BSG Fans: the show needs your support

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sci -Fi
    Participant

Received an email about this and thought I’ll share.

Just FYI for those that enjoy BSG:

There have been several reports circulating around, most recently on the BSG Internet Talk Show “Subject-to-Discussion”, that the Studio, magazines like TV Guide which recently featured BSG on the cover, and Advertisers have been only receiving “negative” letters and e-mail condemning BSG. Please take a few minutes of your time and send a few e-mails indicating your enjoyment and support of the show. A few contact urls and e-mail addresses are listed below and you can just fill out the boxes with your comments and send it:

NBC/Universal Studios[/url]

TV Guide

The Sci-Fi Channel Programming Dept:
    [email protected]

If you have recorded the show, note which companies advertised on the show and in most cases they have a website where you can send either an e-mail or list an address where you can send a postal letter to thank them for supporting the show.

Don’t let a few dictate or try to ruin/cancel a program, any program for that matter, that you enjoy and watch. Thank you for your time and effort.

Here is a download link of yesterday’s S2D program that mentions the above situation:
    March 30, 2005 – BSG Fan Discussion:

BTW and I am *NOT* affiliated or associated with anybody at that program:

*Katee Sachkoff* is next weeks guest on the “Subject-to Discussion” show. The program will air live next Wed, April 06, 2005 at 6pm PST. Just click on the link below and then click on the “Listen Now” button located at the website:
    LVRocks – Subject2Discussion[/url]

You can leave questions for Katee at:
    http://www.subject2discussion.blogspot.com/
    OR join the chat/cam at the LVRocks website during the show and submit your questions that way.

๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

The show has already been renewed for 20 eps. So for the next year at least there is no chance of BSG being cancelled. And that’s a fact.

Besides which, it has received unprecedented ratings, promotion, and attention from far beyond Sci-Fi’s demographic. In other words, it is their most successful show in history.

You sure you didn’t fall prey to an Aprils Fools joke early? I can’t for a second believe that Sci-Fi listens to a few negative emails for successful shows, and ignores the tens of thousands of emails for their cancelled shows.

Writing email and letters in support, is never going to hurt. But don’t fret, BSG is safe.

Shiroekitsune
    Participant

It more than likely the Whiners of the old show bandwagon.

Its not a normal scripted show, old school is ok but cheesy! I love the new RL setting or what if and what not.

Wish more shows were written like the new BSG.

hishadow
    Participant

The pilots’ helmets have a long overhead visor, like the bill of a baseball cap, which is contrived to house the lights that illuminate the actors’ faces for the camera. Logically, though, the glare of these lights inside the visor would blind the pilot, and the long bill would obscure the pilot’s upward field of vision. The design makes little sense.

http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=2075

The three things I like most about the old Battlestar Galactia are the music, the cool looking Cylons, and the interaction between the characters. The new Battlestar Galactica has none of these things.

http://www.galacticablog.com/2003_12_01_battlestar.html

Hear! Hear!

While we’re on the subject of clothing, the civilian clothes are pretty silly looking as well … So, what, we’re supposed to assume that leisure suits and neckties arose by parallel evolution in two unrelated areas of the galaxy? In a crowd scene, one guy is clearly wearing a denim jacket with “KISS” written on the back in rhinestones. Are we to assume that the KISS Army likewise developed in parallel on two unrelated worlds?

The Galactica’s control room, however, looks cheap and cheesy. It’s got large stacks of controls that obviously do nothing, and who’s only purpose is to flop over when the ship gets hit by a missile, or what have you.

The music in the show is the worst kind of keyboard-and-drum machine tripe.

Cylon fighters basically look like the Batwing from Batman, or a Kilraithi fighter from Wing Commander, or (my choice) a Centauri fighter from Babylon 5, minus the cool purple paintjob.

There is no ‘character’ underneath their bitching, if you understand what I mean.

Anyway, Olmos … His character is not particularly smart, nor likeable, nor gruff, nor nothing, he’s just this boring old guy who whispers too much and has really bad skin.

It’s not about Science Fiction, because SF is fundamentally a genre of ideas, and there’s not one single new goddamn idea in this 240 minute waste of time and money.

http://www.mahatmarandy.com/reviews/BGRemake.htm

Those are all good points! :mrgreen:

Well, it seems that some old fans are just disappointed with how the new series turned out, as well as scifi fans that don’t like the “adult” take on scifi.

damocles
    Participant

Quote:

The pilots’ helmets have a long overhead visor, like the bill of a baseball cap, which is contrived to house the lights that illuminate the actors’ faces for the camera. Logically, though, the glare of these lights inside the visor would blind the pilot, and the long bill would obscure the pilot’s upward field of vision. The design makes little sense.

http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.html?id=2075

And those sidebar lights on those choosey “Egyptian” helmets didn’t serve the same purpose and have the same effect?

I do admit that Ron Moore cliche #112(2001 A Space Odyssey style pressure suit helmets) skidded right by me.

Quote:
    The three things I like most about the old Battlestar Galactia are the music, the cool looking Cylons, and the interaction between the characters. The new Battlestar Galactica has none of these things.

http://www.galacticablog.com/2003_12_01_battlestar.html

Points in order;
    1. New “Battlestar Galactica” music is awful.
    2. The old Cylons Centurions were better, but the biocylons(created for budget reasons in the writing) add a “fifth column” element of political terrorism that I like.
    3. Its a different reality matrix, mate. If you can’t see that the new characters interact-especially Olmos and McDonnell, then you are missing the drama right in front of you. Don’t confuse “charisma” for acting; though Grace Park has “charisma” in spades. Now Tricia Helfer who plays Six, the Heifer on the other hand….can one say MOO?

————————————————————————————–

Hear! Hear!

