roman design, history, etc.. In an earlier ep I noticed several building designs on Caprica were based on Roman buildings.

The space fights do a nice job of illustrating the ships slide as an offensive and defensive manuever. It’s also clear their technology (aside from gravity, ftl, etc..) isn’t all that advanced compared to where we’re heading as the lack of “formation busters” missiles and/or high explosive warheads illustrate. I can’t wait to see their bombers and heavier combat ships, the Viper is pretty bad ass, and they even provided some specs this week! ๐Ÿ˜›

It seemed like a standard patrol that ambushed Starbuck, but with their Cylons aboard the BSG there had to more to it. It seems to me they know exactly where the Colonials are at all times, or should anyway.

Helo and Boomer are taking up too much of Baltar and 6 screen time, this needs to be remedied. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.