There! There! ๐Ÿ˜†

Quote:

While we’re on the subject of clothing, the civilian clothes are pretty silly looking as well … So, what, we’re supposed to assume that leisure suits and neckties arose by parallel evolution in two unrelated areas of the galaxy? In a crowd scene, one guy is clearly wearing a denim jacket with “KISS” written on the back in rhinestones. Are we to assume that the KISS Army likewise developed in parallel on two unrelated worlds?

Anyone who parallels evolves “disco” fashions who reaches Earth would have to be “re-educated” the Chinese way in my opinion.(Shudder)

The Galactica’s control room, however, looks cheap and cheesy. It’s got large stacks of controls that obviously do nothing, and who’s only purpose is to flop over when the ship gets hit by a missile, or what have you.

Which piece of cheese er Battlestar were you addressing? ๐Ÿ˜€

The music in the show is the worst kind of keyboard-and-drum machine tripe.

Addressed-see above.

Cylon fighters basically look like the Batwing from Batman, or a Kilraithi fighter from Wing Commander, or (my choice) a Centauri fighter from Babylon 5, minus the cool purple paintjob.

The Cylon “goat” has problems I admit-notably its guns would shoot its wings off in the universe we inhabit.

There is no ‘character’ underneath their bitching, if you understand what I mean.

Addressed-see above.

Anyway, Olmos … His character is not particularly smart, nor likeable, nor gruff, nor nothing, he’s just this boring old guy who whispers too much and has really bad skin.
    ….

Obviously I regard this as a superficial analysis of the character of “William Adama” See my review of “The Hand of God” for details.

It’s not about Science Fiction, because SF is fundamentally a genre of ideas, and there’s not one single new goddamn idea in this 240 minute waste of time and money.

http://www.mahatmarandy.com/reviews/BGRemake.htm

Aw (expletive deleted) bias! Don’t you just love it! Points in order again.

1. It is about the social order of an advanced society under the threat of terror and political stress while recovering from a shattering event. The aftereffects of Genocide, plus labratting by a superior enemy isn’t science fiction?
    2. Old ideas; new approach? See the Iliad and the Aeneid for details, chum.
    3. If it sells soap then in the universe in which I live, it isn’t a waste of time and money! Something has to pay for the actors and sets!

Those are all good points!

I suppose, but I HATE sour grapes. I prefer to drink my wine, and save my vinegar for tossed salads. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, it seems that some old fans are just disappointed with how the new series turned out, as well as scifi fans that don’t like the “adult” take on scifi.

On THAT I absolutely agree! ๐Ÿ˜€

mandara k
    Participant

To be absolutely honest at this time, i don’t give a felder if it flies or not. I’ve had ENOUGH of the constant bickering of these fans and everyone beating other posters over the head with their slant on it whether that be the technical, or the military or the science, or even jst putting the agenda that’s it’s a good show. I just don’t like this fan base. they don’t agree on much of anything and they fight all the time. i lke LEXX better, the fan base was more fun and more open.

Good luck, though on getting support. Though you don’t need it now, this show after 20 eps could be in deep doo doo, and you’ll need to unify by then.

I refuse to duel in threads about a fracking TV show, and I learned this from personal experience, just because you write more does not mean you win the arguement. Less is better in our busy world, use more description, lees words.

Toodles all, have fun or try to “cause this is what’s needed.

Sci -Fi
    Participant
    ”LexxLurker” wrote:

The show has already been renewed for 20 eps. So for the next year at least there is no chance of BSG being cancelled. And that’s a fact.

Besides which, it has received unprecedented ratings, promotion, and attention from far beyond Sci-Fi’s demographic. In other words, it is their most successful show in history.

You sure you didn’t fall prey to an Aprils Fools joke early? I can’t for a second believe that Sci-Fi listens to a few negative emails for successful shows, and ignores the tens of thousands of emails for their cancelled shows.

Writing email and letters in support, is never going to hurt. But don’t fret, BSG is safe.

I agree with your points. After double checking, it appears it is *not* an April Fool’s joke. Sad to hear about people actively trying to cancel *any* show that others are enjoying. BSG will live or die on it’s own merits like any other program. If you think about it, if one is enjoying a program and it appears to be doing well in the ratings, there’s no reason why someone will take the time to write. Believe the e-mail is an attempt to take a pro-active approach to counter any negative campaigning that has been going on. The internet radio broadcast also confirms what was in the e-mail. The posting is just an FYI, nothing more or less.

damocles
    Participant

Posted: 01 Apr 2005 12:07 pm Post subject:

——————————————————————————–

To be absolutely honest at this time, i don’t give a felder if it flies or not. I’ve had ENOUGH of the constant bickering of these fans and everyone beating other posters over the head with their slant on it whether that be the technical, or the military or the science, or even jst putting the agenda that’s it’s a good show. I just don’t like this fan base. they don’t agree on much of anything and they fight all the time. i lke LEXX better, the fan base was more fun and more open.

An opinion. You’re entitled.

Good luck, though on getting support. Though you don’t need it now, this show after 20 eps could be in deep doo doo, and you’ll need to unify by then.

Lives or dies on merits. Advertisers decide based on viewer numbers. Optimistic. Quality sells.

I refuse to duel in threads about a fracking TV show, and I learned this from personal experience, just because you write more does not mean you win the arguement. Less is better in our busy world, use more description, lees words.

You put own dog in this fight. Reply to dog, “Bite me!” ๐Ÿ˜†

Argument.

Less.

Succinct?

Cheers! ๐Ÿ˜€

mandara k
    Participant

“Bite me!”

You’re boring me.

Is that succinct enough for you?

Or do want to troll some more?

Headgehog
    Participant

Must resist urge… to moderate forum, …must resist urge[/i]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.